MDR questions - Getaway

bcaha

Can Taste or Savor be reserved in advance of sailing? I think that's where we are likely going to want to eat most dinners. thanks

You'll have the option to reserve your dinners about 90 days out. Just log into your MyNcl and you'll find reservations available under Dining, it's done day by day so be sure to select the specific day you want to make your reservation for first.

And....since it became possible to reserve a dining times in an MDR, there seems to be a thought that it needs to be done in order to eat in one. With a large group, yes, probably a good ides. However, the MDRs hold a large number of diners. And there are two or three MDRs on each ship. Even during the busiest dining hour, we have never had more than a short wait (two of us). And otherwise, we have always just walked up and been seated with no waiting. I would not plan too much in advance about dining in an MDR. I think sometimes anxiety has been fed by the fact that you CAN reserve....not that you MUST do so in order to eat.

Once you are 90 days out, you can reserve dining at the MDR's. Like roger001 said, I wouldn't worry about making reservations with them, unless you have a very large group with you. For Taste and Savor we walked right up with no waits. There are "touch screen" boards that let you check to see if there is a wait. I did find that around 5:00-6:30, there was hardly any wait. The later it got in the evening, the more crowded it became. If the wait was too long for our tummies, we ran up to the Garden Cafe. We never were hungry during our cruise :D

Does it impact your advice if I tell you are we are 5 adults during New Years week? I prefer not to be locked into a time, but I began to think I needed to set it up in advance or we'd "never" get in. Thanks!!!

Does it impact your advice if I tell you are we are 5 adults during New Years week? I prefer not to be locked into a time, but I began to think I needed to set it up in advance or we'd "never" get in. Thanks!!!

Personally, based on the very minimum wait times we've ever had at a MDR, I don't think you would have much delay without a reservation, even with five. And certainly the word "never" isn't going to happen. Like you, I don't want to be locked into a dining time. Freestyle is all about not doing that. At the worst, you could each morning have an idea of a suitable dining time that you might like that evening, and I don't think you would have trouble getting something close to it by just reserving that day. And then....my opinion. And again, remember there are three MDRs on the Getaway. That is a lot of seating.

Edited by roger001

You will see computer screens all over that will show how full each dining venue is estimated to be. Taste and Savor are directly across from each other so you can check each very easily to see which can accommodate your party quickly. Also the Tropicana is a huge venue with lots of larger tables.

Have a great cruise:D

Since we are on the question of to reserve or not to reserve, I would like to know if you reserve and put in party of 2, will you be guaranteed a table for two? My wife and I would like a table for two every night.

No. You might just as well be seated to a table for four. You won't need to share though - unless you want to.

Edited by Demonyte

NCL has freestyle and does not sit you with others. I despise this about Carnival when they cram you in with a bunch of people even if you arrange for a private booth its a battle the first day for sure. My son has food allergies and I do not want to risk cross contamination with his food. anything shared at the table he will not eat knowing that you may be eating something he can not have. Plus I really do not want to explain this every time . I do like Carnivals MDR better and they give my son a personal dietitian to order the day before so he does not have a issue.

• 3 months later...