HAL pays gratuties.....

Krazy Kruizers

I find the promo a little confusing. Is the offer available only for one week, or will they pay only one week of gratuities? I noticed, for the Caribbean, there are some cruises listed that are over 7 days. I tried looking at the terms and conditions but there was no clarification on that.

If someone books under this promo, would you please let me/us know which it is?

These are the T&C's for Canadians:

Fares are based on Promo(s)FL, FN, RH, RF, RG, FM, RM. Featured fares are per person based on double occupancy, cruise or Land+Sea Journeys only. Fares are in Canadian dollars. Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses are additional and range from CAD$117.68 - CAD$1,933.25. Subject to availability. Prepaid gratuities are based on the pre-payment by Holland America Line on behalf of the guest the suggested Hotel Service Charge including gratuties in the amounts of $12 per day for Suites and $11.50 per day for Interior, Ocean-view and Verandah staterooms and are based on promo VH. Prepaid gratuities do not include gratuities added for bar charges, dining room wine accounts or Greenhouse Spa and Salon services. Charges are subject to change without notice. Offer is valid on ocean-view staterooms and above, is not transferable and may not be combinable with other select offers. Reduced deposit offer is valid for new bookings only. Bookings made on voyages requiring immediate final payment are not eligible for a reduced deposit. Internet minutes are non-transferable. For more information about our stateroom categories and suite descriptions, to view deck plans and for full terms and conditions applicable to your cruise, please refer to hollandamerica.com or the appropriate Holland America brochure. Offers are capacity controlled, and may be modified or withdrawn without prior notice. Other restrictions may apply. One Week Sale ends September 21, 2015. Ships' Registry: The Netherlands.

Look at the two sentences that I bolded. In the first one it mentions Interior staterooms, among others, and in the second one, it says the offer is valid on ocean view staterooms and above!

I wish HAL would write clear terms and conditions!!!

Seems like an odd promotion.

On our April 2, 2016 cruise out of San Diego to Hawaii and South Pacific for 33 days ending in Vancouver, the promo is not offered. Yet on the same cruise for 30 days ending in San Diego or 35 days ending in Seattle it is offered. Seems like a no-brainer to us to book the 2 extra days as the cost of the cruise is the same for 33 or 35 days :rolleyes:

On our April 2, 2016 cruise out of San Diego to Hawaii and South Pacific for 33 days ending in Vancouver, the promo is not offered. Yet on the same cruise for 30 days ending in San Diego or 35 days ending in Seattle it is offered. Seems like a no-brainer to us to book the 2 extra days as the cost of the cruise is the same for 33 or 35 days :rolleyes:

New bookings only I see. Since the Cdn price is already up big time, I figure it's another slap in the face for us Canadians. sheesh! What happened to rewarding people that book early?

Thanks though KK, it's appreciated.

Edited by kazu

That stinks!

But it does answer my question. I hadn't realized that there were so many cruises over 7 days that were included in the promotion. I should have checked that before posting. I guess the promo must be available for one week (unless it gets extended;)).

There is nothing free on a cruise ship.

Pay it in the fare or pay it at time of use/consumption.

that's interesting. For the record, Oceania added stuff to our cruise and I got it all with one request and actually it was already done. prepaid gratuities, unlimited internet (new offer) and obc (new offer).

I disagree respectfully. Anyone who has booked early should have the benefits of those that jump on the band wagon when there is a sale.

Oh well, what do I know

That stinks!

But it does answer my question. I hadn't realized that there were so many cruises over 7 days that were included in the promotion. I should have checked that before posting. I guess the promo must be available for one week (unless it gets extended;)).

I read it as the offer is only available for one week. As in, book during this week, and you get it. Regardless of which (how long) cruise you book.

Interesting... Seems the offers are reversed...

We'll Pay Your Gratuities

For one week only, reserve an ocean-view stateroom or above and we’ll pay your gratuities, PLUS you’ll receive 50% reduced deposit on select sailings. Bonus for Suite Guests: Book a spacious suite and enjoy 100 complimentary internet minutes.*

*See Terms & Conditions

You would think a smaller "throw away" thing would be available to everyone and then if you go "all out" and book a suite you'd get something even better like free gratuities... It's like how Explore 4 gives everyone Pinnacle Grill but then suites ALSO got Canaletto. Yes, it's something additional which "sweetens the deal" but you would think the "better" things would be what is reserved for suite guests...

Just my 2 cents

I find the promo a little confusing. Is the offer available only for one week, or will they pay only one week of gratuities? I noticed, for the Caribbean, there are some cruises listed that are over 7 days. I tried looking at the terms and conditions but there was no clarification on that.

If someone books under this promo, would you please let me/us know which it is?

These are the T&C's for Canadians:

Fares are based on Promo(s)FL, FN, RH, RF, RG, FM, RM. Featured fares are per person based on double occupancy, cruise or Land+Sea Journeys only. Fares are in Canadian dollars. Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses are additional and range from CAD$117.68 - CAD$1,933.25. Subject to availability. Prepaid gratuities are based on the pre-payment by Holland America Line on behalf of the guest the suggested Hotel Service Charge including gratuties in the amounts of $12 per day for Suites and $11.50 per day for Interior, Ocean-view and Verandah staterooms and are based on promo VH. Prepaid gratuities do not include gratuities added for bar charges, dining room wine accounts or Greenhouse Spa and Salon services. Charges are subject to change without notice. Offer is valid on ocean-view staterooms and above, is not transferable and may not be combinable with other select offers. Reduced deposit offer is valid for new bookings only. Bookings made on voyages requiring immediate final payment are not eligible for a reduced deposit. Internet minutes are non-transferable. For more information about our stateroom categories and suite descriptions, to view deck plans and for full terms and conditions applicable to your cruise, please refer to hollandamerica.com or the appropriate Holland America brochure. Offers are capacity controlled, and may be modified or withdrawn without prior notice. Other restrictions may apply. One Week Sale ends September 21, 2015. Ships' Registry: The Netherlands.

