Azura - New Improved Embarkation Process

FAB1

Sounded interesting so I checked it out on hotel website. The price is now £30 pp from 7 am to 7 pm.

That is correct but that figure includes booze. Without booze it is still £12.

I checked when we were there 4 weeks ago.

No one seems to know the definitive answer on this one and P&O are not telling :confused: An awful lot of passengers seem to have late check in times :(

The deck order has been published. I do not have a copy, been too busy cruising. But it does not go A,B,C,D,E They are mixed up so A could be with D for example.

If you are Caribbean or above just tell them and you will be fast tracked.

But only Ligurian get early boarding, which has not changed.

It seems to me that most of these arguments are at cross purposes. I don't think many people are saying that if they have a late boarding time, they will arrive early and expect to be let in early. They are saying they will arrive early to be sure of getting there, and if they get in early it's a bit of good luck; i f not, they'll wait in the terminal.

If anyone is trying to say that late boarding time people MUST NOT arrive early, that is ridiculous. Cars sitting outside the dock gates waiting their time would be pointless. Airports don't do it - there's no signs saying check in 2 hours before departure, no earlier and no later. Why should cruise lines?

I do think P&O have to be careful here and remember that they need paying passengers and have to find an acceptable system

One of the joys of sailing from the UK is not having to put up with airports - long check ins, delayed flights etc. If the cruise check in process becomes too unpleasant more people will fly and holiday elsewhere

Also a major difference with flying is that one tends to fly from a local airport an hour or two from home but to cruise from Southampton everyone is heading for the same place and as journeys can be quite lengthy there is a need to factor in contingency time.

It's just a pity that P&O have dealt with this in the opposite way to the American companies. They have obviously made sure that staff are available to turn around the rooms, streamlined their check in procedures and allowed passengers on earlier. P&O's answer is to delay check ins and give passengers no say in their check in time.

I do think P&O have to be careful here and remember that they need paying passengers and have to find an acceptable system

One of the joys of sailing from the UK is not having to put up with airports - long check ins, delayed flights etc. If the cruise check in process becomes too unpleasant more people will fly and holiday elsewhere

Also a major difference with flying is that one tends to fly from a local airport an hour or two from home but to cruise from Southampton everyone is heading for the same place and as journeys can be quite lengthy there is a need to factor in contingency time.

It's just a pity that P&O have dealt with this in the opposite way to the American companies. They have obviously made sure that staff are available to turn around the rooms, streamlined their check in procedures and allowed passengers on earlier. P&O's answer is to delay check ins and give passengers no say in their check in time.

It has been posted by P and O that they will continue to tweek the system for boarding. Don't ask me where now....

I don't think its that the American ships make sure they have enough staff to turn round the rooms quicker.

It has been posted that you do get kicked off earlier on them. Before the posters come on again and say they had sensible times to leave , somebody did post that disembarking starts 6am. The people who posted may have had later, but there would have been some getting off at 6am.

If you employ more staff it would effect your profit margin, so kick them off earlier, then you will be able to board the next lot on earlier.

The actual time with the ladies physically checking in..I would guess its not much different ...how long does a picture take...Its people having all the info in their hand that quickens things, not in their handbag, or one of their pockets etc.

It seems to me that most of these arguments are at cross purposes. I don't think many people are saying that if they have a late boarding time, they will arrive early and expect to be let in early. They are saying they will arrive early to be sure of getting there, and if they get in early it's a bit of good luck; i f not, they'll wait in the terminal

Some people have posted they will sit and wait ,others have posted that for whatever reason they have for turning up at 11.30am, they will expect to board then.

If they don't there will be pictures on facebook of "chaos at the terminal" etc. I am not on facebook but found I could read posts.

Luckily there were a few people who replied to poster saying it wasn't chaos in terminal it was people sitting and waiting to board who had turned up very early-as per normal as the cat said they could.

A point I have just made on the other Mayflower thread. I reallly don't care whether I can get on the ship early, have lunch or have to wait. I just want to be in or around the port in good time to allow me to embark.

Let me drop off my luggage, provide a shuttle and I'm happy to clear off for as many hours as necessary - but what I refuse to do is book a taxi to arrive at 3pm. How big a contingency do you build in - half an hour, one hour, two hours? That's such an unknown quantity that I'm not prepared to take the risk and therefore like many others arrive early if we're lucky enough not to have travel problems. Perhaps thinking outside of the box to acknowledge passengers' problems and concerns in this respect might help. (A shuttle to town? I'd much rather spend an hour or two in John Lewis than sitting in the terminal!!)

