Meet and Greet popularity

newmexicoNita

We will be seated in the rear and if any of our fellow pax decide to air their grievances about recent NCL changes we will leave. I sat through a tirade last year at a M&G and was mortified. When we met with the HD later in the cruise I reassured him that all cc'ers were that ill-mannered. SO embarrassing for everyone there. The HD did offer to meet privately with the unhappy pax....who kept bringing up issues they had on cruises that were over a year ago!! SMHID....

The issue I have with this is that the anger is misplaced - it's like people yelling at the ticket agent because the plane is out of service. The hotel director runs the customer side of the ship - one ship - not the cruise line. If you're that annoyed, call corporate before you leave.

Of course it is !!! That is what I was saying ;)

If I'm at a meet and greet and this type of behavior starts to happen, I'll simply get up and leave, as I don't want to be associated with those passengers that try to take the changes out on the officers that have no decision making power over the changes.

I did that once also...that kind of behavior makes me very uncomfortable and it is uncalled for. ;)

I just want to throw my 2 cents in :D From my signature you can tell I have cruised a lot and a good majority was to the Mexican Riviera. I know the ports like I know my hometown. Being a West Coaster it is our go to cruise because it is easy for us.

I have always found Roll Calls good for First time cruisers, longer cruises with those going to more foreign ports and organizing tours and those with families that can get kids together with other kids similar age and last but not least getting everyone excited and pumped up for the cruise.:D Through the years I have participated in many Roll Calls that were practically non existent, some of those got a bit more activity the 4 weeks prior to the cruise. Then there were those Roll Calls that had 100+ participants and and too many pages to search for who posted what. I am coming up on my 5th NCL cruise and so far have only attended one Meet and Greet. I thought NCL did an Impressive job with many of the Officers present. But like other cruise lines the default time is the first Sea Day at 10:30 or 11. Being someone that enjoys the Spa and prefers to go mid morning the first Sea Day it totally cuts into the time that is a bit more important to me. (I think NCL would prefer I go spend money in the Spa ;) )So while I participate pre cruise in the Roll Call once on board I do my own thing and do not participate in the Meet and Greet..

In all honesty I think this is the case with a lot of West Coast Cruisers, many have cruised this itinerary many times and will tend to not get as active with a Roll Call. Then one must also remember that Cruise Critic is a VERY Small percentage of those that cruise.

We are sailing the Jewel in November and while several are posting on our Roll Call no one has volunteered for setting up a Meet and Greet and I have the feeling there would not be many that would go. Which I admit is unfortunately for those that do want to meet other cruisers.

We will be seated in the rear and if any of our fellow pax decide to air their grievances about recent NCL changes we will leave. I sat through a tirade last year at a M&G and was mortified. When we met with the HD later in the cruise I reassured him that all cc'ers were that ill-mannered. SO embarrassing for everyone there. The HD did offer to meet privately with the unhappy pax....who kept bringing up issues they had on cruises that were over a year ago!! SMHID....

That would be hilarious... like a live staging of an episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm". Cringe city.

I may need to re-think not going to roll calls

That would be hilarious... like a live staging of an episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm". Cringe city.

I may need to re-think not going to roll calls

Oh no, don't re-think it

I have never been to a bad roll call...maybe just luck, but don't let anyone else ruin it for you - I have made some lifelong friends with them and really, they can enrich your cruising experience!

That would have been way better.

I see pizzalady has offered to change it in our roll call thread, but nobody is really speaking up, so that probably won't happen.

Oh well. You guys will live just fine without my presence.

How about a meet and greet for poker players? Would be nice if we could locate enough poker players to get a private game going. I've seen this on a prior cruise. I think it was a library. I'm talking 6-8 player sit n go. Where do you play in LA? Do you ever go to the WSOP? I'm from Phoenix and know quite a few players in that area. Right now I play mostly at Winstar north of DFW.

