Do you carry your passport 24/7

Jenn410

So I've been reading how a passport is needed in case you miss the ship and need to fly home, so this would imply you should carry your passport with you in port and on excursions. Would this be correct. All this is so new to me!

No! If you miss the ship, they will go into your safe, and leave your stuff with the port authority people. You won't miss the ship, if you watch the time! Use a watch..not your cellphone! Just a warning! If the ship doesn't change time to match the port's time, you'll be glad to have a watch set to SHIP'S TIME!!!

Edited by cb at sea

No! If you miss the ship, they will go into your safe, and leave your stuff with the port authority people. You won't miss the ship, if you watch the time! Use a watch..not your cellphone! Just a warning! If the ship doesn't change time to match the port's time, you'll be glad to have a watch set to SHIP'S TIME!!!

There are dozens of comments on Celebrity on the very same issue. Lots of aggressive opinions on both sides of run issue. Check it out.

So I've been reading how a passport is needed in case you miss the ship and need to fly home, so this would imply you should carry your passport with you in port and on excursions. Would this be correct. All this is so new to me!

IMHO the probability of you getting it lost/stolen is far higher than you getting stranded or missing the boat ( is it? )

As another poster noted, if you do get stranded the port agent will work with your cruise line to secure what you need to get to the next port or home.

I'd not take it with me.. but everyone has a different view point on this.

In all the cruises we've done we've only been directed (by the cruiseline/cruise director) to take our passports ashore with us twice (Tunis and I think the other was either Costa Rica or Colombia). Beyond that we just have our ship's card and driver's license with us when off the ship.

Yes, there are some who feel "I have a passport, there's no way I'm going into a foreign country without it". That's their choice.

As Poppyandnana commented, it's a bit of a hot topic.;)

There are only a few places in the world where you're required to take your passport ashore at a port-of-call.

Most folk agree that it's better to leave it in the safe in your cabin. Some take a photo-copy ashore with them - this satisfies photo-ID, and makes it easier to get a replacement document if indeed you do miss the ship.

But it is far more likely that you'll lose or damage your passport, or have it stolen, if you take it ashore. That can create far more significant problems such as identity theft.

Theoretically if your passport is in your cabin safe the ship's crew will leave it with their local port agent (contact details in ship's daily newssheet) if it sails without you. Which is very unlikely as long as you have a modicum of common sense - and not too many beers :D

Won't argue with anyone who takes the opposite view - if they're more comfortable taking their passport ashore that's their choice.

JB :)

As Poppyandnana commented, it's a bit of a hot topic.;)

There are only a few places in the world where you're required to take your passport ashore at a port-of-call.

Most folk agree that it's better to leave it in the safe in your cabin. Some take a photo-copy ashore with them - this satisfies photo-ID, and makes it easier to get a replacement document if indeed you do miss the ship.

But it is far more likely that you'll lose or damage your passport, or have it stolen, if you take it ashore. That can create far more significant problems such as identity theft.

Theoretically if your passport is in your cabin safe the ship's crew will leave it with their local port agent (contact details in ship's daily newssheet) if it sails without you. Which is very unlikely as long as you have a modicum of common sense - and not too many beers :D

Won't argue with anyone who takes the opposite view - if they're more comfortable taking their passport ashore that's their choice.

Not taking an opposite position but want to comment on something you said.

Theoretically if your passport is in your cabin safe the ship's crew will leave it with their local port agent (contact details in ship's daily newssheet) if it sails without you

All well and good in theory but how can the ship's crew leave your passport with the local agent if the ship is underway and will be at sea for three days? If you and your traveling partner are on your own excursion and miss the ship they WILL sail without you.

When a ship has to meet a schedule and there are only two passengers missing doubt they are going to do a search of your cabin, get an authorized officer to open your safe and retrieve your passport. Now, add another scenario. The ship was at anchor. They are not going to unsecure a life boat and tender over to the pier to deliver your passport to the agent. I do not have personal experiences in these scenarios but after 30 plus cruises we have seen and heard lots of tales of woe of people standing on the pier watching their ship sail away into the sunset.

