Curtis Stone restaurant is called 'SHARE'

InTheWASide

The Princess press release describes SHARE as communal dining & by using that word to describe the dining experience then it appears that it will be sharing with others. .

Sounds like family-style to me. Pass the potatoes. Tapas it's not.

Are you all referring to tapas - where the table orders many small plates and shares them as entrees instead of just one entree for each person at the table?

Sounds like family-style to me. Pass the potatoes. Tapas it's not.

I also don't think it's tapas.

I should have been clearer in my post - I just meant to say that what a lot of the posters were describing was tapas.

I agree that the inclusion of the word communal really changes everything (and sounds awful to me personally)

All it would take is some idiot to use a serving spoon or utensil from a shellfish dish and put it in another dish to cause my daughter to get sick. Like you, she has shellfish allergies.

The chairs look so uncomfortable! I can't sit in a hard chair for long before experiencing pain. There is literally nothing that would entice me to try this new restaurant. :(

Pam,

Isn't that something with allergies. I can't even eat at the buffet.

Do you know what will happen with breakfast in Sabatinis??? Pam you know all!!!!!

Maybe the press release says 'communal', but that word is not used in either the description or video on the Princess web site. This is what it says on the Princess web site.

AN ALL NEW SPECIALTY RESTAURANT

Select Princess ships will host this elegant restaurant dedicated to a dining experience that encourages connecting with others. Chef Stone's exquisite menu offers various courses including gourmet salads, handmade pastas, premium quality meat and seafood fresh off the grill, an array of decadent desserts and more! With dishes designed for sharing, guests have an opportunity to reflect on their day with those around them, develop new relationships and enjoy an intimate meal together.

View SHARE photo gallery

Watch SHARE Launch Event Video

^Available on select ships only, Chef Stone's specialty restaurant will debut in December 2015 aboard Emerald Princess, sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to the Caribbean, and Ruby Princess, sailing from Los Angeles to Hawaii and Mexico.

As it says it 'encourages connecting with others', IMHO that is what one does when one shares a table in the MDR with strangers. It IMHO, does not mean to me at least, handing my plate of food to a stranger so that they can eat off of it too.

As I said before, the sharing you do is with the person/people you came with, such as your spouse, SO, friend, family.......but not with a stranger, unless that is something you like to do. :D

Maybe someone who is sailing on the Emerald in December will come back after their cruise and post on the forum to clear things up for everybody.

Edited by Parrottdizes
Didn't mean to use color in the last part of the post.

Share will replace Sabatini's on Emerald, Ruby and Coral. On Sun it will replace the pizzeria. (From Cruise Radio)

I'm not a fan of this concept. Probably fun if you're traveling with friends and family but not with strangers. Smacks too much of boarding school to me. There's always someone who takes a bigger portion not to mention you're sitting there with your food getting cold waiting for the next platter.

I'm agreeing with you!

But the press release DOES say "communal," regardless of what it says elsewhere. No where do they say "not communal." I guess we'll have to wait and see. In any case, the name of the restaurant tells me I'm not getting my own food on a plate and that I'm expected to eat someone else's food as well.

Edited by shredie

Just returned from an Alaska cruise so I’m just catching up on this latest development.

First, it’s nice that so many of you already don’t like the concept – maybe that will make reservations easier. Given the “share” is between members of a single party of people, it’s difficult to believe that allergy or noro virus concerns are warranted. I mean do you really think Princess would shoot for a concept that ignored these issues? And if you do, do you at all feel safe sailing on their ships considering what else they might have ignored?

Second, I think they should replace Adagio on the big girls rather than Sabatini – I like the Italian restaurant and Adagio is always empty.

I think the concept renderings of the dining room look fresh and modern. Of course concept renderings and the final product seldom are exactly alike, so those who are already denying the design are acting a bit too soon.