Look at the two sentences that I bolded. In the first one it mentions Interior staterooms, among others, and in the second one, it says the offer is valid on ocean view staterooms and above!

I wish HAL would write clear terms and conditions!!!

They mention interiors in reference to the policy that $11.50 per person per day is the rate for all of those category types... to get the offer though you need to book oceanview or higher.

I understood it right away but in my profession I decipher these all day long. Definitely presented a little odd and easy to understand how the confusion occurred.

Our Panama cruise at the end of September qualifies for this sale. Just called our TA and she said it was only for new bookings. I pushed her a bit as we are in a Signature suite and would love to have the Internet minutes. She's going to try HAL tomorrow and see what happens. Will keep you posted.

that's interesting. For the record, Oceania added stuff to our cruise and I got it all with one request and actually it was already done. prepaid gratuities, unlimited internet (new offer) and obc (new offer).

I disagree respectfully. Anyone who has booked early should have the benefits of those that jump on the band wagon when there is a sale.

Oh well, what do I know

If the promotion is not restricted to new bookings, you have the choice to take advantage of any promotion for your cruise prior to final payment, right?

Edited by qsuzi

If one cancels to rebook and get the offer, they well could lose their cabin, their dining time of choice etc

I can only speak for the cruise lines I've sailed and my personal experiences on Princess, RCI, Celebrity, Carnival, NCL and HAL. I think that a large enough sampling to have some notion of the 'norm'.

If the promotion is not restricted to new bookings, you have the choice to take advantage of any promotion for your cruise prior to final payment, right?

Of course it's new bookings only. I can only assume you don't have to worry about a falling loonie. To rebook now is suicide. On the other hand, I booked Oceania and they had a deal for "new bookings only". They gave me the unlimited internet and the OBC on top of the pre-paid gratuities I already had. hmmmmm????? Take a look at all the cruise lines. They are starting to hurt as the Canadian dollar is at the lowest low ever. We are apparently 25% of the market on O and I suspect more than that on HAL. The writing is on the wall. No special obc pricing if we buy in advance like RCCL and now this slap in the face for those that book and help them fill their cabins. Sorry, NOT in a good mood. Tired of this crap and the unfairness to early bookers.

If one cancels to rebook and get the offer, they well could lose their cabin, their dining time of choice etc

I can only speak for the cruise lines I've sailed and my personal experiences on Princess, RCI, Celebrity, Carnival, NCL and HAL. I think that a large enough sampling to have some notion of the 'norm'.

Of course there isn't. But some get more than others and that has been seen time and time again. Same dollar doesn't do as much as others do. I thought I read on your review that you got some goodies on NCL?

<snip>

Of course there isn't. But some get more than others and that has been seen time and time again. Same dollar doesn't do as much as others do. I thought I read on your review that you got some goodies on NCL?

I got GREAT benefits for booking a Suite on NCL. I had Unlimited Beverage Package and it included any drink costing $11 and under. That is the vast majority of what the average person would be ordering. We also got Unlimited Dining Package to dine in any of the alternative restaurants, Pre-Paid automatic gratuities AND OBC. :) Pretty nice !!!

However, I'm not fooled into thinking the cruise was not priced to factor these specials. I don't think all suite guests sailed at a loss to NCL. I cannot say if those benefits were given to all who booked suites or if it was during a specific time span but I would venture those who did not get those features perhaps had lower fares? ;) I don't know that much about NCL, yet, but I'm learning. :)

Of course it's new bookings only. I can only assume you don't have to worry about a falling loonie. To rebook now is suicide. On the other hand, I booked Oceania and they had a deal for "new bookings only". They gave me the unlimited internet and the OBC on top of the pre-paid gratuities I already had. hmmmmm????? Take a look at all the cruise lines. They are starting to hurt as the Canadian dollar is at the lowest low ever. We are apparently 25% of the market on O and I suspect more than that on HAL. The writing is on the wall. No special obc pricing if we buy in advance like RCCL and now this slap in the face for those that book and help them fill their cabins. Sorry, NOT in a good mood. Tired of this crap and the unfairness to early bookers.

You're right I didn't factor in the loonie. What a pain!

Hi

I think this is very unfair to crew. Just think at dinner couple one say thier tips are included, couple two or more did not get the package and they believe tips are also included in thier cruise fare hince they do not leave a tip. The will all go down to front desk and raise cain. The front desk will remove it.

Hope my cruise is not on the list.

Mary

I've read here that both Australia and Canada are suffering lower value currency circumstance but haven't been able to learn why?

Anyone want to tell us why Australians and Canadians are being hit with these higher HAL/cruise prices because of their $$ ?

Hi

I think this is very unfair to crew. Just think at dinner couple one say thier tips are included' date=' couple two or more did not get the package and they believe tips are also included in thier cruise fare hince they do not leave a tip. The will all go down to front desk and raise cain. The front desk will remove it.

Hope my cruise is not on the list.

Mary[/quote']

Well, technically, all tips are "included". The Hotel Service Charge is automatically applied to all accounts. But, with this promotion, who actually pays them differs.

Really no way for anyone to know that someone else will be paying my HSC unless I tell them.

I've read here that both Australia and Canada are suffering lower value currency circumstance but haven't been able to learn why?

Anyone want to tell us why Australians and Canadians are being hit with these higher HAL/cruise prices because of their $$ ?

I think I understand your question. Most Canadians book in cdn. Hal has a exchange rate that they adjust a few times a year. Sometimes you lose, sometimes you win.