I am with you Kruzseeka. We travel a long way and would not want to take any chances with traffic. We always leave around 8 am, and have arrived at the Terminal at various times. I think shuttle buses should be provided into town so that there is a option for passengers.

With regards to spending, my family have a tradition to toast the start of their holiday with a glass or two of champagne so we do start spending as soon as we embark.

As Englishlady said in her very informative post, the embarkation process has had to change, let's hope it evolves towards the much more efficient American ships.

I quote from my eticket for 1 December departure

"We share your excitement to step aboard, so to ensure a swift embarkation, please arrive no earlier or later than your confirmed terminal arrival time. Should unforeseen circumstances cause you to run significantly late, please call ... ..."

How on earth can people arrive exactly on the dot of their embarkation time. This instruction will obviously need tweaking. It smacks of "you will obey orders". Try as we all might, it is impossible for everyone to arrive "no earlier or later".

We will try to arrive at the appointed hour, but there are no guarantees.

If you are Caribbean + level you get priority check in before main check in starts regardless of time on your ticket. If you should turn up after main check in starts, you will be fast tracked. Just let the ladies know when you first arrive.

Not anymore you don't, the only people who can board when they want are Ligurian tier and suite passengers, all others including Caribbean and Baltic should arrive at the time shown on their etickets..Caribbean and Baltic will then be given priority at that time...

Not anymore you don't, the only people who can board when they want are Ligurian tier and suite passengers, all others including Caribbean and Baltic should arrive at the time shown on their etickets..Caribbean and Baltic will then be given priority at that time...

I know this thread rolls on but after over 500 posts I am no clearer. I thought the latest info for Caribbean Grade was that they still board early ....... something about Ligurian 1st then Suites and then Caribbean - N,O and P cards ?

More confused than ever now.

Amusing post on roll call for B524A last week that the queues for boarding were already starting at 08:30am!!!!! Wonder whether there will be any moans about "chaos" and queues in any reviews? Sticking to times obviously working well. :)

Totally ridiculous to be queuing at 8.30am.

Totally ridiculous to be queuing at 8.30am.

Absolutely agree. I Have never understood the people who queue overnight for sales but at least they are hoping to save money on something, queuing for 4 or more hours just to board the ship slightly early is totally incomprehensible to me.

Edited by Josy1953

We'll be setting off from South Yorkshire at about 7:00am in January. Over 400 miles

I don't how many traffic jams we'll encounter. How many Road works, How many toilet breaks and there's the Weather to consider.

If we get there for say 12 ish, fine, If we get there for 3 ish also fine. But if we miss the ship not so fine

Once we had a road closed and had to be diverted. The sat nav didn't know what to do. I ended up going over 80 miles out of my way to just to get round it and it took me nearly 2 hours on top of our journey

Edited by zib_zib

We'll be setting off from South Yorkshire at about 7:00am in January. Over 400 miles

I don't how many traffic jams we'll encounter. How many Road works, How many toilet breaks and there's the Weather to consider.

If we get there for say 12 ish, fine, If we get there for 3 ish also fine. But if we miss the ship not so fine

Once we had a road closed and had to be diverted. The sat nav didn't know what to do. I ended up going over 80 miles out of my way to just to get round it and it took me nearly 2 hours on top of our journey

Well I am glad you are saying getting there at 3 is ok.....refreshing in this thread;)

How about you wait until your eticket is ready, check your time on that. Leave at the time you feel is best...but if you have no problems...have in the back pocket somewhere you could stop off near to Southampton so you arrive nearer to your slot. Might not be much fun driving that far and then sitting in the terminal for quite a while

Well I am glad you are saying getting there at 3 is ok.....refreshing in this thread;)

How about you wait until your eticket is ready, check your time on that. Leave at the time you feel is best...but if you have no problems...have in the back pocket somewhere you could stop off near to Southampton so you arrive nearer to your slot. Might not be much fun driving that far and then sitting in the terminal for quite a while

Now you're just talking common sense!:)

Me thinks you need a new sat nav. The journey to Southampton from Barnsley should only be about 230 miles. Mind you at your anticipated speed this should only take 3 hours.

The sat nav at the time was a phone app that kept loosing it's signal.

But this time I've got a new car with sat nav built in :)

Anyway there no point in rushing down. Where all in the same boat