Live from Uniworld river ambassador

Cheekyrn1

Just a little review. This is our first river cruise..we have been on numerous ocean cruises....the staff have been wonderful..very attentive and most pleasant....food has been good...my negative impressions are several unfortunately...the dinner dining experience is frustrating...it is a sit down dining experience at a set time 7-9pm...service is nice but very slow. We usually finish dinner about 9:30... I want to eat and get out of the dining room. It is a claustrophobic area for me with low ceilings and window shades are usually closed...and the dining room is the only option for dinner. There is nothing else. If you are tired and do not want a 2-3 hour dining experience too bad....also I am really frustrated with the excursions...we pay thousands of dollars to visit some of these cities along the Rhine and we are only given 2 hours to explore because there is a schedule for the locks...a few times when they provide shuttle service to the towns it is not available during meal times so a couple of hours are wasted just sitting around doing nothing!!! Very annoying when you walk past a beautiful church and the guide states the name but also states can't go in because no time...the cabins are nice. Beds very comfortable...my personal taste though is I do not appreciate all the kuma sartre naked picture artwork in the room or the length of the hallway...will not be doing a river cruise again...

We just left this ship on Sunday and agree with you about the dining. We were always last to go in, about 8pm usually and spent exactly the same time in there as the people who had gone in at 7pm!

The room we found tiny and annoying. I was pushed into the closet a few times as my DH opened the bathroom door onto me!

Never saw the Kama Sutra pictures!

Agree totally about the excursions. In the end we did our own thing so we could go anywhere we wanted. We found the guides included far too much detail and went too slowly for us.

Would we do another river cruise? Maybe. We would use Uniworld again but choose a newer boat. We looked round the Maria Theresa in Nuremberg and the rooms are much bigger, although the decor is OTT!

OP - have you spoken with your waiter or the maitre'd at dinner about speeding up your service? We were on a 14 night Uniworld Budapest to Amsterdam cruise last month (on both the River Princess and the River Empress due to the need for ship exchange because of low water) and the crew on both ships would bend over backwards to accommodate passengers. If you want all/some of your courses served at the same time to speed up the process I would ask.

RE: cabin size - this was our first river cruise but we had done our research and knew they would be small. It worked for us because we only used the cabin for sleeping. I do have to say that post cruise we spent 2 days in Amsterdam and stayed at the Waldorf Astoria where our bathroom was the size of our cabin on the ships. It was glorious!:D

Like any cruise, it's a matter of taste. Some people don't enjoy river cruising and shouldn't do them. Personally we don't care for big ship cruises, too many people, very impersonal, mediocre food and way too many people at ports. To each his own!

We've only been on one of Uniworld's 'super ships,' the Antoinette, and for our next cruise we specifically chose the Maria Theresa since we loved the size, amenities and features so much. (Yes, the decor is a bit OTT.:) )

For us, the whole evening was really about drinks and dinner, so it never really concerned us that it was typically a 90 minute to 2 hour affair. That said, I have no doubt that our crew would have bent over backwards to make any accommodations we requested. On our cruise, I never got the impression that any diners were waiting impatiently for food; it was just a relaxed affair and no one really had anyplace else to go at that point in the evening. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to offer an alternative opinion, I was on the River Ambassador last fall (on the Danube), and I thought dinner was superb. But, I like to eat and leisurely dinner service is an enjoyable part of my vacation. I thought the artwork was tasteful, and loved to the detail given by the tour guides (I was usually taking notes).

What are negatives for some may be positives for others.

River cruising is certainly not for everyone. I have to say, though, that we've not experienced delays in dinner service beyond what we'd expect in a fine restaurant - and we've cruised Uniworld three times. It's typically been about a 90-minute experience. Very sorry the OP had a different experience.

