Azura - New Improved Embarkation Process

FAB1

Yes that's well said Florry. I just meant that maybe some chair users might like to get there a bit later than noon. We all have preferences, in a chair or not in a chair. And I do agree that I have watched folk in chairs with carers and thought isn't it great that they can enjoy a holiday like a cruise. It's possibly easier than on land?

Edited by jeanlyon

Yes that's well said Florry. I just meant that maybe some chair users might like to get there a bit later than noon. We all have preferences, in a chair or not in a chair. And I do agree that I have watched folk in chairs with carers and thought isn't it great that they can enjoy a holiday like a cruise. It's possibly easier than on land?

I agree Jean, there will be some who live local or have a preference. But for those who arrive early I think common sense will prevail (hopefully). I'm not sure it is easier on land, whilst facilities are so much better than they used to be the physical effort of doing things that we take for granted is difficult on land and sea. You would hope that the adapted cabins are prioritised in the cleaning so they are ready on boarding whatever the time - at least then they can get settled. My experience of disability is at the more extreme end of the spectrum so hopefully it's easier than it sounds for many :)

I've got an interesting scenario to put by you... I have today been upgraded to a Mini Suite on B deck Oceana from a Balcony cabin on C deck where my embarkation time was 15.00.

Will my embarkation time be changed now, do you think?

Haha that's brilliant well done to you! I think your boarding time will change but I'd phone them up to try to give it a helping hand!

I've got an interesting scenario to put by you... I have today been upgraded to a Mini Suite on B deck Oceana from a Balcony cabin on C deck where my embarkation time was 15.00.

Fabulous news and you will get on early too:D

We had a mini-suite on Oceana and we were boarded with everyone else, no special treatment. We joined the priority boarding queue and got told our names were not on the list

Having said that the mini-suites are excellent.

Thanks florry for your kind observation. You have obviously had some

Personal experience. I found the official statement from the p&o

Person very by the book, and unhelpful. But what more would we

Expect, from someone not directly involved with people with special needs.

We shall arrive before the ticket time. But not as early as we would

Have done in the past. As advised, will ask for assistance. Then we will see!!

Kind regards, for all your interest, Mike.

Thanks florry for your kind observation. You have obviously had some

Personal experience. I found the official statement from the p&o

Person very by the book, and unhelpful. But what more would we

Expect, from someone not directly involved with people with special needs.

We shall arrive before the ticket time. But not as early as we would

Have done in the past. As advised, will ask for assistance. Then we will see!!

Kind regards, for all your interest, Mike.

Good luck - and have a lovely holiday [emoji4]

Until I saw that you had been on Oriana I thought that you were the person on our Azura cruise this year who had exactly the same situation. The captain kept us entertained with his announcements about where the missing passenger's son in law was with the passport, apparently the passenger was in touch with the son in law by phone and the shore staff kept telling the ship where he was. When the passengers eventually boarded everyone cheered, I was just glad it wasn't me, I am sure I would have been very embarrassed. It makes me wonder how often this happens.

Well I suppose it does happen more than we thought, blimey!

I dont know about cheers when we eventually boarded but there were a few very straight faces checking us in at the onboard reception desk.:o

Pretty much the same as you report, the portside staff were lovely and kept telling us that he would make it, I just thought we were going home and that was it, I cried when he turned up.:rolleyes:

If you are in a chair life is so much more difficult, but not all chair users have the same difficulties. They have the same issues as everyone else in that they may have to stay in a hotel the day before, or, they may arrive early as they have had to plan for all eventualities on their journey - but having long periods of waiting at a terminal when you are: exhausted from the effort of getting in and out of cars, getting to the loo, finding something to eat, making sure you have enough medication such as oxygen, carry luggage which could be more excessive due to the need to carry extra things linked to having a disability, having to push/be pushed (without taking into account age - we all know how much more tired we feel than we did 10 years ago!) etc. makes things challenging without the worry of not knowing when you will be allowed to board. When you think about it people in chairs and those who care for them do remarkably well to cruise at all! It is my opinion that P&O will have a blanket rule about adhering to times BUT the staff at the terminal also have the ability to make a discretionary decision on the day. I would hope they would therefore allow wheelchair users to board as a priority on arrival. If they don't, I suggest the decision makers try life in a chair for a couple of days.....

Wow so true, are you in a chair Florry?

there is a website

http://disabledpocruisers.co.uk/Disabled_P%26O_Cruisers/Home.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My husband is in a wheelchair and we are on C deck so a late boarding time will be given. We stay over in southampton and in the past we have gone to the terminal about 11.30. The hotel we have booked has a 12 oclock check out time so I will be trying to kill a bit of time and arrive at the terminal a little later than usual but certainly not at 3.30 but I will sit patiently until I am allowed on without any fuss but with a bit of luck someone will take us on a bit earlier than our check in time.

Stockton, which ship are you on? We are on c deck on aurora.

Given a time of 2.30 f you get assistance, you may very well get

Taken straight to check in. I am hoping this is the case for

We two. Dear wife in the chair. To date, this has always been the case.

We shall see on the day.

I'll let you know what happens (or doesn't happen) to us lol....

I am so excited as we have never been in a mini suite before!

Lucky you!! Mini suites on Oceana are really spacious. After having one on Oceana we booked one on Arcadia , we were disappointed as it was nowhere near as good.

Have a great cruise.:)

Wow so true, are you in a chair Florry?

there is a website

http://disabledpocruisers.co.uk/Disabled_P%26O_Cruisers/Home.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Jason, I'm not in a chair but Spent many years caring for a family member with an inherited lung disease which put him in a chair [emoji21] so I know all the difficulties...

Edited by Florry

Stockton, which ship are you on? We are on c deck on aurora.

Given a time of 2.30 f you get assistance, you may very well get

Taken straight to check in. I am hoping this is the case for

We two. Dear wife in the chair. To date, this has always been the case.

We shall see on the day.

We don't go until July next year so hopefully all the teething problems will be sorted. Enjoy your cruise.

Update : It's on the Personaliser already. It's now 12 30!!!!

I am really chuffed. It's only a 2 night cruise, but I am so looking forward to sampling a Mini Suite and a very early embarkation time is a special treat as I was on the delayed Ventura 2 nighter recently where we all lost time onboard.

This was a Select Booking made 11 months ago when I hopefully ticked the Upgrade Box - so thank, P&O Upgrade Fairy.

PS Thank you all for your good wishes on this too - and jean, I have sent you a PM on Facebook. Check your 'Other ' Message Box maybe?

Edited by Scriv

I am really chuffed. It's only a 2 night cruise, but I am so looking forward to sampling a Mini Suite and a very early embarkation time is a special treat as I was on the delayed Ventura 2 nighter recently where we all lost time onboard.

This was a Select Booking made 11 months ago when I hopefully ticked the Upgrade Box - so thank, P&O Upgrade Fairy.

PS Thank you all for your good wishes on this too - and jean, I have sent you a PM on Facebook. Check your 'Other ' Message Box maybe?

Brilliant news, I'm really pleased for you! Are you going soon?

Yes - two weeks on Saturday. Quality time away with my adult daughter:)

Great, I've just had a look and you get everything the same a a suite just without the Butler by the looks of things. So the champagne will be on ice when you get there! I've got 11 days and can't wait, going with friends we met on a previous cruise [emoji106]🏼

So I get the champagne too in a Mini Suite? Oh wow. So excited. :)

Hope you have a lovely cruise too with your friends. We now cruise with friends we met on our first cruise - we were on the same table. Enjoy!

Edited by Scriv

Great result Scriv. Enjoy!!!:D