NCL Cancels Another Cruise of Mine

TBurr

Two years ago I had booked and deposited for a Med cruise. About six months before they canceled and repositioned the ship. I just received an e-mail that they have now canceled another cruise I had booked and deposited for November, 2016, due to another repositioning of the ship. Totally unacceptable that they confirm reservations and then twice within two years cancel. If I re booked another cruise on the same ship within a few month period they would give me a $50.00 on board credit. Ridiculous.

Do many people have the experience of NCL canceling? I have been cruising over 50 years and have only experienced this on NCL. Very unprofessional.

Two years ago I had booked and deposited for a Med cruise. About six months before they canceled and repositioned the ship. I just received an e-mail that they have now canceled another cruise I had booked and deposited for November, 2016, due to another repositioning of the ship. Totally unacceptable that they confirm reservations and then twice within two years cancel. If I re booked another cruise on the same ship within a few month period they would give me a $50.00 on board credit. Ridiculous.

Do many people have the experience of NCL canceling? I have been cruising over 50 years and have only experienced this on NCL. Very unprofessional.

wow, twice: I am so sorry to hear that, but let me assure you, this happens with all lines. If they did this a few months out, I would be really upset, but you are talking about over a year. yes, the lines, just like other businesses look for where they will get the biggest bang for the buck and they do change itineraries. Some passengers are bound to be disappointed.

I would think you'd be handsomely compensated because of this. Is this not true?

No. NCL's standard compensation in cancellations like thus is $50 OBC for regular cabins and $100 for suites but by the contract they are not required to offer any compensation.

Wow, that really sucks.

Its better than zilch or nada...

That is sad - At least it happen now and not weeks before the actual trip. Cold comfort, I know, but at least you have better opportunity to find better replacement cruise(s) 2 years out than if it had happen with 2 weeks before the sail date to spare...

I just do not understand why they let people book so far in advance. I my self would never book that far in advance because I work and I do not know what I will be up to in two years since I travel a lot. Well look at the bright side if you have been cruising for 50 years it more than likely you will not have to change your vacation days at work.

It reminds me of the airlines and their schedule changes. I booked when I could as I used miles. I think they've made 4 changes. I did reschedule as I didn't like the ones they gave me but they aren't as good as my original flights. And they don't give you anything!

It reminds me of the airlines and their schedule changes. I booked when I could as I used miles. I think they've made 4 changes. I did reschedule as I didn't like the ones they gave me but they aren't as good as my original flights. And they don't give you anything!

Isn't that the truth! We have booked flights for our upcoming trip to San Juan from American Airlines and since we have booked, they have changed the flights at least four times already - usually to worse. What originally were reasonable 2-3 hr layovers at JFK are now 4-6 hours each and instead of earlier arrival we now arrive to San Juan only after midnight.

Its better than zilch or nada...

That is sad - At least it happen now and not weeks before the actual trip. Cold comfort, I know, but at least you have better opportunity to find better replacement cruise(s) 2 years out than if it had happen with 2 weeks before the sail date to spare...

Yes, just like it's better to have a shattered leg than a broken neck. But in reality, both are still terrible.

It's how they roll.

I would think you'd be handsomely compensated because of this. Is this not true?

No handsome compensation is doled out for the cancellation of a cruise that is still over a year out (or even one that is coming up much sooner). When thinking about it, there is no loss. It's so far out that they can't even have airline tickets yet. There is nothing for which to be compensated.

To the OP, sorry to hear about having 2 cruises changed/cancelled on you. That is awfully bad luck.

Isn't that the truth! We have booked flights for our upcoming trip to San Juan from American Airlines and since we have booked, they have changed the flights at least four times already - usually to worse. What originally were reasonable 2-3 hr layovers at JFK are now 4-6 hours each and instead of earlier arrival we now arrive to San Juan only after midnight.

If you find an alternative flight that better suites you, simply call and they will switch it to what you want. If an airline disrupts a booking by I think 2 or more hours you have the right to rebook. I always book flights as far in advance as possible and the times are almost always changed more than once. This has always worked out to my benefit. I find the best direct flights and airline easily changes for me with no fees. I usually end up on the much better connection flights as a result.

Unlike NCL, The airline has never once told me that I needed to move my flight up a year or else pay thousands extra. Cant even find a recent example of a cruise line, other that NCL, giving such an offer but yes they certainly have the right to do it unlike the airlines who simply cant because of consumer protection.

I just do not understand why they let people book so far in advance. I my self would never book that far in advance because I work and I do not know what I will be up to in two years since I travel a lot. Well look at the bright side if you have been cruising for 50 years it more than likely you will not have to change your vacation days at work.

I do not see this as a decision the cruise lines should make, but more a decision the passenger makes, just like booking air fare. These schedules can be changed as well and even a 2 hour time adjustment can make a difference in making the next leg of your flight or whatever. It happened to us, coming back from our repo cruise a few years ago. the airline changed our depart time and there was no way we could make our connection. Believe me, they did nothing for us except get us on the next possible flight.

Booking a vacation early is a gamble, some are willing to take it, the earliest we have booked a cruise was about a year in advance and I was worried about that one. Most people do not book a year or two prior to the sailing date.

I do not see this as a decision the cruise lines should make, but more a decision the passenger makes, just like booking air fare. These schedules can be changed as well and even a 2 hour time adjustment can make a difference in making the next leg of your flight or whatever. It happened to us, coming back from our repo cruise a few years ago. the airline changed our depart time and there was no way we could make our connection. Believe me, they did nothing for us except get us on the next possible flight.

Booking a vacation early is a gamble, some are willing to take it, the earliest we have booked a cruise was about a year in advance and I was worried about that one. Most people do not book a year or two prior to the sailing date.

