Danube Itinerary Questions

mhb1757

We are planning to do a Daube Cruise next fall. We will only have time for a 7-10 day cruise. There seems to be a plethora of variations on the somewhere to Budapest itinerary. Can anyone offer suggestions on their preferences? I would love to see Salzburg so a Linz stop would be great but DH is thinking he would like to visit Nuremburg. I'm not really interested in the Viking vs AMA vs Uniworld, etc debate. Just hoping to get info on itinerary preferences. What stops were best/not to be missed? What potion of the Danube is most scenic cruising? Will we be sorry if we miss the Main-Danube Canal or the bend of the Danube?

Also wondering if early to mid October would be a good time to cruise??

Thanks

Budapest is a fantastic city....so I would either start or stop there...and do some extra days if possible. The castles and church spires are magical.

Every city on our Budapest to Amsterdam cruise had something unique and it would be hard to say which were not to be missed. Each of us had our favorite.

We went mid September and were gone 18 days and had good weather for the most part...a few cool damp times so bring clothes to layer.

We did Nuremberg on our own prior to the river cruise and that might be an option for you. We flew from the US to Amsterdam and then had a flight to Nuremberg from there. There is a great bus ride that we have written about in another thread that you can take to Prague, which I wouldn't miss either.

The prettiest part of he section of the Danube that I was on was the Wachau Valley. I would end in Budapest because doing the Illumination Tour at night at the end of our journey was just perfect and I couldn't imagine doing it at the beginning - just my two cents worth!

I would end in Budapest because doing the Illumination Tour at night at the end of our journey was just perfect and I couldn't imagine doing it at the beginning - just my two cents worth!

It's a beautiful way to start a cruise too!

Valley Girl - we're 'neighbors' - we're on the North Fork of the Shenandoah River for 5 months every late spring - early fall.

Edited by capriccio

We love Budapest - so any opportunity to spend time there should be taken IMHO.

Everyone has their favourite stops - and ones that they weren't impressed with. DH and I have travelled Budapest to Nuremberg twice and some stops were still great the 2nd time around - while others didn't enthuse us.

Our thoughts (and, this is entirely subjective).

We love Bratislava although there are many that feel it isn't worth the stop.

We weren't entirely impressed with Vienna - one day there was enough. It is like many other big cities, although the Schoenbrun Palace is wonderful to visit.

Durnstein is a little village - not much to see. Melk Abbey is wonderful - and the village fun to wander through. If I could only do one stop - Melk would be my choice.

Passau is interesting - although not a bit place

Regensburg is a beautiful city - and the historic Wurstkuchl (Old Sausage Kitchen) is a great draw. Spent a few hours drinking beer - and eating sausages & sauerkraut there.... would happily go back.

Many intineraries offer a trip to Salzberg - either included or as an option. We went to a salt mine there - a fun way to spend a few hours. On our 1st cruise we stayed on the boat to see the Wachau Valley.

I love locks - so the Main Danube Canal was very interesting for us.

We really enjoyed Nuremberg. We stayed on an extra couple of days after our 2nd cruise ended - and were so glad we did. So much to see - we hired a private guide, but still would have liked more time there.

Not sure if this helps....

Fran

Edited by franski

You really won't go wrong regardless of what you do. If you are limited in days -- and when you add travel days 9 is about the minimum. Our arrival day is always considered a "jet lag" day... we keep on moving to stay awake until a normal bedtime... but I don't like to tax the brain with anything too complex that day. So if you don't arrive early, your first day is not the best.

I liked the Passau to Budapest route. Nuremburg is a wonderful city, but you don't dock in town, there will be a bus trip to tour any of it. You will go through locks during the rest of the cruise, even if you start in Passau. We did stop in Linz and did the day tour to Salzburg. Even with the bus trip, it was an enjoyable ride through beautiful country side. Salzburg is a beautiful small city and we really enjoyed our day there. Vienna ... which will be a stop on any Danube cruise ... has more of a big-city feel with stores, churches (with advertising!) -- however there are pastry shops, markets and Schonbrunn Palace and grounds to visit. I don't think there was a stop I didn't enjoy, they were all special.

It's a beautiful way to start a cruise too!

Valley Girl - we're 'neighbors' - we're on the North Fork of the Shenandoah River for 5 months every late spring - early fall.

Capricco - we are between the Middle and South Rivers but in the summer, when you are there, we are in Northern Michigan near the Straits of Mackinac. Perhaps before I go north or before you leave in the fall we could meet for lunch.

Jane

we just returned back from our 1st river cruise, Budapest to Nuremburg, so I am in NO way in expect. We did go in 2 days early to Budapest to rest up and really enjoy the city. I loved Regensburg and its old city. my hubby liked Nuremburg and its history. I agree, with the prior post, the wine valley is beautiful. Every city has something to offer. Do your homework and plan your trip according to your passions. enjoy

we just returned back from our 1st river cruise' date=' Budapest to Nuremburg, so I am in NO way in expect. We did go in 2 days early to Budapest to rest up and really enjoy the city. I loved Regensburg and its old city. my hubby liked Nuremburg and its history. I agree, with the prior post, the wine valley is beautiful. Every city has something to offer. Do your homework and plan your trip according to your passions. enjoy[/quote']

Who did you sail with?????

