No More First Lunch Aboard at an MDR?

Smokeyham

I don't see the big deal of eating lunch in the MDR the first day. It is just like a port day - it should not be open. We board early afternoon after we have had lunch at our hotel's restaurant. Hate crowds and like to just walk on board after the rush is gone. I feel sorry for the poor crew - give some of them one meal that they don't have to work so hard.

I honestly think some people just don't want to shell out the money for lunch. I know they say that day is the first day of their cruise and they paid for lunch so they want to eat it on the ship.

Just my opinion.

For me it is about how the cruise experience begins. I enjoy the quieter and more elegant atmosphere of the dining room and it is a nice way to start the cruise.

I have never had an issue getting lunch in the MDR.

That said, lots of food service staff are reassigned to assist in embarkation activities. I assume, the fear is those remaining in food service get swarmed and now the new passengers first dining room experience, is out of control chaos.

Edited by MTJSR

I'm not taking time to read entire thread so apologies if I'm repeating b am on Crown right now; ate MDR after early embarking. There was a BVE going on as well as an annual luncheon Princess hosts for a seafarers helping organization in Seattle. I'm pretty sure they had those both in a separate MDR as saw no BVE stickers where we were.

Have been told in past that MDR lunch was only for turn around pax and elite/suite (or something like that). I told girl at door what website said, what our precruise emails & paperwork said (likely had a copy of it with me too!). She said one moment & went to ask. We were seated for lunch!!

Heading to happy hour!!

For me it is about how the cruise experience begins. I enjoy the quieter and more elegant atmosphere of the dining room and it is a nice way to start the cruise.

And has some of the best lunch foods - the avocado/shrimp appetizer, the best salmon of the cruise and the soufflé. ;)

I don't see the big deal of eating lunch in the MDR the first day. It is just like a port day - it should not be open. We board early afternoon after we have had lunch at our hotel's restaurant. Hate crowds and like to just walk on board after the rush is gone. I feel sorry for the poor crew - give some of them one meal that they don't have to work so hard.

I honestly think some people just don't want to shell out the money for lunch. I know they say that day is the first day of their cruise and they paid for lunch so they want to eat it on the ship.

Just my opinion.

Nothing to do at all with getting a free lunch. I could just as easily have something at home. Even easier judging by how difficult people in thread say the crew makes it to get on the ship. I just like eating in the dining room on the boat, it's a fun experience.

The Princess website clearly states that you can enjoy lunch in the dining room on embarkation day. I do bring a copy of that info from the website in case someone tries to discourage me from having lunch there. I would not get angry or insist on my "right" to eat there and actually I've never had too. I like lunch there because it is so much quieter and a more pleasant experience in general than the buffet on embarkation day.

We've had embarkation day lunch in the MDR for 7, 10, 12. 14. & 15 day cruises. It's one of our favorite dining room meals. Some yummies make their only (in my experience) menu appearance on first sail day - avocado/shrimp salad and banana ice cream. Also love the tenderloin with veggies. I know I can order them 24 hrs. in advance during the cruise, but they are embarkation day specials for me. Happy cruising.

I don't see the big deal of eating lunch in the MDR the first day...

To avoid the mob scene in the HC! I have always boarded too late for the MDR lunch, but have instead grabbed pizza or a burger out by the pool to avoid the HC lines. I am hoping to get to the MDR in time for lunch on my upcoming coastal on the Ruby.

In case you are turned away at the main dining room, you might want to print a copy of the screenshot from Princess' website to show them. They make quite a point of saying that the MDR is available!

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/dining_nightlife.jsp

In case the URL changes, this is in the FAQs under dining and nightlife, and then under "1st day dining." They say

"Shortly after we welcome you onboard your spectacular Princess ship, you're invited to relax and dine at the Horizon Court or in one of the ship’s multiple dining rooms.

Open from 5 am to 11 pm (12 am on select itineraries), the Horizon Court offers a wide selection of buffet meals or snacks. A primary feature of Princess ships, the top-of-the-ship restaurant features floor-to-ceiling windows with stunning sea views as a backdrop.

