what do you guys take off ship in case you miss the boat?

ginger123snaps

With all the cruises i have done we have never been concerned about missing the boat. However, i suppose I should be more cautious and take what i might need in case. So what do you need besides cash and id. is a copy of your passport enough in the carribean? Do all of you take all your travel documents when you get off the ship in ports?

We take our passports, credit cards, and a bit of cash. A copy of your passport is not a real document, it's only a way to show what your passport number is, which might help you get a replacement faster. If you have a passport, please take it with you; this is what you got it for. Keep that photocopy back in the cabin in case your passport is lost ashore, but do your best to keep the original with you.

I don't get the ooooh- I always keep my passport locked in the safe stuff. :) Makes me laugh frankly. :)

Mine is ALWAYS with me, yep, when I'm home.

What make people think this way- I just don't get it. Are they also afraid, when they go to Walmart- yikes, I better watch it, I could lose my credit card, ops- my license is going to be gone- what am I going to do??????

All these documents are important. Is everyone that careless? My passport is always in the same place of my purse. HABITS are what allow for the most safety. You have safe habits= someone who doesn't is going to be ahead of you to take advantage of. Blunt, sure, but facts. Flame away. :)

We never took our passports off the ship with us, but the last couple cruises we started. Especially at ports where we ventured out on our own or far away from port..

I don't really know why one would carry their passport around with them when at home? :confused: No need to flame, it just doesn't make sense. It is a document used for travel and identification. Since most have other forms of ID, carrying a passport at home is useless. It is a rather expensive document to replace. It would be like me carrying my certificate of naturalization around with me. Who would I ever need to show that to? Do I show them my passport when I give a credit card and the clerk asks for ID? No, I show my drivers license. Much cheaper to replace.

We usually carry a credit card, passports and cash off the ship with us. I think cash is far more important than a credit card.

We never took our passports off the ship with us, but the last couple cruises we started. Especially at ports where we ventured out on our own or far away from port..

I don't really know why one would carry their passport around with them when at home? :confused:

Sometimes my cats set up little security checkpoints in the hallway. Fortunately they are easily bribed with treats.

Never concerned about missing the ship.

One would to be completely drunk to miss a ship :confused:

Or meet otherwise unfortunate circumstances. Mechanical breakdown of whatever transportation they are using, victim of a crime, missing the last ferry. Could miss a ship for any number of reasons other than being drunk.

I don't get the ooooh- I always keep my passport locked in the safe stuff.

Yep, always reading where people think there is some advantage to taking a "copy" of their passports ashore - guess what, other than making you feel good - it is a waste your time and effort.

Just off the Breeze a few weeks ago and 7 passengers missed the boat and had to fly to the next port. They were on island time instead of ship time. They were a hour late and the ship waited but pushed off 5 minutes before they arrived. They said it cost each of them a little over $1000 to get to the next port. I felt so bad for them but am now wondering if they had their passport. ImageUploadedByForums1441670624.124089.jpg.456d95666b7f4693f97579df8ca5890a.jpg

Edited by dchoney

Nope, don't carry my passport off the ship - especially in the Caribbean. I've been on several Med cruises that collect passports and don't return them until the end of the cruise making it impossible to have a passport on shore.

Nobody else makes sure to have a cell phone in case of emergency? Being able to call emergency services is important, and calls to 911/999/112/000/whatever are free even internationally (not that the $1.50/min or whatever for international roaming should be a deterrent for emergency calls).

Edited by realjd

same here, our passports are in the safe for the cruise and in a safe deposit box at home.

I guess the question is, what good is the passport in the safe in the room when you are on land in a foreign country? A passport in the safe is really only good for one thing, to get you back on land from the ship. It doesn't help you get from one country to another or back home if something unfortunate happened.

We always carry our passports when we're not home and use them as ID even when we fly domestically. Best ID ever. We have had to show our passport in a few places in order to use a credit card.

A copy of your passport is as good as a copy of your driver's license, credit card,or cash - which is worthless. I don't know why people think they're going to lose their passport more than the other items.

Even though a passport is not needed in St. Thomas or Puerto Rico it still may come in handy. A couple of years ago the ship was leaving the home port of San Juan when a storm got really bad and the Port Authority said that all ships must leave. Normal sail time is about 10 pm but the ships left a few hours earlier. Those that did not make the ship either because they hadn't flown in yet or were exploring missed the ship. If they had passports, Carnival flew them to the next port of Barbados. If no passports, then you could go back home or remain in PR. A passport would have been helpful.

My recommendation is to always take your passport with you.

We always carry our passports when we're not home and use them as ID even when we fly domestically. Best ID ever. We have had to show our passport in a few places in order to use a credit card.

A copy of your passport is as good as a copy of your driver's license, credit card,or cash - which is worthless. I don't know why people think they're going to lose their passport more than the other items.