Edited by MaxBuck

We also miss having an alternate dining venue option some evenings, when we're tired from a busy day, or would like to take an after dinner walk before it gets too dark. On our last trip, we did order dinner in our suite twice, which was served course by course. I don't know if this only available in suites, though. In the dining room on Uniworld, if we're at a table for two or even four, we've sometimes been able to finish the meal in an hour; the waiter would clear and bring the next course promptly. Also, there's so much food we sometimes have just the appetizer or soup, and the waiter was able to accommodate us. We like fine dining but don't need it several nights in a row!

I think this honest review points out that if one expects a river cruise to be similar to an ocean liner cruise, it's not. For us we love the wonderful service, the never ending wine and the conversations with our new acquaintances. There really isn't anything else to do or go anyways.

As for the short time in town, our experience has been three hours before lunch. You then return to the ship. But you may return to the ship on your own. Take a cab, or if you're lucky you can walk. After lunch, there is another excursion. That gets back just in time to prepare for dinner.

I think this honest review points out that if one expects a river cruise to be similar to an ocean liner cruise, it's not. For us we love the wonderful service, the never ending wine and the conversations with our new acquaintances. There really isn't anything else to do or go anyways.

As for the short time in town, our experience has been three hours before lunch. You then return to the ship. But you may return to the ship on your own. Take a cab, or if you're lucky you can walk. After lunch, there is another excursion. That gets back just in time to prepare for dinner.

This was our perspective as well. We also loved having the bikes available for a bike ride on our own.

This seems to be a constant complaint, by many Americans. Dining anywhere in Europe, except at buffets, is typically a 90-120 minute affair. Perhaps longer. Many of my fellow Americans hate that and prefer eating in less than 30 minutes and moving on. I prefer the laid back conversation and the flow of wine during the comfortably paced meals, but it is really a personal affair. We had one Portugese BBQ buffet dinner on the Queen Isabel. Some were delighted in they could finish their meals in under 30 minutes and leave that one evening. Each to their own.

This also goes along with those that want two tops in the dining rooms, because they have no desire to converse with anyone on their tour during dinner (or most anytime). I'm not convinced that river cruising is a good option for either of those groups

We enjoy a combination of fine dining and shorter meals, especially on a long cruise. As for those of us who sometimes prefer two-tops or tables for four, DH's hearing aides pick up so much noise it's hard to converse or hear well in a larger group. It may not always be an anti-social attitude. For some, it is, of course.

Having sailed on both Uniworld and Viking, I will say that both lines would do their passengers a great benefit if the lines would put in noise deadening panels in the dining rooms. The noise often does get very loud as some feel the best way to be heard is to yell even louder over the background noise. Redirect some of those marketing dollars into common sense ship improvements.

Having sailed on both Uniworld and Viking, I will say that both lines would do their passengers a great benefit if the lines would put in noise deadening panels in the dining rooms. The noise often does get very loud as some feel the best way to be heard is to yell even louder over the background noise. Redirect some of those marketing dollars into common sense ship improvements.

There is a direct link between the free wine poured at dinner and the noise level. You can see this right on the bottle, where it states "alcohol by volume." :D

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

For those who recently sailed on Uniworld, can you describe the attire worn by the guests. I understand there is a welcome aboard evening and a farewell dinner that is dressier. How dressy? We found Viking to be always rather casual attire, too casual in some instances. The luggage seems so restrictive on Uniworld. Only one case plus carry on allowed on their buses. I really am going to try my best to minimize wardrobe.

For those who recently sailed on Uniworld, can you describe the attire worn by the guests. I understand there is a welcome aboard evening and a farewell dinner that is dressier. How dressy? We found Viking to be always rather casual attire, too casual in some instances. The luggage seems so restrictive on Uniworld. Only one case plus carry on allowed on their buses. I really am going to try my best to minimize wardrobe.

There was recently some fairly extensive discussion of this, but I can't locate the thread right now. The bottom line is that you'll see a bit of everything. In general, a pair of black pants and a nice top is suitable for pretty much everything. We saw everything in the dining room, from shorts and flip flops to men in ties and sport jackets (not many, though!).

Not sure about the luggage restrictions you're referencing. We were limited only by the airline rules. :) Are you referring to buses to/from airports, etc.? If so, the one that took us to the rail station after the cruise had large luggage compartments underneath that had no problem handling everyone's luggage.

