Expired Passport

SadieandJr

Yes it was a while ago but what I was trying to say is that my daughter flew on an expired passport while go TO Germany. It was not noticed until she attempted to fly back.

Just out of curiosity was this before or after 9/11?

My mom had her passport stolen between checking in and boarding in San Juan. We didn't discover this until it was time to leave the ship. She was able to use her driver's license but needed a second piece of photo ID. They allowed her to use her Costco card :D. We were very lucky indeed. Again, this was before 9/11. Not sure it would work now.

Just out of curiosity was this before or after 9/11?

My mom had her passport stolen between checking in and boarding in San Juan. We didn't discover this until it was time to leave the ship. She was able to use her driver's license but needed a second piece of photo ID. They allowed her to use her Costco card :D. We were very lucky indeed. Again, this was before 9/11. Not sure it would work now.

This is a case where having a copy of the info pages of passport could be helpful. Many of us have copied those pages and carry the copy in a place separate from our passport. It might not help but it can't hurt.

He must have valid, required travel documents in order to board.

If he does not have designated passport, visa, birth certificate..... whatever is required for his travel, he will not be boarding.

If he doesn't go, how will this impact your step-daughter in terms of sharing the cabin? Will she now be subject to a solo cruiser increase in fare?

I would assume that his fare having been paid would obviate her being charged a single supplement. In any event, I am virtually certain that he would not get any refund if denied boarding.

I would assume that his fare having been paid would obviate her being charged a single supplement. In any event, I am virtually certain that he would not get any refund if denied boarding.

I have read where the person sailing solo was unpleasantly surprised to be hit with single supplement when the other person did not board.

The reasoning was the cruise line missed out for on board spending.

:) Assumptions and all that are not always the way it goes.

I'll be interested to learn what happens in this situation.

When you are a "surprise solo" thanks to your cabinmate pulling a no-show or being denied boarding you are certainly subject to being re-fared as a single. The monies paid by the absent party are not considered cruise fare if they do not actually sail but are classified on the books as cancellation penalty. For day of departure no-show or denial often the cruise line doesn't bother based on either courtesy due to extenuating circumstances (avoiding potential negative blowback) or more likely indifference or oversight--for a low-end cabin on a short cruise the money collected wouldn't justify the effort. But I can verify first hand that my mom was charged the single supplement when her friend had to cancel a week before sailing due to family emergency--but it did turn out that the supplement charged was less than the full fare refund her friend got from her insurance.

Edited by fishywood

Good luck tomorrow. I hope it works out for you all, but be prepared to leave him behind.

^ This. :(

OP, thanks for the update and if possible while you are still at the pier in Miami (onboard ship), could you give us the final update? This is an interesting situation and even though most of us know what will probably happen, it's always interesting to know the official outcome.

He will not get on. Only hope is if he is able to get it expedited at a passport office tomorrow.

How was this not picked up on when he did online checkin?

Because (unfortunately) it appears that they used a travel service sales person . . . not a "Travel Agent". Big difference.

Anyone who works for a TRAVEL SERVICE service can sell you a package and make a reservation on your behalf. They rely on you to read the fine print of the contract and ensure you comply with the requirements.

A Travel Agent is a professional, who works for YOU, knows and addresses all requirements and assists you in compliance.

It would appear that this is another example of the "average" buyer NOT reading the full contract.

I sincerely hope the guest in question will be (has been) allowed to sail. If not, perhaps they have possible recourse for refund. However, I'll bet the Travel Service has fine print of their own protecting them.

Curious. Was cruise/trip/vacation insurance purchased? Might (or might not) cover this. Again, it all depends on what THAT contract says.

The bottom line . . . 'Caveat Emptor' . . . Let the buyer beware.

Edited by Calgon1

. Curious. Was cruise/trip/vacation insurance purchased? Might (or might not) cover this. Again, it all depends on what THAT contract says.
I've read many travel insurance policies and have never seen one that included coverage for not having correct travel documents. A few have coverage for loss or theft of documents, but it is minimal coverage, more of a trip delay sort of thing, certainly not full trip costs.

A lot of speculation. I would have checked with the cruise line.

Keith

Me too....they are the ultimate gatekeepers!

With whom would you have checked and been sure you were receiving reliable information?

Many of us who have cruised a long time have learned, some the hard way, that the cruise line phone reps are not always very experienced or well trained. So many times they give incorrect information that people depend upon and are left out of luck when they hit the brick wall for not having gotten good information. Sadly these reps sometimes speak with such a tone of authority and we expect they SHOULD know what they are saying or should say they will ask someone who does know but that world is not perfect.

Will be interesting to see how this turned out. My Mom sailed on RCL with an expired passport in (I think) 2004. She knew it was expired and also took her birth certificate, bridging name change documents, and drivers license with her, but was never asked for anything other than the passport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will be interesting to see how this turned out. My Mom sailed on RCL with an expired passport in (I think) 2004. She knew it was expired and also took her birth certificate, bridging name change documents, and drivers license with her, but was never asked for anything other than the passport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rules were different in 2004, before the WHTI implementation. Back then you could use a recently expired passport for travel to contiguous countries and adjacent islands. You also could cross a land border simply by making a verbal declaration of citizenship. Not anymore.