Azura - New Improved Embarkation Process

FAB1

I honestly don't think there would be much revenue lost by people boarding later. A lot of people don't start spending money in the bars until the evening. there might be a few who want to start drinking as soon as they board, but not that many. The shops aren't open anyway, so where is the revenue loss?

P&O have been giving boarding times for ages now and obviously if everybody is just ignoring it, they will have to do something. We arrive usually about 1 to 1.30 and have never had a problem at all. But there myst be a problem at 11.30?

We have only been cruising since about 2008.

Started off with a fly cruise, with Thomson, so you boarded when you arrived.

Then Fred, which is turn up when you like, but boarding does not start until 2pm, only snacks in the terminal, and no lunch on the ship, so if you had late sitting you could be all day without food:eek::eek:

Then we made it to P and O. From what has been stated by Pando they were having up to half the ship arriving from 11.30am onwards (I have seen this myself when on a few B2B we have done)

There surely must have been heaving terminals , with a large number all trying to be first. We used to arrive about 12.30-1pm, and there were always a large numbers of people already there

So Pando have come up with this cunning plan, which people are moaning about, but amongst all the wailing there are postings from people turning up at their allocated time and being on board with in 20mins.

Anyway agreed P and O should maybe have managed how they let people know about the new boarding arrangements better.

You still have the problem of how to board a lot of people.

I know those who have been on American ships will say, we walked on at 11.30am, but for you to do that ,somebody would have to have walked off at 6.30am.

Do P and O cruisers want that?

Do a huge number of people board the likes of Anthem at the same time, or are people arriving throughout the afternoon?

I have watched the video of the person boarding Anthem, it took approx. 2 1/2mins, maybe when I board on the next cruise I will see how long it takes, but I doubt it will be much more than that. Cruisers causing delays by not having the passport and etickets to hand, and having to fish around in the suitcase, and other sundry things. (how many times when leaving the ship in a port have you been behind someone who doesn't have their cruise card in their hand, and has to start searching in their bags for them)

People say if it wasn't broke, but obviously as regards the logistics P and O felt they could not continue with people turning up earlier and earlier in ever increasing numbers (how many times on here have people posted in the past ,ignore the time on your ticket, turn up when you like)

I notice on the mayflower terminal thread people some people have said they did not know about the changes (not everyone is on the web) However on your eticket it does state a boarding time, and requests that you stick to it.

Would people be happier if they did away with providing lunch altogether, so you had to eat shore side?

What an absolutely fantastic post. Says it all in very simple terms I'll bet they still don't listen and its its the very people that are whinging about the changes that are causing the problems.

I too believe P&O are losing revenue by keeping people in the terminal. Even if you don't go for a drink in one of the bars on arrival on board a lot of people tend to buy drinks with their lunch.

Costa is also usually pretty busy with people buying hot drinks, even though you can get free hot drinks in the buffet.

There have often been guided tours on board when I have been boarding for a cruise. The ones I have seen are in smallish groups and at the end of their tour they all use one of the main restaurants for lunch, often the aft restaurant on Ventura/Azura which boarding passengers are not able to use anyway so that is not a valid reason to keep boarding passengers off as their paths will not cross anyway.

I honestly don't think there would be much revenue lost by people boarding later. A lot of people don't start spending money in the bars until the evening. there might be a few who want to start drinking as soon as they board, but not that many. The shops aren't open anyway, so where is the revenue loss?

P&O have been giving boarding times for ages now and obviously if everybody is just ignoring it, they will have to do something. We arrive usually about 1 to 1.30 and have never had a problem at all. But there myst be a problem at 11.30?

I agree that there is unlikely to be a great loss of revenue.

