Meet and Greet popularity

newmexicoNita

Our 10.4.15 cruise on the Breakaway has about 70+ people attending the M&G and within those people, we have about 20 celebrating birthdays or anniversaries, including my birthday (10.4)!!! I am looking forward to this M&G since it will be my first one & since I am cruising alone with my 9 year old, it gives me an opportunity to meet other people on board as well.

My first cruise on the Jewel back in 2011 had a roll call that was boring and a very half ass attempt at putting a M&G together. I think demographics plays a big part and as well as the itinerary. We will be on a ship for 3 days at sea before we reach our port so there's more time for people to attend the M&G. Maybe??:confused:

Edited by ashley_and_jason

I think it may be too early to cancel the Meet and Greet. A lot of people might sign up last minute or when they are in plan mode. I have hosted two Meet and Greets in the last two years and most of the postings came closer to sailing. One was on the Gem and the other was the Jade in Europe. I always plan ahead with name tags(bigger than the ones given on the ship), ice breakers, etc. In the end, about 70 percent showed up. I do it because a I enjoy it- I have not gotten anything from NCL for hosting, Some posted once on the Roll Call and showed up and others posted more often and did not come.

I'd give to mid-September before canceling.

I can see several reasons for why there might not be interest in the Roll Call/M&G:

A) Type of cruise. It isn't for a cruise where you're going to group together for private tours - and want to meet in person early on. And it isn't for a TA where you're going to be spending a lot of time with everyone on board, might as well make some friends before you go.

B) Tone/attitude of posters. I know others have brought this up, but it's been my experience after just having come back from a 2 year hiatus that the tone here (cruise critic forums) is decidedly more negative and judgemental than I remember it being. Some people will be turned off by this and not want to participate. This also encompasses the clique-y feel that some roll calls may get. (And I have been on one with the professional moderators who arrange group excursions and I suspect benefit from them.)

C) The cruising demographic is changing. It's not just "old school" folks like myself who remember when our telephones were connected to the wall and could only be used for calling people. Face-to-face interactions were the norm of our day. Plus, you've got lots of repeat cruisers with the BTDT attitude.

I believe the negativity on the CC boards has a very big impact on people's desire to attend the M&G.

Also, as has been mentioned, the "bitching sessions" that occur on some of the M&G's will impact future meetings.

I have heard people demand bridge tours at the meetings, and I know beforehand that NCL corporate had stopped that. The HD responded to the demands that CC people write too much. When I posted that, I was immediately accused of lying.

That sort of thing sets the tone on some of the boards, and that directly impacts the desires of some to stay away from the controversy.

On the other side of the coin, some people trigger a desire to meet and associate with them, so that offsets some of the negativity.

The number of officers who attend on NCL is normally greater than the other mainstream lines I have sailed, and they remember the faces and make it a point to try to enhance your cruise.

I plan to attend the meetings on whatever line I cruise because I can select the people and officers I choose to associate with.

Since I have visited most of the Mexican iviera ports numerous times, I try to offer some tips to hopefully enhance the enjoyment of the cruise for others. Some accept that and others don't, but I try !!

Edited by swedish weave

We are going to have a difference of opinions on this one. :)

I have done about 20 M&Gs I crashed more than 1/2.

I sail last minute and have posted in a roll call the night before it sailed " just booked see you all at the M&G "

I like to see who the driver is, who's cookin, and who's yellin It's BINGO TIME .

I have also found many a C.C. member to be in my "twenty"

You Know. Some how out of 2000/3000/people on board there will be about twenty people you see over and over again, Meet, hang with, Etc.

I have personally meet a few hundred C.C. members and can put a face to a lot of fellow posters. ( I Like That) Many that we keep in touch with and hope to sail with again.

I do try to participate even if I only have a handful of post in a roll call. :D

It is a matter of opinion, but we too have always found them fun, informative and had made lasting friends from attending and/or organizing them. I have no idea how many I have organized or been a part of. We have always had some who do just book tours with a the group, other who just attend the M&G and others that like to be part of all the activities. somave e trtn madea o ae ag g oal

I don't think it's the itinerary. We went on a Mexican riviera cruise early April. Admittedly we didn't book until late February, but it was a great roll call with people posting handy advice, mostly about ports, precruise hotels and places to eat etc. I found it extremely helpful, the M&G was good and it was nice to be able to run into familiar faces on the ship. Maybe lots of people will book last minute like we did.