We are planning to do a Daube Cruise next fall. We will only have time for a 7-10 day cruise. There seems to be a plethora of variations on the somewhere to Budapest itinerary. Can anyone offer suggestions on their preferences? I would love to see Salzburg so a Linz stop would be great but DH is thinking he would like to visit Nuremburg. I'm not really interested in the Viking vs AMA vs Uniworld, etc debate. Just hoping to get info on itinerary preferences. What stops were best/not to be missed? What potion of the Danube is most scenic cruising? Will we be sorry if we miss the Main-Danube Canal or the bend of the Danube?

Also wondering if early to mid October would be a good time to cruise??

Thanks

we cruised the grand European route, Amsterdam to Budapest, covering the Rhine, Maine and Danube - starting 3rd week of October. This was in 2011 and we had very good weather and the most beautiful photos with fall colors and leaves . I found it to be good touring weather that time of year.

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

As the others have said, each stop has something special about it.

We love Budapest and have spent several days there over a couple of trips. Can't get enough. Must-see in Budapest: Grand Market Hall, Parliament Tour, House of Terror, Andrassy Blvd, St. Stephans, St. Matthias, Chain Bridge...

I loved Bratislava. The tour up to the castle was just ok--but the old town that's been restored was lovely and we really liked their lively Christmas market.

Vienna was nice--I could spend more time there. Schonbrunn Palace is fabulous. We also did an evening Mozart and Strauss concert in the Military Museum.

Enjoyed Melk Abbey and the town of Durnstein. We were there in December and it was quite foggy in the Wachau Valley but it would be something quite nice in the late summer-early fall with the vineyards.

I was quite sick with a really bad cold the day we stopped in Linz. My husband disembarked and did the day tour to Salzburg and LOVED it. You do not cruise directly to Salzburg--it's a bus ride away with stops along the way. When he returned we had a late departure so we walked around Linz. It's interesting and has a very modern feel to it--I liked it.

Passau was very quiet--but it was also only a few months following the terrible floods in the summer of 2013. While cleaned up, many areas of the old town were not yet open.

We were in Nuremburg and enjoyed our day around the city and Christmas market.

Haven't visited Regensburg yet.

On our Danube trip, we started in Budapest and traveled west to Passau. On both of our Danube trips, the ship sailed in the evening after dark and passed the Parliament. (On the Eastern Danube, the captain took us up the river almost to Margaret Island and then turned around and headed south. We have spectacular--amazing views of Castle Hill and the Parliament. It was incredible.)

No matter which direction you go--please build in extra time in Budapest. It is so worth it.

Would you happen to know if there is a cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest right now?

We have friends on that cruise and can't figure out what's the name of the cruise line.

Is there anyone on this website that is actually on the cruise at the moment?

Not sure if i'm putting this in the right place...Sorry...Carol.

The whole 7 to 10 days thing puts me off. It is a really long flight for such a short trip. Plus, you really need to fly at least one day early (not as important on a river cruise, because you could get from one port to the next on your own, but who wants to miss the first day moment of their cruise???:confused:) and get acclimated. Flying overseas is a killer, first day you are gassed. You need to get through it, all day then sleep, as long as you can (your internal clock will try to wake you up). Then spend a little time in the lovely city you fly to before doing the whole get on the ship, welcome aboard thing, dinner, drinks and falling asleep.

Just can't imagine going to Europe for less than two weeks unless it is for work. I, unfortunately, haven't had my work take me to Europe.... it takes me all over the USA and Canada, but, alas, no Europe.

What do you want to see? Castles, Vineyards, old town squares, historical buildings? It makes a difference what you like. What is your fantasy?

The trip depends on you and you haven't told us enough to even give you half a reasonable response.

jc

Would you happen to know if there is a cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest right now?

We have friends on that cruise and can't figure out what's the name of the cruise line.

Is there anyone on this website that is actually on the cruise at the moment?

Not sure if i'm putting this in the right place...Sorry...Carol.

Reasonably, right place, unfortunately, small population, and not likely to give you the information you seek.:eek:

I haven't checked all the cruise websites, but I assume there are several Amsterdam to Budapest cruises right now.

Why is it important to find someone on that cruise. Most river cruises have internet access, although sporadic, and you friends should be able to receive emails.

jc

I haven't been on the Danube above Vienna, but I have to say that I wouldn't have missed our time in Serbia and Croatia for anything. The recent history there is very sobering, and makes one realize the horror of war.

Belgrade is one of my favorite places, and my wife was surprised to find out she loves it also. If we had a teenaged son, I'd especially want him to go there to see the ... ahem ... female sights. ;)

I have less difficulty with time transitions going from the US to Europe (west to east) than I do coming back home. We fly out of MSP (middle of the US) and overnight to Paris or Amsterdam. I am awake until dinner than pass out and try and get as much sleep on the plane as possible. I am a mental midget when we arrive (COFFEEEEE!!!!) but by the time we catch our connection and get to our end destination, I've recovered enough to stay awake til new-normal bedtime. The trick is not to nap when you arrive--and don't do a lot of drinking (alcohol). I might a little wine with dinner, but let your body naturally fall into the new time zone. By day 2, I'm good--just need more coffee than usual.

If you take a 7 day cruise, you must plan on departing the day before to travel overnight to embark on your cruise. Then, when flying home, you pretty much depart and arrive within a few hours due to the 7-8-9 hour time change.

We've found that doing a pre-cruise extension of 2-3 days is a nice way to acclimate to the time zone. You can set your own adventure schedule and be a little easier on yourself rather than jumping in both feet right off the bat.

One thing I learned--take a melatonin supplement with you and take it about 30 minutes before bed time. It's sold everywhere and it really helps with jet lag and getting good sleep. It helps a LOT on the return...