Glassblowing at Jewell Gardens in Skaway

jamminlion

So, who has plunked down the money to do the glass blowing experience at Jewell Gardens in Skagway? I'm talking the real deal, make your own piece tour, not just the tour of the place, and watch other people doing the glassblowing.

Looking for some insight. My husband loves this stuff. My kids have marveled at glassblowing before, and I think they would love to try it.

Is it truly worth $800 for us to do this?

My dad did this excursion on our trip this summer. He enjoyed the experience and still talks about it. For him, the chance to make a piece of glass to bring home as a souvenir was worth the price of the excursion. He did the excursion on his own, though, so I can't say if it would be worth the $800 for a family to do the whole excursion. I do know that he enjoyed the cruise so much that we are looking at doing another one next year taking my sister with us. She wants to do this excursion as well, since he has talked so positively about how much he enjoyed the experience.

My wife did this via Princess in 2010. She really enjoyed it...though I think it was priced somewhere in the $150-300 range. If I remember correctly, you get to help, but I don't think you do the blowing yourself. She did this on a Wednesday IIRC, and they had to let the piece cool overnight before they could put the top hook into it. Even so, the piece arrived by Tuesday in Texas...they're quick at shipping and it certainly arrived intact. It's displayed on our mantle year-round.

We took the shuttle and toured independently about 2 weeks ago. They really cater to tours and those that are paying to blow glass.

We were able to watch from outside the structure but the view was often obstructed by those participating. Walking around the grounds afterwards only took a few minutes but it was very pretty.

Overall, I guess it was worth the price of the shuttle but not any more IMHO.

Edited by LEtue

Did enough of that in chemistry classes years ago. Not worth $800, IMO

Your comment brings back memories. I was never any good at glassblowing. I even had problems with keeping the tubing open when I did 90 degree bends. Thank God that my degree was based on my knowledge of chemistry and not my glassblowing.

DON

• 1 month later...
We took the shuttle and toured independently about 2 weeks ago. They really cater to tours and those that are paying to blow glass.

We were able to watch from outside the structure but the view was often obstructed by those participating. Walking around the grounds afterwards only took a few minutes but it was very pretty.

Overall, I guess it was worth the price of the shuttle but not any more IMHO.

I think the shuttle is the best idea and will be doing the same.

I think the shuttle is the best idea and will be doing the same.

Hi Sean! How are you doing?

Afterwards there are some nice hikes that you can take from downtown. Enjoy your trip - I'm still working on 2016!

So, who has plunked down the money to do the glass blowing experience at Jewell Gardens in Skagway? I'm talking the real deal, make your own piece tour, not just the tour of the place, and watch other people doing the glassblowing.

Looking for some insight. My husband loves this stuff. My kids have marveled at glassblowing before, and I think they would love to try it.

Is it truly worth $800 for us to do this?

I forgot to mention that there is a third party site that you can book excursions through (starts with a V). Their price is $100pp so it may help you.

Just Google Jewell Gardens and they will come up :)

After touring the Waterford Crystal plant in Waterford, Ireland I do not think I would want to take an $800 tour just so I could make a vase. My entire tour of Ireland was not quit $2400 for the week and that included room and two meals a day.

Hi Sean! How are you doing?

Afterwards there are some nice hikes that you can take from downtown. Enjoy your trip - I'm still working on 2016!

Hi Linda!

Doing good here. Just hoping my friend Mike is well enough to go again.

He has MD, but has successfully taken two Alaska cruises so far. :) It is all new to him so it makes it fun for me.

I will never forget when we were on the dock and I was hurrying to board. Mike had stopped behind me and I wondered why. He had turned his chair and just stared in awe at the size and length of the ship. :)

Hi Linda!

Doing good here. Just hoping my friend Mike is well enough to go again.

He has MD, but has successfully taken two Alaska cruises so far. :) It is all new to him so it makes it fun for me.

I will never forget when we were on the dock and I was hurrying to board. Mike had stopped behind me and I wondered why. He had turned his chair and just stared in awe at the size and length of the ship. :)

Great story Sean! Hoping you have a great trip :)

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know how many people are allowed per excursion? We will be on holland America. Will there be tours from the other ships there at the same time? If my husband and I both go do we both get to make glass or only per group? Also, did your tour include lunch? If so, what was served?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If my husband and I both go do we both get to make glass or only per group?

I'd be absolutely surprised if it was anything other than 1 ticket -> 1 piece. If you pay for two tickets, why would expect anything less than two full experiences?