I guess it would be interesting to know how many anti-communal diners currently use Crown Grill or Sabatini. I have during solo trips where I normally dine alone – and have gotten single seating in these locations. If I really wanted to try Share, then I’d need to be willing to try the concept as well as the food. But really, how many solo diners go to Sabatini? I’m glad a previous poster referred to the Princess video – it certainly explains the “share” concept better than those on this board who are jumping to conclusions…and seems that it would be easily adapted to a single diner.

One poster compared Sabatini to Olive Garden. Seriously? I haven’t been to Olive Garden for years because it’s inferior, but Sabatini is nothing like it. And right, these restaurants at sea are meant to be more generic than authentic. Look around at the passenger load – how many of the people who currently cruise Princess know authentic Italian from Olive Garden? The fact that there will be an adherence to Stone’s menus might just be what ends this trial – Ma and Pa and the brood of t-shirted, ball capped kids aren’t going to go for a concept of high end food for sure.

So for me, the special dishes in the Main Dining Rooms, the Chef’s Table option and the restaurant sound like interesting additions to the cruise line offerings and I’m looking forward to trying all of them.

Edited by bdjam

Just returned from an Alaska cruise so I’m just catching up on this latest development.

First, it’s nice that so many of you already don’t like the concept – maybe that will make reservations easier. Given the “share” is between members of a single party of people, it’s difficult to believe that allergy or noro virus concerns are warranted. I mean do you really think Princess would shoot for a concept that ignored these issues?

I agree with your assumption that the restaurant will not adhere to the concept of "dining with strangers", at least not in its entirety. It sounds more like the communal table will be an option, but that most of the restaurant will be more traditional. Which begs the question...since the vast majority of cruisers sail as couples, what is the point of opening a restaurant called "SHARE" that touts sharing food as its principal feature? Couples can and do share food all the time. The writeup reads as if they want groups of 6 or 8 to go together and whoop it up. I just don't see that as likely given the typical cruise demographic. Unless an entire 8 top from the MDR makes fast friends and wants to all go on the same day. So the "share" concept seems great if groups self-assemble and seems wasted on couples. I just see the latter as being more likely. And who shares "twice cooked duck legs" in the first place?

The fact that there will be an adherence to Stone’s menus might just be what ends this trial – Ma and Pa and the brood of t-shirted, ball capped kids aren’t going to go for a concept of high end food for sure.

I guess that depends. Food trends are evolving. My kid (who doesn't wear ball caps) has never stepped foot in an Olive Garden or Chuck-E-Cheese, but has been to dozens of restaurants that make "Top 100" lists. There is no doubt that we would want to try whatever new Specialty Restaurant Princess rolls out. At least once.

I agree with your assumption that the restaurant will not adhere to the concept of "dining with strangers", at least not in its entirety. It sounds more like the communal table will be an option, but that most of the restaurant will be more traditional. Which begs the question...since the vast majority of cruisers sail as couples, what is the point of opening a restaurant called "SHARE" that touts sharing food as its principal feature? Couples can and do share food all the time. The writeup reads as if they want groups of 6 or 8 to go together and whoop it up. I just don't see that as likely given the typical cruise demographic. Unless an entire 8 top from the MDR makes fast friends and wants to all go on the same day. So the "share" concept seems great if groups self-assemble and seems wasted on couples. I just see the latter as being more likely. And who shares "twice cooked duck legs" in the first place?

I guess that depends. Food trends are evolving. My kid (who doesn't wear ball caps) has never stepped foot in an Olive Garden or Chuck-E-Cheese, but has been to dozens of restaurants that make "Top 100" lists. There is no doubt that we would want to try whatever new Specialty Restaurant Princess rolls out. At least once.

DW and I pretty much always share.

You have a very lucky kid. As I say, I just got off a cruise to Alaska and the majority of passengers on board wouldn't be looking for upscale food opportunities.

It sounds A LOT like Celebrity's "Qsine"--a concept that has been VERY popular on Celebrity ships...

