Suggestions from experienced transatlantic cruisers

I will be on my first transatlantic cruise April 2016 with stops in Canary Islands, Spain, France and ending in Rome where we will stay an extra 2 or 3 days. I need help with packing suggestions, what type of clothes to take? How did you pack to account for weather and the length of the trip? I'm from South Florida so the 60's is cold for me. Thanks! :)

I have been on one TA cruise...we sailed on April 19.

I did not pack well for the cruise at all. Having only been on warm weather cruises previously, I didn't have in my head how cool/cold it could actually be. There were days when the high temperature was in the 60s and people were using the pool towels like blankets...with literally 4-6 towels per person...and many of us looked like cocoons on deck chairs.

The captain was from Norway and he said that they called the current weather "Summer." LOL.

My mistakes were to pack too summery. I definitely could have had more transition season clothing...more layers. I really wish that I had had more layers. I noticed that many ladies wore pants to the dining room...even if there top was lighter weight...and they would have a second layer on.

There were many Europeans on board our TA. I felt like the overall vibe of fashion on the ship in the evenings was "going out" clothes. Nicer than normal...not work-like...kind of a party out on the town kind of vibe. Formal nights were probably the most formal of any cruise that I've been on.

The ship was exceedingly casual during the day though...comfort seemed to rule.

I am so glad you posted this as I am going on a TA next May ending with four days in London & I am at a loss of what to pack . I am going to take layers for London & I have the cruise evenings figured out but it is the day to day wear that has me puzzled.

Layer....layer....and layer!!! Be prepared to put on clothes and take off clothes. We have done a few TA's in May...and the weather has been very mixed. Crossings can be warm or cool. We were in Scotland in May and in one day had sun, rain, sleet and snow. And the next day warm with no need for a jacket. We always check the weather online....but....really...smart packing is the way to handle it. Take long and short sleeve shirts and layer with a jacket that works for rain, and a scarf if it's needed. Make sure your shoes are waterproof and comfy...and take socks.....you may or may not need them but, have at least one pair with you. And don't stress.....the worst thing that could happen is you have to buy something you may need. Every ship and port has sweatshirts and scarfs.

I have been on one TA cruise...we sailed on April 19.

I did not pack well for the cruise at all. Having only been on warm weather cruises previously, I didn't have in my head how cool/cold it could actually be. There were days when the high temperature was in the 60s and people were using the pool towels like blankets...with literally 4-6 towels per person...and many of us looked like cocoons on deck chairs.

The captain was from Norway and he said that they called the current weather "Summer." LOL.

My mistakes were to pack too summery. I definitely could have had more transition season clothing...more layers. I really wish that I had had more layers. I noticed that many ladies wore pants to the dining room...even if there top was lighter weight...and they would have a second layer on.

There were many Europeans on board our TA. I felt like the overall vibe of fashion on the ship in the evenings was "going out" clothes. Nicer than normal...not work-like...kind of a party out on the town kind of vibe. Formal nights were probably the most formal of any cruise that I've been on.

The ship was exceedingly casual during the day though...comfort seemed to rule.

Thanks Anita! Exactly what I was wondering, how cold would it be on those sea days and then at the ports in the 60's that's cold- at least for me. I just have to figure out how to take what I need without 2 huge suitcases.

Layer....layer....and layer!!! Be prepared to put on clothes and take off clothes. We have done a few TA's in May...and the weather has been very mixed. Crossings can be warm or cool. We were in Scotland in May and in one day had sun, rain, sleet and snow. And the next day warm with no need for a jacket. We always check the weather online....but....really...smart packing is the way to handle it. Take long and short sleeve shirts and layer with a jacket that works for rain, and a scarf if it's needed. Make sure your shoes are waterproof and comfy...and take socks.....you may or may not need them but, have at least one pair with you. And don't stress.....the worst thing that could happen is you have to buy something you may need. Every ship and port has sweatshirts and scarfs.

Thanks! I had to layer for my cruise to Alaska this past May, my first non- Caribbean cruise and I found it difficult to layer and not take half of my closet!

No experience with transatlantic, but I do live in Iowa, where the weather can be >ahem< variable...

Trick to layering is to start at the base. 2 or 3 camis or tanks under your shirt will help keep your core warm. I also use long sleeve "layering shirts". They are thin shirts that go under your top...one or two of them makes almost any long sleeve shirt nice and warm.

