Define "Formal"

dorisis

Every cruise line we've ever sailed on has a detailed description of every level of dress code on their website. In general, lines are going more casual, and even luxury lines are diluting "formal". Few, if any, expect "black tie." Most are happy if guests eschew flip flops and jeans.

Do any of the cruise lines actually give a definition of formal for ladies and gentlemen???

Not really Your best bet is to go to the cruise line's website and look for a tab that says something like 'on board our ship". That should give you a pretty good idea. If you don't see that call the cruise line. They should be able to help.

The definition varies widely by line, but Cunard (one of the most formal if not the most formal line) provides the following (I've included the definition for Informal to illustrate the formality of the line):

Formal
:

Evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies. A tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit with appropriate neck wear for men or you may wear formal national dress and army uniform.

Informal
:

Evenings would consist of a required jacket and optional tie optional for gentlemen, whilst ladies should wear cocktail dresses, stylish separates or equivalent.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

As indicated this varies by cruise line and most will post their "recommended attire" - which are generally not requirements - on their websites. But most cruise lines are down rating their formal night policies and not strictly enforcing their recommended attire.

As example, RCI on their Quantum class ships have done away with formal attire and listed formal nights altogether with the exception of "The Grand" venue, which is formal every night. And my understanding is that as such, their guidelines for formal attire there is a requirement. But this base fare included venue is strictly optional to choose for a reservation and the entire cruise dining experience can be casual otherwise at one of 17 other inclusive and fee based venues.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Formal seems to be getting more informal all the time; my definition of formal for men is a dark suit, white shirt and tie, or a tuxedo. Ladies have different style options: cocktail dress, long skirt (or flowy pants) and a pretty top, or all the way to lovely ball gowns. In our house "Formal" means tux and sparklies - we love dressing up, and it doesn't matter what cruise line we travel, we always dress the same.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I think you will find that most of the mainstream cruise lines have relaxed the application of their formal night dress requirements to a long sleeve button shirt , slacks, and closed toe shoes for men. Ladies can wear almost anything that looks nice.

Some may still want men to wear the jacket and tie, but they are becoming less stringent.

Edited by swedish weave

Formal seems to be getting more informal all the time; my definition of formal for men is a dark suit, white shirt and tie, or a tuxedo. Ladies have different style options: cocktail dress, long skirt (or flowy pants) and a pretty top, or all the way to lovely ball gowns. In our house "Formal" means tux and sparklies - we love dressing up, and it doesn't matter what cruise line we travel, we always dress the same.

We do this too. (DW says this is because we just use the same clothes over and over.):p

Do any of the cruise lines actually give a definition of formal for ladies and gentlemen???

they all do under their suggested attire section or FAQ on the website

or you can ignore ethic and listen to the 15 different opinions on what is and is not acceptable from the posters on CC

me, personally, i go by what was expected of me to wear at the various military functions over the years. (whatever uniform he was required to wear, I matched my outfit's formality accordingly)

Not really Your best bet is to go to the cruise line's website and look for a tab that says something like 'on board our ship". That should give you a pretty good idea. If you don't see that call the cruise line. They should be able to help.

They sure do and like you posted, it will be listed on the cruise line's website.

they all do under their suggested attire section or FAQ on the website

or you can ignore ethic and listen to the 15 different opinions on what is and is not acceptable from the posters on CC

me, personally, i go by what was expected of me to wear at the various military functions over the years. (whatever uniform he was required to wear, I matched my outfit's formality accordingly)

...as offered by you as well? Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand what "ethics" has to do with formal attire as defined by the various cruise lines per the OP's question.

The question wasn't what do we think is right, or are the guidelines followed - just whether the cruise lines offer a definition of their guidelines for formal wear for their passengers. And the answer as given in the responses is yes, they do.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We also enjoy dressing up on formal nights. Never understand why people object unless they do not own formal ware or have "outgrown" what they have A frequent problem with people who cruise often! Today with all of the discount stores it isn't expensive to buy.

...as offered by you as well? Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand what "ethics" has to do with formal attire as defined by the various cruise lines per the OP's question.

The question wasn't what do we think is right, or are the guidelines followed - just whether the cruise lines offer a definition of their guidelines for formal wear for their passengers. And the answer as given in the responses is yes, they do.

my laptop is having issues with the second line of letters on the keyboard and between that and auto correct some times what I type is not what actually appears on the page. I don't always catch it before hitting 'send'

'ethic' was not what I originally intended to say. I can't remember exactly what it was but I think it was something along the lines of ignoring what the websites list and listen to posters who all have opinions as to what is or is not appropriate or what the cruise ships will allow you to get away with

Guest maddycat
As indicated this varies by cruise line and most will post their "recommended attire" - which are generally not requirements - on their websites. But most cruise lines are down rating their formal night policies and not strictly enforcing their recommended attire.

As example, RCI on their Quantum class ships have done away with formal attire and listed formal nights altogether with the exception of "The Grand" venue, which is formal every night. And my understanding is that as such, their guidelines for formal attire there is a requirement. But this base fare included venue is strictly optional to choose for a reservation and the entire cruise dining experience can be casual otherwise at one of 17 other inclusive and fee based venues.

When we were on the Quantum in April, formal attire was not required in the Grande. It was suggested and the Grande was listed as a formal only restaurant. Most passengers eating there were wearing their formal clothes. However, they were also letting in passengers wearing jeans.

When we were on the Quantum in April, formal attire was not required in the Grande. It was suggested and the Grande was listed as a formal only restaurant. Most passengers eating there were wearing their formal clothes. However, they were also letting in passengers wearing jeans.[/quote

On the Quantum of the seas in March and if you didn't wear a jacket, they would provide you with one. All teens and adult males. In many cases the jackets were gross and didn't necessarily match or fit properly . In addition they were worn by many people, so they weren't necessarily clean or order free! If you dine in Grand on the Quantum, bring a jacket!

Guest maddycat
When we were on the Quantum in April, formal attire was not required in the Grande. It was suggested and the Grande was listed as a formal only restaurant. Most passengers eating there were wearing their formal clothes. However, they were also letting in passengers wearing jeans.[/quote

On the Quantum of the seas in March and if you didn't wear a jacket, they would provide you with one. All teens and adult males. In many cases the jackets were gross and didn't necessarily match or fit properly . In addition they were worn by many people, so they weren't necessarily clean or order free! If you dine in Grand on the Quantum, bring a jacket!

Yes, you are right. They gave a jacket to any one who didn't have one. Including those who were wearing jeans. As soon as they were seated they took off the jacket.