Please help with transfer from Rome to port info, and hotel near Termini Station

gam888

Please share info on DIY transfer from Fiumicino Airport to Rome city centre. We are thinking of taking the airport bus, I believe it is about 4 Euros and it stops at the Termini train station. We plan to stay in a hotel within walking distance to the station. Then the next day, go from Rome to Civitavecchia to catch our cruise. We have taken the train from Rome to the port before during a port day, but that is without luggage.This time it will be with our luggage, we will each have 1 medium size luggage with wheels and 1 carry on. Not sure if we want to walk the distance from the train station to the port, not knowing how far at the port the Costa ship will be docked. We are thinking of spending a bit more money and just book a car transfer from our hotel near the train station to the port, but they are about 70 - over 100 Euros for 2 people. Could anyone suggest the name of a car company you have used that is reasonable for transferring from either the airport to Rome, or Rome to the port. What is the price you paid, etc. Any hotel info near the train station will also help. We just need a clean room for 1 night, nothing fancy. I saw some listed on the hotel booking website for under $100 but not sure which one to pick, so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance

Please share info on DIY transfer from Fiumicino Airport to Rome city centre. We are thinking of taking the airport bus, I believe it is about 4 Euros and it stops at the Termini train station. We plan to stay in a hotel within walking distance to the station. Then the next day, go from Rome to Civitavecchia to catch our cruise. We have taken the train from Rome to the port before during a port day, but that is without luggage.This time it will be with our luggage, we will each have 1 medium size luggage with wheels and 1 carry on. Not sure if we want to walk the distance from the train station to the port, not knowing how far at the port the Costa ship will be docked. We are thinking of spending a bit more money and just book a car transfer from our hotel near the train station to the port, but they are about 70 - over 100 Euros for 2 people. Could anyone suggest the name of a car company you have used that is reasonable for transferring from either the airport to Rome, or Rome to the port. What is the price you paid, etc. Any hotel info near the train station will also help. We just need a clean room for 1 night, nothing fancy. I saw some listed on the hotel booking website for under $100 but not sure which one to pick, so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance

Just a suggestion? Save all the departure say angst. Take the train to Civi and stay overnight pre-cruise in a local hotel.

There is some good sense behind Port Royal's suggestion. Takes out a considerable amount of worry and work.

As you haven't really settled on a solution, some reading on the board would be an excellent idea. There are tons of suggestions on transport- bus, taxi, train, car service, like the wonderful Rome in Limo, all covered. Hotels- in both Civi and Rome- covered.

You would also see you don't walk to the ship in Civi, you get to the gate, where there are free shuttles. So the location your sip is docked really doesn't matter.

Or, you can get transport from Rome, which in the case of many venders, will take you direct to your ship.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I don't see that you've joined the roll call for your cruise. You might want to post there to see if anyone would like to share a transfer to the port.

We booked RomeCabs for our shared transfers next week. The total cost of €210 breaks down to €26,25 per person...and they are picking up at four locations in Rome.

Lew

Just a suggestion? Save all the departure say angst. Take the train to Civi and stay overnight pre-cruise in a local hotel.

Insider Addendum.

Staying overnight allows the Ladies a pleasant morning pre-cruise perambulation, with an opportunity to peruse the reasonably priced shoe shops in the town. (AKA - Retail Therapy).

Directions- From the Dock gates (behind one) up the slope to the far end end of the town's main street, on the right side. :D

Thanks for the replies. We did go from the airport directly to the port 2 years ago. But that time, we flew into Rome in the afternoon, so we figured it was not worth taking a transfer from the airport to the city center, and go from Rome to the port the next day. This time, we are expecting to fly into Rome by 1:30pm, so we will still have a bit of afternoon and evening we can spend in the city. The cruise does not leave till 7pm the next day, so we figure we can still look around a bit in Rome the next morning until around Noon before heading to the port.

Last time we were in Civitavecchia, we did have a few hours to look around the town. As I recall there was a very small center area with a main street, some shops but nothing much interesting to see, so we are trying to balance the extra expense with the 2 transfers just to spend the afternoon and morning in Rome before the cruise, instead of going to the port right the way and have not a lot to do. So we are looking into finding a reasonable hotel just for 1 night near the train station. We are open to suggestions so nothing is concrete yet, still gathering information right now.

Thanks again for the replies, the research continues......

