New in Oceania: My Presentation and some questions

jimcruiser1982

Hi everybody!

Next 21 August I will stay in Baltic cruise with Marina ship.

The previous two years I have sailed with Holland Ameriaca Line (Nieuw Amsterdam) and Celebrity (Reflection)

what I value most in a sail is the service, good facilities, food and itinerary

I liked Nieuw Amsterdam, great stateroom, outstanding service. Classic ship but beautiful and good food.

About Celebrity, I disappointed me because I think I expected too much. Everyone told me that the service and the food was outstanding, but I did not see it that way. The service, well, average and the food did not really like, some dishes poorly prepared and repetitive. But, very good facilities and modern boat

I hope my future cruise in Marina is fine (respect to facilities, service, food and itinerary)

I have some question (some question, I think are silly...jejje, sorry):

Captain's welcome: when is? I have read in some reviews is the second day in the cruise. What is so special?

Dinnig: I have read various menus of the GDR and the specialities. I can read entreé, appetizer,salad, main course...etc. My question is: How may dishes is a regular menú?

And, if I want to repeat or choose two diferente dishes (for example, two main or two appetizers...) it is possible? (Sometimes, I like to prove two dishes and I share with my couple

Terrace café: I love pasta and pizzas. Has Terrace café different types of pasta (fettucine, ravioli, lasagna...) with different sauces to choose? There are a homemade pizzas?

I have reserved all my specialities restaurant, but I would like to try more reservations if I could. We always eat toO late (9:00 pm). Do you thinh in this time could be easier to obtain extra reservation? where I have to go to ask for availability? (I have standard balcony room, so I don't have butler)

I would also like you to tell me some tips or something I should not miss me

Thank you!!!

I'm sorry if my english is not very good, I am from Spain

Dinnig: I have read various menus of the GDR and the specialities. I can read entreé, appetizer,salad, main course...etc. My question is: How may dishes is a regular menú?

I think you're asking how much food can you order. The answer is as much as you want. If you want to order something from every single category on the menu, simply do so. If you want to order more than one dish from a single category, simply do so. And you can specify if you want your dishes brought simultaneously or whether you'd like two dishes from the same course treated as separate courses.

On two occasions recently, I sort of ordered two main dishes. In both cases, the menu listed a vegetarian pasta dish and a sauteed shrimp preparation. I ordered both and asked the waiter to put the shrimp from one dish onto the pasta. No problem. The waiter took care of this modification at the waiters' stand before the food was brought to the table. It is not something that will occur in the kitchen. (Similarly, don't bother asking for a small portion of several dishes. The kitchen serves standard portions. Eat what you want if you order several dishes.)

I have reserved all my specialities restaurant, but I would like to try more reservations if I could. We always eat toO late (9:00 pm). Do you thinh in this time could be easier to obtain extra reservation? where I have to go to ask for availability? (I have standard balcony room, so I don't have butler)

You will find you're eating later than most of the diners on the ship. I believe the Grand Dining Room still accepts new diners until 9:30 PM. I believe the Specialty Restaurants accept new diners until 9:00 PM. I'm believe the Terrance Restaurant closes earlier than the service restaurants. Now having said you'll be admitted to the restaurant, you may find the experience a bit odd. You may be the only customers in the dining room for some/all of your meal. We ate somewhere between 7:30 and 8:30 each evening and I know we were one of only two couples finishing our meal in Toscana the evening when we began at 8:30 PM.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Well the special part of the Captains party is free drinks for a few hours pre dinner throughout the ship. You can also meet the Captain and staff.

I guess you could have a five course dinner if you wanted, you can mix and match all you want and order two of stuff.

Yes they have different pasta in the terrace each day as I remember however I do not remember pizza however I avoid it on all ships.

Eating late is the best time to get reservations, seems early is the most popular. There is a desk in the lobby for making reservations open during the day.

Oceania ships are new and kept it excellent shape, you will enjoy the trip.

Edited by hypercafe

There is "cook to order" pasta in the Terrace each evening. It is different each evening, but there is not usually more than one choice that evening.

There is also a pasta dish in the main dining room each evening. There is a choice of sauces. You will find it under the "always available" section of the menu. You can have the pasta as an entree' or enjoy a smaller portion as an appetizer. I, too, love pasta, and try to have some each evening, usually as an appetizer or a pasta course.

Your English is much better than my Spanish!

I only remember pizza on the Regatta and it didn't look very good because it was sitting there too long. Barely anyone wanted pizza given the choice of so many other delicious foods. I can have pizza at home any time.

The food on Oceania ships is delicious and certainly more varied and better prepared than on Holland America ships. HAL seems to cater to the 'bland is better' crowd.

