Does HAL do anything for celebrations?.

phabric

First time on HAL.

If you mention a celebration on Princess they put a sign on the door.

I have mentioned to my TA there is a birthday while on the cruise.

Does HAL do anything?

There is normally a birthday cake in the MDR and the waiters sing. It's always worth reminding the Asst Dining Room Mgr in advance ;)

You can also buy a celebration package if you are so inclined.

Several years ago we planned a cruise for DW's 60th birthday. The main purpose for picking the time and itinerary was to celebrate. Our PCC knew about it. Reserved a table at the Pinnacle for the occasion and made sure the Pinnacle manager knew about it when we boarded. Even reminded him the day of. Made sure the front desk knew, too. All while making excuses to DW so she didn't know what was going on. Not only was it the worst meal of the whole cruise but not one mention, cake or anything. I reminded the Pinnacle manager and the front desk the next day and all I got were blank stares. Back at the room after dinner I apologized to DW and explained what I thought I had arranged.

We don't even bother to tell them about special occasions anymore. Just wasted effort.

Wow! Thats terrible.:mad: I have found them, usually, to be pretty good about it. In fact, on the Volendam in the Far East, we took our DBIL to dinner in the Pinnacle for his birthday, and he had a cake there, but quietly. The next day in the dining room, he was brought another cake and sung to, as they had missed us the night before. So maybe we got yours by mistake!

My DBIL isn't a cake eater and we were able to get a banana cream pie for his birthday. It was the second best banana cream pie we've ever had. (We keep track of these things. ;) ) We made arrangements in advance with our TA and ship's services. We reminded the concierge upon boarding, and told our waiter and the assistant MDR. In short, we tried to cover all the bases. I know that you shouldn't have to work hard to make special occasion arrangements, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Several years ago we planned a cruise for DW's 60th birthday. The main purpose for picking the time and itinerary was to celebrate. Our PCC knew about it. Reserved a table at the Pinnacle for the occasion and made sure the Pinnacle manager knew about it when we boarded. Even reminded him the day of. Made sure the front desk knew, too. All while making excuses to DW so she didn't know what was going on. Not only was it the worst meal of the whole cruise but not one mention, cake or anything. I reminded the Pinnacle manager and the front desk the next day and all I got were blank stares. Back at the room after dinner I apologized to DW and explained what I thought I had arranged.

We don't even bother to tell them about special occasions anymore. Just wasted effort.

That happened to my DH a few years ago.

Since we were in a Neptune Suite, we had breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill. Every day the staff kept mentioning that DH would soon be having a birthday. On the actual date, we had made reservations for the Pinnacle. No cake arrived. No one even mentioned anything about his birthday.

Wow - my experience was quite the opposite. Stopped by the dining room manager's office on the Prinsedam a few days ahead of the DH's birthday and was able to order a special meal. It was all something that was served at some time so no 'special cooking'. He loves the mezze platter as an appetizer so ordered that, etc. Also asked for a 'really nice' chocolate cake - it was unbelievable, complete with raspberry filing between each of the 3 layers. Even after sharing with people sitting around us, our stewards got almost half a cake for themselves. We came into the dining room and there were balloons over the table, the waiter pretended to take the DH's order while winking at me and then made a big production as he presented each course which he brought with the cover in place. A full gravy boat for the mashed potatoes was a bit much! The crew sang the usually Happy Life song, then Happy Birthday in Bahasa and then English, complete with guitar accompaniment by our assistant steward. It was a truly amazing production.

It can vary somewhat but usually if they know it is your birthday, they will bring a small cake at dinner and sing an Indonesian Birthday Song.

Through many years and a great many cruises, we had some amazing celebrations aboard. :) Wonderful memories.

Keep in mind, so many people on the ship for any one cruise are celebrating something. It's either a birthday, anniversary, graduation, successful treatment of serious disease, new job, engagement and any number of other events. :) I had a few I was going to list but thought better of it. :D

Have a great cruise.

I've had a wonderful special birthday cake in the Pinnacle, as well as the usual cake and song in the MDR for my birthday.

In March, we were on the Maasdam with my in-laws for FIL's 83rd. The Indonesian song on board was taken up a notch for his birthday, with great harmonies, a drum and a guitar. That was the first time I'd seen quite that much of a production, and my FIL was duly impressed. The Maasdam crew rolled the same celebration out numerous times during the cruise, and it was great fun to watch.

9 days later was my DH's birthday, and he loves carrot cake. They managed to hunt up a big piece for his "cake"!

I did mention how much we enjoyed all this on the survey, too. A bit extra effort can make something we had become blasé about so much more enjoyable.

Edited by Nanner

We had the same Pinnacle experience 2 weeks ago on Noordam. Terrible service, blah food, practically had to beg for a glass of wine, no cake even though I told them it was his birthday. The whole miserable meal took 3 hours to get through so we also missed the show.

On a positive note, I preordered the birthday flowers and balloons and they were surprisingly lovely for the price. The balloons were next to the door when we boarded which also made it very easy to find our cabin, lol. Also got a preprinted Birthday card from the captain.

DW will be celebrating her something-something birthday when we cruise on the Zuiderdam in November. I have been under orders not to make any arrangements of public display celebration. Sucks the fun out of it, but its her birthday. I'd play it up if it was me.

We cruised with her family on the Carnival Destiny several years ago for her sister's birthday. They made a birthday cake for us and it was OK, but I can think of a couple bakeries back home that could make a better one. That might be why she doesn't want a cake. She might be thinking HAL desserts are more special than a cake.