Lost luggage Holland America Alaska Cruise Aug 2015

Simplysls

However, the process she described really did sound that it was Luggage Direct. Perhaps it was, and OP doesn't know that term?

I've never heard of a HAL baggage transfer to the airport for us that was not part of Luggage Direct.

I have had HAL process the transfer when I was doing a HAL coach to the airport, but the only tags I put on the bag was the usual disembarkation tag. There was no special "airline type" tag for me to add when I did that; there is for Luggage Direct.

I think it is important to be aware that even though Luggage Direct works well the vast majority of the time, there can be errors made (this is not the first one I have heard of). When things do go wrong with Luggage Direct, they go wrong in ways we don't think of, which makes the problems harder to solve.

I have had that experience too, Ruth. When using a transfer I pick up my own bags and deliver them to the bus. At the airport they are handed directly to me to check in.

One precaution I do take however, is to sit on the side of the bus that the luggage goes in. Then when the bus stops at other terminals first, I can make sure our suitcases are not removed in error and left at the curb.

I have had that experience too, Ruth. When using a transfer I pick up my own bags and deliver them to the bus. At the airport they are handed directly to me to check in.

That's the normal process when you take a HAL transfer, and your luggage goes with you. That's not what I was trying to describe, but I guess I could have said it better.

I was trying to describe those situations where HAL sends the luggage in a truck for people; you do not claim your luggage in the terminal.

It is collected from outside your cabin door that last night, and you see it again when you arrive at the airport. It is in a secure area, or guarded, and you pick it up as you disembark the bus.

I have done that in Vancouver, Copenhagen, and Santiago, Chile. In every case, we had the color/number disembarkation tags.

That's the normal process when you take a HAL transfer, and your luggage goes with you. That's not what I was trying to describe, but I guess I could have said it better.

I was trying to describe those situations where HAL sends the luggage in a truck for people; you do not claim your luggage in the terminal.

It is collected from outside your cabin door that last night, and you see it again when you arrive at the airport. It is in a secure area, or guarded, and you pick it up as you disembark the bus.

I have done that in Vancouver, Copenhagen, and Santiago, Chile. In every case, we had the color/number disembarkation tags.

Ah, so they have two ways of doing it. I do remember a truck being used in Copenhagen to take our bags from the hotel to the ship.

We have only used a transfer four times so I guess not enough to experience the alternate method you describe. You have so many more cruises with transfers under your belt so I'll bet you've seen it all! :D

Sarah,

Like many others I've been following this tale since you first posted. Since I had nothing to say to help you I've kept quite until now.

HIP HIP HURRAY, your mom has her bag back!!!

How fortunate she is to have a daughter who worked so hard to track it down. JOB WELL DONE!!

Unfortunately there still are many, too many in my mind, reports of people stealing luggage. Ranges from baggage handlers stealing individual items from luggage to what I call the baggage claim thieves. I won't say we're paranoid but my wife and I are pretty focused on getting to baggage claim as quickly as we can. While I can't say we've encounted thieves we have had the occasional "oops....your bag looks just like mine" individual pulling our luggage. Never actually had anybody seriously try to walk off with a bag but being there and watching carefully makes us feel better. We too had noticed the drop off, maybe total elimination would be more accurate, of bag tag checkers at baggage claim areas over the years. I don't remember the last time I was asked to show my luggage claims but ten years seems a fair guess.

I've never heard of such a thing but this thread has certainly opened my eyes. That said, it always seems like quite the wait for luggage to come out in both Calgary and Toronto, the 2 airports I use most. Scary!

Unfortunately we've even had a few TSA personnel arrested for theft of or from passenger luggage.

Thank you so much for all the great responses!

