Kings Wharf Pier

Charlie4

There are two piers at Dockyard...Heritage Wharf, where the Breakaway and some other large ships dock, and Kings Wharf, which is too small for the Breakaway and certain other large ships.

Yes...sometimes only one ship is docked there...at either Heritage Wharf or Kings Wharf...and sometimes both piers are occupied.

• 2 weeks later...
We are on the Liberty in three weeks and according to our itinerary, we are docking at Kong's Wharf.

Your "official itinerary" is wrong. LOS docks at Heritage Wharf because it's too big to dock at Kings Wharf. Here's the official Bermuda port schedule: http://seaexpress.bm/Documents/Shipping_schedules/2015_Cruise_Ship_Schedule.pdf . You'll see that LOS docks at Heritage Wharf.

Cruise lines often incorrectly identify any ship docking at the Royal Naval Dockyard as docking at Kings Wharf, because originally the only berth at the Dockyard was Kings Wharf so they use the two names interchangeably. Several years ago a second cruise ship berth, Heritage Wharf, was built at the Dockyard.

Just had a look at the schedule. I'll be on Carnival Splendor next month and everything says Kings Wharf, but that schedule shows us as Heritage, with NCL Dawn being at Kings Wharf already and Carnival Pride arriving at noon on Wednesday.

So, not really surprised that Carnival has it wrong, either!

I was there on Carnival Glory in October 2011 and we docked at Kings Wharf (there was a Norwegian ship at Heritage when we arrived).

Just had a look at the schedule. I'll be on Carnival Splendor next month and everything says Kings Wharf, but that schedule shows us as Heritage, with NCL Dawn being at Kings Wharf already and Carnival Pride arriving at noon on Wednesday.

So, not really surprised that Carnival has it wrong, either!

I was there on Carnival Glory in October 2011 and we docked at Kings Wharf (there was a Norwegian ship at Heritage when we arrived).

It is not really important Kings Wharf or Heritage. Both berths are at the Royal Navel Dockyard and next to each other at the port. What matters is that the ships are docked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Does that little tram visit both piers or just Kings Wharf?

If you're at Heritage Wharf you have to walk a short distance to the road that leads to the piers in order to get the tram. When they rebuilt Heritage Wharf two years ago the pier was left with insufficient width for the tram to drive onto Heritage Wharf and turn around to depart.

Don't know why they just don't use the generic Royal Dockyard which is how the ferries are labeled.

I think that is either because Kings Wharf is what they used 20 years ago and they are too lazy to change or possibly Kings Wharf is the official maritime designation for the port.

It is not really important Kings Wharf or Heritage. Both berths are at the Royal Navel Dockyard and next to each other at the port. What matters is that the ships are docked.

Yes, I know the ships are docked and I know where they're located. I didn't start the thread. Just adding that Carnival has our particular 1-time sailing listed at Kings Wharf and not Heritage. Some people actually appreciate accuracy.

Yes, I know the ships are docked and I know where they're located. I didn't start the thread. Just adding that Carnival has our particular 1-time sailing listed at Kings Wharf and not Heritage. Some people actually appreciate accuracy.

I guess I am not that OCD. The berths are close together and I don't see that it makes much if any difference which berth. I would be fine at either one.

If you're at Heritage Wharf you have to walk a short distance to the road that leads to the piers in order to get the tram. When they rebuilt Heritage Wharf two years ago the pier was left with insufficient width for the tram to drive onto Heritage Wharf and turn around to depart.

Just to mention their was/is enough room for the tram at Heritage Wharf. In fact if you visit the area directly outside the terminal you will see a line and a circle and that was the line for the tram to follow when on the pier. The tram stop for Heritage Wharf was changed last year to limit the amount of traffic that goes near the terminal building.

Having no tram makes it hard for my mom to get off the ship. She has trouble walking a distance, and she considers the Heritage Wharf pier a distance, to get to a tram, taxi, or excursion. She's stayed on the ship the partial days we were there in May and September because she couldn't walk that far. She doesn't use a scooter at home and doesn't need one on the ship so is hesitant to get one for the pier and have to learn how to use it.

It really kinda' sorta' is the same place. Like if you were sailing out of NYC and each pier had a name rather than a number designation, or if you've ever docked in St Thomas at Havensight....two or three ships just parallel park one in back of the other, if each spot had a name, it would be like King's Wharf or Heritage Wharf, though the ships are not quite that close.. It's sort of just one ship is to the left, the other to the right. We were there recently on "X"s "Summit, and the Summit was "here" and the Breakaway was "there".

Edited by marco

Has the Dockyard opened up for cruise ships, or did it sustain too much damage from Joaquim?

The port webcam is down, and only showing storm videos.

It did not sustain damage. Yes, the roof where the camera is mounted was damaged but nothing else that would prevent ships docking.