Azura - New Improved Embarkation Process

FAB1

I agree that if they insist on giving out embarkation times, it needs to be done well in advance - and taking point of origin into consideration. We are flying in to Southampton early on Friday morning (arriving about 0930). Our check in is 1530! That's a long day to pass with luggage in tow - especially since those on the coaches will be checked in whenever they arrive!

We're aware of the Grand Harbour package - but really don't want to be sitting there for hours on end - with or without alcohol ;)

I agree that if they insist on giving out embarkation times, it needs to be done well in advance - and taking point of origin into consideration. We are flying in to Southampton early on Friday morning (arriving about 0930). Our check in is 1530! That's a long day to pass with luggage in tow - especially since those on the coaches will be checked in whenever they arrive!

We're aware of the Grand Harbour package - but really don't want to be sitting there for hours on end - with or without alcohol ;)

Except if you are getting into Southampton at 9.30am, you are going to have to sit somewhere.

Even if in a suite and a ligurian level which would be first boarding (probably coming up Southampton water!!!) you would not be getting on board until getting on for 12.30.

In that case your best bet is probably the grand harbour hotel lounge, or take your luggage to the hole in the wall-not sure what time that opens for a cruise...and then find something to do.

Under the old system you would not be able to go from airport to ship to board at 10.30 to 11am.

OK, some of you must have been processed through the new system now so :

Did you turn up early and get turned away ?

Did you turn up early and boarded as quickly as in the past ?

Did you travel by coach and if so how did they handle the fact that they had a coach load of passengers all with different boarding times ?

I am asking these questions because there seems to be a plethora of differing opinions as to what might happen.

I know this thread rolls on but after over 500 posts I am no clearer. I thought the latest info for Caribbean Grade was that they still board early ....... something about Ligurian 1st then Suites and then Caribbean - N,O and P cards ?

More confused than ever now.

We boarded Ventura just over 2 weeks ago and while we were happy with how it went for us I have no idea how it worked overall. Your confusion is merited :)

Why should "point of origin" affect any embarkation time? I agree the system of either providing them late or changing them seems a shambles but I don't agree where someone lives should give them any priority. I still think either hand them out (by whatever criteria - plenty have been suggested) and then stick to them or do away with them altogther and let all those who need to get on early turn up when they want and join teh back of the queue.

Disembarked Aurora yesterday. i'll do a full review when I've caught up on my sleep!

Basically, it was a wonderful cruise with the very start a bit overshadowed for me by the "New improved" boarding process about which I shall be writing to Chrisopher Edgington when I've assembled my thoughts in order.

I had 2 embarkation times because of an upgrade (to a deluxe balcony which was superb) with the upgrade actually having the later time !

I showed the first earlier timed ticket to the ladies who gave me a card. I arrived about 40 minutes before that earlier time and I was on board in 25 minutes. So the actual process, I think as long as you arrive within about an hour of your embarkation time, was very quick and easy. The main queue was at security not check in.

People who arrived more than an hour early were given red cards and made to sit and wait, while people arriving quite near were given green cards as I was.My letter was called after 10 minutes.

Suites, Ligurian, Baltic and Caribbeam got grey cards and were fast tracked. I also think they got earlier times.

Onboard I made an enquiry about a future cruise. I have 7 more nights to go before I am Caribbean tier so my next cruise I won't be. The Future Cruise Sales consultant informed me I had "no chance" of boarding before 3pm, and that wasn't going to change and that P and O "don't care what you think". Needless to say Edgington will have his name when I write. Nor did I book the cruise. I told him that if I had to go steerage for my next cruise I may as well take a Saver fare and save myself a lot of money. He wasn't much of a salesman!

So in conclusion, I think if you arrive within an hour of your time you'll get onboard quite quickly and painlessly, but if you come earlier you'll get a red card and sit waiting. Still doesn't solve the problem of being kicked out of hotels at 11am. Will probabaly go back to grand Harbour next time which will cost me more but has the Lounge. I didn't enjoy being laughed at in the Premier Inn by passengers on Anthem of the Seas boarding at 11.30 and telling me "You want to change your cruise company pet!" Maybe I do!

Disembarked Aurora yesterday. i'll do a full review when I've caught up on my sleep!

Basically, it was a wonderful cruise with the very start a bit overshadowed for me by the "New improved" boarding process about which I shall be writing to Chrisopher Edgington when I've assembled my thoughts in order.

I had 2 embarkation times because of an upgrade (to a deluxe balcony which was superb) with the upgrade actually having the later time !

I showed the first earlier timed ticket to the ladies who gave me a card. I arrived about 40 minutes before that earlier time and I was on board in 25 minutes. So the actual process, I think as long as you arrive within about an hour of your embarkation time, was very quick and easy. The main queue was at security not check in.

People who arrived more than an hour early were given red cards and made to sit and wait, while people arriving quite near were given green cards as I was.My letter was called after 10 minutes.

Suites, Ligurian, Baltic and Caribbeam got grey cards and were fast tracked. I also think they got earlier times.

Onboard I made an enquiry about a future cruise. I have 7 more nights to go before I am Caribbean tier so my next cruise I won't be. The Future Cruise Sales consultant informed me I had "no chance" of boarding before 3pm, and that wasn't going to change and that P and O "don't care what you think". Needless to say Edgington will have his name when I write. Nor did I book the cruise. I told him that if I had to go steerage for my next cruise I may as well take a Saver fare and save myself a lot of money. He wasn't much of a salesman!