We are still looking for my moms bag. My mom has told me she has been in touch with both Delta and Hollamd America. Holland America seemed suprised, but said they would try to sort this out & get back to her. The Delta customer service rep said they were still looking, but seemed to have little hope. I guess when tags get incorrectly placed on bags, it's unlikely that those bags ever get back to their rightful owners because there's no way to track them. Infact, I've read bags that go unclaimed are put up for auction and the bag along with its contents are sold for profit. Last year alone 24.1 million bags were either lost or mishandled (SITA research). I guess I don't understand why the lost baggage departments can't look to see if each unclaimed bag has identification and call the phone numbers. I know this would take a ton of time, but it would put the minds at ease of those who have had their bags lost.

Not only is the lost bag an issue, I wonder what happens to bags just left on carousel's that rotate forever. Do they get stolen? Does the contents also get riffled through and stolen? We can no longer lock our bags, so it's pretty much fair-game? Scary thoughts!

Anyway, we are now on our way out to DIA to see if anything has changed. My mom feels her bag may never be found. We are going in with pictures of the bag & more information in hopes it could help find it. We are pretty much up for trying anything at this point.

My suggestion to all future cruise guests - never ever do a transfer from Hollamd America to the airport, carry on ALL important things so you know where they are at all times, take photos of your bag & any of its contents, purchase luggage insurance if possible, make sure there's identification on your bag that can't be ripped off, and all the above advise.

I'm still holding out hope for her. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Thank you again!! The support & advise has been so helpful. Learning lots, needless to say.

Sarah

I had a similar experience. I took Luggage Express from San Diego. When I got to Chicago my suitcase never appeared. A green suitcase came off with a Charlotte address. I filed a report and called HAL and also spoke to the Manager at the pier. They use a third party handling service so the tags probably got mixed up. Nothing seemed to help find my luuggage that was clearly tagged with my name and address in several places. I had a unique luggage tag, a ladybug design, with phone number. Finally after getting nowhere in locating my bag I filed a claim. Three weeks into this ordeal I received a phone call from a lady in lost/found luggage in Charlotte. She looked at my name and phone number on the bag and called me. They shipped it out to my home that day. Moral, don't give up hope.

After a lengthy drive to DIA my mom and I got her missing luggage home safe and sound for the first time in 78 hours. We also were elated that all her personal items were left untouched, laying exactly the way she had pack the night before she left the ship.

Wonderful news! :)

With a TSA approved lock - we always lock our luggage.

Oftentimes we open it to find a letter stating they opened it and checked it. But we definitely lock our bags.

Where do you get a TSA approved lock? Do you buy them at the airports? I've never seen any, but am very interested in buying a few for my parents & my family. I had no idea we were allowed to lock out baggage again!! Yippee

When you said, TSA will sometimes leave you a note inside your bag, explaining they checked inside it, do they cut the lock off?

When I was a kid, I can remember my mom always locking our luggage. It gave me some piece of mind too, even though I was small. I can remember my blanket & a few stuffed animals would usually 'travel' with us & I was always very concerned someone might take them or they'd fall out of the bag...ah, to be a child again and worry about a blanket! But I was always really happen when I saw mom lock our bags. After 9/11 I believe TSA said no locked bags. But, it's great news to know one can safely lock your bags again, giving the traveler extra piece of mind!!!

Great news, thank you!

Where do you get a TSA approved lock? Do you buy them at the airports? I've never seen any, but am very interested in buying a few for my parents & my family. I had no idea we were allowed to lock out baggage again!! Yippee

When you said, TSA will sometimes leave you a note inside your bag, explaining they checked inside it, do they cut the lock off?

When I was a kid, I can remember my mom always locking our luggage. It gave me some piece of mind too, even though I was small. I can remember my blanket & a few stuffed animals would usually 'travel' with us & I was always very concerned someone might take them or they'd fall out of the bag...ah, to be a child again and worry about a blanket! But I was always really happen when I saw mom lock our bags. After 9/11 I believe TSA said no locked bags. But, it's great news to know one can safely lock your bags again, giving the traveler extra piece of mind!!!

