Just got an upsell to the Haven - help me out!

golden6911

OK,

I just got an upsell for my Alaskan cruise sailing 8/16 that I couldn't refuse, going from a Mini-suite to the Haven owners suite with enlarged balcony. :D To say I am ridiculously excited would be an understatement. My husband has no idea and boy am I going to surprise him this Sunday! Stuff like this never happens to me!

We are not fancy people at all and very laid back, so I need help to not embarrass myself. I am not sure how to utilize the butler and how/when to tip him. Do you tip at the end of the cruise like normal? How much (approx)? Any other people I need to tip?

Are there other Haven/Suite perks that I am not aware of? I know there are bottled drinks in the room - does that mean I should cancel my soda package that I purchased (We don't drink alcohol)?

For anyone who answers, thanks!

Congrats! You will receive three bottles of liquor. He will also receive unlimited drinks these will be in your cabin now you could carry your cans with you but you might keep the beverage package if you want to be able to have fountain beverages all over the ship.

There are lots of opinions and lots of threads on tipping of the butler and concierge. My rule of thumb, which seems to be the same for several people on CC, is $10 per person per day for the Butler and I tip $10 per person per day for the concierge but lots of people say five dollars per person for the concierge. I guess I use the concierge a little more heavily.

Here is my suggestion to you... read as many reviews on NCL ships from pax who have cruised in suites to see how they utilized the perk. Then you can customize it for yourself. Love the priority embark and disembark and the VIP breakfast and lunch.

Have a great cruise

Edited by DMH15

Can you clarify which room you got? Reason I ask is you say owners suite with enlarged balcony. The OS have both a large front balcony and side balconies whereas there are also Deluxe Owners Suites which have just a real big balcony. The rooms themselves are different. People sometimes get those two categories confused.

Edited by dexddd

There is also a cabin steward, who is included in the DSC, but some choose to add a little extra to that attendant (I would assume if the service is amazing -- I'm going to be prepared to do it, but only if the service warrants it. ).

Also, there is a Courtyard attendant you might want to be prepared for -- not sure how much you will use the courtyard. I'm planning on using it a fair amount. I've heard some courtyard attendants are incredible, and some not -- pretty much the same thing you hear about all the various staff. So I'm budgeting for that as well.

Congrats on the upgrade! I would be super excited too!

Congrats! You will receive three bottles of liquor. He will also receive unlimited drinks these will be in your cabin now you could carry your cans with you but you might keep the beverage package if you want to be able to have fountain beverages all over the ship.

<snip>

My understanding is the Deluxe Owners Suite have this perk but not Owners Suites. She said Owners Suite but maybe is a Deluxe?

My understanding is the Deluxe Owners Suite have this perk but not Owners Suites. She said Owners Suite but maybe is a Deluxe?

The OS and DOS both get the 3 bottles and unlimited in room soda and water except some shorter sailings and I'm still unclear what you get on the PoA.

Edited by dexddd

There are lots of opinions and lots of threads on tipping of the butler and concierge. My rule of thumb, which seems to be the same for several people on CC, is $10 per person per day for the Butler and I tip $10 per person per day for the concierge but lots of people say five dollars per person for the concierge. I guess I use the concierge a little more heavily.

Here is my suggestion to you... read as many reviews on NCL ships from pax who have cruised in suites to see how they utilized the perk. Then you can customize it for yourself. Love the priority embark and disembark and the VIP breakfast and lunch.

Have a great cruise

Just an FYI, the haven suites do not get the booze,or that is my impression and I know 2 different groups that have done haven suites.

Now, to the OP, how you tip is up to you. Our daughter said they tipped the cabin boy the most (no, not the same as the cabins steward) they didn't tip the conciegre much; he really didn't do much for them and I am not sure about the butler.

The suite is 9504, not the deluxe owners suite, just the standard one. I don't care about the booze since we don't drink. I was planning on giving it to some lucky neighbors if they insisted on giving us some.

The really fun part will be the look on DH's face when he sees the room. We originally booked a balcony, then with a price drop we got the mini suite which I thought would be great since DH is a big guy and would appreciate the extra room.

Once we get sorted into the VIP line, I'll mention that we received a "minor" upgrade to our room. Muhuhahaha!

The suite is 9504, not the deluxe owners suite, just the standard one. I don't care about the booze since we don't drink. I was planning on giving it to some lucky neighbors if they insisted on giving us some.

The really fun part will be the look on DH's face when he sees the room. We originally booked a balcony, then with a price drop we got the mini suite which I thought would be great since DH is a big guy and would appreciate the extra room.

Once we get sorted into the VIP line, I'll mention that we received a "minor" upgrade to our room. Muhuhahaha!

I love this! What a memory it will make.

You absolutely get the liquor so you're going to be very popular with the neighbors. :D All Owner's Suites get it. We stayed in that exact cabin on the Pearl and most assuredly received it. Any suite below that does not (unless, of course, they order it and pay for it).