Same with your legs, look for a pair of thin leggings (cuddle duds is one brand) and put them under your pants. If you keep your legs warm you would be surprised how much it will help.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Edited by Anthomaniac

Same with your legs, look for a pair of thin leggings (cuddle duds is one brand) and put them under your pants. If you keep your legs warm you would be surprised how much it will help.

I get the layering thing, but leggings under pants? I reserve that for the dead of winter when the temp is -5F. Haha!

I get the layering thing, but leggings under pants? I reserve that for the dead of winter when the temp is -5F. Haha!

I wear dress pants for work, they are usually much thinner than jeans, so I wear thin cuddle duds legging underneath. (Also lots of folks are from warm climates who think that 60 is cold weather! I'm still wearing shorts when its 60)

I wear dress pants for work, they are usually much thinner than jeans, so I wear thin cuddle duds legging underneath. (Also lots of folks are from warm climates who think that 60 is cold weather! I'm still wearing shorts when its 60)

Yes, that would be me! 60 = cold

Thanks,

This kind of layering is a bit extreme for the TA cruise...

When I was talking layers...I meant more like hoodies, cardigans, jackets...something to put on over a tank, short sleeve, or even a long sleeve (especially for the potentially uneven temperature in the theater when you are sitting and they keep it cooler for the performers.).

I would pack scarves...sometimes, that little bit extra helps a lot. And if the scarf is big enough to cover shoulders and be a bit more (like a pashmina), that can be a welcome addition.

If you are truly concerned about the cool...I would bring tights to wear with skirts. But I don't think you need leggings under pants.

Planning for some socks and shoes (covered feet) would not be a bad idea though. I wore a lot of exercise clothing during the days (I was doing physical therapy every other day) and so I had socks and shoes most days for a while...and that was very comfortable for me. Very welcome to have my feet covered.

And just as an example...I had capri length exercise pants, a significant bra, a tank top, and then a hoodie was a happy layer for the indoors and especially the outdoors. And the socks and shoes made for happier feet.

Temperatures will vary though...while it was 60s in the middle of the Atlantic...it was much warmer in Malaga. Barcelona was slightly cooler. I still find myself cold in the Atlanta area in late fall/winter (lived in Houston for over 6 years and Texas for about 8)...but a knee length skort and short sleeves with socks/shoes was very comfortable for my in the Malaga sunshine and warmth.

The best advice is to be prepared. I think there are several examples of a mix and match type capsule wardrobe for uncertain weather on the Vivienne Files. I had shied away from cool weather clothing in my packing, but I wished that I had had more for the TA.

When I was talking layers...I meant more like hoodies, cardigans, jackets...something to put on over a tank, short sleeve, or even a long sleeve (especially for the potentially uneven temperature in the theater when you are sitting and they keep it cooler for the performers.).

I would pack scarves...sometimes, that little bit extra helps a lot. And if the scarf is big enough to cover shoulders and be a bit more (like a pashmina), that can be a welcome addition.

If you are truly concerned about the cool...I would bring tights to wear with skirts. But I don't think you need leggings under pants.

Planning for some socks and shoes (covered feet) would not be a bad idea though. I wore a lot of exercise clothing during the days (I was doing physical therapy every other day) and so I had socks and shoes most days for a while...and that was very comfortable for me. Very welcome to have my feet covered.

And just as an example...I had capri length exercise pants, a significant bra, a tank top, and then a hoodie was a happy layer for the indoors and especially the outdoors. And the socks and shoes made for happier feet.

Temperatures will vary though...while it was 60s in the middle of the Atlantic...it was much warmer in Malaga. Barcelona was slightly cooler. I still find myself cold in the Atlanta area in late fall/winter (lived in Houston for over 6 years and Texas for about 8)...but a knee length skort and short sleeves with socks/shoes was very comfortable for my in the Malaga sunshine and warmth.

The best advice is to be prepared. I think there are several examples of a mix and match type capsule wardrobe for uncertain weather on the Vivienne Files. I had shied away from cool weather clothing in my packing, but I wished that I had had more for the TA.

Anita, thanks for the helpful suggestions. Tights with skirts sounds good, especially since I don't get much of a chance to wear them in S Florida and I love that look. I must ask you - what are the Vivienne files?