When we drive down we usually arrive between 12:30 - 13:30 and have never had much of a wait to board but I do understand why people who are staying overnight before the cruise are upset at having to leave their hotel room 3 or 4 hours before their boarding time. We usually drive down a day early but we don't stay in the centre of Southampton,we tend to stay about 45 minutes outside so that after we have had a leisurely breakfast and checked out we can have a pleasant drive to Southampton. The only time that we stayed at the Hilton Southampton we found that their coach got us to the dock at around 12:00 and the wait was slightly longer than we are used to but we put this down to it being the maiden voyage of the Britannia and thought that maybe a lot of people were anxious to get on board early. I would be interested to know whether the hotel coach transfers will be allowed to board when they arrive as has been said for the P&O coach transfers. I don't think that we will get a true view of the situation in December because we have chosen to take the P&O coach so expect to get there around 2pm and to board when we get there. If it looks like being a problem arriving at our usual time I guess we will probably look at taking the coach when we cruise with P&O, saving on a night in the hotel and parking will pay for the coach fare.

I am sure P&O have done extensive research on whether the loss of revenue would make any difference.

It seems they are not too concerned about what probably in the grand scheme of things, isn't too much of a concern.

Someone pointed out earlier that they spend the most money on the day arrive, which I find odd (only my opinion). I reckon all these new cruisers make up for more than that by spending much more over the duration of the cruise, which crosses out anything you spend on the first day. We're talking one day here and also perhaps a difference perhaps of 2/3 hours. Then we have others who may board earlier than they normally would as a result of the change and they're spending their money instead.

What also might be a lot of money you to may not be to someone else who spends.

Can anyone advise me when the boarding times are issued, as this has a relevance to which hotel I choose to book prior to our cruise (Azura to Norwegian Fjords in May). Have noted that several hotels in Southampton are already fully booked on the night prior to our cruise. Many thanks!

My best advice is to book a hotel near the terminal. Premier Inn West Quay has been suggested by many or Holiday Inn Herbert Walker Avenue or Grand Harbour Hotel opposite. The latter two give view of ship or harbour , not sure about Premier Inn as never stayed there but it is close. The Grand Harbour has a "Cruise Lounge" where you can sit from about 9am to late afternoon on the day of your cruise embarkation, enabling you to transfer at a time of your choosing; and have light snacks and soft drinks, tea and coffee etc. You do not have to be a resident to book this chargeable package which I believe includes a transfer by car to quayside and they will mind your luggage if you go shopping. It is a split tariff depending on if you do the standard or alcoholic drinks on the day. See Grand Harbour Hotel website for exact details phone the hotel if you have specific questions about the "Cruise Lounge". I think it is a useful service which is currently under used. I used it earlier this year at £12 pp and we had croissants, cranberry juice and coffees although the choice was wider and we chose our 15 minute transfer time to quayside off concierges list.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I have just booked the Premier Inn West Quay for the night before our Christmas cruise. We don't usually do this because of work commitments but as this cruise leaves on a Monday, and this thread has me concerned with boarding etc I thought I would be safe rather than sorry.

Got a great price - £29 for the room

OK I forgot about Costa and drinks with lunch but all in all I'm not sure it's a consideration. Agree about guided tours not making a scrap of difference.

Guided tours can make a difference. Check-in desks can open from 11.30 but apparently they now open at 12.45. So what are the check-in staff doing between 11.30 and 12.45? Checking in the day trippers perhaps ;)

I can see that a lot of people don't spend a lot on the first afternoon, in fact the problem is that the more cruises people have been on, the less their average spend is. Better to charge day trippers a few pounds and gain some revenue by keeping all the moaners off the ship for as long as possible :p

The Holiday Inn Herbert Walker Avenue has a check out time of 12.00. Most people who go there have an integrated quayside transfer in their hotel rate. Hotel uses West Quay cars and if you need transport reception will book you a taxi, you then pay the hotel receptionist.

Assuming you vacate your room by 12.00 you can wait in lobby until your name or room number is called out by a succession of taxi drivers who keep coming in the main entrance. You should have a good idea of when this will likely be as all taxis are provided at roughly the time the guest has pre-ordered it for. On return to the port after cruise you phone up to get your taxi back to the hotel to retrieve your car if you are on a park and stay package.

