Sunday on Martinique

57redbird

I've looked at the threads for this but can't find anything current....does anybody have any info on what there is to do besides ship excursions since it sounds like everything is pretty much closed on Sunday there? TIA.

Hal seems to be there a lot on Sunday's. Every time I've been there it's been Sunday. Last time I was there (April 2015), there were quite a few vendors, but not much else was open. I'm not a big excursion person but I did one that was suggested by another member on the board. It was something to do with a distillery iirc :o. I'm a hard marker and I enjoyed it very much.

We were on Martinique on a Sunday and had a very nice day. We walked through the big park there, down through town to the farmers market, looked in the one shop that was open, and sat in the square across from the church And really enjoyed the music . It was hot, and we went into The library- from the worlds fair if I remember correctly. Not a busy day, but very pleasant.

We were on Martinique on a Sunday and had a very nice day. We walked through the big park there, down through town to the farmers market, looked in the one shop that was open, and sat in the square across from the church And really enjoyed the music . It was hot, and we went into The library- from the worlds fair if I remember correctly. Not a busy day, but very pleasant.

Last Sunday we were there, we were well advised to stay out of that park. We chose to listen and not look for trouble.

Was any particular reason given not to go into the park? Is Martinique one of those ports that it is recommended to stick with HAL tours only?

Drugs, drunks, and homeless........

After hearing that and truly having little interest in finding out if it was true or not, we avoided entering the park. I can't say if we would have enjoyed it or not but I didn't feel we were missing much by-passing it.

Edited by sail7seas

Last time we were there on a Sunday, a good number of people from our roll call took the ferry over to Pointe du Bout and had an excellent time. There are lots of things open on Sundays on the other side of the bay, catering to tourists.

Jardin de Balata is open on Sundays and is easily reached public bus. We had planned on bussing out after walking around downtown a bit, including the park, which was free of any potentially threatening individuals. Google Fort-de-France walking tour for maps and suggestions. We ended up taking to much time walking to go out to the gardens, a mistake we wouldn't make another time.

Edited by Fouremco