How to dress for MDR (teens/tweens)

They should dress like young ladies and gentlemen. Time to learn or be reminded about "a time & a place" for dressing beyond blue jeans and shorts and to practice excellent manners. The first of many expectations as they grow up.

Any suggestions for a 13 year old girl who refuses to wear dresses or skirts? She is just not a girly girl. What is appropriate without a nightly fight?

What would your daughter wear at home to church or to a very expensive restaurant ?

I'm sure your daughter wants to go on the cruise, possibly this is a teaching moment in compromise.

In our home it was dressing as a young lady or gentlemen and there was no argument. It was not all the time but it did happen and at 13 your daughter is a young lady.

I can give an 8 yr old a break but if she wants to eat with the family in the MDR she should have a cute sun dress or 2 and a wild fun skirt and cute top. Yes you will see adults and kids of all ages not dressed appropriately but I don't think that's an excuse!

Enjoy your cruise and your family !

We have 3 boys (18, 17 and 14) and have enjoyed many family cruises over the years. When they were younger we "suggested, enforced, etc" dress pants and dress shirt and tie on formal nights, khakis and collar shirt on casual nights. (One pair dress pants worn twice, two pairs of khakis each worn twice). The first night on board tends to be more casual since maybe some are still waiting for their luggage, so we all usually wear what we wore on board to dinner. Except for our youngest who is usually at the pool so he has to change.

As the years have progressed, we have altered that some.

On casual nights they wear "dressy" shirts sometimes without a collar. The older boys last time brought jackets to wear on formal nights, purely their own choice.

Don't stress too much about it. It's so much more relaxed than 10 years ago and it's a varied dress code. Some are happy about it, some unhappy, but it is what it is.

Enjoy your time!!

Any suggestions for a 13 year old girl who refuses to wear dresses or skirts? She is just not a girly girl. What is appropriate without a nightly fight?

She can wear slacks and a shirt just fine! No need for dresses or skirts - it's not the 50s anymore! I wore linen pants and regular black slacks several nights, and leggings and a tunic top others as an adult...just have her look put together/finished...her knees do not have to be showing!

I had sons, but we taught our kids our version of "manners." We taught them not to wear hats indoors. We taught them not to talk with their mouths full. We taught them not to slouch or sit at the table with their elbows on it. We taught them to dress appropriately for the occasion (including ties on Formal Night). I'm not criticizing anyone, only expressing what we chose to do as parents. My one comment, and it really isn't intended to pass any criticism or judgement, is that you are the parent. It's time to teach your daughter whatever you consider appropriate to function in society as an adult. If that means wearing a dress to dinner on a cruise, so be it. If not, then not. Is it necessary? No. So, it's up to you. The only partially enforced rule is no shorts. Everything else is up to you.

For info, my oldest son is a Navy Officer. He has been selected to Command a Fighter Squadron. Any military officer will tell you that appropriate manners, dress, decorum, behavior are just as important as performance.

Just my opinion.

Spend a lot of money to look FORMAL, unless you want the kids to have an dress up experience.

Two pair(or even one) of dark pants or even tan pants and polo pull over shirts, for regular nights, same pants with a collared button up shirt with our without tie on "FORMAL NIGHTS" is OK. Nylon pants that convert to shorts, maybe a good buy for a cruise and can be found at reasonable prices a some sports stores.

Many people will not even dress that good on Regular or FORMAL NIGHTS, and some will for personal reasons DRESS TO THE NINES.

Shoe, only women seem to worry about shoes, no one looks at mens shoe unless they are special, like red tennis shoes with a TUX.

You already have your answer but I thought that you may enjoy my experience with a teen guy....

My nephew went on our last cruise with us. My sister has joined me before for a cruise, so she knew what to pack for her son. She would text me (venting) that he kept fussing at her for adding "so many dress clothes" (this of course was with eye rolls and huffs) She just kept telling him, I promise you will NEED these! Fast forward to first night on board.... Luggage arrived too close to dinner time to unpack clothes for the first night's dinner, so we wore what we had wore on the ship.:p Hee hee, he was wearing a kool aid man t-shirt w/shorts.

We sit down to order and soon after he comments "Man, I feel REALLY underdressed!" :rolleyes::eek::D I could not wait to share that comment with his momma!!!!

Enjoy your cruise!

Since it seems that many are posting with a single view point, I feel the need to post our experience. I have a 14 yo son who, apparently unlike all the other kids of posters on this board, absolutely hates to dress up. We have gone on cruises the last three years. He has never worn long pants on casual night. Never. We always eat in the MDR and we have never been turned away or even been spoken to.

We do force him to wear khaki type pants on formal nights.

I recommend looking at Goodwill. Kids grow so fast they often outgrow rather than wear out their nice clothes. DS had to wear khakis, sport coat, shirt and tie to high school. He was 5 foot tall when he started, 6 foot tall at graduation. Goodwill saved us lots of money!

When my son was a teen, we always wore khakis and a polo shirt to dinner on casual nights. He would come back from hanging out on the sports deck, take a quick shower, change, eat dinner and then be back in shorts and a tshirt for the rest of the night. He only needed a couple of pairs of pants for the whole week since he wore them for about an hour and a half each night.

