Royal Caribbean vs All Inclusive - a perspective

Good thread. Lots of good posts on difference advantages drawbacks etc.

We do both and enjoy each for what it brings to the table. One thing to remember about AI's there are different levels much like do you book your cruise in an inside cabin or a suite. As with some of the mentioned higher level AI's can provide better amenities. We find that cruising is slightly cheaper but we are not yet staying in full suites which is probably more comparable to our land based choices.

It is still all vacation time and whole lot better than the cold up north during winter

We stayed at the Barcelo Maya Palace near Playa Del Carmen last year. If your a non-drinker, you end up paying for everyone's alcohol. The difference between a cruise and an AI is that you can leave your luggage, and see different ports. I also think the nightlife on a cruise has more things to do.

Like you said it depends on what you are looking for. I have done all inclusive's in my job (I'm an airline pilot and we've laid over 24 hours in Aruba, Cabo, and Jamaica). It's fantastic... for 24 hours. But my wife isn't a "beach person." She doesn't lie in the sun as she is very fair skinned. And I don't for hours on end. What I found most enjoyable at the AI's was the ability to find a chair (or hammock) and relax under a tree or umbrella while enjoying a cocktail of choice. I liked going to meals at my leisure, and picking a variety of eating options.

But for me cruise is king. I love to relax on my balcony and watch the ocean. I like the travel from place to place. I like the service on a cruise ship. And since I'm not one to lay by a pool for hours, cruising is just better for me. Plus I can drive to the port.

So, pretty subjective. Certainly plusses and minuses to each, but both are wonderful vacations.

Says it all!!! AGREE

Thank you this is a very interesting thread. It just so happens that my husband and I are going to an AI in Punta Cana end of January. Staying at the Royalton. We got a great deal with our travel agent. Saved hundreds of dollars with him.

So just for comparison's sake I priced a southern carribean cruise (which is what we would do if not AI) on Adventure of the seas in a regular balcony cabin since it's more of an apples to apples comparison.

AI with air = $2787

cruise with air = $4702

We can do almost 2 AI's for the price of 1 cruise.

I totally agree with the OP.

This past January I did a 5 night on Liberty of the Seas then a 5 night in at the Iberostar Suites in Jamaica.

Although they were both excellent vacations, I really do prefer cruising for the following reasons.

!. Being at sea

2. Entertainment

3. Quality of drinks. ( The Ai didn't have any Rye whiskey and only one type of beer).

It was nice not to have search for a beach chair, and it was very, very relaxing to sit and do absolutely nothing but, after four days I was ready to come home.

My husband & I decided to skip a cruise and go to Aruba for a week..

Did not do AI... this way we were free to chose where and when

OMG it was fantastic. Was so nice to be able to do excursions and not have to worrry about missing the "ship." Did one that last 9 hrs. all over the island in 4 wheel jeeps. private island (beach with pink flamingo's )

Would go to the local stop and have a drink(happy hour bogo and they were really good... especially Aruba Ariba) listening to the music and socialize with some locals.... the best people.

During our stay we saw RCCL ship... felt bad for the cruiser that they had to go back on it.. lol

Also we were able to celebrate the King Bday, his visit during their labor day..

We are doing a cruise in Jan.. with our first stop in Aruba; and will be sad when I have to go back on it..

Do plan on going again next year..

The most relaxing and restful vacation ever

Edited by rjrice1

i have done both. I will do both in the future. My experience about all-inclusives that I struggle with the food. I struggle with the quality of the booze in mid level AIs, such as Riu. High end all-inclusives still struggle with food. Entertainment is pretty much bad at AIs. I probably prefer staying at nice resorts that are not all inclusive, that are near proper cities where you can drive to different restaurants to eat. This is probably more expensive than either a cruise or definitely an AI. That said, to me that is the best vacation if you are wanting to go to a beach or island.

There is so much more to vacation though than a beach for us, that typically this is our least desireable type vacation. We travel to experience new things and I cruise RCI to use their flowrider and to see new things.

Good luck with the travel club... I avoid those like a plague. YMMV. JMHO.

jc

Yes, every all inclusive I has had someone there pitching a travel club scam to me.

With all-inclusives you have to do your research. The ones I went to were pretty good because of that. I have heard some bad stories. If you book one don't pick it just because a friend says they go there every year and love that resort.

I appreciate this post as I often wonder which might be the better value. Having the luxury of only being <1 hour away from the NJ coastline, we can spend anytime we want on a beach (summertime, obviously) so the beach experience is not THAT important to us, though we do love the beach. And we do take advantage of at least one beach day on a cruise. I just often wondered if 5-7 days in a row of it would get "old." Of course, relaxation really never gets old. I don't know -- food for thought, for sure. Thanks for your insight.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

1438902444943.jpg.87afa2caa56595b8d5c573e30245bae9.jpg

We have vacationed both ways many times and enjoyed each experience greatly! I agree with OP about everything especially the entertainment differences. That being said-we like to cruise to get a taste of many different ports and places- then deciding if we would like to go back to a place and stay for an longer visit. We really love cruising, because we really love being on the water. We did an AI river cruise and loved it. I have been thinking of doing a luxury all-inclusive large ship cruise and that way I can have the best of both worlds!

It depends on what's more important to you, the journey or the destinition. If it's the journey, you are probably better off cruising. If it's the destination, then a land based vacation works best. Before cruising, our favorite vacation was 10 days in a condo, on the ocean, in Maui. The total cost was about the same as a 14 day cruise from L.A. This was before the new pricing structure. Among the benefits not mentioned above was having a room bigger than a walk in closet and a bathroom bigger than an airplane bath. Being there longer, you also get a real feel for the area and it's culture. We have four cruises booked, but after that, we'll give Maui another shot.