At Qsine, most of the dishes are served for multiple guests--like "sushi lollipops" which are arranged in a sort of a rack--so everyone just grabs one--you are not really touching anyone else's lollipop...Other dishes come multiples on a plate, but each is delivered to your table with a serving spoon or fork--so, again, you are "sharing" the dish, but no one is sticking their personal used germ-filled fork into their tablemates' food.

At Qsine, it makes the most sense for larger parties--because you can order more variety, but it can work for two as well--you just might end up with a smaller variety of dishes--though I guess you can order half portions as well (I don't know--we put together a small group with some Cruise Critic Roll Call friends). And, the portions are all like appetizer-size...so, you keep ordering and they keep bringing stuff...

It's never a problem for those with food allergies or diet or vegetarian issues...You DON'T have to eat everything...just more to go around for the others...and, say, you only eat vegetarian or fish or whatever, you can always order a plate of whatever you do eat for just you and not share it...Since you can order whatever and as much as you want, it doesn't matter...

...My kid (who doesn't wear ball caps) has never stepped foot in an Olive Garden or Chuck-E-Cheese, but has been to dozens of restaurants that make "Top 100" lists.

I'm not sure I understand the need for this comment. Is it a competition? Is your kid better than ours? Mine have eaten everywhere from McD's with their teammates after a game to Chef's Tables. Oh, and they occasionally wear baseball caps in casual circumstances.

I'm not sure I understand the need for this comment. Is it a competition? Is your kid better than ours? Mine have eaten everywhere from McD's with their teammates after a game to Chef's Tables. Oh, and they occasionally wear baseball caps in casual circumstances.

I don't know you or your kids, so it can't be a competition. It is simply a statement that Princess attracts all types of families including those who enjoy fine dining.

so, again, you are "sharing" the dish, but no one is sticking their personal used germ-filled fork into their tablemates' food.

At least, you hope no one does. I was on a schooner cruise where communal dining was the rule. One older gentleman just couldn't be broken of the habit of using his own fork for seconds. :eek:

I'll wait to see how far the sharing concept actually turns out. From the sample menu items I've seen I'm not terribly impressed. I don't do seafood and, as my Mom used to say: "You'll never be a gourmet", so many of the other items aren't appealing to me. But I have the same problem in MDR as well.

I will be on the Emerald for Xmas & New Years (hopefully). Not that I would be eating in a venue like this but we have a suite booked and wonder where suite breakfast will be, probably Crown Grill. The menu that was posted here does nothing for me - whether I'm sharing or not.:p

At least, you hope no one does. I was on a schooner cruise where communal dining was the rule. One older gentleman just couldn't be broken of the habit of using his own fork for seconds. :eek:

I would almost guarantee someone is going to stick a personal-just-out-of-the-mouth fork into something on the communal platters. I further would not be surprised to see him change his mind and leave his first choice on the platter and then choose another. Does anyone have such a relative who shows up at Thanksgiving? I have more than one.

For those of you looking forward to Share, I say good for you. I, however, find the whole concept just too much like eating dinner with my uncouth relatives. I want my own plate delivered to me with food on it already.

I'm on my phone which makes this post 20 pages so I only got through five. But here is my two cents. I just called princess and the associate put me on hold and checked with the help desk and said that the breakfast will still be served either in that restaurant or the steakhouse. I was making sure this was not another perk they were taking away because if it was, they better cough up a lot more on board credit as that is many people's favorite perk. My other concern about breakfast was that most of the time that is a two person meal. The larger tables will definitely make that less cozy and romantic for those who are looking for that. I really hope they choose the steakhouse. As for the restaurant itself, as a chef I was excited about it being a Curtis Stone venue but to me if I wanted to share with strangers I would do that in the dining room. I agree that since it says family and friends that may not be their intention at all but I also think that the abundance of larger tables would imply that. Now, on the flip side, they may just give a 2 top a table for 8. I never see very many people in the pay restaurants anyway, so it may be a non-issue. As for Sabatini's, I don't love their dinners and would choose crown grill anyway. I'm obviously just concerned about my suite perk lol

Edited by Mrs.Gosse