20kg Baggage on cruises without flight?...

rochdalepaul

On the cruise info we have received for our cruise on Britainnia on 5 sept it says a baggage allowance of 20kg, which seems ridiculous when there is no flight involved , what's the crack on this. .? Surely they are not weighing baggage before loading? Also what are they doing if it's heavier?

It's for handling purposes, rochdalepaul. They don't mind how many cases you have, but ask that they be no heavier than 20kg. They might ask you to spread the load amongst your other cases if the one is too heavy.

On the cruise info we have received for our cruise on Britainnia on 5 sept it says a baggage allowance of 20kg, which seems ridiculous when there is no flight involved , what's the crack on this. .? Surely they are not weighing baggage before loading? Also what are they doing if it's heavier?

It's quite simple the limit is 20kgs. What's the problem, just take more cases.

You're welcome :) Stewards bring up your case(s) to your cabin from where they are brought in by the porters so maybe it's because they have to handle/carry them.

I am not sure, but I have a vague idea that 20kg is a Health and Safety limit or recommendation for one person to lift/carry.

But there really is not a problem as to how many bags you bring on :)

Edited by Scriv

It's quite simple the limit is 20kgs. What's the problem, just take more cases.

But a little ambiguous. For seasoned travellers the intention may be clear but this could be clarified quite simply by saying 'the limit is 20Kgs per case'.

But a little ambiguous. For seasoned travellers the intention may be clear but this could be clarified quite simply by saying 'the limit is 20Kgs per case'.

True but each label says limit 20kg. That seems quite clear.

It's for handling purposes, rochdalepaul. They don't mind how many cases you have, but ask that they be no heavier than 20kg. They might ask you to spread the load amongst your other cases if the one is too heavy.

We've just come back from Britannia and sailed from Southampton. We stuck to the 20kg limit and just took an additional case and a suit carrier for our posh gear. There was no problem at all. Could not believe that we took 4 'carriers' to get the stuff we needed, but it meant that we hardly had anything in our hand luggage which was a blessing.

Just don't worry and be kind to those baggage handlers.... and have a great time! :D:)

Edited by Presto2

Sounds reasonable so put into perspective i have case with 20kg my wife has case with 20 kg spare one with 6 kg total 3x cases combined weight 46 kg

:D

Yip - but no worries, they all fit under the bed ;)

It is Health and Safety Manual Handling Regs that the cases have to be 20kg. You have to think of the people handling thousands of cases. Sure 25kg isn't a lot if you are lifting 3 or 4 but it is when that's your job.

Edited by dgs1956

They don't weigh them; if they feel about right they just put them through the hole.

I only once saw someone called back and that was for an enormous old fashioned case which clearly weighed a lot more than 20kg. I think mine is usually about 22 but if I can get it on and off a train it's pretty easy for a man to put it on a conveyer belt!

I put about another 12kg into a rucksack I carry on my back and use for hand luggage. Travelling alone you cannot get 2 suitcases on and off the train!

They don't weigh them; if they feel about right they just put them through the hole.

I only once saw someone called back and that was for an enormous old fashioned case which clearly weighed a lot more than 20kg. I think mine is usually about 22 but if I can get it on and off a train it's pretty easy for a man to put it on a conveyer belt!

I put about another 12kg into a rucksack I carry on my back and use for hand luggage. Travelling alone you cannot get 2 suitcases on and off the train!

They do not weigh them before they go through the hole. What happens the other side is another matter. That is where they could be weighed.

Spoke to Thomson rep regarding 3x cases combined weight totaling 46kgs never had clue

so thanks for clearing that up Presto 2 can rely on CC member ;)

We often take at least 4 cases one at 20 two at about 18 and one 10. We do do some long cruises. :) storage is easy as 3 of them are stored inside each other.

It is Health and Safety Manual Handling Regs that the cases have to be 20kg. You have to think of the people handling thousands of cases. Sure 25kg isn't a lot if you are lifting 3 or 4 but it is when that's your job.

I certainly wouldn't argue that 20kg is a fair weight for a handler to carry a case, but our cruise weight limit (admittedly a fly-cruise, not from Southampton) states that the allowable luggage is 23kg with no mention of a maximum weight of 20kg, plus a single piece of hand luggage weighing a maximum of 5kg.

I certainly wouldn't argue that 20kg is a fair weight for a handler to carry a case, but our cruise weight limit (admittedly a fly-cruise, not from Southampton) states that the allowable luggage is 23kg with no mention of a maximum weight of 20kg, plus a single piece of hand luggage weighing a maximum of 5kg.

A company has to set a limit (ie a Risk Assessment) and most usually do so at 20kg. For travel companies its a balance between reducing the weight and increasing the number of cases. Most items like bags of animal feed etc were 25kg which is a reasonable lift but these were reduced to 20kg. The problem was that most farmers can lift two 20kg bags at a push.

Its OK to say I can lift my case into a car and it weighed 25kg but the handlers for cruise ships and airports handle thousands of bags. This does result in back injuries. We should consider that when we are over loading cases which most of us have done.

Edited by dgs1956

I have sometimes seen suitcases waiting to be taken to cabins with large labels on them saying HEAVY....rather embarrassing for the poor case.

Made me laugh :):)

Have to admit, we were embarrassed with all of the cases we took so were glad to pass them over to someone at Southampton. :D

We did a fly cruise last year with the same allowance but when you print off the labels it mentions on them that the limit is 20kg.

We put 2 through both at 23kg and there was no problem.

If you start splitting it up with a 3rd case then you've got the weight of the 3rd case to contend with and you loose some of you weight allowance there.

Rick.