Great news, thank you!

I know you didn't ask me but I got mine at the shopping channel in Canada. I would assume you could get them at a luggage type store. The TSA can open the locks as they will have a key for it and won't have to break your lock.

Edited by cruz chic

I had a similar experience. I took Luggage Express from San Diego. When I got to Chicago my suitcase never appeared. A green suitcase came off with a Charlotte address. I filed a report and called HAL and also spoke to the Manager at the pier. They use a third party handling service so the tags probably got mixed up. Nothing seemed to help find my luuggage that was clearly tagged with my name and address in several places. I had a unique luggage tag, a ladybug design, with phone number. Finally after getting nowhere in locating my bag I filed a claim. Three weeks into this ordeal I received a phone call from a lady in lost/found luggage in Charlotte. She looked at my name and phone number on the bag and called me. They shipped it out to my home that day. Moral, don't give up hope.

Hi! Yeah don't give up hope, that's the best advise.

When I was doing research on how a passenger might be able to find their own lost luggage, I read a blog of a traveler who had her bag 'misplaced' than after 21 days, it was considered 'lost.' However, after 3 years she received a phone call informing her that her bag had been found. Now, obviously you can assume everything you read has a great amount of truth to it, but if it really was her experience, than that's pretty amazing. I kept telling my mom that we were going to find her bag, even if I had to travel to the ends of the earth.

I know you didn't ask me but I got mine at the shopping channel in Canada. I would assume you could get them at a luggage type store. The TSA can open the locks as they will have a key for it and won't have to break your lock.

That's great information, thank you Cruz Chic!!

Unfortunately we've even had a few TSA personnel arrested for theft of or from passenger luggage.

That's really sad. What's wrong with some people? How can a person become that dishonest, especially when they are in a position of trust. I guess my morals aren't the views of everyone, but a post Luke that really makes me shake my head.

I'm happy to hear your mom's luggage has been located and that she will soon have it back.

Congratulations on making that happen.

Thank you for the information.

Thank you for your kind words.

Glad the info could come in handy.

You can get TSA approved locks just about anywhere you can buy luggage from Macy's to Target to WalMart to your local luggage store. They've been out for some 10 years give ir take so they're relatively available and not expensive.

I know I can't thank each and everyone who has responded not only with great advise, wonderful suggestion, but also with all the support. It's really helpful to know that there are people out there who are truly 'pulling for you' even though you've never met.

Who would have ever dreamed that a few days ago I was desperately searching for my moms baggage and trying to find every way I could get the word out via social media and blogs. Just by happenstance I ran into this blogging site. Turns out, I've interacted with some of the kindest people out there - perfect strangers, but all having one goal; hoping for the best for a girl in Colorado who they never met. Thank you again.

It's my turn now to 'pay it forward.'

Always,

Sarah

Yahoo! You got Mom's bag back. This has to be one of the best threads this year. Am sure it will be referred to many times in the future- in a good way.

OP- you can get the luggage locks at REI. They have some you can self-code (so the entire set matches- or doesn't.:cool: And they have a little green mark when no one has opened them. If the TSA key is used, the dot becomes a red dot. (And if they get cut off- well, you know someone's been messing with your luggage.). I've taken to putting these on my carry on as well. If I am traveling solo, and I need to visit the little room in flight, it gives me some peace of mind my carry on under the seat isn't easily being messed with.

OP- hope you stick around or at least drop in occasionally and chat cruising with us.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Yahoo! You got Mom's bag back. This has to be one of the best threads this year. Am sure it will be referred to many times in the future- in a good way.

OP- you can get the luggage locks at REI. They have some you can self-code (so the entire set matches- or doesn't.:cool: And they have a little green mark when no one has opened them. If the TSA key is used, the dot becomes a red dot. (And if they get cut off- well, you know someone's been messing with your luggage.). I've taken to putting these on my carry on as well. If I am traveling solo, and I need to visit the little room in flight, it gives me some peace of mind my carry on under the seat isn't easily being messed with.

