Booked My First River Cruise

Lois R

I wonder if AMA has any contracts with airlines where you can book a refundable ticket at non-refundable prices without paying until final payment is due. This way if the price goes up instead of down you have something booked. The reason that I ask is that I've done this when booking Gate1 tours with Lufthansa and it worked out great.

My TA already called AMA for me:)....they have flights but not enough

difference for me to have them do anything......I would rather have

control of my own stuff (unless the savings would be hunderds of

$$$ of course;)).

Sure you may ask:)..and the answer is no:D...AMA has cruises where it is

totally waived...they have a certain amount of single cabins and when

you book one of those there is no supplement:D.

Good to know. One of the things that has prohibited me from taking river cruises is the (generally) 200% single supplement....

On the AMA waterways website they have free air or reduced air advertised for the early April tulip cruise .

My TA called for me......it is not what it seems....there is always "fine print"......

I can't remember everything but I saw that "airfare deal" and so did my

TA.......it won't work for me.

Edited by Lois R

There's a river cruise forum that's really helpful

Thanks....I know:D...I found it a few years ago (when I was looking

at taking one back then)......so I have now gone back over there to

post and research:)

Lois - I know you've been over on the RC forum. I think awhfy & I are just trying to point out to others who are asking lots of questions here in Beauty & Fashion that there is a specific forum full of experienced & helpful people who might be able to answer these questions.

Also, because I keep getting in trouble for being "off-topic" - I was trying to divert those questions appropriately:)

Lois - I know you've been over on the RC forum. I think awhfy & I are just trying to point out to others who are asking lots of questions here in Beauty & Fashion that there is a specific forum full of experienced & helpful people who might be able to answer these questions.

Also, because I keep getting in trouble for being "off-topic" - I was trying to divert those questions appropriately:)

Oh..ok...:) I wasn't trying to get anyone in trouble.......:eek:

And since I started the thread, you should not be getting repripranded

at all!

Not specifically here, just in general. I'm easily diverted.

As Host Jazzbeau recently said, "oh look, a squirrel....." :D

I must have missed that one;)

As for clothing:D.......I know it will be pretty casual but I still plan

to bring some nice slacks for evenings (with tops too LOL:)).

I've posted my capsule wardrobe a couple times - I won't again here because I don't think it will be seasonally appropriate for you since I went in December. I brought 3 prs pants and 1 dress for our 13 days trip (10 day cruise, a couple days pre-cruise) - all black:p Water resistant (Mountain Hardwear), skinny black corduroy, black Chico traveler, and a knee length merino wool. I mostly wore the Mtn Hardware & cords for daytime touring and the Chicos and dress for dinner, but each piece could be worn daytime or evening, depending on temps & activities planned. When I wore the dress for dinner, I was typically more "dressed up" than 90% of others on the boat, but that's ok - it's one of my favorite things to wear, so....

• 5 weeks later...

Have you tried looking at a connection trough Frankfurt? Since both I and the DH are former service we have been through Frankfurt almost as many times as we have been through Heathrow for cruises. Check a train too. The area can be beautiful in spring. With Europe's mass transit and your packing savvy a air/train package can be easy if the prices are right. And I want to hear any sightings of the new accessible river boat. I forget the name at the moment. Enjoy,!

Have you tried looking at a connection trough Frankfurt? Since both I and the DH are former service we have been through Frankfurt almost as many times as we have been through Heathrow for cruises. Check a train too. The area can be beautiful in spring. With Europe's mass transit and your packing savvy a air/train package can be easy if the prices are right. And I want to hear any sightings of the new accessible river boat. I forget the name at the moment. Enjoy,!

Hi, Frankfurt? Nope. I keep looking at United because they actually

fly right into AMS with no stops in Europe...in other words, Jax to either

Philly, Houston or O'hare and then directly on to AMS. I just have to decide

what I want to do and maybe prices will come down a bit while I am

deciding;)

HI Lois: Good for you, we have been looking at river cruises for some time now , and the one we are most interested in is the Tulip cruise. Would love to go. Have researched AMA and they get good reviews . I do hope you post a review. I will follow that for sure.

I have heard that Iceland air has some good prices , but have not researched that as yet , and they give you a free layover in Iceland as well . Our daughter when to Iceland and loved it, so may be that is something that you could check. Anyway , happy for you .

Cori

HI Lois: Good for you, we have been looking at river cruises for some time now , and the one we are most interested in is the Tulip cruise. Would love to go. Have researched AMA and they get good reviews . I do hope you post a review. I will follow that for sure.

I have heard that Iceland air has some good prices , but have not researched that as yet , and they give you a free layover in Iceland as well . Our daughter when to Iceland and loved it, so may be that is something that you could check. Anyway , happy for you .

Cori

Hi Cori, thanks for the tip......I will check them out.:)

I have never done a river cruise, but one of my closest friends did an eight night one last year. She was on a different river cruise line than you, but we suspect it was comparable. She was able to get all her clothes in one checked bag and a carry on. I asked about specifically what she packed. For nighttime,on the boat,there were no formal nights. She packed one pair of black slacks and one pair of creme slacks with multiple interchangeable tops/sweaters. Daytime was a pair of dark denim jeans, a pair of khaki slacks, and a pair of navy corduroys. Tops were sweaters and T-necks. Two pairs of comfortable shoes for daytime and a pair of low heeled black shoes for evening. This woman is a fashion diva and she felt she was one of the best dressed women the cruise. Most people wore jeans during the day and casual clothing at night.

I have never done a river cruise, but one of my closest friends did an eight night one last year. She was on a different river cruise line than you, but we suspect it was comparable. She was able to get all her clothes in one checked bag and a carry on. I asked about specifically what she packed. For nighttime,on the boat,there were no formal nights. She packed one pair of black slacks and one pair of creme slacks with multiple interchangeable tops/sweaters. Daytime was a pair of dark denim jeans, a pair of khaki slacks, and a pair of navy corduroys. Tops were sweaters and T-necks. Two pairs of comfortable shoes for daytime and a pair of low heeled black shoes for evening. This woman is a fashion diva and she felt she was one of the best dressed women the cruise. Most people wore jeans during the day and casual clothing at night.

Good morning:)...glad she was able to have her packing done in 1 bag

if that was what she wanted to do.

I prefer to bring a checked a bag and a carry on.