How do I go about to bring my little dog with me?

snorkelman

I do not have any visible disability, such as needing a wheelchair.

I have a chiweenie that is a great comfort to me. If I have a disability and the dog is used as a means to treat my disability can I bring the little fellow with me? I can buy a service dog vest if that helps.

I have a chiweenie that is a great comfort to me. If I have a disability and the dog is used as a means to treat my disability can I bring the little fellow with me? I can buy a service dog vest if that helps.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=service_animals

I want to know also. My little Chihuahua fits in my purse and doesn't eat much, nor does she need her own bed, since she sleeps with me. :D

Obviously you don't have to disclose any info you don't want to, but do you actually have a disability, and is your Chiweenie an official service dog?

After I saw this post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2257580

I wonder if you're just stirring it up today. :D Apologies if you weren't.

I'll bring my Great Dane. Ginger is a big girl, about 160 pounds. I'm sure you won't mind if she serves herself off your plate in the MDR. She would be a great comfort to me as well.

Outstanding.Thanks for the link. I see that my little fellow is allowed to join "the person with a disability in all public areas, including dining venues."

Just found a service dog vest for $30. Gonna get that shipped!

Did you read down far enough to see the links for the forms and regulations that must be met according to government regulations?

I've chatted with a family who legitimately requires a service dog and they said that the paperwork that has to be done every time is such that they could not imagine doing it for a family pet.

From the way it reads, you don't need any proof that it is a service dog, or even a doctors note that you require a service dog. That's crazy anyone could bring a dog and just say it's a service animal.

Evidence that a dog is a service dog is helpful but not required (such as identification cards, other written documentation, presence of harnesses and/or tags or the credible verbal assurance of the person with a disability using the dog).

From the way it reads, you don't need any proof that it is a service dog, or even a doctors note that you require a service dog. That's crazy anyone could bring a dog and just say it's a service animal.

Evidence that a dog is a service dog is helpful but not required (such as identification cards, other written documentation, presence of harnesses and/or tags or the credible verbal assurance of the person with a disability using the dog).

Maybe not from the cruiseline, but I think the government regulation forms DO require some kind of proof. Especially since anyone can buy a vest for their little precious.

Did you read down far enough to see the links for the forms and regulations that must be met according to government regulations?

From a quick look it seems like the UK makes it a real pain. Good thing the USA caters to disabled folk. Cruising from US departure to Caribbean doesn't seem like that much is required.

For the person asking about a kangaroo, that seems to require more paperwork. Little dogs seems pretty simple.

Maybe not from the cruiseline, but I think the government regulation forms DO require some kind of proof. Especially since anyone can buy a vest for their little precious.

No, they dont :) There is no certification or any proof required. The documents you speak of really have nothing to do with that and are only needed to disembark the ship in foreign ports. :)

Im paraplegic and actually have a service dog. A 4 year old female chocolate lab. When i cruise, she stays here because I like to disembark at the ports of call and the red tape you have to go through to do so with a dog just isnt worth it to me. Besides, its like having a child. Once in a while you need a break :) One of these days she may join me on a cruise but I wont plan on leaving the ship at all.

Its sad to say but MANY people abuse the ruling of the ADA to bring their pets with them. The cruise lines hands are tied and they cant really do anything about it. :o Service dogs are not even required to wear a vest.

The OP is just stirring the pot here anyway :)

Edited by ryano

Oh good! No proof necessary for a service animal. I'm assuming my indoor horse qualifies? I'd love to bring Spot along with me. She only kicks when annoyed by large crowds. Should be fine.

5648679356_guidehorse_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

I know you posted this in jest, but several years ago I was managing a cat show (other animals, such as dogs, are prohibited) being held in conjunction with a pet expo. At one point, I looked toward the entrance and saw a small HORSE being led in. Whoa. I started marching toward it when someone grabbed my shoulders and said "nothing you can do - it's a service animal" and so it was. I did explain to the owners that it might freak out some of the cats and they were animal lovers enough to leave, but they didn't have to.

There is an extremely long thread going on the disabled board regarding traveling with a service dog if anyone is interested.

I know you posted this in jest, but several years ago I was managing a cat show (other animals, such as dogs, are prohibited) being held in conjunction with a pet expo. At one point, I looked toward the entrance and saw a small HORSE being led in. Whoa. I started marching toward it when someone grabbed my shoulders and said "nothing you can do - it's a service animal" and so it was. I did explain to the owners that it might freak out some of the cats and they were animal lovers enough to leave, but they didn't have to.

There is an extremely long thread going on the disabled board regarding traveling with a service dog if anyone is interested.

Wow, that's awesome. I did post as a joke, but I personally have a hard time believing it would be a trustworthy service animal. They're just not wired like dogs, and such. We used to raise and breed AQHA reining and roping horses for years in Texas, and I wouldn't have trusted those freaks in a confined area for anything. Calm and mellow one minute, then the earth's axis rotates and a leaf blows sideways and they're off to the races in sheer terror.