Edited by PoppyandNana

I never carry my passport. It is in the safe. On most ships the port agent is by the gangway at departure to accept passports from safes of missing passengers.

Port agent info will be in newsletter so take that info with you.

If you make sure you are back on yhe ship by all aboard time, no problem.

We often take non- ship excursions and have never been late.

Theoretically if your passport is in your cabin safe the ship's crew will leave it with their local port agent (contact details in ship's daily newssheet) if it sails without you

All well and good in theory but how can the ship's crew leave your passport with the local agent if the ship is underway and will be at sea for three days? If you and your traveling partner are on your own excursion and miss the ship they WILL sail without you.

When a ship has to meet a schedule and there are only two passengers missing doubt they are going to do a search of your cabin, get an authorized officer to open your safe and retrieve your passport. Now, add another scenario. The ship was at anchor. They are not going to unsecure a life boat and tender over to the pier to deliver your passport to the agent. I do not have personal experiences in these scenarios but after 30 plus cruises we have seen and heard lots of tales of woe of people standing on the pier watching their ship sail away into the sunset.

Last year, or the year before, there was a lengthy tale here on CC of someone who'd missed the ship waiting for his teenage son, not knowing the son was aboard the ship. The ship's security had indeed given the man's passport to the port agent who helped the man get hotel that night and fly out the next day.

If the ship is at anchor the port agent can be on the pilot boat and get the passport that way.

A ship does not go underway until a missing passenger's safe has been opened. They will wait past the scheduled departure time while this is done. I am sure that you have been on at least one cruise where departure has been delayed while a passenger's name is called.

The number of days the ship will then be at sea has nothing to do with it. The real problem is that most Caribbean cruises are 'closed loop' so most passengers do not have a passport in their safe.

Edited by NMLady

The ship's security had indeed given the man's passport to the port agent who helped the man get hotel that night and fly out the next day.

Actually if I remember correctly, he didn't have his passport and had to go to the consulate to get an emergency passport. He did have other identifying information and possibly a copy of his passport but I believe he had to go get passport photos taken so he could go to the consulate to get a replacement passport.

I always took my passport with me in each port until I took a world cruise. Cunard collected our passports once we left the US ports. They would be returned when needed for a port and then collected again afterwards. I made sure to have a photo of the passport info page and the port agent's contact info on my camera or iPhone, just in case.

Many cruise lines take, and keep, your passport for the duration of your cruise. So if the cruise line feels it's ok that you don't need your passport 24/7, that's all you should need.

Plus 1.

Most premium and luxury lines require a passport of all passengers on all itineraries. And, if various ports visited require customs/immigration clearance, you will surrender that passport to the purser at embarkation (for the obvious reasons).

That said (and with the understanding that you should never take a passport off a ship unless required by local authorities), if you think you may miss the ship's departure, call both the cruise line AND the port agent listed in the daily blurb. The more folks you inform, the better your chances of less complications.

No, the ship is indeed unlikely to wait for two missing passengers.

But they keep a running note of who's on-board & who's missing - remember "back on board time" is usually 30 minutes before sailing.

You've heard names being called out over the speaker system "will Mr & Mrs Green from cabin 336 please contact customer services". That's to ensure that they were indeed missing & it wasn't a gangway scanning problem.

It takes just a few minutes to go to a cabin, open the safe, & remove passports (& perhaps anything else that might be needed, such as a credit card). That's why it's important to put them in the safe - there's not time to do a thorough search of the cabin, especially if they don't know whether the passenger's passport is there or on their person.

As the gangway is removed without the missing passengers, their passports are handed to the port agent.

For a ship moored off-shore, last tender time is normally 60 minutes before sailing. Partly for the reason that you mention.

You'll be aware that in pretty-well all ports, a local pilot is aboard to assist the captain in leaving the berth & negotiating the ship out to open sea.

So the pilot can take passports back with him if necessary.

