Summit safe size?

dyxiegirl

We a sailing in a few weeks on the Celebrity Summit and my hubby wants bring his 15" laptop, but only if it will fit in the safe. Does anyone know how big the room safe is?

Edited by dyxiegirl

I really do not think it would fit in.

Couldn't you put it in a lockable suitcase and put the key to that in the safe if you feel uncomfortable leaving it out?

We tend to just put documents and wallets in the safe and just put everything else of value out of view in a drawer.

My travel computer is a MacBook Air, for size reasons.

It fit, I don't THINK a 15 inch laptop would have though I haven't tried it.

I can attest to the honesty of celebrity cabin attendants and assure you that your belongings are safe in your cabin.

On our last cruise we asked our attendant to please ice down a bottle of champagne while we were on excursion, we wanted to drink it for sail away. I left the bottle on the table with $5 under it as a tip for her troubles, she iced down the champagne but DID NOT TOUCH the tip.

I had to personally hand it to her before she would accept it.

In many cruises, nothing ever disturbed in our cabin.

Common sense should prevail, I like the idea of locking it up and putting the key in the safe, a perfect compromise.

We always leave our laptops out on the desk. In the shut down mode and a password needed to start. Never have had a problem. You can always take a picture of them on the desk day 1 just to prove you had them on board but that is not necessary.

I agree -- our Celebrity Suite on Summit had a tiny safe. It had sufficient room for our valuables and cell-phones, but not much else. If I had something larger, like an expensive electronic device -- I would put it in my locked suitcase, which is stored under the bed. But I do echo what others have attested to, about the honesty of the crew. In all of our cruises, we've never had anything go missing from our cabin. I tried to throw away an old bathing suit once. It kept re-appearing out of the trash -- folded neatly on the couch. I finally put it in the trash with a "please discard" note on it! ;)

We have never had a problem with leaving expensive equipment out on the counter (GPS, IPAD, Kindles, Laptop, Nikon camera with multiple lenses, multiple cell phones...but if your DH is concerned, get a cable lock and then chain the computer to something in the room. No the maids do not walk around with heavy duty wire cutters. Follow normal travel prudence. Be sure to close any application that has a password (eg quicken) and require a sign on to get off the lock screen. Never save passwords on a travel machine or cellphone unless required to do so for the device to operate.

The first time we ever brought a laptop along on a cruise long ago, we locked it in the safe, taking it out to use it, and then re-locking it back in the safe again each time.

We quickly came to realize what a pain that was, so after a day or two, we hesitantly decided to take our chances and very reluctantly left the laptop out on the desk, plugged in, whenever we left the cabin.

There was never a problem.

We dislike using a cable lock because of the nuisance of needing to unlock and re-lock it each time we want to take the computer over to use it on the couch or out on the balcony or to another location on the ship.

So for years we have been leaving all electronics, including cameras, unlocked out in plain sight in our cabin on all cruises and have never had a problem, on any cruise line.

We leave the cameras and binoculars close to the balcony door where we can grab them quickly to step outside whenever something of interest is spotted.

We also keep cash for tips handy in a drawer, where it could readily be seen by anyone who might open the drawer, but that has never been a problem either.

• 1 year later...

I think it almost certainly will fit, but barely and likely on a diagonal. I am typing this from a 15" laptop we always bring and I don't recall ever having an issue with it fitting in the safe, although it was a tight squeeze. The only reason I am not 100% sure is that we also have come to realize there is virtually no risk in leaving the laptop out on the desk. But I guess only your hubby can define 'secure'. I would think locked in a suitcase under the bed would fit the bill but don't know his business requirements. Keep in mind that there are always personnel onboard who have access to your safe (not your room steward), so nothing is ever 100% secure anyway. It's a matter of degrees.