So in conclusion, I think if you arrive within an hour of your time you'll get onboard quite quickly and painlessly, but if you come earlier you'll get a red card and sit waiting. Still doesn't solve the problem of being kicked out of hotels at 11am. Will probabaly go back to grand Harbour next time which will cost me more but has the Lounge. I didn't enjoy being laughed at in the Premier Inn by passengers on Anthem of the Seas boarding at 11.30 and telling me "You want to change your cruise company pet!" Maybe I do!

This all seems a bit complicated. I have a boarding time of 3pm on Ventura in December, which I find irritating as I am normally on board by 12.30 on other lines.

So, if I read this correctly, if I arrive at 1.55 I get a red card and have to wait. But someone also with the same boarding time who arrives at 2.05 (ten minutes later) gets a green card. Do I end up boarding after that person? When does my red card get called?

This all seems a bit complicated. I have a boarding time of 3pm on Ventura in December, which I find irritating as I am normally on board by 12.30 on other lines.

So, if I read this correctly, if I arrive at 1.55 I get a red card and have to wait. But someone also with the same boarding time who arrives at 2.05 (ten minutes later) gets a green card. Do I end up boarding after that person? When does my red card get called?

As I understand it, it should be at 3:00 unless things are quiet then you'll be let on earlier, but......

This is a total shambles and P&O needs to contact everyone who has a booking, via their cruise personaliser at the very least. They need to be ashamed of themselves. I am a P&O fan but I do think communications have been appalling on this matter. I emailed them for clarification and I thought I knew what would happen but now I am thoroughly confused as so many people have had conflicting information or experiences.

Me thinks you need to grant the ladies who hand out the cards a bit of common sense as to who gets what.

Once people start sticking to the times they are given (there or thereabouts, not to the minute!!!) people will have an idea how things are working under this new system. Some have already posted that by arriving much nearer to the time they were given, they have been on board quickly and smoothly.

At the moment you still have people turning up hours before and having to sit in the terminal. They are not the ones you listen to as to how the system is working. Why do you not listen to them -because they are not giving the new system a chance.

As I understand it, it should be at 3:00 unless things are quiet then you'll be let on earlier, but......

This is a total shambles and P&O needs to contact everyone who has a booking, via their cruise personaliser at the very least. They need to be ashamed of themselves. I am a P&O fan but I do think communications have been appalling on this matter. I emailed them for clarification and I thought I knew what would happen but now I am thoroughly confused as so many people have had conflicting information or experiences.

TBF I think the shambles mainly exists on this thread, and other social media no doubt. P&O has given everyone a time at which they should check in, that in itself should be quite simple, however........

TBF I think the shambles mainly exists on this thread, and other social media no doubt. P&O has given everyone a time at which they should check in, that in itself should be quite simple, however........

It's not simple if you don't want it to be ...... ;)

It will indeed if people don't listen to the request to arrive 5 hours later and everyone still arrives together at the terminal.

Are you on a coach, DC?

I read that they are currently planning to sail at 10pm.

I didn't enjoy being laughed at in the Premier Inn by passengers on Anthem of the Seas boarding at 11.30 and telling me "You want to change your cruise company pet!" Maybe I do!

Personally I would have replied I prefer to go on a ship that looks like a ship, not a floating block of flats, with overpriced drinks, that is just American tat

. My personal view on things just in case somebody posts how wonderful the monstrosity is.

I didn't enjoy being laughed at in the Premier Inn by passengers on Anthem of the Seas boarding at 11.30 and telling me "You want to change your cruise company pet!" Maybe I do!

Personally I would have replied I prefer to go on a ship that looks like a ship, not a floating block of flats, with overpriced drinks, that is just American tat

. My personal view on things just in case somebody posts how wonderful the monstrosity is.

I had a brilliant cruise on her earlier this month, preferred her to Britannia and I loved Britannia.

Exactly on 2 Britannia cruises it was never mentioned at all. It's just the same people moan moan moan about any change.

I cannot believe the rubbish which is being posted. Green cards Red cards.

If you are priority you get Grey. After that you get the colour/letter which matches your embarkation time. If red is for 15.00 the you get red whenever you turn up. If you arrive early because of transport then go to the terminal put your luggage in and go and do something else. If you do not mind waiting then go in and wait.

It would appear that your time is allocated by your deck and nothing else.

If you are on a coach, your times are superseded by the coach arrival time. They are arranging that all the coaches do not all arrive together.

If you are on a coach, your times are superseded by the coach arrival time. They are arranging that all the coaches do not all arrive together.

Dai, would it be a good idea to hang about outside until a coach turns up; if they do not arrive all at the same time, and sort of join in?

Regards John

Exactly on 2 Britannia cruises it was never mentioned at all. It's just the same people moan moan moan about any change.

I cannot believe the rubbish which is being posted. Green cards Red cards.

If you are priority you get Grey. After that you get the colour/letter which matches your embarkation time. If red is for 15.00 the you get red whenever you turn up. If you arrive early because of transport then go to the terminal put your luggage in and go and do something else. If you do not mind waiting then go in and wait.

It would appear that your time is allocated by your deck and nothing else.

Thanks Dai - who gets priority ?

Can't seem to get a definitive answer to when Caribbean board

Edited by bee-ess

Thanks Dai - who gets priority ?

Can't seem to get a definitive answer to when Caribbean board

Yes that seems to be a 'grey' area, however I seem to think they go on after the suites and Ligurian's. Or if they arrive later than that, on arrival. Not all higher tier passengers turn up early.

There has been lost of speculation before cruises but the only Caribbean and Baltic reviews I have seen said they got on quite early.

For Britannia, checkin started about 12.15 for suites etc. But then you waited in the priority lounge until boarding started at 12.45, or a little after.

The Priority bun fight did not start until 13.30