What is the nominal cancellation fee?

cruisehappi

We'll likely have to cancel our May cruise, so I was double-checking the final payment date (February). I noticed the phrase "there will be a nominal fee for cancellations before the first date shown below". The first date shown is the Feb. date. we haven't sailed Celebrity, so I wasn't aware they charged this fee. Can anyone tell me how much it is, either $ or %?

If you booked from the U.S. and it's before final payment is due, then there is no charge to cancel. Did you book directly with Celebrity, or with a TA? Your TA may have a cancellation charge. Ours doesn't.

same comment. don't use TA's that charge a fee for booking or canceling.

Not a bad hold time, 8 minutes. She confirmed there is no fee as long as you cancel prior to the final payment date. No idea why it's listed that way online, but that's ok, at least I have my answer. I was afraid their nominal may not match what I call nominal!

same comment. don't use TA's that charge a fee for booking or canceling.

I use a travel agency that charges a cancellation fee because they litterly give me hundreds of dollars more in percs, per cruise, than anybody else. The point is moot, because I've never cancelled a cruise, which in the grand scheme of things puts me thousands of dollars ahead of the game.

I use a travel agency that charges a cancellation fee because they litterly give me hundreds of dollars more in percs, per cruise, than anybody else. The point is moot, because I've never cancelled a cruise, which in the grand scheme of things puts me thousands of dollars ahead of the game.

I would love to know what cruise line this is. maybe just a little hint.

I would still have a problem with cancellation fees from that TA. You are not given those perks until your cruise starts. If you cancel, the perks are cancelled as well - they would never have been issued. So I really can't understand their reasoning for charging a cancellation fee when they have not yet given you anything you can use, unless they use these fees to pay for the perks that they then claim they are "generously" giving to you.

With all the perks Celebrity has given me in the past, plus all the perks my TA has given me on top of those, I still would not have had to pay a fee to my TA - or Celebrity - if I canceled before final payment date.

You need to find a better TA.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I would still have a problem with cancellation fees from that TA. You are not given those perks until your cruise starts. If you cancel, the perks are cancelled as well - they would never have been issued. So I really can't understand their reasoning for charging a cancellation fee when they have not yet given you anything you can use, unless they use these fees to pay for the perks that they then claim they are "generously" giving to you.

With all the perks Celebrity has given me in the past, plus all the perks my TA has given me on top of those, I still would not have had to pay a fee to my TA - or Celebrity - if I canceled before final payment date.

Cancelling fees are for getting paid for work done, not what they promised you. Again, I've never paid a cancellation fee so I'm out nothing and ahead thousands of dollars. I do not recall asking for advice on picking travel agents.

It cost someone time, which equates to money, to set up your booking in the first place. And if they had to do any searching to find exactly what you were looking for, it cost the TA money.

I can understand why a TA would like to charge a nominal fee. I also understand that many TA's, especially the large ones, will eat any cost connected setting up a booking that gets cancelled.

Any perks the TA gives comes out of his commission. He doesn't earn a commission until you have paid for the entire cruise, and it's past the point when you can get your money back.

I probably used the same TA but it wasn't moot for me. I had the airline cancel my flight and I couldn't get through to them to change their re booked flight to arrive hours after the ship left. So I was a no show.

The TA considered that a cancellation and hit my credit card for a cancellation fee one month after the missed cruise. They've lost my business because they refused to assist that day saying they're a cruise only TA and then hit me for the fee. I got "Con"ed. Now I understand why they use that as part of their agency name.

I can appreciate if they receive no commission and it's before final payment but this was at cruise time.

BTW they received full commission because my cruise fee was forfeited and they had actually PAID NO PERKS. So they poured salt in my wound 30 days later.

Not worth the "extra perks" because I found another online TA that gave me more OBC with NO cancellation fee for another cruise in February.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I am pleased with my online TA, and have consistently received good service, and nice perqs. However, they have a stiff cancellation fee of $100. :( To avoid this, I usually do a "ship change" to a different cruise. There is a charge to make a change, but I don't mind paying that smaller fee.

BTW they received full commission because my cruise fee was forfeited and they had actually PAID NO PERKS.

I have no way of actually knowing of TA's get commissioned on no-shows and last minute cancellations, even if the ship holds the customer money.

However, when I was with Marriott, TA's would not get commissioned on guests who were No-Shows, even if we charged their card for a GNS - Guaranteed No-Show, as part of billing the GNS, we had to check the guest in a special room number, GNS, and change their rate code to the GNS rate code, which would trigger the non-commissionable rate to the TA.

Reason was, because so many would argue such charges, it became work to track it all, and after all, the customer did not stay with us, and therefore we had no opportunities for their in-house spend.

I have no way of actually knowing of TA's get commissioned on no-shows and last minute cancellations, even if the ship holds the customer money.

However, when I was with Marriott, TA's would not get commissioned on guests who were No-Shows, even if we charged their card for a GNS - Guaranteed No-Show, as part of billing the GNS, we had to check the guest in a special room number, GNS, and change their rate code to the GNS rate code, which would trigger the non-commissionable rate to the TA.

Reason was, because so many would argue such charges, it became work to track it all, and after all, the customer did not stay with us, and therefore we had no opportunities for their in-house spend.

What Marriott does is irrelevant to what Celebrity does.

What Marriott does is irrelevant to what Celebrity does.

which Is why I started my post with the words I have no way of knowing if TA's get their commissions.... :roll eyes:

There are lots of similarities in all hospitality businesses, I'm curious to learn here about Cruise lines, perhaps a TA who knows the policy can advise, until then, it's total supposition as to if a TA gets their commissions or not on no shows on Ships.

I was merely stating that one of the largest hotel chains (maybe the largest again, I am not sure - i repeat, I AM NOT SURE) in the world does not provide commissions on no shows as a data point.

Here's a screen shot. I'll call and find out what they say.

2ezlmpw.jpg

Some people call it a blessing - some a curse but when I look at your post I don't see anything regarding commissions but rather the fact that the numbers don't add up! Your totals are greater than the sum of the component prices! Hopefully, there were some other numbers that aren't shown on your post.

Some people call it a blessing - some a curse but when I look at your post I don't see anything regarding commissions but rather the fact that the numbers don't add up! Your totals are greater than the sum of the component prices! Hopefully, there were some other numbers that aren't shown on your post.

Is everyone but me missing the fact that the screen shot shows the cancellation fee doesn't kick in until FEBRUARY 2016?

Is everyone but me missing the fact that the screen shot shows the cancellation fee doesn't kick in until FEBRUARY 2016?

No that's not lost, are you missing the paragraph above it that states

"Cancellation carries a nominal charge if made BEFORE THE FIRST DATE BELOW". (emphasis mine)

The question OP was trying to have answered is yes they know that if they cancel Feb 24 ("THE FIRST DATE BELOW"), they owe $450, but were not sure what "the nominal charge" would be for cancelling "before the FIRST DATE" (Feb 24).

Edited by cle-guy