Just returned from a Uniworld cruise. The welcoming dinner is not formal at all. At the farewell dinner, about 75% of the gentlemen wore sports jackets, no ties. The ladies were mostly in dresses. This was the only dinner were all but a very few gentlemen wore shorts coats. Slacks and collared shorts were the norm at the other dinners.

The only dress policy aboard Uniworld was "No shorts, for dinner, in the Dining Room". Even though I don't believe it is stated anywhere, the Tour Director made this policy very clear at his first briefing. I will add that I never saw a pair of blue jeans being worn, by either sex, to dinner either. I don't believe any men ever wore uncollared shirts to dinner either. For many of we gentlemen, Khakis are found to be far more expedient in that they can be dressed up with a nice dress shirt or dressed down with a polo. No need to ever take blue jeans on these trips. Since it was warm/hot during the day, shorts, khakis and other trousers were the typical attire during the day.

As you implied, Viking has no dress code, either written or implied, and some of their guests stretch those limits, particularly in the casual direction, imo. On our Viking cruise, people dressed far more casually than on Uniworld overall. I believe for dinner, on Uniworld, the typical attire is somewhere between "country club" casual and business casual.

Just returned from a Uniworld cruise. The welcoming dinner is not formal at all. At the farewell dinner, about 75% of the gentlemen wore sports jackets, no ties. The ladies were mostly in dresses. This was the only dinner were all but a very few gentlemen wore shorts coats. Slacks and collared shorts were the norm at the other dinners.

The only dress policy aboard Uniworld was "No shorts, for dinner, in the Dining Room". Even though I don't believe it is stated anywhere, the Tour Director made this policy very clear at his first briefing. I will add that I never saw a pair of blue jeans being worn, by either sex, to dinner either. I don't believe any men ever wore uncollared shirts to dinner either. For many of we gentlemen, Khakis are found to be far more expedient in that they can be dressed up with a nice dress shirt or dressed down with a polo. No need to ever take blue jeans on these trips. Since it was warm/hot during the day, shorts, khakis and other trousers were the typical attire during the day.

As you implied, Viking has no dress code, either written or implied, and some of their guests stretch those limits, particularly in the casual direction, imo. On our Viking cruise, people dressed far more casually than on Uniworld overall. I believe for dinner, on Uniworld, the typical attire is somewhere between "country club" casual and business casual.

Our recent cruise was definitely more casual. Lots of blue jeans - although not for the farewell dinner. I was rather surprised by how casual it was. Most of the dresses I took along came home unworn.

Just bring what you'll be comfortable in. You'll fit in as long as you're dressed neatly.

bubbulz;

The luggage restrictions are in place for those trips with land portions such as our Madrid, Douro, Lisbon cruise; and also on China trips with multiple air trips. Some of the cruises ignored the restrictions and brought what they wanted, luggage wise. On one of the transfers, the luggage did not go with we passengers, but was hauled in separate trucks. We found it much easier only having one suitcase and a carry-on to worry about and had no problem getting down to that limit for our trip.

On the first night aboard, the Tour Director laid out very specifically the dress code: NO SHORTS at dinner. Since the briefing is right before dinner, he said it was OK not to change for that evening. That was the only night, other than the top deck BBQ (which was not in the Dining Room) was shorts allowed. Are you saying a multiple of guests, on your tour, ignored the dress code and dressed regularly in shorts, tees, and flipflops to dinner? :eek: I can state that did not happen on our cruise!

thank you everyone for the responses regarding wardrobe. We are doing a Christmas markets cruise in December, starting with a Prague pre-cruise excursion. We are use to ocean cruising in the luxury market and dress appropriately. I read about the luggage restrictions on the Uniworld site. It's difficult when one has to pack boots/coats/gloves for winter weather.

Looking forward to the over the top decor of the Maria Theresa. That was a comment I heard from previous guests that the decor selected by Uniworld was old European.