Toilets on board

When we first started cruising, our daughter would use the toilet in the cabin, open the bathroom door, push the button to flush and run!!!! :D

She was 12 at the time :p

She's still cruising at 28 years old, so I guess she got used to it ;)

Guest maddycat

There is something else that you should know about the toilet system on ships. It are very sensitive. If anything other than the ship's toilet paper is put down the toilet, the toilet will be clogged. It will be out of service until one of the ship's plumbers can clear the system. Not only will your toilet be out of commission but all of the toilets in your cabin area (above, below and on either side of your cabin). So don't try to flush baby wipes and watch that your daughter doesn't flush anything down the toilet. Some children think that it is fun to play with the toilet and flush objects down the toilet.

Now I have seen the foldable travel seas I'll be getting one of those for sure. The one we have is a hard plastic one that doesn't fold up, so that's what I meant when I said I wouldn't lug it around lol.

Yes she is my first and only child.

The travel one will serve you well. [emoji3] esp with little girls. We have 3 boys and 1 girl, ages 3-16. Enjoy this age and your cruise!

Let her hold on to you more so than you holding on to her. Will give her more confidence if she is "in control". Children tend to get past things much faster if adults can learn to help them embrace fears rather than try to shield them and feed the fears. This is not to say we must dismiss fears but a little fast thinking can go a long way.

Tell her ahead of time what to expect, without dwelling on it. When you flush, laugh with her and tell her it needs to be loud enough for the little fishes to hear so they get out of the way of the approaching ship and don't get run over. Who could resist protecting a little fishy? Maybe each time she could even chant, "watch out! Swim away little fish"

Please don't have your husband take her. That just creeps me out, but you see it all the time.

Sometimes it just happens and when they gotta go, they gotta go! We have 2 granddaughters, age 3 and 6, and our son and DIL have different work schedules, so sometimes the girls are out and about with Dad and he has to take them to the Men's Room if they have to go.

We were out to eat with them last weekend, and I took the 3 year old to the restroom in the restaurant. She told me very seriously that she likes the girls' bathroom in restaurants better than the boys' bathroom because the boys pee in the SINK in their bathroom!:eek: (I probably should have used that teachable moment to tell her what a urinal is, but it took me a minute to figure out what she was talking about!)

Judy

Please don't have your husband take her. That just creeps me out, but you see it all the time.

Why does it creep you out?

I used to take my little girl to the tolet all the time, when she wanted to go everywhere with her daddy, what was I supposed to do when I was at the shops and she needed to go? Ask some stranger to tale her? Or aren't daddies allowed take their daughters out anymore?

Sometimes it just happens and when they gotta go, they gotta go! We have 2 granddaughters, age 3 and 6, and our son and DIL have different work schedules, so sometimes the girls are out and about with Dad and he has to take them to the Men's Room if they have to go.

We were out to eat with them last weekend, and I took the 3 year old to the restroom in the restaurant. She told me very seriously that she likes the girls' bathroom in restaurants better than the boys' bathroom because the boys pee in the SINK in their bathroom!:eek: (I probably should have used that teachable moment to tell her what a urinal is, but it took me a minute to figure out what she was talking about!)

Judy

Good on you and bet if you had a grandson you'd take him too.

I used to take my little girl to the tolet all the time, when she wanted to go everywhere with her daddy, what was I supposed to do when I was at the shops and she needed to go? Ask some stranger to tale her? Or aren't daddies allowed take their daughters out anymore?

Mens rooms are more open than ladies. I just don't like to be standing at the urinal with a 3 year old girl next to me. Just the way it is.

Plus, if you are on a cruise isn't mommy with her as well :what:

Edited by John&LaLa

I have been pleased to see more and more places offer the "family" restrooms. This is great for dads out with their young daughters, or even situations where moms or dads are out with older "special needs" children of the opposite gender. Disney is good about this, and I have notice the local movie theaters, malls, and airports with these facilities.

Good on you and bet if you had a grandson you'd take him too.