It's not much of a gamble. Yes ships do occasionally get chartered, dry docks or mechanical problems could occur but this can happen the day prior to cruise as well (All valid reasons for insurance). When these cancelations occur, other cruise lines offer a similar cruise on one of their other ships during the same time frame. The customer still gets to sail a ship during that time frame at a protected price with their perks and they typically haven't booked airfare yet. Yes some grumbling but all is well. I see celebrity seems to offer $300/$500 pluse price protect for a similar itinerary similar dates to squelch the grumbling. Ncl is offering $50/$100 for limited dates.

The problem is not that the cruise was canceled in advance. Strange they sold fares till the day before canceling but still nice they canceled with pleanty of lead time. Still time to rebook a price protected alternative right? The problem is that the offer for price protection is so much earlier.

So lets say I want to take them up on their offer. I will sail this December vs, next December and lets pretend the suite I booked is available (its not but we can pretend). Still a great price right because the cruise I purchased truely was a killer deal. So we are now looking at booking on the 17th of august for a cruise the begining of December. MOst people would consider this a last minute Europe booking. I'll even be past final payment. Airfares? Well my plan to book with Avios can go out the window. No way I'm getting those first class tickets this late with Avios. Many people flying to Europe don't want to be shoved in coach and so use miles and book as far in advance as possible. Even those who don't mind coach transatlantic wont be booking that airfare with miles this late in the game. Well if I book the ticket today it will cost me $8468 per person vs had i booked early with Avios for taxes only. So it might seem silly to some people that so many are upset but if you look at the offer from NCL vs what other lines offer for cancelations it makes more sense.

NCL decided staterooms in their fleet can now be sold for more than previous itineraries and sales. They did not redeploy the fleet for any other reason. I dont have a problem with a company making more money but they sould a least offer the customer who already paid some price protection. Yes I know they don't have to.

They sold me something one day, I paid them $1500 deposit for it, and the next day they decided to sell my stateroom to someone else for more money. That's what I have a problem with.

This cruise is 16 - 17 months out. Things happen. If you would not book so far out then maybe you would not have such bad luck.

I wouldn't put to much into this post as it is a first time post and the OP hasn't responded to your questions......It looks like someone just trying to stir things up...

It's just a lot of bad luck. All cruise lines reposition ships. This isn't something exclusive to NCL. It totally sucks that it has happened to you twice now.

I somewhat disagree. All cruise lines cancel individual sailings for charters. All cruise lines also redeploy ships, but they don't do it to 1/3 of their fleet months after the sailings open for booking. I've been cruising on 5 different cruise lines since 2000, and this is the first time I've seen a redeployment on this scale with such poor, limited alternatives for the displaced cruisers.

I somewhat disagree. All cruise lines cancel individual sailings for charters. All cruise lines also redeploy ships, but they don't do it to 1/3 of their fleet months after the sailings open for booking. I've been cruising on 5 different cruise lines since 2000, and this is the first time I've seen a redeployment on this scale with such poor, limited alternatives for the displaced cruisers.

You may have a point, but the fact is; it does happen and in many cases there really isn't a decent alternative. this is one time I totally side with NCL. When anyone books so far in advance they do run the risk of the sailing being cancelled for many reasons. This doesn't mean I don't feel bad for the OP, I do, especially when it happens twice, but I don't think NCL is wrong. In fact, unless they had several ships in one location at once, there would not be any alternative regardless. They are not Carnival or RCI with a huge fleet.

We had a cruise out of Rome to the holy land and Egypt cancelled because of the political events in that part of the World.

NCL gave us a little OBC and we rebooked another cruise, not a problem. We understand stuff happens.

Celebrity has cancelled two cruises "Around Japan." The first due to selling the Century and the second due to a charter. We rebooked the first for Singapore to Dubai and it was great. The second is coming up, Japan and china this October. In the end, it all worked out.

My advise is make the best of it enjoy your replacement cruise and don't let the cancellation poison the well.

You may have a point, but the fact is; it does happen and in many cases there really isn't a decent alternative. this is one time I totally side with NCL. When anyone books so far in advance they do run the risk of the sailing being cancelled for many reasons. This doesn't mean I don't feel bad for the OP, I do, especially when it happens twice, but I don't think NCL is wrong. In fact, unless they had several ships in one location at once, there would not be any alternative regardless. They are not Carnival or RCI with a huge fleet.

You're far more forgiving than I am. I thought the offer to sail 9-12 months early was pathetic, and probably made with the hope that not many would be able to rearrange their schedules to take advantage of it. I could see your point if we were talking about a single ship with a reasonable alternative offered to passengers, but we're not.

You're certainly entitled to your point of view. I will have to think long and hard before I book another Norwegian cruise -- not because of the cancellation itself, but because of the easy way they just dismissed thousands of passengers without reasonable options. There are plenty of cruise lines out there -- none of them perfect, but I've never felt as unvalued as I do by NCL, and yes, I've had a cruise cancelled before.

You're far more forgiving than I am. I thought the offer to sail 9-12 months early was pathetic, and probably made with the hope that not many would be able to rearrange their schedules to take advantage of it. I could see your point if we were talking about a single ship with a reasonable alternative offered to passengers, but we're not.

You're certainly entitled to your point of view. I will have to think long and hard before I book another Norwegian cruise -- not because of the cancellation itself, but because of the easy way they just dismissed thousands of passengers without reasonable options. There are plenty of cruise lines out there -- none of them perfect, but I've never felt as unvalued as I do by NCL, and yes, I've had a cruise cancelled before.

Cheerleader=Investor. Don't trust them. The best thing to do is complain to your congressperson and senator. NCL entered into a contract with you bad faith. They have the ability to offer a comparable product but refuse. Many politicians would love to regulate the cruise industry. You might get lucky.