Southern Caribbean: Carnival vs Celebrity

jillfeng85

Planning to take my parents (60 year old) to a cruise tour to Southern Caribbean, and currently deciding between Carnival Liberty or Celebrity Summit. Need advices! Thank you.

There are just 3 of us, no children. My parents are not very active people. My mom is quite sensitive to loud noises. We are foodies.

From what you just told me about your family, I would choose Celebrity. There's usually a price difference. Have you checked to make sure they both fit in the budget? If they do, then I would go ahead and say go with celebrity. As much as I love carnival, it's typically a younger crowd and it can be a lounger crowd at times. Although I've never cruised Celebrity, I have read over and over how good their food is.

As someone who has cruised both lines and given the description of your parents I would chose Celebrity if it fits your budgets. Celebrity is a more upscale experience with far fewer children onboard (unless during peak vacation times when schools are typically out), less of a party atmosphere, etc.

They both fit into my budget. The price is higher for celebrity, but they offer on board credit, so the prices end up about the same. I read a little bit into both ships. My concern now is that the summit is a bit old, which I read some negatives about it. Anyone cruised on summit lately?

I think of Celebrity as more of a country club cruise, more formal than Carnival. (Friend on his 1st cruise, on Celebrity, was turned away from the dining room when he wasn't wearing a jacket - he went and put one on!) There isn't the loud party passengers on Celebrity you might find on Carnival. We cruise a lot on Carnival and don't see the wild stuff any more but I think Celebrity is the cruise for you & your parents.

I also agree with the others and say that you should go with Celebrity, especially given the descriptions of your family. Carnival tends to have a wilder crowd, so noise and running children are unavoidable. Celebrity has an older and quieter crowd and is known for their great food! :)

Planning to take my parents (60 year old) to a cruise tour to Southern Caribbean, and currently deciding between Carnival Liberty or Celebrity Summit. Need advices! Thank you.

There are just 3 of us, no children. My parents are not very active people. My mom is quite sensitive to loud noises. We are foodies.

Based on this short description, Carnival is the last cruise line I'd recommend and Celebrity would be the first. So, definitely Celebrity Summit.

We like both lines, but for your situation I would also suggest Celebrity. They maintain their ships very well so I would not be concerned about Summit. She is not really "old" just not among the newest out there. We have sailed twice on her "sister" Constellation and absolutely love that ship.

Love, love, love the Summit. One of our best cruises was on this remarkable ship. I am pretty sure she has been refurbished...which most ships under go after a few years. There is also NO comparison between the two cruise lines. Celebrity FAR exceeds Carnival in EVERY way.

Edited by champagne123
cccccc......

OK, I've cruised both and others.

Celebrity Summit is old (though refurbished back in 2012 which is years ago), and not a Celebrity ship I'd consider sailing again. If you can get a Solstice class ship, yes, Celebrity would be my choice. (I had a choice of Summit or NCL Breakaway to Bermuda (have been on both) and chose Breakaway.)

I haven't had a bad cruise on Carnival yet, though it's been awhile since I've been on them mainly because they cut back on cruises from the NY area. Is Celebrity more upscale? Yes.

Do you have any other options besides these two?

Edited by mizlorinj

I have to agree with what someone else said on this thread. This is one of the clearest choices in Cruise Critic history. I can't imagine booking the Carnival Liberty over the Celebrity Summit, especially with the criteria you laid down.

We did a Southern Caribbean and sailed on the Summit in January. While yes it is an older ship, it is very nice. I think it would be perfect for you. That being said, Celebrity cruises are very port intensive. we did 5 ports in 7 days with one at sea day last January. It can be exhausting.

You will also need to compare the prices considering Celebrity has their new "Go big, Go Bigger, Go best" pricing. So what ever you would choose on X, you would need to find the price of that same item on Carnival.

We really enjoyed the classic drink package they offered. Because it wasn't just alcohol. It included soda, bottled water, specialty coffee from the coffee shop, fresh squeezed juice, and adult beverages. and there is no limit of 15 drinks per day.

Based on your information, I think you will prefer Celebrity, but what ever you choose, have a great trip.:)

I have one more concern about summit though I am really leaning towards it. I have to work until Friday noon, and then fly to Puerto Rico from California, and the earliest I can get in is 4am in the morning. The cruise is leaving at 8 at night. Should I be worried about possible delay/miss connection, etc? I could buy insurance, I guess. My parents are leaving from New York, and I am a little concerned about weather in mid Dec, and am trying to convince to leave a day earlier. I will book my flights through the cruise line hoping to be a bit more secured.