Fresh-squeezed OJ?

mafig

Is the fresh-squeezed orange juice available in the dining room at breakfast or just the buffet?:)

Well, this a "can of worm's" topic.

Earlier this year they stopped squeezing actual oranges on board for OJ, now it's ordered in already frozen fresh squeezed and thawed and served (this is different than the OJ in the dispensers, which are reconstituted from concentrate).

I can't answer as to availability in MDR after the change, but wanted to ensure you knew about the little detail about the OJ these days :)

I had hoped no one would bring this up again.....Sigh

Earlier this year they stopped squeezing actual oranges on board for OJ, now it's ordered in already frozen fresh squeezed and thawed and served (this is different than the OJ in the dispensers, which are reconstituted from concentrate).

I can't answer as to availability in MDR after the change, but wanted to ensure you knew about the little detail about the OJ these days :)

The guy selling/serving the fresh OJ in the Oceanview Cafe last month on Summit said he gets the OJ from Blue where it is fresh squeezed. That was his explanation as to why the OJ comes to him is round plastic jars and not conventional pour and serve jugs/bottles.

I am not sure whether this is true or not, as others have said the OJ machine has been taken out of Blu and replaced by a pre-pakaged/previously frozen "fresh" OJ, like I get at while foods for $7.99/half gallon.

Either way, it was delicious and I don't care if it was previously frozen if it tastes this good and this fresh.

DH has never been a fan of fresh squeezed OJ on Celebrity as it is served at room temperature! snow bunny

We were served the OJ at room temp on the first morning in Blu. We thought it was terrible and complained. David, the Maitre D' said that was how they have been instructed to serve it, not sure why...however, he said there is cold OJ in the fridge and just request cold OJ from the firdge. After that, it was never an issue and we had many, many glasses per day (6 ppl) at breakfast and dinner.

The fresh OJ in the Oceanview Cafe is poured chilled.

Edited by soxfan2013

The guy selling/serving the fresh OJ in the Oceanview Cafe last month on Summit said he gets the OJ from Blue where it is fresh squeezed. That was his explanation as to why the OJ comes to him is round plastic jars and not conventional pour and serve jugs/bottles.

I am not sure whether this is true or not, as others have said the OJ machine has been taken out of Blu and replaced by a pre-pakaged/previously frozen "fresh" OJ, like I get at while foods for $7.99/half gallon.

Either way, it was delicious and I don't care if it was previously frozen if it tastes this good and this fresh.

Mu butler from my TA on Connie just told me flat out, "no no one is squeezing any oranges on this ship for juice. The Juice in BLU is just like we get here now (meaning suites that he just delivered me, where it used to be squeezed), I'm sorry."

Mu butler from my TA on Connie just told me flat out, "no no one is squeezing any oranges on this ship for juice. The Juice in BLU is just like we get here now (meaning suites that he just delivered me, where it used to be squeezed), I'm sorry."

I requested "fresh oj" from my butler on the Reflection in the room and Michael's club concierge told me that the butler squeezed it himself. Not sure. I was really just asking for the same stuff served at breakfast. Both tasted very good.

DH has never been a fan of fresh squeezed OJ on Celebrity as it is served at room temperature! snow bunny

Truly "fresh" squeezed OJ is usually served at room temperature because the time it takes to chill it would make it no longer truly "fresh." We live in Puerto Vallarta during the winter where fresh squeezed OJ is available at lots of street stands. You order a glass, they take an orange and squeeze it, and give you the juice. It used to be same on Celebrity. They had machines that would squeeze the Oranges and we had it within seconds (sometimes a few minutes) after it was squeezed. Again, this was truly fresh. So we have bought fresh squeezed OJ in Puerto Vallarta and sometimes would put it in our fridge for later consumption. A few hours later it was cold, and it also no longer tasted truly fresh. Most experts say the oranges should be a room temperature when squeezed and consumed very quickly at that same temperature. Since the juice is not pasteurized any delay in consumption increases the possibility of bacteria.

We folks in the US are really in love with our cold beverages and ice. We are also one of the few places in the world that refrigerates eggs. A fresh never refrigerated egg seems to have better texture and taste then eggs that have been refrigerated, but good luck finding them in the US or Canada. Go to Mexico, Europe, Asia or just about anywhere else in the world and eggs are stored at room temperature until sold. I should mention that in Puerto Vallarta we have Walmart Superstores, Sams, and Costco and none of them refrigerate eggs.

Hank

I think ur going a little overboard on the concept of fresh. OJ made the same day and refrigerated is plenty fresh for me. I won't have it unless it's chilled.

We did not have OJ made the same day on our cruise. I believe it came from cartons which were refrigerated.

Edited by keesar