Also it is easy to ask for an appetizer sized serving of many dishes. Risotto, pasta, etc are very easy to order this way. We do it all the time.

Our last night on the ship, we were paired with a couple for dinner. The wife ordered at least an appetizer and, possibly, a salad. When she ordered her main dish, she selected three dishes and very emphatically stated that she wanted a very small portion of each of them. Three full-sized portions of food were delivered.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Regarding pizza, about 10 years ago we spoke with the pizza guy on Regatta. He had owned his own restaurant at one time (perhaps I am misremembering and he had just worked at a restaurant). Whatever.

His point was that at least on Regatta they did not have a proper pizza oven. They just cannot get the high temperatures a real pizza place can. That being said, we find the pizza to be good although not great. We get better at our neighborhood place. But we like the pizza well enough on Oceania's ships that we'll have a few slices during a cruise.

Mura

When we were on Marina i found the dining room very cold esp after everyone left .w like to eat at around 8 pm and the place was moztly empty .after getting to know the chef in Terrace cafe we started to eat outdoors under the moon .it was wonderful esp in front of Bora Bora .Every night they had meats and fish made to order on the grill ....always fresh alwYs delicious

We liked it so much we never went back to the dining room ....loved stargazing while enjoying dinner and we were no longer coooooolllld

Do bring sweaters and Jackets if you plan to eat indoors esp late

The other grill had tuna steaks ,steaks and lobster and delivered to the Terrace outdoors ...loved it ...they give you a number tp put on your table and they bring it to you ...very nice

We enjoyed most of the specialty restaurants esp the Asian one ....the Jacques was way to rich and buttery for my taste ...the steak house was very good ..Italian soso ..but all that is a matter of taste ...

Hi everybody!

Next 21 August I will stay in Baltic cruise with Marina ship.

The previous two years I have sailed with Holland Ameriaca Line (Nieuw Amsterdam) and Celebrity (Reflection)

what I value most in a sail is the service, good facilities, food and itinerary

I liked Nieuw Amsterdam, great stateroom, outstanding service. Classic ship but beautiful and good food.

About Celebrity, I disappointed me because I think I expected too much. Everyone told me that the service and the food was outstanding, but I did not see it that way. The service, well, average and the food did not really like, some dishes poorly prepared and repetitive. But, very good facilities and modern boat

I hope my future cruise in Marina is fine (respect to facilities, service, food and itinerary)

I have some question (some question, I think are silly...jejje, sorry):

Captain's welcome: when is? I have read in some reviews is the second day in the cruise. What is so special?

And, if I want to repeat or choose two diferente dishes (for example, two main or two appetizers...) it is possible? (Sometimes, I like to prove two dishes and I share with my couple

Terrace café: I love pasta and pizzas. Has Terrace café different types of pasta (fettucine, ravioli, lasagna...) with different sauces to choose? There are a homemade pizzas?

I would also like you to tell me some tips or something I should not miss me

Thank you!!!

I'm sorry if my english is not very good, I am from Spain

First, let me say I have enjoyed the many times we have visited your country!

Your english is fine & most of your questions have been answered in the above posts.

I think you have done one of the important tip, and it is to join Cruise Critic!

Research and plan the ports of your itinerary.

Hotel and transfers are LESS expensive if you book them on your own.

Join the 'RollCall' for your cruise.

Oceania tours are more expensive than the other lines that you have sailed, so you have the option to join a group from your RollCall. You can start a group yourself, it is usually not difficult to get the 2-3 couples needed for a private tour.

Let us know how you enjoyed your cruise, bon voyage.

When we went on a South Pacific cruise last year on the Marina, many people ate fairly early. When we went on a Baltic cruise on the Marina last summer, many people started eating fairly late especially in the Main Dining Room. Maybe this was because there were more people accustomed to eating late on that cruise and also maybe because of late returns from touring.

The Dawn Princess had a proper pizza oven and produced excellent pizza. I thought that was the best feature of that ship. ;)

Princess is known for their excellent pizza!!! "Full disclosure"...our DD works for Princess and we have sailed with them many times in the past (we don't get a discount but enjoy being on board with her)...but we don't sail with them at all anymore...as their food ...IMO..is just pretty awful...EXCEPT for that great pizza!! Even the food in the "Officer's Mess" was poor...but do love their pizza!! ;) LuAnn

I think you're asking how much food can you order. The answer is as much as you want. If you want to order something from every single category on the menu, simply do so. If you want to order more than one dish from a single category, simply do so. And you can specify if you want your dishes brought simultaneously or whether you'd like two dishes from the same course treated as separate courses.