You're going to love that cabin, especially in Alaska. The views from both balconies will be spectacular. Enjoy!

Edited by tarps14

Just an FYI, the haven suites do not get the booze,or that is my impression and I know 2 different groups that have done haven suites.

Now, to the OP, how you tip is up to you. Our daughter said they tipped the cabin boy the most (no, not the same as the cabins steward) they didn't tip the conciegre much; he really didn't do much for them and I am not sure about the butler.

The Haven Deluxe Owners Suites (H2) (with Large Balcony) get liquor selection, The Haven Owners Suites (H3) with Large Balcony do not. This is from their website and I verified with CAS, and a person who recently sailed.

From their website:

"The Haven Deluxe Owner’s Suite with Large Balcony

Floor-to-ceiling windows provide an ever- changing view in this chic suite. Includes a bedroom (some ships offer two) with a luxury bath, plus a separate living and dining room.† With up to 1,382 sq. ft.*, it sleeps up to six* guests. Champagne, custom selection of liquor, fruit, bottled water and sodas.

Available on Norwegian Escape, Norwegian Getaway,Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Epic, Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Gem, and Norwegian Jade.

The Haven Owner’s Suite with Large Balcony

Pamper yourself in a plush Owner’s Suite with sweeping vistas from your walls of windows and private balcony. Includes a bedroom with a luxury bath, plus a separate living and dining area. Offers up 875 sq. ft.* of luxury living at sea. Sleeps up to five*.

Available on Norwegian Escape, Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Gem, Norwegian Jade, Norwegian Jewel, and Norwegian Pearl."

Edited by asubaru

The Haven Deluxe Owners Suites (H2) (with Large Balcony) get liquor selection, The Haven Owners Suites (H3) with Large Balcony do not. This is from their website and I verified with CAS, and a person who recently sailed.

Well, that's interesting as we sailed in that cabin and definitely received it.

Here is a link directly from NCL's website. Note the double asterisk.

http://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/cruise-accommodations/cruise-suites-and-penthouses

Edited by tarps14

Your wrong both get 3 bottles and unlimited sodas, the H1 gets six.

If things don't work out between you and your husband this week, I have some vacation time I have to use up. :)

I think surprising him is just as fun as getting the room itself! Enjoy!

I don't know! I am not a very good liar. He has been complaining about the flight to Seattle and not having enough room to stretch his legs. It is going to take every fiber of my being to not shout "YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE PLENTY OF ROOM IN OUR GINOURMOUS CABIN!" :D

Can you hold it till then!?

LOL, this so made me laugh because almost every time I try to plan a surprise for my husband, he ends up finding out early. Often it has been because he suggests doing whatever I've already arranged as a surprise, so I have to tell him so he doesn't start booking stuff.

I actually decided this week to start doing some research for our 25th -- which is still 2 1/2 years away. So yesterday he emails me a link for a European cruise and says, "this would be great for our 25th" --- Seriously??? I barely had the thought and he was already spoiling it. At least since he's sending me the email, I'm sure he thinks I should plan it, so I don't have to worry about two surprise trips.

Golden6911 -- I am wishing you better success with keeping your surprise, and please be sure and tell us how that went when you get back.

As a Haven guest, you will also be invited to a private cocktail party with the officers. If you need any assistance with dining or show reservations, your concierge will be able to help. You also get to eat breakfast and lunch at a suite only restaurant (and possibly dinner depending on your ship and whether they have dedicated Haven restaurant for dinner -- I'll be on the Jewel, which doesn't have one, so they offer breakfast and lunch at Moderno's for the suites instead). And there should be a private lounge and sundeck for the suites.

Also, your suite will have DVD players (with access to a DVD library) and an espresso/cappucino maker. You will get a daily afternoon delivery of treats (canapes and/or sweets) and special linens/pillows. And robes/slippers.

Congrats on the suite, it will be a fantastic room for viewing Alaska. We've been in 10504 and it is by far our favorite suite. We liked it even better than the DOS.

Enjoy and have a great trip!

Oh, the suite definitely comes with soda and 3 bottles of liquor.

Enjoy the suite and Alaska!

My DH and I took an upsell offer to a Haven suite on a June cruise to Bermuda.

NCL gave me a phone number to call a Haven customer rep for preparation for the cruise.

The person was very helpful explaining the Haven perks and the butler service.

She also arranged certain requests we had such as bottled water and skim milk for the coffee.

Unfortunately, I became very ill two weeks before the cruise and we had to cancel!

Insurance took care of the situation.

So,no Haven suite for us.

But,do try to contact NCL with your questions/concerns.

I found them to be very helpful.

Wishing you and your DH a Bon Voyage!

TO HAVE PLENTY OF ROOM IN OUR GINOURMOUS CABIN!" :D

Please come back afterwards and tell us in detail about how he reacted at different points. We got a suite only once in our approx 14 NCL cruises and what a treat it was (it was an affordable upsell, also on Alaska cruise). I'll never forget it.