Even though a passport is not needed in St. Thomas or Puerto Rico it still may come in handy. A couple of years ago the ship was leaving the home port of San Juan when a storm got really bad and the Port Authority said that all ships must leave. Normal sail time is about 10 pm but the ships left a few hours earlier. Those that did not make the ship either because they hadn't flown in yet or were exploring missed the ship. If they had passports, Carnival flew them to the next port of Barbados. If no passports, then you could go back home or remain in PR. A passport would have been helpful.

My recommendation is to always take your passport with you.

I keep my passport in a travel wallet that I take everywhere. I also have a passport card in a neck holder that I use for air travel. I always have it handy for TSA, and it keeps me from losing my license like I once did. I carry my passport in a foreign country. You just never know.

I keep my passport in a travel wallet that I take everywhere. I also have a passport card in a neck holder that I use for air travel. I always have it handy for TSA, and it keeps me from losing my license like I once did. I carry my passport in a foreign country. You just never know.

A passport card is not valid for flying, anywhere, the TSA might accept it, but only as a govmt issued ID, not as a passport.

I take cell phone, wallet (which has my CC, DL and Passport Card at all times), Passport, and cash. You do not need a passport to get back through customs, those who take it but leave it in the safe might as well not take it, and take a birth certificate.

For those who take a copy in case they need a new one, The US Embassy can make you a new passport, without your old one, and you don't need a copy of it to get one. Just go in, prove who you are, and you can get a new one in an emergency. So... Why do you bother to bring one, and why carry a copy of one? What do you think a copy will do for you.

A passport card is not valid for flying, anywhere, the TSA might accept it, but only as a govmt issued ID, not as a passport.

I take cell phone, wallet (which has my CC, DL and Passport Card at all times), Passport, and cash. You do not need a passport to get back through customs, those who take it but leave it in the safe might as well not take it, and take a birth certificate.

For those who take a copy in case they need a new one, The US Embassy can make you a new passport, without your old one, and you don't need a copy of it to get one. Just go in, prove who you are, and you can get a new one in an emergency. So... Why do you bother to bring one, and why carry a copy of one? What do you think a copy will do for you.

A copy of your passport will make getting a replacement easier. It is considered proof of citizenship by the State Deparment if trying to replace a lost or stolen passport.

What Do I Need to Replace my Passport Overseas?

The following list identifies a number of documents/items you should take with you to the embassy/consulate. Even if you are unable to present all of the documents, the consular staff will do their best to assist you to replace your passport quickly. Please provide:

• A Passport Photo (one photo is required; get it in advance to speed the process of replacing your passport)
  • Identification (driver's license, expired passport etc.)
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship (birth certificate, photocopy of your missing passport)
  • Travel Itinerary (airline/train tickets)
  • Police Report, if available
  • DS-11 Application for Passport (may be completed at time of application)
  • DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport (may be completed at time of application)

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/emergencies/lost-or-stolen-passports-abroad.html

The "prove who you are" step is the tough one when it comes to getting an emergency passport from an embassy. The US State Department officially accepts photocopies of a passport as proof of identity and citizenship for issuing an emergency replacement passport. It's even on their official recommended packing list.

Passport photocopies are also useful for providing ID to local authorities, especially in compulsory ID countries, and especially in countries where local authorities may be tempted to steal your passport or hold it hostage for a bribe.

Edited by realjd

The "prove who you are" step is the tough one when it comes to getting an emergency passport from an embassy. The US State Department officially accepts photocopies of a passport as proof of identity and citizenship for issuing an emergency replacement passport. It's even on their official recommended packing list.

Exactly. They don't hand out emergency replacement passports to just anyone. You have to prove who you are and you are entitled to a US passport as a US citizen. A drivers license does not prove US citizenship when you show up at the embassy. It isn't always a quick process to for them to search and find evidence if you don't have it yourself. If you take a passport off the ship, should you also take a copy or your birth certificate and keep them in separate places?

I always keep a copy of my passport and birth certificates in our Google drive account. So if I have to, I can download and print them in a pinch if I can get to the internet and have a printer. An internet cafe will work or even perhaps a business center at a hotel

Exactly. They don't hand out emergency replacement passports to just anyone. You have to prove who you are and you are entitled to a US passport as a US citizen. A drivers license does not prove US citizenship when you show up at the embassy. It isn't always a quick process to for them to search and find evidence if you don't have it yourself. If you take a passport off the ship, should you also take a copy or your birth certificate and keep them in separate places?

I always keep a copy of my passport and birth certificates in our Google drive account. So if I have to, I can download and print them in a pinch if I can get to the internet and have a printer. An internet cafe will work or even perhaps a business center at a hotel

Good advice. I do the same, keeping scans of passports and such on Dropbox.