My feeling pretty much is: if we expect the officers to be there, we should expect at least 20 cruisers to attend. I agree, those who say they want to be on the list, but rarely ever post after the first time are, most likely not going to show.

Often heard is the "Crew out number the cruisers" !

That is a very sad situation - but there is one consolation in this as more

detailed time can be devoted to the interests of those attending with their

specific questions.

A WELL ORGANIZED AND SUCCESSFUL M *&* G STARS RIGHT HERE AT CC !

Go to the CC home page:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/

and look about a third of a way down the page for:

"ROLL CALLS"

Click on the cruise line and ship and browse further for the specific sailing dates.

If yours is not listed then decision you can start a thread to initiate one or

offer assistance to anyone wanting to start one.

Need help ?

Go to the NCL CC home page:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

Look down about 6 or so lines for the STICKY How to start a M & G !

It is suggested that cruisers - sign-up - log-in - take part in an open discussion

of their plans and determine if others are of the same camp.

If in doubt about activities or shore excursions usually you will find someone

who has cruised in the past and can offer help or on the other hand a newbe

who has the same aspirations (and apprehensions) about what to do.

It is all in how and what you want to make of the informal meeting.

Of note the M & G is usually held in the late morning on the 2nd day of the

cruise in a suitably large enough venue to accommodate the group and the

ships officers attending.

The crew attending is usually - The Captain - Hotel Director - Cruise Director -

Concierge - MDR maître de - heads of other departments.

The theme is not at all like walking the plank - just a jovial meeting to introduce

you to having all the fun that can be done cruising.

A sort of breakfast buffet is provided on most ships with coffee tea OJ water and

an assortment of rolls and pastries muffins etc.

Don't be a stuffed shirt or a closet cruiser - come on have some fun !

And Aye Matey we have ways to make you enjoy the plank walking excursion !

Edited by don't-use-real-name

We have over 100 scheduled for our M&G on the Getaway in September.

NCL is the best for hosting these events. They always have a good showing of the Officers and usually provide snacks and light drinks.

I've never been disappointed at an NCL M&G.

You get out of it what you put into it, as in life.

Happy cruising to all!

I personally think Meet/Greets are invaluable. "half of life is showing up" so they say. The meet/Greet for my next cruise is wonderful. I'm traveling with my Mom (w/medical problems) & my daughter. Although it's a great bonding experience, I know I'll have a few nights where I want to let loose w/ peeps my own age etc..

I went to the Meet/Greet for Royal Caribbean and was a bit disappointed with the lack of Officers/people from Royal. The peeps were nice but Royal Just threw some gifts our way and that was it.

We always attend the M&G. We've made some great friends (you know who you are) thru this site :D

My best advice is to not sit down. I never do.

A slot pull after the M&G also extends it kinda and gives you time to chat with people while cheering on your own money ;)

I also love a cabin crawl later in the week to catch up with CCers we may not run into a lot during the week.

DH and I attended a HAL meet and greet. It was ok; he didn't really enjoy and felt that it was a bit of a competition (who's been on the most cruises, more expensive cruises,etc.). Whatever. I could go either way. I signed up for the M&G on my upcoming cruise, as it is on NCL, and I haven't been to an NCL M&G - only one previous cruise on this line. And, yes, I'd love to meet some of the officers, if they come!

We also had a negative experience where we were befriended by a couple and then could not "shake" them. It's fun to meet new people, but we enjoy cruising because we don't have to follow schedules (so much) and have more opportunities to kind of wing it. When you do things with others, you get back into the normal rhythm of planning, analyzing, etc., and we go on vacation to get away from that. Just my two cents....

I think it will vary by ship and cruise length, because there are different personalities of folks who frequent a 7 day cruise over Spring Break or summer vacation, vs. a 10 day, or a shorter cruise. Different people have different tolerance for how much of their vacation they want to share with other unrelated people!

That said, I think that NCL is extremely gracious in providing these events when we ask for them, and I got the impression that, at least on Pearl, the management really wants to know what we're thinking about the service they provide, and they use these meetings as a chance to connect with a subgroup of customers that are generally a bit more committed to cruising than your average Joe. But we can offer that feedback in a respectful and gracious manner ourselves--it will only take a few more entitled people to make the whole thing unpleasant for all of us.

