Who is HAL for?

NOSaints1

I've heard HAL is for seniors, but we're in our mid 30s and just wondering who Holland has to offer people in our age group and what kind of activities they offer?

What the ships are like, food, entertainment and what is Half Moon Cay like? If there is anyone in our age range that has sailed HAL if you could comment on your experience that would be great.

Our son and daughter-in-law have been on 2 HAL cruises (they are 33 and 32 years old), as well as 2 Carnival cruises. They both agree that HAL is a much nicer cruise line; the crew are more attentive, the passengers have a better attitude, and the next time they book a cruise, it certainly will be with HAL. Right now they are adjusting to their 4.5 month old son, so it will be a little while until they have a chance to cruise.

I just spoke with my son on Skype and asked him what it was about Holland America that he liked and he said "the fact that many of the passengers were older, they treated us with respect, rather than just kids" was one of the reasons, and also that the crew treated them as if they were in a suite, even though they were in an inside cabin. They said they were made to feel "like a million bucks". I'm not surprised at either; I guess that's why some of their friends on Facebook are in their 80's!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Edited by ger_77

I've heard HAL is for seniors, but we're in our mid 30s and just wondering who Holland has to offer people in our age group and what kind of activities they offer?

What the ships are like, food, entertainment and what is Half Moon Cay like? If there is anyone in our age range that has sailed HAL if you could comment on your experience that would be great.

There are a lot of activities - to not overlook any of them you might want to google it in addition to the feedback you may get here.

If it's not going to be your one and only cruise, certainly give HAL a try, so at the very least you'll have a basis for comparison. Even if it will be your only cruise, seriously consider HAL.

-

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse

There will be seniors on all cruise lines. Yes, I think HAL will have more seniors than some other cruise lines. A lot depends on the length of the itinerary, too. The longer the cruise the older the demographic. I was just on a 14 day Alaska cruise and there were a lot of seniors, but there were some younger people and some families, too. A lot depends on when you choose your cruise. During school vacation times or breaks you'll find more younger people.

I will try to be very honest. If you are taking a short cruise (such as a 7 day Caribbean trip) then HAL is fine. However, HAL does lack a lot of the activities and late night entertainment found on other lines. But, if you are considering a longer cruise then HAL is not a line for folks your age. On one of our long Prinsendam cruises the youngest person on the ship was a 20 some year old lady....and she was the companion of her Grandmother who was still one of the younger passengers :).

If we were to recommend a cruise line for folks in their 30s, HAL would be very low on our list. Our higher recommendations would include Celebrity, Princess or RCI!

I would say it depends on what you are looking for in a cruise vacation. We only cruised HAL and NCL ( and as of today booked with MSC) but prefer HAL if it's just my wife and I as we don't want a party ship. We don't get a lot of time off and when we do, we want something somewhat refined and quiet where we can really relax and enjoy time with one another; however, when bringing or son and nieces, we've chosen NCL for more activities. We will be on our 7th HAL cruise next month...we started cruising 7 years ago when we were both 30. Your not necessarily too young for HAL.

Regarding food - HAL has more than enough choices to keep us happy. We enjoy trying all each outlet at least one per cruise including at least two nights at the Pinnacle (for the regular menu and the Le Cirque night).

Half Moon is beautiful, much nicer than NCL's island.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by mrspeck

We started sailing HAL when we were 40 and 41 and our kids were 10 and 12. It was our very first cruise and we all enjoyed the excellent service and found plenty to do on that particular Caribbean cruise. However, now that we have sailed on both HAL and Royal Caribbean, here's my take on HAL.

HAL's cabins are much roomier, the crew is trained very well and offers outstanding service, and you can't beat that teak promenade deck for walking around at night and getting close to the ocean. We like HAL for port intensive itineraries since we have found very little to do on the sea days or in the evenings. HAL offers a quiet atmosphere for sea days with only a few lectures, a culinary class, or computer classes to attend. Personally, I don't need or want to sit in a class when I am on a cruise ship; and yes, I did go to a computer photo class and was bored to tears. I want fun and entertainment. That's where Royal Caribbean excels. Both daytime and nighttime entertainment options are limitless and we are never bored on their ships.