Edited by bothluv2cruise
Typo

I think I will follow Anita's advice and pack workout gear for my days at sea . They are easy to pack and versatile for sea days . Plus that will motivate me to keep up my fitness . For London I am planning on fall weather clothes . Pants , a long sleeved t shirt & a light rain jacket .I just need to figure out the port days in Portugal , Spain & France . For evenings I have JJill travel clothes, plus a few sundresses that can be blinged up . I may also pack one dressier dress for formal night .

Very helpful as I am currently planning outfits for the TA portion of my upcoming Prinsendam cruise-thanks!

Did a TA last November. It wasn't so much cold as windy. I'd recommend a light wind breaker if you have one as spring is typically inclined to be windy also. I'd also recommend shoes with heels that are larger in diameter if you've got them. Balancing on tiny stiletto heels while the ship rocks is quite a trick to master. Have fun!

Did the TA thang in 2013 on the Celebrity Constellation. I ended up sending out some laundry and hand washing quite a bit. The 3 people in my group each had a larger carry-on and we shared a medium size checked suitcase. We are all large people and our clothes take up more room. Average or smaller people should be fine with that much room or less. Make sure that everything coordinates with everything else, and be creative. For instance, my long black maxi dress could be worn plain, with a jacket over it, a sweater over it, or even a belted blouse over it, and that is 4 outfits.

I follow the rule of never packing for more than 6 days, no matter how long you're going for. The one exception was formal wear. We had 3 formal nights. I brought 2 formal outfits, so one did double duty with vastly different accessories (a black cocktail dress done Audrey Hepburn style with pearls and a white flower one night and done more rock and roll with metal jewelry another night). Most of my outfits were designed to be wrinkle free--even my formal dresses could be wadded up. My husband brought a suit jacket, two shirts and 2 or 3 ties and mixed and matched. I found that the TA crowd was a bit on the more formal side at night, so I was glad I had something appropriate packed.

I remember being glad that we all had rain coats and layers for Europe, as it was rainy and cold. I wished I had a true waterproof jacket, as my stylish "water resistant" coat didn't quite hold up. We also had hats and scarves. Good walking shoes or sneakers, not flip flops, were definitely required. I had one pair of formal shoes, one pair of sandals or flip flops for the pool, etc., the sneakers, and I think that was it, shoe-wise. The men had dress shoes, sneakers and flip flops.

During the days at sea, I mostly either wore my black stretchy pants and a shirt or a day dress.

I went through the same realizations that my bright floral prints etc. would look out of place on a TA cruise and had to tweak my wardrobe choices before I left. I was glad I did.

We've done a couple of TAs. The first was early in April, and the weather was COLD. It was snowing in Paris when we were in La Rochelle. There were all kinds of women on shore excursions shivering in their cotton capri pants and 3/4 length sleeve tops. No jackets, no long pants, no closed toed shoes.

Our last TA was a bit later in April and it was beautiful until we hit the Bay of Biscay, when the temperatures dropped and as Anita Latte described, there were people huddled on decks.

It's been our experience on Celebrity that they will put out lap robes (wool blankets) in place of towels on deck when it's cold enough ... so no need to pack anything like that ;)

As everyone else has mentioned, bring layers. Carry a WINDPROOF jacket (preferably long enough to cover your hips) and make sure it's big enough that you can layer sweaters or hoodies underneath. Carry long-sleeved shirts, pants or heavier ponte tights/leggings. Bring shoes where your toes will be warm, and decent socks. If you wear dresses in the evening, bring hose or tights to keep you warm on cool evenings. Bring a wrap that could can wear day and night, as an accessory, or for warmth.

If you carry nothing else for cold weather, carry gloves and a big scarf. Most of us can handle some cold weather if our fingers and head are warm. And a big scarf can be wrapped around your head, neck, and shoulders.

• 1 month later...

I'll be cruising from Cape Town, SA to Rio the first two weeks of December. I'm puzzled about what the outdoor temps and wind might be like during the crossing, since it will be summertime there. I've planned lots of shorts and camp shirts with a light jacket, but am wondering if I will need warmer clothes for outdoors on the ship.. Any suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

We did TA + northern Med to Venice (26 days!) in April on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam. No self-service laundry! I took EZ-wash sheets pre-cut in fourths, and did quite a bit of hand laundry. It wasn't that onerous.