Or join us in one of our main dining rooms for lunch served up by a staff -- from chefs to waiters -- dedicated to making your dining experience something special.

Together, Princess' unique combination of gracious dining staff, fine continental cuisine and new friends make every meal onboard a memorable occasion."

There are several reasons why an MDR might not be available or restricted on embarkation day..

1> As noted, many of the dining staff are repurposed to luggage handling and steward assist, sometimes even some of the kitchen staff. If the ship has come off a code red or other issue reducing staff availability, this can be exacerbated. Additional staff are also deployed to the buffet.

2> Sometimes the MDRs are used for travel agent presentations, etc or a large BVE. In that event, what limited staff they have available may be committed.

3> This is also the time the kitchen senior staff may be supervising the loading of provisions, checking ingredients, etc. Until those are loaded and sorted, provisions may be limited as well.

4> If there was a noro situation on the previous cruise, even if not code red, enhanced cleaning procedures are in effect which limit galley capacity.

So basically, there are many factors that can reduce the capacity of the MDR to handle a rush of diners on embarkation day, thus the diversion to the buffet and other venues (which are more labor efficient). An MDR that could normally handle 750 for a sitting may only really be able to handle 250 at that time.

Personally, as much as I prefer it, I think Princess should abandon the embarkation MDR unless they can provide a more consistent experience, which may not be a practical proposition. Alternately, they could set up one MDR as a premium buffet, but their existing MDRs are not really configured for this, so they lose the efficiency (This is one thing Disney does quite well). Or make it a suite/elite perk (at least that would be consistent and take some of the sting out of recently lost perks) with the ability of the MD to 'invite' people if capacity permits which would also let them plan better.

Actually, the more I think about it, I can see an even better idea that most people will hate. Make it a suite perk, do it in Sabatinis and use the same wait staff that do suite breakfast so they can meet the passengers. Use the other specialty venue for the BVE and turnaround pax if needed.

I actually think this idea might help with Noro protocols, etc as well as it would give the kitchen some much needed cycle time with all MDRs closed for a meal.

How long ago did you have problems? I had the worst cruise experience EVER on the Star in 2002 (took me 6 years to try Princess again) & have booked for a 4 day in November, very apprehensively.

October 2014. We did a B2B. First cruise was a nightmare. The second was stunning.

If Princess doesn't want passengers to eat in the MDR on Embarkation day, then quit advertising it!! I know consistency is not Princess long suit but it shouldn't be that difficult.

As far as not spending money on lunch.....we travel 30 minutes from home. We eat in San Francisco very often. I want to start my vacation in a comfortable setting and enjoy one of my favorite meals in the MDR.

Cheers, Denise

We've had embarkation day lunch in the MDR for 7, 10, 12. 14. & 15 day cruises. It's one of our favorite dining room meals. Some yummies make their only (in my experience) menu appearance on first sail day - avocado/shrimp salad and banana ice cream. Also love the tenderloin with veggies. I know I can order them 24 hrs. in advance during the cruise, but they are embarkation day specials for me. Happy cruising.

Ooooh, banana ice cream! I love ice cream, and bananas, so this is a MUST TRY! THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!

We love starting off our cruise with a relaxing lunch in MDR. Just feels so right, sets the tone for the wonderful time ahead.

I agree there is a lot of inconsistency on the issue. We have met with mild diversion tactics, to downright insistence that no MDR is open for lunch.

In the last case it seemed that staff members were posted along the route to dissuade us from making our way there. At the door when we were directed to buffet again we stated that we always have started our Princess cruises with lunch there and they invited us in.

Inside there were three very relaxed wait staff in our section, no other passengers, and they couldn't have been nicer to us. After a short while a few other tables started to fill up, but not too many.

I can't understand why they even have wait staff available and yet try to turn people away?

There are several reasons why an MDR might not be available or restricted on embarkation day..