Yet they worry so about what cruise critics will post. They always ask that there be no negative posting, and allow them to handle any problems on board. The officers come mostly to the M&G to secure that point to us.

Safe sailing

I have never ever heard the officers at at a meet and greet please don't post negative comments. That is ridiculous.

I have never ever heard the officers at at a meet and greet please don't post negative comments. That is ridiculous.
I've never heard them say that at any of the meet and greets I've attended either.

What I did think was great is that the Hotel Director on my last two Pearl cruises had a second meeting to discuss any issues at the end of the cruise. He said he wanted to make sure they addressed them. I didn't go to either, but heard that some folks brought up some issues they had. I did talk with a few folks that went and they never said that he asked them not to post negatives on Cruise Critic or that Cruise Critic was even brought up at the meeting.

I've never heard them say that at any of the meet and greets I've attended either.

What I did think was great is that the Hotel Director on my last two Pearl cruises had a second meeting to discuss any issues at the end of the cruise. He said he wanted to make sure they addressed them. I didn't go to either, but heard that some folks brought up some issues they had. I did talk with a few folks that went and they never said that he asked them not to post negatives on Cruise Critic or that Cruise Critic was even brought up at the meeting.

I've never heard the officers/staff say anything about negative comments either

but that is great about the pearl cruises! While I don't think a meet and greet is supposed to be about complaining, it is nice that they are willing to set aside a different time to address concerns!

I have been to meet and greets where the officers have said something to the affect of: If there are any problems please come to us about them while onboard so that we can take care of them......rather than say nothing and complain about your cruise after your home and post it on CC.

I've heard that on more than one cruise.

Harriet

....wow....I just read this whole thread and my head honestly hurts!! It was kind of like when you are passing a car accident and know you shouldn't rubber neck but, you gotta look!

I was on many cruises as a single person and pre CC... once I got married and started raising a family, my love of cruising was put on hold. When our family finally went on a Carnival Valor cruise 2/12 and, my husband and I did attend a sail away party and meet and greet. We had to pay( I think over $20/pp) for the meet and greet which did have an open bar. I don't recall any officers being there. It was a very quiet event with minimal interaction.

I have been a member of the Roll Call for the inaugural 11/14 Escape voyage since booking in January. It is a very active roll call with, probably, >150 people signed up for the Meet and Greet. Our roll call has many experienced cruisers with lots of good information. I am a very active "lurker" who, on occasion, will post but, I tend to defer to those who have been there, done that. I disagree with "Sea Shark's" assertion that, because I am not a frequent poster, I am less valuable or less likely to attend the Meet and Greet. After reading this thread, though, I am a bit hesitant to go. I would really hate to see the frequent sniping and negativity which permeates the NCL site, Everything Escape thread and, less so, our Roll Calll affect this event. I am going on this much needed cruise vacation to "escape" all the stress and negativity which I endure during my "real life"

I will continue to actively follow my roll call and hope that our Meet and Mingle will be a positive event.

We felt very lucky on our last cruise on the Pearl. Even with the horrible noro problems our meet and greet, both the first and then a feed back the last day went pretty smoothly. There were a few people who could have kept their mouths shut, but overall even the hotel drector was happy the way everything went. We generally have had nothing but good M&Gs. One time I did ask why there hadn't been any new Caribbean ports for ages or why NCL could not sail out of Baltimore or some other place. The hotel director who was the worst I had ever seen as much as told be to shut up. He also griped about so few attending the M&G. There were only about 16 of us and I was disappointed, but he didn't have to take it out on me. I think, from my comment he thought I was going to start bitching. I wasn't, I thought I had a legit question and I wanted to get the questions going the officers wouldnt feel they had wasted their time.

I think this happens sometimes when the person in charge waits to long to contact NCL. I always contact them about 3-4 months prior to sail date. They always get back to me within a day or two with a day and time....it's always been first sea day around 10:30 or 11:00 a.m. for an hour. I usually get back to them a few weeks prior to sailing with a more accurate number of those who will attend. I also make sure to check to make sure that the Platinum BTS tour is not scheduled for the same day/time. I've been very lucky to date with all those I've planned.