I think it will vary by ship and cruise length, because there are different personalities of folks who frequent a 7 day cruise over Spring Break or summer vacation, vs. a 10 day, or a shorter cruise. Different people have different tolerance for how much of their vacation they want to share with other unrelated people!

That said, I think that NCL is extremely gracious in providing these events when we ask for them, and I got the impression that, at least on Pearl, the management really wants to know what we're thinking about the service they provide, and they use these meetings as a chance to connect with a subgroup of customers that are generally a bit more committed to cruising than your average Joe. But we can offer that feedback in a respectful and gracious manner ourselves--it will only take a few more entitled people to make the whole thing unpleasant for all of us.

I agree with you that the M&G is not the place to ask loaded questions or to try to place the officers in an awkward position even though I have seen this happen. Since the M&G is usually held the first sea day or the second day of the cruise, it is hard to understand how some people can have serious problems so early in their cruise.

This is a social event, and if someone has a complaint that requires the attention of one of the senior officers, it should be taken up in a different venue or by discreetly asking for a personal meeting with that officer..

Good manners make for a good meet and greet !!!

Edited by swedish weave

On my upcoming cruise, the M&G is at a surprisingly bad time (9am on a port day!)

When I asked how this was selected, I was told that NCL gave them that time as when the officers could make it.

Whatever.

I would think that convenient times for the passengers is more important than presence of officers.

HI NITA.... As you and I have discussed.... no M/G seems to be the thing for those of us sailing on the JEWELL in Oct. I have suggested to the few interested, that we meet Monday afternoon for casual drinks in the bar... not sure how many of is any will be there....BUT I will....for sure..... and do intend to have a G R E A T time on the Oct 4th sailing....lov ya...

later...l.jus' me.....jim.... the velvet teddy bear....:cool:

There are a lot of us who wait until the last minute to sign up because we have no intention of knowingly being in a room with some of the more aggressive and abrasive members of CC who spend their time (and ruin the forum, IMHO) sniping at each other and acting like children.

There have been a couple of M&G where people said they were embarrassed at the way CC members treated the hotel director and other officers present.

We have enjoyed attending but given the state of affairs here recently, we are keeping a close eye on the roll call list.

This. Sadly on more than one occasion.:eek:

FWIW - our main driver for attending a M&G would be if we have arranged private excursions with others. We can touch base and arrange RV times etc.. We then know who to look for (best not to leave things to chance early in the morning:)).

Generally, if we say we will attend, we do. It is the polite thing to do after all (we did miss 1 M&G due to it clashing with something we really wanted to do on board).

I especially think it is important for the people who have organized and those who have asked to join private tours to attend Meet & Greets in order to discuss when and where to meet on the days of the tours. One particular tour that we had organized included a couple who did not attend the M & G and the morning of the tour, they showed up at the wrong place and were 45 minutes late for the tour. They had prepaid for the tour, so we were reluctant to depart without them, but will make sure that in the future - those who are tardy will understand that you can't hold up the entire group for that long of a period of time.

One that we attended had people who wanted to participate to bring a gift from their state ($10 or less) and we drew numbers in order to choose the gift. That was a fun activity and a great way to start conversations.

Cole

DH and I attended a HAL meet and greet. It was ok; he didn't really enjoy and felt that it was a bit of a competition (who's been on the most cruises, more expensive cruises,etc.). Whatever. I could go either way. I signed up for the M&G on my upcoming cruise, as it is on NCL, and I haven't been to an NCL M&G - only one previous cruise on this line. And, yes, I'd love to meet some of the officers, if they come!

We also had a negative experience where we were befriended by a couple and then could not "shake" them. It's fun to meet new people, but we enjoy cruising because we don't have to follow schedules (so much) and have more opportunities to kind of wing it. When you do things with others, you get back into the normal rhythm of planning, analyzing, etc., and we go on vacation to get away from that. Just my two cents....

I have to smile when you mention being befriended and can't shake them. It has happened to us more than once, but on the other hand, we have made some really fun people, people we hang out with during the cruise and even stay in contact with after we cruise. But, yes, there might be a time when you would just like to hide when you see someone coming.

And as for meeting the officers, you will for sure meet many of them at your M&G. unlike Princess. We see Princess M&G like you see HAL. It is a I have done more than you competition.

