Who is HAL for?

NOSaints1

I've heard HAL is for seniors, but we're in our mid 30s and just wondering who Holland has to offer people in our age group and what kind of activities they offer?

What the ships are like, food, entertainment and what is Half Moon Cay like? If there is anyone in our age range that has sailed HAL if you could comment on your experience that would be great.

IMO it's strictly a question of setting your priorities to decide what you want out of a cruise and then determining which cruise line best fits your needs/wants. FWIW we have cruised on HAL as an (older) couple, in a small group of similarly aged relatives and friends, with our adult children, with our grandkids, with our grandkids and adult children, etc., etc. and quite literally have never felt that HAL "did not fit" us - better yet, all of our travel companions (including our grandkids) have enjoyed the HAL cruises to the point of joining us on repeat HAL cruises.

For balance, I need to point out that we have also enjoyed a couple of cruises on Disney (with our grandkids), albeit we thought they were somewhat over-priced and definitely over-hyped in terms of food quality. After 2 Disney cruises with our grandkids, we asked them if they wanted to do another Disney cruise the next year, and they surprised us by asking to go on a HAL cruise. We've done HAL cruises with them the past couple of years, and they have thoroughly enjoyed each one.

IMO HAL has something that woiuld appeal to virtually age group, but only you can decide if that "something" is to your liking.

Good luck and smooth sailing!!!

Edited by avian777

I've heard HAL is for seniors, but we're in our mid 30s and just wondering who Holland has to offer people in our age group and what kind of activities they offer?

What the ships are like, food, entertainment and what is Half Moon Cay like? If there is anyone in our age range that has sailed HAL if you could comment on your experience that would be great.

My husband and I have been cruising since 2006, as you can see from the post signature the majority of those are on HAL and we are currently 33 and 34 years old.

We have always had a wonderful time. We don't NEED waterslides and parties that go til 3am. SOmetimes those are fun too and as you can see we do have some non-HAL cruises and if we travel with a large group of friends it is pretty likely that we will be on CCL. It's just better for a huge group environment. But HAL has always treated us well.

One thing that is unique to HAL is that HAL has a Roman Catholic priest (who celebrates daily Mass) on board every one of its cruises - no other cruise line offers this opportunity. So if spiritual renewal is one of your vacation objectives, HAL is the hands-down choice. Whichever cruise line/ship you choose, I hope you enjoy the cruise!

Edited by avian777

My husband and I have been cruising since 2006, as you can see from the post signature the majority of those are on HAL and we are currently 33 and 34 years old.

We have always had a wonderful time. We don't NEED waterslides and parties that go til 3am. SOmetimes those are fun too and as you can see we do have some non-HAL cruises and if we travel with a large group of friends it is pretty likely that we will be on CCL. It's just better for a huge group environment. But HAL has always treated us well.

Wow - that is a lot of cruises since 2006! Good for you! I'm jealous.

Do they have like a serenity area, we don't like a lot of kids running around, while we're on vacation, a few is ok but not like going on a DCL. What ship is your favourite/ and destination of choice. Sorry I have to say this Go Jays Go! Sorry best of luck to your Red Sox

I'd say they do. It's called "the ship"

Roy

No, there's really no space on a HAL ship that is a "serenity area".

Have you been to the Explorer's Lounge? ;) Especially after late seating? It's about as serene and relaxed as you can get.

My wife and I are in our late 30's and early 40's and have only ever cruised on HAL. We have done from 7 day to 11 day cruises and are going on our 4th this fall. We enjoy HAL so much that we would never even consider going on Carnival or other larger cruise ships. We do like our peace and quiet and find HAL to be perfect for us. Yes there are more advanced ages on board but enjoy our time with them and find very few younger ages aboard.

It really depends on what life style you prefer. Quiet or party down. HAL is more of a quiet cruise line and excels at that type of cruises. Also most HAL ships carry far fewer passengers the the big cruise ships. HAL is building a larger ship today and it still won't even hold half the passengers of the big behemoths of the seas.

The biggest draw for us to HAL is the higher ports visited during a cruise. Yes it may only be adding Half Moon Cay but it is a place that most people enjoy. Carnival uses it as well as HAL since they own the island.

Cheers

Do they have like a serenity area, we don't like a lot of kids running around, while we're on vacation, a few is ok but not like going on a DCL. What ship is your favourite/ and destination of choice. Sorry I have to say this Go Jays Go! Sorry best of luck to your Red Sox

Sorry, just saw your post. As Roy said, the serenity area is the ship. :)

HAL ships have a LOT of nooks and crannies for quiet reading, sitting, whatever.

My destination of choice is the Norwegian fjords and our favorite HAL ship is Eurodam (closely followed by Westerdam). On our Norwegian cruise last September there were IIRC 20 kids. On our Canada/New England Eurodam cruise (also a fantastic itinerary) there were less than 8 kids.

Caribbean and Alaska will have many more during summer, but during the school year kids on HAL are no where near the other lines. Like you, we cherish this fact.