On two occasions recently, I sort of ordered two main dishes. In both cases, the menu listed a vegetarian pasta dish and a sauteed shrimp preparation. I ordered both and asked the waiter to put the shrimp from one dish onto the pasta. No problem. The waiter took care of this modification at the waiters' stand before the food was brought to the table. It is not something that will occur in the kitchen. (Similarly, don't bother asking for a small portion of several dishes. The kitchen serves standard portions. Eat what you want if you order several dishes.)

You will find you're eating later than most of the diners on the ship. I believe the Grand Dining Room still accepts new diners until 9:30 PM. I believe the Specialty Restaurants accept new diners until 9:00 PM. I'm believe the Terrance Restaurant closes earlier than the service restaurants. Now having said you'll be admitted to the restaurant, you may find the experience a bit odd. You may be the only customers in the dining room for some/all of your meal. We ate somewhere between 7:30 and 8:30 each evening and I know we were one of only two couples finishing our meal in Toscana the evening when we began at 8:30 PM.

Actually, you can order a second main course item in an appetizer sized portion if you so desire.

Actually, you can order a second main course item in an appetizer sized portion if you so desire.

This kind of exchange gets really silly. I believe you have the experience to back up your claim. I hope you can accept that I have the experience to back up my claim.

The only thing we can reasonably conclude is that getting an appetizer-sized portion of a main dish is a random occurrence dependent on the initiative of the waiter. It is not possible to make an absolute claim. Whether or not that policy appears in writing, it may not or may not translate into reality on board a ship.

This kind of exchange gets really silly. I believe you have the experience to back up your claim. I hope you can accept that I have the experience to back up my claim.

The only thing we can reasonably conclude is that getting an appetizer-sized portion of a main dish is a random occurrence dependent on the initiative of the waiter. It is not possible to make an absolute claim. Whether or not that policy appears in writing, it may not or may not translate into reality on board a ship.

You are correct that YRMV. My post would have been more correct had I said "should be able to..."

Next time you are on an O ship and a waiter says "no appetizer portions," just tell him you know me. :-)

In my experience Toscana is the place that offers the most options for an appetizer portion, especially in the pasta section. Even some of those appetizer portions are quite large (at least to my eyes and stomach). And there's a "trio" pasta selection as I recall that is supposed to be smaller portions but I don't think we've ever managed to finish it.

I can't speak to the possibility of getting main courses served in smaller portions in the other restaurants (especially the GDR) simply because we've never tried that. OTOH, my husband has frequently ordered multiple main courses, etc. He was always happy, but then for a small man he can eat a heck of a lot!

Mura

Hi everybody!

Dining: I have read various menus of the GDR and the specialities. I can read entreé, appetizer,salad, main course...etc. My question is: How may dishes is a regular menú?

People have replied about ordering extra (two main courses, etc.)

But I just wanted to tell you what I normally order -

an appetizer,

a soup or salad,

a main course,

and a sweet / dessert or a cheese course.

So four courses. Portions are sized to accommodate that. And of course, it is eaten slowly over a couple of hours.

I also order extra vegetables. There are some on the menu (listed as Side Dishes) but they often have others available too.

In the Grand Dining Room (GDR), you can also order from the spa menu - Canyon Ranch menu - listed on the left side of the menu. These are lighter versions of the main menu items. I sometimes mix and match.

Although I don't usually have them, petit fours are available as well, but not on the menu. Better for sharing with others.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Menus/13391/Grand-Dining-Dinner-Menu.pdf

And we often ask for a "sharing table" when we go to the dining room. This is a wonderful opportunity to meet shipmates. Just tell the maitre d' at the desk when you go into the dining room. That arrangement is just for that meal. They attempt to put together a table and treat you as one party. I prefer a table for six, not eight or four. Six is best for conversation.

I also got a main course as an appetizer portion while aboard the Nautica. Maybe I was just lucky.

There's another thread running about silly reviews. I just want to manage expectations on this topic; I don't want someone sailing on Oceania for the first time to get bent out of shape because he/she cannot compel the kitchen to send out appetizer-sized portions of main dishes.

Of course, everyone can eat as much or as little as he/she wants! But there are plenty of people who get annoyed when they make a request or give some instructions and realized that those instructions are not being followed. Since I've witnessed and experienced situations in which the waiter said that personalized portion size is not possible, except for the pasta menu in Toscana, I wanted to build a little flexibility into new cruisers' expectations.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Jimcruiser1982,

You have asked for tips: you can request the cabin fridge be filled with your preferred beverages ex: diet cola, tonic water etc...This request can be done prior to sailing through your Agent or to your cabin attendant if the request is for standard beverages.

If you have early morning private tours at a tender port, arrive at the lounge as soon as the doors open and present yourself as an independent traveler. They usually allow 'independents' along with the ' group tour' passengers if they too are leaving the ship early.