I don't see that you've joined the roll call for your cruise. You might want to post there to see if anyone would like to share a transfer to the port.

We booked RomeCabs for our shared transfers next week. The total cost of €210 breaks down to €26,25 per person...and they are picking up at four locations in Rome.

Lew

Is there a train to the port area?

I would not pass up the opportunity to have an afternoon, evening, dinner, and the next morning in Rome for a night in Civitavecchia. No way.

Do try your roll call for a shared car or van service.

Another alternative is Bon Bags. They get very high marks on Trip Advisor for their luggage services, so you could have them pick up your bags at your hotel in Rome and deliver them to the port for you, freeing you up to take the train.

http://www.bon-bags.com/sito/en

Thanks for the replies. We did go from the airport directly to the port 2 years ago. But that time, we flew into Rome in the afternoon, so we figured it was not worth taking a transfer from the airport to the city center, and go from Rome to the port the next day. This time, we are expecting to fly into Rome by 1:30pm, so we will still have a bit of afternoon and evening we can spend in the city. The cruise does not leave till 7pm the next day, so we figure we can still look around a bit in Rome the next morning until around Noon before heading to the port.

Last time we were in Civitavecchia, we did have a few hours to look around the town. As I recall there was a very small center area with a main street, some shops but nothing much interesting to see, so we are trying to balance the extra expense with the 2 transfers just to spend the afternoon and morning in Rome before the cruise, instead of going to the port right the way and have not a lot to do. So we are looking into finding a reasonable hotel just for 1 night near the train station. We are open to suggestions so nothing is concrete yet, still gathering information right now.

Thanks again for the replies, the research continues......

I have used Bob's Limo multiple times and really like them. They give a senior discount (if that applies) and they drive Mercedes. You can arrange a private transfer or join the shuttle at a lower rate. They took me directly to the hotel and brought my luggage in for me. They are very competitive in their pricing so check out their website if you are interested. Bob is an American who has lived in Rome for over 25 years. I have never had a problem in the past.

I wouldn't spend the night in Civitavecchia if it were me. I would either spend the night at an airport hotel and travel to Civitavecchia the next day, or my preference would be to transfer into Rome, spend the night, eat dinner and relax, sightsee if you stay close in (I like the Albergo Cesari for a GREAT location, maybe two blocks to the Colosseum) and get to the ship all caught up on your sleep the next day!

If you do choose to go into Rome, and if you choose the Albergo Cesari location, there is fabulous dining right at your doorstep. Just step outside and walk maybe 10-20 feet to your table, al fresco. We enjoyed it immensely!

I like the Albergo Cesari for a GREAT location, maybe two blocks to the Colosseum...

If you do choose to go into Rome, and if you choose the Albergo Cesari location, there is fabulous dining right at your doorstep. Just step outside and walk maybe 10-20 feet to your table, al fresco. We enjoyed it immensely!

Two hotels that are mentioned quite often on the Italy Ports board are Albergo del Senato and Albergo Cesari. We're looking forward to staying at Albergo del Senato next week and Albergo Cesari next June. Thanks you for the restaurant recommendation.

Albergo Cesari is a bit more than 1½ km from the Colosseum. Could you be thinking of the Pantheon?

Lew

I would also never pass up Rome to stay in Civitavecchia. It's a pokey place, and not all that charming....

I think your plan will work fine. You've got some familiarity with the process already and your baggage doesn't sound unreasonable.

I can recommend the airport bus as a good option. Book a hotel near Termini. It's not as charming as the areas others (including myself) like best, but for one night, it's not worth it.

I've stayed in two hotels near Termini. One that gets pretty high marks and is recommended by Rick Steves is Hotel Sonya. It was nice enough for a night, reasonable cost, clean, etc. Nothing special.

Another is Hotel UNA, which is more expensive but it is only steps from Termini and it is a more "American style" hotel with large rooms, huge breakfast, etc.

Take the train from Termini to Civitavecchia, then there is a bus that will take you from the station to the (new) port entrance for 80 euro cents each. From there, catch the free port shuttle bus to your ship.

Timing is tight on the train, as you know, so be prepared to get off quickly. It may work best if one of you gets off and the other hands down all the luggage.

It really is doable, if you are prepared. :)

I might be mistaken about the two blocks from the Colosseum, but I know if you go out the front door of the Albergo Cesari, turn left and go to the corner, you turn left at the corner and you can SEE the colosseum - short walk, also convenient to the Victor Emmanuel Monument (sp?), which has a roof top view to die for. I think it's a terrific location!

