Do the bars onboard Indy stock Absinthe?

Someone on FB said you can buy that separate at ethnic markets and infuse the Absinthe with it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Wormwood is traditionally an ingredient in vermouth which itself derives its name from it (wormwood = vermut (German) = vermouth (French))

I like all aniseed tasting drinks, Pernod, Ricard, Pastis, Ouzo, Raki ... all good :)

Working foreign years ago in N. Africa, I was told that for severe tummy upsets a hefty slug of neat Pernod, or similar, would help greatly - and it certainly did:)

Edited by pspercy

No. I clearly said it was a friend, not a search engine. Had it been a search engine then I would have said as much.

Grow up.

This coming from the person asking about absinth and wormwood on a cruise forum :rolleyes:

This coming from the person asking about absinth and wormwood on a cruise forum :rolleyes:

I asked if Absinthe is served onboard, yes. This is a cruise forum. I would not have gone to a Disneyworld forum and asked if Royal Caribbean International ships serve a certain product, would I?

Many people come on here asking if a certain product, item or service is available before their cruise.

Someone on FB said you can buy that separate at ethnic markets and infuse the Absinthe with it.

I asked if Absinthe is served onboard, yes. This is a cruise forum. I would not have gone to a Disneyworld forum and asked if Royal Caribbean International ships serve a certain product, would I?

Many people come on here asking if a certain product, item or service is available before their cruise.

And then implied your going to buy wormwood at an ethnic market to infuse onboard. Since your asking if they serve it onboard. So your essentially announcing that you plan to hallucinate on your cruise. Real smart. What cruise will that be exactly. I'll make sure to avoid that sailing. Enjoy your thread.

And then implied your going to buy wormwood at an ethnic market to infuse onboard. Since your asking if they serve it onboard. So your essentially announcing that you plan to hallucinate on your cruise. Real smart. What cruise will that be exactly. I'll make sure to avoid that sailing. Enjoy your thread.

I didn't imply anything, you made an assumption. There is a difference.

I enjoy not having renal failure so I will not be using wormwood for anything. That is why it was removed from Absinthe products sold in the US. Absinthe has not been shown to cause hallucinations. That's a myth.

Absinthe no longer has thujone,(from wormwood), in it so it is legal.

False. Real Absinthe is legally available in the USA. I own 3 different versions that are currently sitting on my bar.

It will not make you hallucinate. It is just licorice flavored alcohol, that does funky thinks when mixed with ice cold water. You don't drink it straight (or shouldn't) because it is damned strong and overly flavorful. There are lots of drinks that call for Absinthe put in the glass then poured off, leaving a wonderful subtle licorice flavor to Rye drinks.

jc

I have seen it in the local liquor stores, never seen it in RCCL bars but wasn't looking for it, will try it next cruise, if it is not included you would just pay difference if you have drink package, I know the bottles were on the high end.

I've had Pernod Absinthe before in the Schooner Bar while on Brilliance. They did not have the sugar cube spoon or ice water dispenser. The way it was prepared produced the same cloud effect when you swirled the glass. If you like anise flavor (black licorice), it is a pleasant drink.

Just made an account to reply to this thread. Some users here are both very rude as well as uninformed. First, absinthe never made anyone trip. That's all urban legend. That includes "real" pre-ban European absinthe with "real" wormwood and "real" thujone, which by the way is identical to absinthe sold in the US. People who don't know better just like to make up their facts. And please don't ruin your drink with any sort of fire.

Secondly, some people like to taste wine, some people like whiskey, and for others, it's absinthe. Absinthe does face the challenge of the fact that there are many terrible brands out there trying to make a buck off of its mystique. I myself have tried around 50 brands. Whether they have it in the Caribbean, I'm not sure and that's how I found this thread. Will report back in one week if I find any to try (beyond what I'm bringing).

Edited by ncrob

Just made an account to reply to this thread. Some users here are both very rude as well as uninformed. First, absinthe never made anyone trip. That's all urban legend. That includes "real" pre-ban European absinthe with "real" wormwood and "real" thujone, which by the way is identical to absinthe sold in the US. People who don't know better just like to make up their facts. And please don't ruin your drink with any sort of fire.

Secondly, some people like to taste wine, some people like whiskey, and for others, it's absinthe. Absinthe does face the challenge of the fact that there are many terrible brands out there trying to make a buck off of its mystique. I myself have tried around 50 brands. Whether they have it in the Caribbean, I'm not sure and that's how I found this thread. Will report back in one week if I find any to try (beyond what I'm bringing).

I do like the flavor. I'm not much of a drinker but when I do I go for flavor.

I saw a list of neat looking Absinthe cocktails that I wanted to try.

Don't you need an open flame to prepare it properly?

I think you may be referring to the process of lighting the absinthe-infused sugar cube that then is dissolved by water into the glass. I think this is called 'Bohemian' style preparation. I would agree though that this is an acquired taste and more or less equivalent to the 'Flaming Homer'. (Simpsons reference)