You betcha - if they gotta go, they gotta go. And it really doesn't matter where (ladies' or mens' room) the potty is located, if you have to find one for your little person, you'd better find one fast. Keeping the undies dry is a bit of a priority!

(but if I took my grandson, I'd tell him that he can't pee in the 'sink' in the ladies' restroom…;))

Judy

I have been pleased to see more and more places offer the "family" restrooms. This is great for dads out with their young daughters, or even situations where moms or dads are out with older "special needs" children of the opposite gender. Disney is good about this, and I have notice the local movie theaters, malls, and airports with these facilities.

Still nowehere near enough.

My DD is nearly 30, soon might even have grandkids to take, and if I need to take my grandaughter to the toilet I will. Contrary to what someone else thinks I never took her to the urinal I took her into a stall. I'm not sure what they want dads to do, hold their DDs over the gutter?

Still nowehere near enough.

My DD is nearly 30, soon might even have grandkids to take, and if I need to take my grandaughter to the toilet I will. Contrary to what someone else thinks I never took her to the urinal I took her into a stall. I'm not sure what they want dads to do, hold their DDs over the gutter?

:what: Never said anyone had their girl used urinal. I was using urinal while said girl stood and watched me. How about you go in the ladies room and see how that goes over. :D

Well today was our first time going out since we have started toilet training, and we had to use public toilets, twice. It did not go over well at all, like she was fine but it was so awkward and she looked so close to falling in, she was fine to go, but it was uncomfortable and it was so unhygienic with her holding onto the toilet seat.

So I think I'm going to get one of those foldable Seats for now lol

Damn.... Well I'm guessing that's gonna be a pain having to go back to our room every time she needs to go, cos she hates being held on the toilet, it freaks her out, and she won't go.

And I'm not carrying the kids toilet seat thing around lol

Remember that 7 months is a loooong time in the life of a 3 year old and potty training - don't panic yet! (not wanting to veer into parenting stuff)

Certainly none of the public toilets are child sized (probably in Adventure Ocean they are). The flushes are manual, so you can definitely wait until she's off the toilet and washing her hands before flushing (although maybe she'd be less scared if she pressed the button herself? I don't know - I guess depends on the kid). If you're worried about the noise of other people flushing, you could always use the handicapped accessible stalls which are separate (and would have more room for you to help her if needed). I think that having to go back to the cabin every time would, to be honest, be pretty difficult (I'm struggling to picture a 3 year old being able to hold on long enough to reliably get back to the cabin from the other end of the ship, 8 decks away). I think maybe try to work on her managing toilets independently is the best way forward. I'm really struggling to remember what I did when mine was that age (not on cruises, just generally). I definitely don't remember ever holding him over a toilet. I think maybe he had a little plastic footstool that he put his feet on which meant he was OK on the seat? Maybe carrying something like that would be more acceptable than carrying around a toilet seat (I quite agree with you about that lol).

Edited by cb140

I decided to go with one of those foldable toilet seats, because even though she might be well and truly toilet trained in 7 months, she will still be too small to sit on a normal toilet seat like adults, and I really do not want her having to hold onto the seat or me to balance.

Just wanted to know if they had kids toilets, so I was able to be prepared with what I should bring, so awesome they make foldable seats for kids, will make things much easier. I ordered one for now, and plan on bringing it any time we have to use public toilets.

I have a non foldable one in the car, for when we got to people's houses and things.

So I'm pretty set all my questions have been answered and had a lot of useful help (and helped me even for non cruising info lol)

Thanks everyone

• 4 months later...
In seven months she will be an old pro at the big potty thing. You will probably look back and think "Why was I worried about this?" :)

Haha, yes I feel a bit silly now, she is well and truly toilet trained now...

And I did use a foldable toilet seat in public for a while, but now I just hold her a little, it's much easier.

She is starting to be able to balance a little on her own, but only enough where I only need to hold her hand to stop her falling in lol

Trying to get her out of the habit of holding onto the seat, especially with all the lovely gastro bugs in cruise ships lol