So if you want a quiet, relaxing cruise where you are going to sit at the pool or on your balcony and read and attend bingo or a port lecture, then choose HAL. If you decide upon a port intensive cruise, then choose HAL. You will love the service and atmosphere.

Came back from being on the Zuiderdam in August. Age group mixed, but Officers said rest of year age group apart from summer and Christmas is 60+. Entertainment was poor, but food in MDR was amazing.

Edited by gundlach
Mispelled

My 1st HAL cruise was for my 30th birthday and I am still cruising HAL. Have tried several other lines but the fabulous crew always and itineraries has me coming back to HAL. Love the smaller ships, the elegance, 'being treated like a millionaire', the fantastic crew, good and varied food, interesting passengers, activities like lecturers, games, etc. Am a laid back person who used to love the relaxation when I was working and now love the adventures as can take longer cruises. It is correct that the longer the cruise, the more senior the people as how many 40 year olds can take 45 days off and HAL does offer many longer cruises. Okay, the entertainment is not fantastic but occasionally excellent. Past surveys have shown the age range for Celebrity, Princess and HAL is about the same for shorter cruises. If you are not super party people, a cruise is often what you make it, so pick your itinerary and have a great cruise.

Let us know what you decide.

I'd say HAL is for anyone that is pretty chill, and not a party animal lol. We are in our mid 40's and have two teenage boys and they love it too, but then we are all laid back and not looking for noise and excitement on a cruise, as much as the ocean, relaxation, classic cruise pursuits like bingo and trivia etc.

We also quite enjoyed the shows, comedians, and especially the piano bar. But it is obviously not for people that like hairy chest contests, bumper cars, and rock climbing!

We have also been on Princess, Royal, and Disney and not only my husband and I, but surprisingly both of my sons too, given a choice want to always go back on HAL. They like the kind of more sophisticated atmosphere and they prefer the friends they meet there above all others.

We've gone on 3 Carnival cruises and going on one RC cruise, were more into relaxing, going for dinner. shows. We sailed on the Valor in Nov out of San Juan, the ship was gorgeous, layout not so much, my DW said there wasn't enough dining options.

I will try to be very honest. If you are taking a short cruise (such as a 7 day Caribbean trip) then HAL is fine. However, HAL does lack a lot of the activities and late night entertainment found on other lines. But, if you are considering a longer cruise then HAL is not a line for folks your age. On one of our long Prinsendam cruises the youngest person on the ship was a 20 some year old lady....and she was the companion of her Grandmother who was still one of the younger passengers :).

If we were to recommend a cruise line for folks in their 30s, HAL would be very low on our list. Our higher recommendations would include Celebrity, Princess or RCI!

I am 33. My wife is 33.

HAL is by far our favorite cruise line and IS "for us." You cannot make blanket statements like this and still be remotely accurate.

We want ships, we want peace, we want relaxation. HAL provides these in spades over most all mainstream lines.

Do they have like a serenity area, we don't like a lot of kids running around, while we're on vacation, a few is ok but not like going on a DCL. What ship is your favourite/ and destination of choice. Sorry I have to say this Go Jays Go! Sorry best of luck to your Red Sox

I am 33. My wife is 33.

HAL is by far our favorite cruise line and IS "for us." You cannot make blanket statements like this and still be remotely accurate.

We want ships, we want peace, we want relaxation. HAL provides these in spades over most all mainstream lines.

I agree with this 100%. It really depends on what you are looking for in a cruise. If you want constant action and partying, HAL is not for you IMO. If you like a quieter, more refined (but not "stuffy") cruise, you should give HAL a try.

Do they have like a serenity area, we don't like a lot of kids running around, while we're on vacation, a few is ok but not like going on a DCL. What ship is your favourite/ and destination of choice. Sorry I have to say this Go Jays Go! Sorry best of luck to your Red Sox

No, there's really no space on a HAL ship that is a "serenity area". That said, while it varies from cruise to cruise depending on time of year, destination, length, and itinerary, HAL is not exactly a huge kid magnet line. We've been on several Caribbean cruises in the January to early March period without a single child and one Caribbean cruise in late March during the height of typical "spring break" period on the Oosterdam with well over 200 children.