Not sure about Premier Inn, I should think it prudent to phone the local one you are staying at; not the call centre, reconfirming its precise location as there are a few in the Southampton area. I would want to know; check out time, if there are free/chargeable late check out options and if there is anywhere to sit with luggage while waiting for time to pass or any luggage storage facilities so I could go round town. It all depends really on what boarding time has been allocated because even if you get 3.30pm you can still go down to terminal; put your luggage through the hole in the wall and sit in the terminal using the snacks and light refreshments bar as an alternative. http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk should confirm your terminal if you are unsure.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

p&o say check in is by deck order what order i am d deck 3pm check in my friend A deck 3 pm check in

No one seems to know the definitive answer on this one and P&O are not telling :confused: An awful lot of passengers seem to have late check in times :(

I have just booked the Premier Inn West Quay for the night before our Christmas cruise. We don't usually do this because of work commitments but as this cruise leaves on a Monday, and this thread has me concerned with boarding etc I thought I would be safe rather than sorry.

That is a very good price. The hotel is popular. When I checked a few weeks ago it was about £70+ for Sunday night 30 November which I thought was quite steep for room only. We booked Premier Inn (City Centre New Road) at £35. It has no lounge and their restaurant only opens for breakfast and dinner.

If P&O really want passengers to adhere to their allocated check-in time it would be helpful if they gave check-in times much earlier than five weeks prior to departure. It would also be helpful to passengers wishing to book coach, train or airline travel. Generally it is cheaper to book train travel well in advance. The same for flights I guess.

I have done 20 cruises with p&o and I am getting very upset with constant changes to there system there loyalty programs has finished after this cruise that's it for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are Caribbean + level you get priority check in before main check in starts regardless of time on your ticket. If you should turn up after main check in starts, you will be fast tracked. Just let the ladies know when you first arrive.

My best advice is to book a hotel near the terminal. Premier Inn West Quay has been suggested by many or Holiday Inn Herbert Walker Avenue or Grand Harbour Hotel opposite. The latter two give view of ship or harbour , not sure about Premier Inn as never stayed there but it is close. The Grand Harbour has a "Cruise Lounge" where you can sit from about 9am to late afternoon on the day of your cruise embarkation, enabling you to transfer at a time of your choosing; and have light snacks and soft drinks, tea and coffee etc. You do not have to be a resident to book this chargeable package which I believe includes a transfer by car to quayside and they will mind your luggage if you go shopping. It is a split tariff depending on if you do the standard or alcoholic drinks on the day. See Grand Harbour Hotel website for exact details phone the hotel if you have specific questions about the "Cruise Lounge". I think it is a useful service which is currently under used. I used it earlier this year at £12 pp and we had croissants, cranberry juice and coffees although the choice was wider and we chose our 15 minute transfer time to quayside off concierges list.

Regards John

Sounded interesting so I checked it out on hotel website. The price is now £30 pp from 7 am to 7 pm.

We stay at the PI West Quay but there is only a very small area to wait after you leave your room at 12 noon.

We used to leave our hotel at 11:45 - 11:55, just before the chucking out time and never had to wait at check-in. Suited us perfectly, as we could have a drink onboard and sit and watch everybody arrive. It's become such a tradition now after so many cruises and is that moment when we heave a big sigh of relief that we're onboard and our holiday has started. We're not bothered about a free lunch.

Regards John

Just checked on the website and it's £30 pp.

This is what it says on their website under Cruising Lounge

If you are experiencing the enjoyment of a cruise from Southampton, the Grand Harbour Hotel has a unique Cruise Departure Lounge available for use. Whether you are staying the night before your cruise, or just need a place to relax and let the excitement build, then be sure to take advantage of our Cruise Departure Lounge on the day you depart.

This Cruise Departure Lounge is available from 7am until 7pm and includes light refreshments and continued use of the hotel facilities. Our concierge will take care of your luggage before arranging a transfer at a pre-arranged time for you directly to your cruise terminal.

The Grand Harbour Cruise Departure Lounge is also available pre or post cruise to all, regardless of whether you have stayed at the hotel.

Prices start from £30 per person.