The rooms are good (not fantastic), clean, and the bathrooms are GOOD. They also have an elevator, which is a good thing for me!

I might be mistaken about the two blocks from the Colosseum, but I know if you go out the front door of the Albergo Cesari, turn left and go to the corner, you turn left at the corner and you can SEE the colosseum - short walk, also convenient to the Victor Emmanuel Monument (sp?), which has a roof top view to die for. I think it's a terrific location!

The rooms are good (not fantastic), clean, and the bathrooms are GOOD. They also have an elevator, which is a good thing for me!

The OP is asking for hotels near Termini, and the Albergo Cesari is quite a distance away from there. Also, it is considerably more than two blocks from the Colosseum. It's probanly a 15 minute walk.

It's a very nice hotel in a great location but is not what the OP is looking for.

Edited by CathyCruises

I like the Albergo Cesari for a GREAT location, maybe two blocks to the Colosseum) and get to the ship all caught up on your sleep the next day!

Quick question. I am planning on staying at the Albergo Cesari next summer. Any knowledge about the difference in double rooms (Cesari, Standard, Classic)? Is the difference enough to upgrade? Thanks.

Quick question. I am planning on staying at the Albergo Cesari next summer. Any knowledge about the difference in double rooms (Cesari, Standard, Classic)? Is the difference enough to upgrade? Thanks.

I wish you had posted this question a few days ago as we stopped by the Albergo Cesari on Tuesday to check it out for our June 2016 trip. I suggest you email the hotel for the info you need.

Lew

Last month, I stayed in the UNA Hotel near the Termini Station. 3 minutes walk. 4 stars. No complaints. But ask for an inside room, away from the side street where the trams run, late into the night and from early in the morning.

Taking the train from Termini to C port is easy, we chose the express train, booked in advance (but the queue in the Termini ticket office was long and slow). The fare was 11 euro. You may wish to consider the local trains, cheaper and the trip is longer (70 minutes).

If you arrive in C, not during lunch hours (12 something to 2 something), there is a bus from the train station to the port shuttle bus pick up place, for 2 euro per person. I used that, very easy.

For Bobby D, in re rooms at the Albergo Cesari --

I'm sorry I have no info to offer. We had a room with two double beds and it was nice. I had no opportunity to see into other rooms. Wish I could have been more helpful!

No problem at all. For us, we are more concerned with price and location of hotel. The room itself is not as important.

There are lots of inexpensive places to stay near Termini. Look on venere.com or booking.com. If you are not fussy and just want a bed for the night you will be fine. There are a few places to eat in the area but you may want to wander (or take transit) to more central areas. The train is also super easy and you do not need to book ahead. As long as one of you can lift your suitcase up a couple steps you will be fine. One person should board the train first and the other lift the luggage up. When we went it was a Sunday so we had a whole train car for four of us. If it is not a Sunday do not go during rush hours and you should be fine.

The money you save will buy some great meals or other treats during your cruise.

We booked the independent hotel for next year after extensive research. It is a couple of streets away from termini - we didn't book it for that reason - we booked for the reviews and the comparatively reasonable room rates. It is a bit away from the pantheon area but has good transport links to get anywhere in Rome.

We booked a hotel near the train station. We are now thinking instead of taking the airport bus, maybe take the train into the city instead. Then take the train from Rome to Civitavecchia the next morning. We just worry about having to find the bus stop for the airport bus and it might be very crowded, although it is a lot cheaper?!

We booked a hotel near the train station. We are now thinking instead of taking the airport bus, maybe take the train into the city instead. Then take the train from Rome to Civitavecchia the next morning. We just worry about having to find the bus stop for the airport bus and it might be very crowded, although it is a lot cheaper?!

I actually think the area where the express bus stops is very easy to find and is closer than the train station. (And cheaper.)

When you get your luggage and walk into the main arrivals lobby, you go out the doors (so you are actually outside). Then turn right and start walking on the sidewalk. (The airport building on your right, the road on your left.)

Pretty soon you'll see in front of you a sort of covered bus parking area. Large tour buses wait here for groups and the express buses also wait here, usually pretty close to the front. Just as you reach this area, there is a window where you can purchase the express bus ticket, if you don't buy it in advance.