1> As noted, many of the dining staff are repurposed to luggage handling and steward assist, sometimes even some of the kitchen staff. If the ship has come off a code red or other issue reducing staff availability, this can be exacerbated. Additional staff are also deployed to the buffet.

2> Sometimes the MDRs are used for travel agent presentations, etc or a large BVE. In that event, what limited staff they have available may be committed.

3> This is also the time the kitchen senior staff may be supervising the loading of provisions, checking ingredients, etc. Until those are loaded and sorted, provisions may be limited as well.

4> If there was a noro situation on the previous cruise, even if not code red, enhanced cleaning procedures are in effect which limit galley capacity.

So basically, there are many factors that can reduce the capacity of the MDR to handle a rush of diners on embarkation day, thus the diversion to the buffet and other venues (which are more labor efficient). An MDR that could normally handle 750 for a sitting may only really be able to handle 250 at that time.

Personally, as much as I prefer it, I think Princess should abandon the embarkation MDR unless they can provide a more consistent experience, which may not be a practical proposition. Alternately, they could set up one MDR as a premium buffet, but their existing MDRs are not really configured for this, so they lose the efficiency (This is one thing Disney does quite well). Or make it a suite/elite perk (at least that would be consistent and take some of the sting out of recently lost perks) with the ability of the MD to 'invite' people if capacity permits which would also let them plan better.

Actually, the more I think about it, I can see an even better idea that most people will hate. Make it a suite perk, do it in Sabatinis and use the same wait staff that do suite breakfast so they can meet the passengers. Use the other specialty venue for the BVE and turnaround pax if needed.

I actually think this idea might help with Noro protocols, etc as well as it would give the kitchen some much needed cycle time with all MDRs closed for a meal.

Bah Humbug! :(

Bah Humbug! :(

No kidding! :(

When being denied was a more common, I brought the Princess invitation but was still denied lunch because it was for in-transit only. I filled out the form at the front desk & received a call from the maître d' who apologized for an uninformed crew member who would be taught the correct procedure.

Last time we did the dining room for lunch we were forced to sit at a large table and had to wait till the table was full. Left a bad taste in my mouth so we do not go to the dining room any longer when we board. Guess we leave more room for those who like to go. :)

We love starting off our cruise with a relaxing lunch in MDR. Just feels so right, sets the tone for the wonderful time ahead.

I agree there is a lot of inconsistency on the issue. We have met with mild diversion tactics, to downright insistence that no MDR is open for lunch.

In the last case it seemed that staff members were posted along the route to dissuade us from making our way there. At the door when we were directed to buffet again we stated that we always have started our Princess cruises with lunch there and they invited us in.

Inside there were three very relaxed wait staff in our section, no other passengers, and they couldn't have been nicer to us. After a short while a few other tables started to fill up, but not too many.

I can't understand why they even have wait staff available and yet try to turn people away?

Wow!! Having to run a gauntlet to get served lunch; and for something which they had staffed for! :(

Or join us in one of our main dining rooms for lunch served up by a staff -- from chefs to waiters -- dedicated to making your dining experience something special.

The cruise ship map they hand you at check-in also has a similar statement on it.

Yes, it does appear to be the best kept secret when the CD and even the MDR personnel do not know it is open and for any passenger.

So basically, there are many factors that can reduce the capacity of the MDR to handle a rush of diners on embarkation day, thus the diversion to the buffet and other venues (which are more labor efficient).

However, on every single cruise I have been on and (based on many comments on Cruise Critic) cruises others have been on if you ask any person from the front desk to stairway guides, the answer is always that the MDR is closed, go to the buffet.

And if a CD with years of experience on Princess does not know that the MDR is open on embarkation day for lunch, then the factors you list have nothing to do with it.

I used to think the staff was lying when they said the MDR is not open. I have come to believe they truly believe what they are telling passengers.

I once had to present a copy of the Princess press release about the MDR being open on embarkation day before someone at the MDR would allow us to enter.

The person at the door took our copy of the press release and showed it to someone else who gave permission for us to enter.