Harriet

You and I see eye to eye on this. I always set the M&Gs up about 4 or even 6 months in advance. Then I keep or ask someone with better computer skills then me to keep a running list as to who is on the roll call and who plans on attending the M&G. We alos ask for ideas of acitivities we would like to do together. Yes, a few weeks prior to our sailing date I re-confirm with NCL. Other than this time we have only had one bad one. That was the one I mentioned in my last post a few minutes ago.

You and I see eye to eye on this. I always set the M&Gs up about 4 or even 6 months in advance. Then I keep or ask someone with better computer skills then me to keep a running list as to who is on the roll call and who plans on attending the M&G. We alos ask for ideas of acitivities we would like to do together. Yes, a few weeks prior to our sailing date I re-confirm with NCL. Other than this time we have only had one bad one. That was the one I mentioned in my last post a few minutes ago.

This is very interesting indeed.

I think the early posts hit it on the head in that the new cruisers are not interested in this anymore in general.

I would say that us Europeans do not really get cruise critic and generally are not interested in meet and greets. just a view

Also I would suggest that NCL do not push it as they do not see a value to it

I have been to meet and greets where the officers have said something to the affect of: If there are any problems please come to us about them while onboard so that we can take care of them......rather than say nothing and complain about your cruise after your home and post it on CC.

Harriet

YES - I have heard this at several meet and greets and it is so true.

Do people who set up M&G's still get VIP treatment (Suite Perks, in their otherwise non-suite cabin) or did NCL do away with this as well?

We went to our first M&G, but have skipped all the rest since, mainly because I cruise NCL to be freestyle, If I remember to go to the M&G maybe I'll swing by, it's not very high on my priority list.

Do people who set up M&G's still get VIP treatment (Suite Perks, in their otherwise non-suite cabin) or did NCL do away with this as well?

We went to our first M&G, but have skipped all the rest since, mainly because I cruise NCL to be freestyle, If I remember to go to the M&G maybe I'll swing by, it's not very high on my priority list.

All the folks that set up the meet and greets I've attended and spoke to have gotten special treatment (treats, VIP status or dinner with officer, etc.), but there are those on here who say that some get special treatment and others don't....I guess it might be it is hit or miss depending on the ship. Edited by NLH Arizona

All the folks that set up the meet and greets I've attended and spoke to have gotten special treatment (treats, VIP status or dinner with officer, etc.), but there are those on here who say that some get special treatment and others don't....I guess it might be it is hit or miss depending on the ship.

Hmmm ... I have set up five or six M&Gs and have yet to have a special perk (or perk of any kind) come my way.

Harriet

Prem said exactly that at our M&G last year.

Not everyone gets perks or special treatment when coordinating the M&G. A number of factors go into that. Bottom line, it's up to the HD on the ship as to whether or not those are extended. On my 2nd NCL cruise, we knew the concierge on board. He said the woman who was coordinating the M&G hadn't been extended any perks and she had the nerve to call the HD and practically demand them. She still didn't get them. Our concierge friend laughed and said she won't get squat with that attitude no matter what. He also made me think that she had garnered a reputation and no officer in their right mind would extend anything to her.

If you do get the perks, be grateful and discreet. I've heard that if you're not, those perks can dry up quickly. I wish my friend was still with NCL because he had great stories!

I will continue to actively follow my roll call and hope that our Meet and Mingle will be a positive event.

I'm sure it will. Don't miss it. *IF* it gets anything but friendly just leave. Most people are not mean and green in person as they can be over a computer screen.

Harriet

This was never the case, it's up to the senior officers, how crowded ship is and many other factors. It nice surprise when offered but people shouldn't decide to plan meet and greet just to get perks especially on the big ships