I used the word "theoretically" because I don't know if it's done in every port on every ship. But I've seen enough posts to know that it happens.

Hope this clarifies.

I've yet to put it to the test. ;)

Actually if I remember correctly, he didn't have his passport and had to go to the consulate to get an emergency passport. He did have other identifying information and possibly a copy of his passport but I believe he had to go get passport photos taken so he could go to the consulate to get a replacement passport.

I just finished reading that thread- the ship retrieved his birth certificate and his expired passport and left them with a port agent. He was at the Consulate for an hour a half and had a passport issued.

OP, it really is a judgment call and the only right answer is the one that works for you. DW and I got our first passports this year and we are actually thinking about taking this a step further- if we are sailing within the Western Hemisphere we may leave our passports at home with a loved one. We both have enhanced drivers licenses which we can use for the cruise. Should something happen that requires us to return home early the passports can be overnighted to us. After all, if the passport is safer in the safe on the ship than it is with the passenger then they would definitely be safer in our house:).

I have had a passport for 45 years. It always goes with me. I would not think of leaving it on the ship, except in those circumstances where the ship has collected them. I haven't cruised in two years, but my passport is in my purse. EM

I have had a passport for 45 years. It always goes with me. I would not think of leaving it on the ship, except in those circumstances where the ship has collected them. I haven't cruised in two years, but my passport is in my purse. EM

Hopefully you won't run into one of those pesky little waifs who swarm tourists in big cities like Rome - you know - the kids with the razor blades taped to their fingers.

Usually you don't have the option, as your passport is collected when you board and not returned until you disembark, so you don't have the option of taking it with you on excursions (there are a few exceptions, such as in Russia, I think).

If I had the option, I would take it with me when I'm off the ship. Not just in case I miss the ship, but in case of other complications as well. I know I'm in the minority on this, but my fear of being pickpocketed is pretty small. I figure the odds of losing it to a pickpocket are about the same as having it stolen from my in-room safe.

Usually you don't have the option, as your passport is collected when you board and not returned until you disembark, so you don't have the option of taking it with you on excursions (there are a few exceptions, such as in Russia, I think).

If I had the option, I would take it with me when I'm off the ship. Not just in case I miss the ship, but in case of other complications as well. I know I'm in the minority on this, but my fear of being pickpocketed is pretty small. I figure the odds of losing it to a pickpocket are about the same as having it stolen from my in-room safe.

I was just in Lisbon pre-cruise. Someone tried (unsuccessfully to pickpocket) me within 24 hrs of arrival.

I was just in Lisbon pre-cruise. Someone tried (unsuccessfully to pickpocket) me within 24 hrs of arrival.

Yup, it can happen. In any city in the world. And in many rural areas. And someone can break into your in-room safe, in a hotel, or on a ship. That's life.....I didn't say theft doesn't happen, just that I don't think my passport would be safer in my safe than if I were (smartly) carrying it.

I could use as an example that I spent probably a dozen hours across 5 days walking on Las Ramblas in Barcelona (the number one spot in the world for pickpocketing) and never had anything stolen - even though I looked like a tourist (camera bag, etc). Each example carries equal weight, right?

Yup, it can happen. In any city in the world. And in many rural areas. And someone can break into your in-room safe, in a hotel, or on a ship. That's life.....I didn't say theft doesn't happen, just that I don't think my passport would be safer in my safe than if I were (smartly) carrying it.

I could use as an example that I spent probably a dozen hours across 5 days walking on Las Ramblas in Barcelona (the number one spot in the world for pickpocketing) and never had anything stolen - even though I looked like a tourist (camera bag, etc). Each example carries equal weight, right?

At least on the ship the number of people with access to your cabin is limited and there is a record of who opened the door (and the safe, for that matter).

At least on the ship the number of people with access to your cabin is limited and there is a record of who opened the door (and the safe, for that matter).

Yup, and I don't expect things to be stolen from my safe either.

As I said, I know I'm in a minority here, but you're not going to change my mind. We all make individual pro/con or risk/reward balances.