This always worked with my nephew (25), teenage grandson (17) and even the little (4yr old) grandson. Khakis, polos or short sleeve button/collard shirts on causual nights and dress pants with dress shirt and tie for formal nights. the husbands wore suits :D One cruise my youngest grandson 2 at the time wore the most darling Tux...he was miserable in all his pictures and we never did that to him again...He was a looker though ;):)

My daughter wears a sundress to dinner, which is pretty easy for girls. For the boys im not sure, but most people aren't going to judge you for letting them come as they are, especially since most kids don't have a lot of "formal" clothes or office wear and certainly shouldn't be expected to buy it special for a vacation. But if they have a pair of church clothes or holiday clothes, bring those :)

Super ideas...my granddaughters also wore cute sundresses for causal dinners and wore their Sunday's Best for formal nights. We just added pretty hair accessories and cute jewelry to make them look and feel extra special :D

When my son was a teen, we always wore khakis and a polo shirt to dinner on casual nights. He would come back from hanging out on the sports deck, take a quick shower, change, eat dinner and then be back in shorts and a tshirt for the rest of the night. He only needed a couple of pairs of pants for the whole week since he wore them for about an hour and a half each night.

We have traveled for many years with teen boys. We do exactly like the above and only carried a couple of pairs of khakis and 3-4 polos which they just rotated, except for the formal nights. Ours have been cruising since just short of 4 years old and are now 21. They still follow the same packing with regard to what to wear in the MDR. They love the MDR dinner so much, they never complained and when friends went along, they also brought the same clothing.

Thanks. It is Caribbean. Three boys, ages 13, 11, and 10. So, somewhat young men, but not 'men' yet. I just don't want to buy a too many formal clothes since they don't wear them typically. I will have to find a way to mix and match and make sure they don't stain the pants too quickly so they can re-wear them a few times. Thank you.

Hey MaisyM, I think we are going on the same cruise in December 2016..For my grandson, I always pack three dress khakis..Black/brown/navy..Then lots of shirts to mix and match with endless possibilities. I usually reserve the black pants for the formal nights and choose 2 dress shirts with matching ties. The brown and navy pants, I alternate the casual nights with cotton button shirts or polos. The very first night for dinner is pretty laid back and isnt a big deal what you wear. My guys (men folk) usually wear what ever we boarded in as we have first seating. It's always us gals that have to change and can't be seen in the same thing...lol:D

Each to his own.... Mine hated to, but he wanted to cruise and with cruising and family outings there are expectations. Rules are for everyone and we don't always like them. Am troubled by the parents who want to make excuses as to why their children can't or should not be expected to follow a simple dress code??

What in heavens name will they expect as an adult ??? When will they learn there is a time and a place, for play clothes, school clothes and dress clothes.

By the way the single point of view is that the MDR has a dress code. And it's for everyone not just adults.

My two cents and I will now shut up.

Since it seems that many are posting with a single view point, I feel the need to post our experience. I have a 14 yo son who, apparently unlike all the other kids of posters on this board, absolutely hates to dress up. We have gone on cruises the last three years. He has never worn long pants on casual night. Never. We always eat in the MDR and we have never been turned away or even been spoken to.

We do force him to wear khaki type pants on formal nights.

You are not alone! My boys will wear long pants to dinner because I'm forcing them to do it, but I'm not happy about it and wish the guideline would change. I'm 100% in favor of teaching kids proper manners and dress, but to me, a Caribbean cruise in 95 degree weather, a thousand miles away on VACATION, when I get charged for extra luggage and there's barely any closet room, is NOT the time or place for it!!

(Packing right now and feeling very irritated..)

You are not alone! My boys will wear long pants to dinner because I'm forcing them to do it, but I'm not happy about it and wish the guideline would change. I'm 100% in favor of teaching kids proper manners and dress, but to me, a Caribbean cruise in 95 degree weather, a thousand miles away on VACATION, when I get charged for extra luggage and there's barely any closet room, is NOT the time or place for it!!

(Packing right now and feeling very irritated..)

one pair of khakis is not too much to ask for. furthermore with those pants with the zip off legs( even my husband owns a pair) do not take up any space and provide twice as much wearability

there are also lightweight slacks( linen, and tropic weight) that negate the 'its too hot' argument.

Will agree with many others here. What we have done is bring a pair or dark pants (black or navy) and a pair of khakis. You can then dress those up or down as desired for both formal and casual nights. Since they are just worn at dinner, you can usually get away with just the 2 pair on a 7 night cruise.

My DS and DH both wore khaki pants and polos for non formal nights. They also wore those same pants with dress shirts and nice ties for formal nights DS did not own a suit jacket and at the rate he was growing I'd have to buy it the wee k before the cruise or he'd have outgrown it! They looked lovely in our family pic and blended in nicely in the MDR.

DD is going trough this phase also. She's gotten into wearing very nice longer top/blouses and leggings with dressy sandals/shoes when she refused to wear dresses.

Edited by newbiecruiser09

one pair of khakis is not too much to ask for. furthermore with those pants with the zip off legs( even my husband owns a pair) do not take up any space and provide twice as much wearability

there are also lightweight slacks( linen, and tropic weight) that negate the 'its too hot' argument.

Linen pants? For a tween boy? In 2015? I don't think they even sell those!

I have three growing kids and their pants size/style changes at least twice a year. We should not be required to buy special clothes just to go on vacation. With the exception of band performances and high school graduation, there isn't even one single requirement in school to wear pants. Here in MD there are very, very few restaurants of any price range that do not allow nice shorts at dinner during summer. Disney moved to allow shorts many years ago. Still hoping RCI follows suit soon.

Edited by clawmachine

Linen pants? For a tween boy? In 2015? I don't think they even sell those!

I have three growing kids and their pants size/style changes at least twice a year. We should not be required to buy special clothes just to go on vacation. With the exception of band performances and high school graduation, there isn't even one single requirement in school to wear pants. Here in MD there are very, very few restaurants of any price range that do not allow nice shorts at dinner during summer. Disney moved to allow shorts many years ago. Still hoping RCI follows suit soon.

This is a genuine question - if Disney suits you better why are you spending your money with Royal Caribbean? You mentioned earlier being irritated when packing, this doesn't seem a great way to start a vacation!