HI NITA.... As you and I have discussed.... no M/G seems to be the thing for those of us sailing on the JEWELL in Oct. I have suggested to the few interested, that we meet Monday afternoon for casual drinks in the bar... not sure how many of is any will be there....BUT I will....for sure..... and do intend to have a G R E A T time on the Oct 4th sailing....lov ya...

later...l.jus' me.....jim.... the velvet teddy bear....:cool:

Velvet, wish we were on the same cruise. yes, we too have decided just to get together late Monday afternoon for a drink. I doubt there well be many of us, but we will still have a chance to get to know each other.

take care, have a great cruise, yes, we intend on having fun regardless.

Often heard is the "Crew out number the cruisers" !

That is a very sad situation - but there is one consolation in this as more

detailed time can be devoted to the interests of those attending with their

specific questions.

A WELL ORGANIZED AND SUCCESSFUL M *&* G STARS RIGHT HERE AT CC !

Go to the CC home page:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/

and look about a third of a way down the page for:

"ROLL CALLS"

Click on the cruise line and ship and browse further for the specific sailing dates.

If yours is not listed then decision you can start a thread to initiate one or

offer assistance to anyone wanting to start one.

Need help ?

Go to the NCL CC home page:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

Look down about 6 or so lines for the STICKY How to start a M & G !

It is suggested that cruisers - sign-up - log-in - take part in an open discussion

of their plans and determine if others are of the same camp.

If in doubt about activities or shore excursions usually you will find someone

who has cruised in the past and can offer help or on the other hand a newbe

who has the same aspirations (and apprehensions) about what to do.

It is all in how and what you want to make of the informal meeting.

Of note the M & G is usually held in the late morning on the 2nd day of the

cruise in a suitably large enough venue to accommodate the group and the

ships officers attending.

The crew attending is usually - The Captain - Hotel Director - Cruise Director -

Concierge - MDR maître de - heads of other departments.

The theme is not at all like walking the plank - just a jovial meeting to introduce

you to having all the fun that can be done cruising.

A sort of breakfast buffet is provided on most ships with coffee tea OJ water and

an assortment of rolls and pastries muffins etc.

Don't be a stuffed shirt or a closet cruiser - come on have some fun !

And Aye Matey we have ways to make you enjoy the plank walking excursion !

Thanks a lot for the advise. People who are leading a M&G for the first time or attending one for the first time can really benefit from the information.

I think I have organized about a dozen or more, even before they were an official part of CC. One thing we have done, which is a big hit: we have gathered bios before sailing from those who have shown an interest and hubby has assembled a newspaper, featufing each guest who submitted information. It is a lot of work, but fun as well. We have done a lot of other things as well, cabin crawl, slot pull, lots of group tours and even a last night get together or dinner. I am just thinking, there is some reason why this group isn't clicking. It could have to do with the tourmoil some are feeling the comany is in right now or it could just be the changing times.

The roll call for our MR on the Jewel in early January is also a small group -- in fact, when I looked, the numbers for the whole month are low.

It's not super active, yet. But so far the few people there are very nice and I'm looking forward to meeting them. I did a M&G on our last cruise a few years ago, and it was ok -- mostly small groups sitting around with a drink. We did end up making some friends and enjoyed the experience.

I would agree that the tone here on CC has changed over the years. I had a long hiatus. It's still an amazing place to get info and connect with people, but there is a lot more negative behavior. It's kind of sad that in just a few days of participation one can readily identify the troublemakers. It makes me wonder how many newbies just quietly go away without getting involved in the community.

Edited by 3kidsncats

On my upcoming cruise, the M&G is at a surprisingly bad time (9am on a port day!)

When I asked how this was selected, I was told that NCL gave them that time as when the officers could make it.

Whatever.

I would think that convenient times for the passengers is more important than presence of officers.

To be fair, you left out one important item--while the M&G is on a port day at 9-10am, the ship does not arrive until 11:30am.

NCL Jade this past winter was our first massmarket cruise.

I took it upon myself to organise a few private tours, and was happy to participate in a few other people's. Those cruisers did a fantastic job with what they laid on.

So I went to the M&G to see-and-be seen for our private tour groups.

That proved to be un-necessary, so I can't see myself going to another M&G.

The guy who organised the M&G was in our tour groups and I hope I can count him as a friend for life. He's a prince. But otherwise I found the event to range from being a waste of time (having the ship's officer's pointed out) to being modestly creepy (having the mic passed around and having to say something).

I totally understand the value of the roll call (info exchange, and setting up private tours) but I think I'd rather sit through a NCL so-called-art sale sober than attend another M&G.