Very interesting to hear everyone's opinion. I have a time share in Aruba and go yearly, but it's really inexpensive to cruise since I live close to three ports. When I get home from a cruise I need another vacation, I am beat!!! After Aruba I am on island time for at least a month. Nothing wrong with loving both and and I'm grateful to be able to enjoy each and every vacation.

We cruise with our thee teen sons and the entertainment options and teen activities/other teens on board is night and day better than what they have at AIs. (In our experience).

But there are some places we have traveled where we would not do a cruise because of the short days for exclusions - like New Zealand, etc. I agree your days can be cut short with shore excursions, but for us the Caribbean is more enjoyable on cruises.

But for our 20th anniversary we only had a few days so we did an AI in cancun, and it was fun, but we enjoy more activities, and I'm not sure why AIs can't get that fact and offer that. Even when our kids are gone we will do cruises over AIs.

One caveat. For younger kids AIs are awesome. They just seem to stop worrying about kids once they hit 12 or so. (In our experience).

Thank you this is a very interesting thread. It just so happens that my husband and I are going to an AI in Punta Cana end of January. Staying at the Royalton. We got a great deal with our travel agent. Saved hundreds of dollars with him.

So just for comparison's sake I priced a southern carribean cruise (which is what we would do if not AI) on Adventure of the seas in a regular balcony cabin since it's more of an apples to apples comparison.

AI with air = $2787

cruise with air = $4702

That cruise price with air seems so high!! We did an 8 day Celebrity Southern Carib/Bermuda repo, balcony concierge class with a bev package, $350 obc, and free gratuities (123 go promo) for under $3000.

My mouth dropped open...I believe you on the price but wow....

We've always cruised because I'm the deal finder and the price has never been right for AI. My husband also has ADHD and he gets bored sitting on the beach, staring at the same scenery day after day. We like the activities, and waking up in a new place (although we loved the overnight in Bermuda).

To each their own. We are open to any and all vacations, honestly....because we're not working!

My fiancé and I just returned from an all inclusive to Beaches Negril in Jamaica to see my brother get married. The place was amazing and we had lots of fun but I think I would prefer to cruise. Not to mention it's a 1 1/2 hour bus ride from the Montego Bay airport just to get to the resort.

We did our first and only cruise to Cozumel on Brilliance this past March and we fell in love. The sea is amazing (and we got engaged on that cruise so I might be a bit partial) and we just booked our Honeymoon Cruise for next September which is a 7 night on Adventure out of San Juan.

We just did the same this year - our first AI in Riviera Maya after 10 years of cruising and we loved it.. But truth be told, I was bored a lot of the time! I like the option of being able to walk around the ship and the scenery is always changing during a sea day or having the option of bingo, movies, shows etc. My family, on the other hand, loved not rushing around, getting up early to get to the beach, rushing back to get on the ship. ;)

The rooms are no comparison. The dinners were always really good, breakfast and lunch were the same as a cruise. Nightly entertainment was terrible but the drinks were great! I don't drink much on a cruise and definitely drank more there because I was never handed a slip to sign. :) Didn't mind trying out new drinks because if I didn't like it, I could easily get something else.

We were fortunate to have good weather for the 5 nights/6 days we were there but had the weather been lousy, I think they would've had a different opinion. That being said, I would definitely do it again :) but cruise is next in February.

I have done many All-Inclusive trips and have found that location is always the key. I seldom go to Cancun anymore. When on vacation I like to relax, scuba dive or do very little just to decompress from the everyday work life. That said, I usually go on cruises because they act a mobile hotels. I have my choice of getting off or relaxing on board when everyone else is gone. So IMHO it depends on what your goal is for the vacation.

While in another post on this thread I said we enjoy both cruising and AI's, another part of AI's that we visit and enjoy are that they are adult only. Not that I have problems with Kids, We have two our self but they are not kids anymore and have flew the nest so we do enjoy an adult only environment occasionally.

AI with air = $2787

cruise with air = $4702

We stayed at the Royalton in December. Can't say enough good things about it☺

My wife and I just got back from our very first all inclusive in the Cancun area of Mexico. When we started cruising - almost 10 years ago, we thought we had found our dream vacation type!

And then we went to an all inclusive...

:)

We love them both for different reasons. I will NEVER give up cruising b/c I love being on a cruise ship and going to different ports.

However, we LOVE LOVE LOVE Punta Cana, and go every spring for a week land vacation. We go to a huge resort and basically veg at the beach all day. We do a couple snorkeling excursions but that is about it.

Cons of land vacations - entertainment and booze choices (cruises have all the normal brands for beer/booze, many of the mexico/DR resorts do not)

Like I said, love them both for various reasons. Like the laid back time in PC at the resort-no time schedule

But love all the cruising has to offer and enjoy that we are lucky enough to be able to cruise pretty much every month. We throw a land vacation to PC in either April or May and now will go to PR every year late June for 5 days to enjoy the west coast of PR with our buddy that lives there.

Otherwise - bring on my next cruise:p:p:p

Interesting thread for sure. Thank you.

We've done 14 cruises and one AI and, to me, either one depends on your companions.

We've loved almost every cruise but the AI with my son, DiL and GDD in the DR was also a blast. I did like the idea of no bar bill at the end. LOL