Favorite destination? Hard to say. For the most part we've thoroughly enjoyed all of our cruise destinations. Our early cruises were all in the Caribbean and we tried to find itineraries that at least went to a few new and different islands and ports. We finally got to the point where we were pretty much in the "done that, been there". Four years ago we switched our destination focus to the Med and have visited some fantastic places in nearly 60 days of land and cruise travel. For our interests the Med is hard to beat and probably our general favorite. Next year we're back to the Caribbean, though not on HAL, to partially take a break from the very port intense Med itineraries and to visit a few small islands that HAL can't get into port at or that they visit infrequently.

No serenity area but, IMO, one is not needed. There are plenty of spots to go for peace and quiet. I've been on cruises with as few as one child and as many as 300 (over Christmas). The Christmas one was amazing because we only saw the kids at dinner and, sometimes, at the show in the evening. They were kept busy with Club HAL (kids club) and seemed to enjoy it very much. We were surprised to see how many there were on Christmas morning when we watched them get their gifts from Santa.

I've been cruising HAL since I was 42. I'm not into a party atmosphere and I like HAL. The entertainment sometimes leaves a little to be desired but there are a few options. And, at times, I want an early night or just to sit and read or work on a puzzle in the library. What I like most is the unique itineraries. I just wish I could do some slightly longer ones but I'm still working to pay for the cruises I do take!

Royal Caribbean advertises that it is "more than a cruise." So if you want more, go with RC. I just want a cruise so I go with HAL. We've been sailing with them since we were in our 30s. At that time we really enjoyed meeting and talking with the very experienced travelers we met on HAL. Now we are the experienced travelers and take our 30-something nephews on cruises and they feel much the same as we did when in our 30s.

You will find some people in your age range, activities is much less than RCCL, one of the main reasons we went back to RCCL is entertainment, Hal stops live music about 11:30 or possibly a little later, There ships have nothing like ice shows etc. Food is about the same as other major lines. Pinnacle there steak restaurant ( approx. 35 per person) is always great much better than RCCL Chops.

I don't want the ship to be the destination , prefer smaller than Oasis size ships, not into rock climbing, zip lining, and want the ports to be the destination. My DW does have anxiety so 6000 people wouldn't be good for her.

We're more into R&R

It sounds like HAL might be a good fit for you and your DW. HAL has ships with capacity of 1200 pax. The largest HAL ship (to date) is about 2200 pax.

Why don't you give HAL a try? Just try not to book around school holidays if you want to have fewer children around.

Earlier you asked about favourite destinations and ships. I've enjoyed all HAL ships that I've been on, and I've been on every class ship. I like the Tamarind restaurant (Pan Asian) which is currently only on two ships (Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam). But I look at the itinerary first and choose by that. My favourite destination is Alaska but I really enjoyed our cruises to the Baltic and South America, too.

Half-Moon Cay is a wonderful, relaxing private island, with the typical activities of most cruise lines' private islands (e.g. snorkelling, horseback riding, water park). It's worth noting that Carnival (which doesn't have the seniors-only reputation of HAL) uses the island as well, so there's something for every demographic there.

Just out of curiosity my DW is Dutch, do they have Dutch food or candys, or pastries

They have had some. It also depends on the itinerary. When we did our Med cruise, I saw herring (3 kinds) at the breakfast buffet. I haven't seen that on any other cruise. The MDR breakfast has a Dutch entree. We once had poffertjes on a ship (might have been that Christmas cruise) but they were awful; the ones we had at Keukenhof were much better.

They do sell, oh, gee, I can't think of the name of them. They're the two waffle cookies with syrup in between them. They're available at the Explorations Cafe in a small package of two or three.

Thought of the name - Stroopwaffles. I haven't purchased them onboard because I get more than enough food elsewhere!

Edited by Alberta Quilter