Toilets on board

Hi, I was wondering whether there are a lot of toilets on board the explorer of the seas (like is there some on most decks etc) I know there is one in the cabins, but I don't plan on being in my room much.

Also I was wondering if they have children's toilets?

I'm asking because my daughter will be toilet trained by then (she will be 3 at the time) so I want to know there will be easy access to toilets most places we go on board.

We started toilet training last week, specifically for the cruise (plus she needed to be toilet trained) and I would say she is already 80% there (no accidents for 3 days)

So by the time we go she would have been toilet trained for 7 months, so I don't want to have to put her in pull ups, which I have heard can get them to go backwards with toilet training.

I'm going to be bringing a toddler seat for our cabin toilet but hoping there are kids toilets available on board too, cos otherwise I have to hold her or she will fall in, which scares her.

Any info would be helpful thanks:)

You will probably find you have to hold her. The seats on the toilet things are very thin rings compared to the one is most American homes. I haven't had child of that age in 30 years, but if they had childs seats that fit over a regular seat, you might be able to use that.

I will look for kid-sized toilets when I sail this week (Oasis). I know that some of the public restrooms on DCL have the smaller seats but I don't think I've ever heard of it on Royal..

when mine were little, I sometimes carried a padded, fold up travel seat insert made specifically for this purpose. It was great! Don't know if I can post the link but on amazon it's called "Mommy's Helper Cushie Traveler."

Edited by clawmachine

Damn.... Well I'm guessing that's gonna be a pain having to go back to our room every time she needs to go, cos she hates being held on the toilet, it freaks her out, and she won't go.

And I'm not carrying the kids toilet seat thing around lol

You can see where all the public bathrooms are by viewing the deck plans

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?shipCode=EX

Thanks, I had a look and they seem to have toilets on most decks that aren't all cabins

I will look for kid-sized toilets when I sail this week (Oasis). I know that some of the public restrooms on DCL have the smaller seats but I don't think I've ever heard of it on Royal..

when mine were little, I sometimes carried a padded, fold up travel seat insert made specifically for this purpose. It was great! Don't know if I can post the link but on amazon it's called "Mommy's Helper Cushie Traveler."

Thank you, we have them here (I'm from Australia) which is similar to what I'll be bringing with me, but doesn't fold up.

So one of those would fit on the toilets in the public toilets onboard? As you may be able to tell, this will be my first cruise ever

The only kid height toilets that I am aware of are in Adventure Ocean.

Make sure you prepare your daughter for the noise of the toilets on the ship. The vacuum noise has been known to really scare some of the little kids.

Oh yay, that's going to be fun, she will freak out, she is only just starting to stop being completely terrified of the noise the plug makes when letting the bath out, is it an automatic flush, or manual? Cos if it's manual I think I can avoid her getting scared by getting her to wash her hands whilst I flush the toilet lol

Damn.... Well I'm guessing that's gonna be a pain having to go back to our room every time she needs to go, cos she hates being held on the toilet, it freaks her out, and she won't go.

I'm having a deja vu moment…my youngest granddaughter (age 3) had similar issues with potty training when we had to use public restrooms. She is a tiny little thing and was scared she would fall in. The good news is that she got over it within a few months. She's fine with normal size toilets now and has learned how to keep her balance on the seat. I hope the same will happen for you!

Now the noise of a vacuum toilet is something else! When we cruised with her in March we told her the ship had noisy potties, so after she finished she would cover her ears for the flush. By the end of the cruise she was okay with the noise too. Your daughter has some time to get used to things before you cruise, so hopefully by the time your ship sails she'll be more comfortable with public restrooms.

Judy

P.S. It's a manual flush - you close the lid, then flush.

Edited by foxgoodrich

My daughter bought a foldable potty seat for $10 on amazon for my grandson. It folds up, is lightweight and fits over most toilet seats. We carry it everywhere with us.

http://www.amazon.com/Sesame-Street-Framed-Friends-Folding/dp/B00076SL0I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438791514&sr=8-2&keywords=foldable+potty+seat

Thanks, I had a look and they seem to have toilets on most decks that aren't all cabins

Thank you, we have them here (I'm from Australia) which is similar to what I'll be bringing with me, but doesn't fold up.

So one of those would fit on the toilets in the public toilets onboard? As you may be able to tell, this will be my first cruise ever

I can't recall if I brought one on our cruise when my daughter was 3, but it definitely fit on other toilets we used when travelling, like at hotels, restaurants, and rest stops.

Edited by clawmachine

Oh yay, that's going to be fun, she will freak out, she is only just starting to stop being completely terrified of the noise the plug makes when letting the bath out, is it an automatic flush, or manual? Cos if it's manual I think I can avoid her getting scared by getting her to wash her hands whilst I flush the toilet lol

They are manual flush. It can get very loud in the public bathrooms after a show though when lots are using the bathroom, so just be warned. Flushing after she is out of the stall is a good idea but if she is noise sensitive, you might be better off in your cabin.

She might be an old pro at this by the time you cruise since you are just starting the toilet training process. See how she does in the next months before your cruise. One thing you might want to consider for your cabin is a collapsible stool so she can reach the sink and toilet on her own. There are lightweight plastic ones that fold completely flat and can fit easily in a suitcase.

Good luck with that :). We keep our travel toilet seat in the beach bag or diaper bag. My DD doesn't mind being held, but this is more sanitary IMO.

Not sure if this is your first child or not, but small children have to use the restroom more often. Esp when swimming for some reason (maybe taking in some water, ew). You will be doing a lot of running back and forth for no reason. But hey, to each their own.

It sort of sounds like an obnoxious 13-year old with adenoid issues sucking the last bits of a really thick milk shake through a straw that's too small:eek:

Good luck with that :). We keep our travel toilet seat in the beach bag or diaper bag. My DD doesn't mind being held, but this is more sanitary IMO.

Not sure if this is your first child or not, but small children have to use the restroom more often. Esp when swimming for some reason (maybe taking in some water, ew). You will be doing a lot of running back and forth for no reason. But hey, to each their own.

Now I have seen the foldable travel seas I'll be getting one of those for sure. The one we have is a hard plastic one that doesn't fold up, so that's what I meant when I said I wouldn't lug it around lol.

Yes she is my first and only child.

Edited by Amandah1987

To avoid the loud noise issue, I wold just let her out of the stall before flushing. Open the door, instruct her to go the sink area and then flush it for her. She'll be fine!

Also, you can probably just have her hold your hands while sitting on the seat (covered of course) so it's not like you are holding her up completely but just enough to keep her tushy up :p

You have 7mths to have her mature and not be scared of falling in... We just got done potty training out 2.5 year old, I thought for sure she wouldn't be trained in time by our cruise in april, but she surprised us and actually loves being a big girl. She goes on her little potty sometimes but now enjoys the big potty that mommy, daddy, and sister use. We do hold her but I have taught her to hold on to the seat with her hands to get her balance.

In seven months she will be an old pro at the big potty thing. You will probably look back and think "Why was I worried about this?" :)

Agreed! Don't stress..she will be fine. My daughter was scared of the loud noise in any puplic bathroom but it didn't keep her from actually using it.