We started our cruising on our honeymoon back in 1978 on HAL. We tried others and enjoyed them but continued to come back to HAL for many reasons folks have posted already.

Last year we decided to try some of the other favorable lines and were pleasantly surprised. Both were the larger ships on NCL and RCI and we totally enjoyed them. There were differences between them and HAL but they all had their positives with few negatives. Would go on the Allure or Getaway in a heartbeat if they did more different ports.

We are scheduled to do a 10 day cruise to the southern Caribbean and next year will do an 11 day Caribbean in March on HAL and a 9 day up to New England on the Anthem.

Dan

Our son and daughter-in-law have been on 2 HAL cruises (they are 33 and 32 years old), as well as 2 Carnival cruises. They both agree that HAL is a much nicer cruise line; the crew are more attentive, the passengers have a better attitude…

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I Agree ! — I started to cruise at the age of forty.

Holacanada

Edited by holacanada

Classy not glitzy ships.

Excellent staterooms with all the amenities you would normally require.

Every member of the HAL staff, on every level, has for the most part been a step above any of our cruises with Celebrity and RCCL.

Not for the heavy drinking crowd or pool cannon ball contest lovers.

Wonderful food at all venues. About the same as Celebrity and better that RCCL.

Entertainment and shows about the same, good depending on one's likes and dislikes.

We have found there was always something to do if that was your desire and plenty of rest and relaxation if that's your thing.

Same excursions at ports of call if you wanted to be adventurous.

If it wasn't for sailing dates, itineraries and ports of embarkation we would have sailed about ten more cruise on HAL than the others over the past 14 years.

OMO

bosco

Do all staterooms come with a bathtub or am I mistaken

Inside cabins have a large shower only. Otherwise, cabins have a tub, unless you select a specific cabin that's shower only.

On some ships there are a few cabins in the outside & up categories that offer a shower only as a choice.

The Prinsendam is different with alternating showers/tubs in most categories.

One thing that is unique to HAL is that HAL has a Roman Catholic priest (who celebrates daily Mass) on board every one of its cruises - no other cruise line offers this opportunity. So if spiritual renewal is one of your vacation objectives, HAL is the hands-down choice. Whichever cruise line/ship you choose, I hope you enjoy the cruise!

This is definitely an interesting aspect of HAL. In fact, my mother and I had the pleasure of dining with the priest one evening on board Veendam this past May. I lovely, older Filipino gentleman who was such wonderful dinner company but his name escapes me as usually just "Father" was enough of an address haha. I am a fairly non-religious, gay male and felt completely comfortable with him at dinner; HAL really knows how to fill their ships with great, welcoming people.

Classy not glitzy ships.

Excellent staterooms with all the amenities you would normally require.

Every member of the HAL staff, on every level, has for the most part been a step above any of our cruises with Celebrity and RCCL.

Not for the heavy drinking crowd or pool cannon ball contest lovers.

Wonderful food at all venues. About the same as Celebrity and better that RCCL.

Entertainment and shows about the same, good depending on one's likes and dislikes.

We have found there was always something to do if that was your desire and plenty of rest and relaxation if that's your thing.

Same excursions at ports of call if you wanted to be adventurous.

If it wasn't for sailing dates, itineraries and ports of embarkation we would have sailed about ten more cruise on HAL than the others over the past 14 years.

OMO

bosco

I have to second this!! The HAL crew is some of the best of any line I've sailed [Princess was wonderful too]. I've never had a bad cruise but HAL and Princess truly go out of their way to spoil their passengers. The decor is classier than some other lines as well...beautiful china even for room service, fresh flowers everywhere, teak promenade deck, etc. The violinist and pianist in the Explorer's Lounge add even more to the ambiance. These things don't matter to everyone but for me it adds to the experience more so than poolside games, cold room service with an ugly presentation "for-a-fee", and loud DJs that I have seen on other lines.

I am only 32 and loved my HAL trip. My mother [a pretty young 62] came with me on the Veendam and loved it so much she is back on board this week with my father. I would have jumped at the chance to go with them on the Veendam again but DH and I are sailing QM2 is two weeks so could not finagle MORE time off work! [Cunard has a similar reputation of catering to an older crowd but I guess I just prefer that old-school elegance of these heritage lines more than hairy chest contests of the "young" lines].

And are the interior staterooms big enough compared to other lines in the same category across similar lines

HAL has some of the largest inside cabins in the industry, but I am talking about the "large" insides, not the "standard" insides.

The size of the usual cabin will vary from one class to another, but those on the S- & R-class ships are only slightly smaller than the usual outside cabins.

Most of the insides on the Vista & Signature class ships are somewhat smaller.

Now, within each class of ships (except the Prinsendam) there are a few "large" insides that are huge. They are considerably larger than the other insides, and even larger than the outsides.

Those are my usual choices. If you select a specific ship, and have questions about the insides, or the exceptional huge insides, I'll be happy to answer.