I chose to ignore advice to dress in neutrals "because the Europeans do". I am not European, and I look like a manila envelope in neutrals! I took the clothes and colors I wear at home, carefully selected of course. (Note: I live in SoCal in pretty much a Mediterranean climate, so YMMV.) I did buy some quick-dry tee-tops especially for the trip; they were great!

I have comprehensive packing lists for both self and DH, if you want to see them I'm at my screenname "at" that yodel sound "dot" com.

Oh did I mention, we had only carry-on suitcases and daypacks (one each apiece)? :eek:

I'll try to insert a Pinterest collage or two right here, of my wardrobe.

3b2b0924f60afb32f3e469a76b848c16.jpg.ebdcff89c91bee03fd3777249ec722ec.jpg

bf3fc1ff160250d774d2ea909c405cb7.jpg.db2945e9c3333bacad806b6b47bebe15.jpg

We did TA + northern Med to Venice (26 days!) in April on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam. No self-service laundry! I took EZ-wash sheets pre-cut in fourths, and did quite a bit of hand laundry. It wasn't that onerous.

I chose to ignore advice to dress in neutrals "because the Europeans do". I am not European, and I look like a manila envelope in neutrals! I took the clothes and colors I wear at home, carefully selected of course. (Note: I live in SoCal in pretty much a Mediterranean climate, so YMMV.) I did buy some quick-dry tee-tops especially for the trip; they were great!

I have comprehensive packing lists for both self and DH, if you want to see them I'm at my screenname "at" that yodel sound "dot" com.

Oh did I mention, we had only carry-on suitcases and daypacks (one each apiece)? :eek:

I'll try to insert a Pinterest collage or two right here, of my wardrobe.

I agree with you I dress as I feel looks best on me.

I hand wash most things as well but much of my clothing I take on cruises are performance fabrics that wick moisture and dry fast. I have found read that many of those fabrics the manufactures recommend not using fabric softeners. The claim is that the softeners clog the pores of the fabric reducing there wicking ability and trap odors. Many of the labels of on my clothes specifically say not to use softeners too.

Shak

Shak,

You are right about the fabric softener and (at least) CoolMax -- however, I believe the softener in the EZ-wash sheets is not released without/until the heat of the dryer. At least I never noticed reduced performance!

OP and anyone else can take any washing agent they saw fit to carry. Combination of carry-on only and our occasional use of a travel trailer (where lighter weight of EVERYTHING is vital) was behind my trying the EZ-wash.

Also note, if your ship DOES have a self-serve laundry, it will also either include the soap (Zaandam had it built in to the washer) or will have the required-by-them packets in a machine to purchase (as I saw pictured for Princess ship).

Here's to packing clothes you look good in! Gonna be a lot of photos taken!

• 4 weeks later...

Starlake,

Yes, I think I would. After all, the cruiseships follow the weather!

If you look at my Pinterest thumbnails, the toppers and the trousers represent three different weights (the "blazer" in the travel-clothes pic on left actually represents a heavy ramie-type cardigan, the teal one is thinner but warmer merino wool, and the black a thin polyester or maybe rayon; the teal pants are the thinnest, the coral in-between, and the black, heavier "Ottoman knit" from TravelSmith); the long sleeved shirts are in general a little heavier than the tees and the one tank.

So I was covered for a range of temperatures and weather.

I've tweaked this packing list subsequent to our April crossing -- the coral skirt, for example, wrinkled horribly -- so I bought a two-layer broomstick skirt that the wrinkles are intentional! It wasn't sold as reversible, but all the seams are finished to the inner side, so as long as the shirt covers the waistband (which is my habit anyway) the turquoise lining can be worn on the outside. It is my new favorite.

I also intend to hand some things that I did hand wash (like trousers and a couple of shirts that took too long to dry) over to the ship's laundry FOR DRY-CLEANING next time. I don't trust the wash-and-dry (which credible sources say is always hot-hot), so I washed EVERYTHING that needed it. It only recently occurred to me to dry-clean. The rates aren't even that much more than our city dry-cleaners.

815857964_newskirt.jpg.6bf2ce3a7b9aa5b4232f3bae1c00cad6.jpg