OP- hope you stick around or at least drop in occasionally and chat cruising with us.

Looks like I'm heading to REI this weekend!!! Thank you for this helpful information!!

I'd love to stick around and weigh in on future cruising adventures!! I have only been on 2 cruises, so I don't have as much experience as you all ;)

Hi! KruzPrincess,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Last night I was online researching every airline there basically is in the world (starting with the major airlines most commonly known) & made a list. From there I contacted each airline on their home Facebook page by posting to their page. I also sent a private message to them with my mom's contact information, which included her phone number should they run across her bag. I added a picture of her lost bag for reference to each message. In those messages I asked each airline if they had a universal database that could take my missing luggage information & contact info and put it into that system (if they had it) so they could contact us should the bag come their way. Also while I was at DIA yesterday my mom and I stopped into the baggage department of each airline's there, asking the same database question. Assuming they had that system our information was put into it. Because this is such a bazar story and it's confusing that my mom flew on one airline and her bag another, we had no way of knowing exactly what airlines it could have flown on or to what destination. Airlines don't have a system (yet) that connects one to the other. So, I Went to each airline separately with my info & sistuation. I thought if every airline had that info in every state, it might be more likely to be found.

I can only describe this sistuation as handling my mom's luggage as if it was a person itself. All bags get tags & are tracked like we are when we fly and any bag at anytime could be tagged incorrectly along the way and take on a whole route alone.

JetBlue was one airline that did get in contact with me last night via FB. They took my moms information, picture of her suitecase I sent them & put it in their lost luggage database. Today, at the JFK airport in New York a JetBlue employee who works in the baggage department saw that information in their database and found a suite case matching my mom's information & description came in. He did some research and found that there was a tagging discrepancy with 4 bags that were there from the Holland America cruise line transfer service. He matched the contact info he found in that JetBlue database system with the contact info on one of the 4 bags there and found it matched up. He was also able to match the picture in the database to the suite case that was there. He than called my mom and told her he had found her bag. He mentioned her bag had come via Alaska Air prior to landing in New York. He told my mom he would put her luggage on a flight from JFK to DIA tonight. We will be heading out to the airport personally to retrieve it shortly.

We used a transfer service for luggage that was offered by Holland America. We have used this in the past with no problems at all. This morning my mom touched base again with Holland America about the progress in finding her bag. She was also given a number to the 3rd party tagging company the cruise ship used, so she could fill them in on the sistuation as well. They informed my mom that during the tagging process their computer printing system had a glitch and the printed tags got out of order creating incorrect tagging on some of the luggage. And yes, you are correct, my mom was given a tag from the ship the night before she put her bags out for the transfer, to place on her own bag with all the correct contact info, the airline the bag was to be put on & what city it was to be flown too. That tag was correct. When the 3rd party transfer service had the printing glitch a different tag was placed onto her bag. I guess if a transfer is used 2 tags are put on each piece of luggage. Her original correct tag & the incorrect tag. Because the incorrect tag was put on the top of the two tags, the airlines used the one most visible. The tag that was placed on her bag was for a bag that was to be flown on anther airlines to CA.

We decided to use this transfer service because we had our final excursion the day we were going to fly home. We didn't want to deal with our luggage the entire day and thought it would be easier to use this option.

Don't get me wrong this is a really bazar story & im sure it is pretty unlikely to happen, but it did happen to her. The chances are there I suppose if multi people are involved in getting your luggage home. Anything is possible. I'm just very happy it didn't go out of the country, as that would have been a puzzle that may have not been solved.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. The service you used is called Luggage Direct. I looked at my HAL bill and that's what they called it. I'm sorry you and your Mom had to go through so much. I probably wouldn't have been as diligent as you and it's a good story to share so others (me included) would have an idea of where to start. Congrats on being successful!