Azura - New Improved Embarkation Process

FAB1

Im not a fan of this change. We normally drive down on the day, a journey of approx 5 hours, and aim to get there at around noon normally to allow for delays en route. We would have to kill time somewhere before our allocated time with our wheelchair bound Mum in tow. In reality anyone driving down or using public transport on the day would be mad to plan to arrive at their allocated time slot as any delay could mean a missed departure so most would be forced to arrive earlier and wait in a packed departure hall.

The big benefit of a Southampton departure is the ease of boarding and knowing you can be on board for lunch. They have managed just fine boarding Azura/Ventura for the last few years so why change it now? I suppose they will save food consumption in the buffet!

We have check in slots on Anthem of the Seas next week but you choose your own slot when doing the online check in. Not allocated a random slot by the cruise line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have one more cruise booked from Southampton but have already booked a fly cruise with another company for next year.

With a journey of 6 or 7 hours it has always been a bit of a hassle sailing from Southampton but knowing that we had a long window for embarking when we arrived was a great bonus. We have to allow at least a couple of hours for problems on route, knowing that we may have to kill time for hours when we get there has made a fly cruise more attractive as we can fly from a local airport and when you start looking around there are better deals than P & O are offering. We used to only cruise with P and O but time to move on.

Incidentally we have never had any waits of over an hour to embark on any of P and Os three largest ships in seven cruises. I think they have panicked because of teething problems with Britannia. They are saying that people want their cabin ready when they embark, we are quite happy to wait. It seems the real reason is the increase in ship tours, I really think people are going to try other cruise lines and they will lose people that were loyal to P and O.

An increase in ship tours might account for the checkin desks opening later too. I imagine ship tours are quite lucrative at £25 a head. They certainly wouldn't admit this is the reason they are making their passengers wait till later to board.

I think its time they came clean about the reason for the changes, I don't believe its because passengers have said they want their cabins ready on boarding and if it is perhaps they could tell us how they know this.

We are booked on a RCI ship from Southampton next year, which is our 2nd time with that company. We have been on P&O twice before, but on Caribbean cruises. It seems in Barbados better organised there, because the flight arrival times normally provide sufficient gaps for organised booking in. My last experience of RCI was horrendous, but i think it was the booking in clerk who cocked up. We had priority boarding, came by coach at 1pm and it took 45 minutes to get our sea pass cards. But reading other posts it would appear our experience was a one off.

Edited by Mark-Sheffield

You know, as a keen follower of the Royal boards on here Ive not read one single criticism of the pre-selection of boarding times. Not from their highest loyalty members or first time cruisers. The system just works. Its logical and fair and more especially its non elitist. It works for a ship far bigger than P&Os biggest ship yet P&O just keep stepping back in time with their blinkered approach. I would like P&O to compete, not flounder.

Kevin

Do you think its because people who cruise with RC are more open as to how things operate and more likely to fall in with the ships requirements.

As by the number of views and posts on this and the Caribbean tier thread P and O cruisers seem to not like change. So is it Pando or is it Passengers.

I feel that if P and O go down the path of selection of boarding when booking, people will still turn up at a time that suits THEM, rather than what they had to accept, as their chosen boarding time was full. This is based on what has been posted on here.

Nobody complained about P&Os old system which is why we can't understand why they changed it. It has worked for many years with large ships like Ventura and Azura.

RCI and Celebrity start boarding much earlier than P&O do which is why I think they are no complaints from their passengers as they are all on board at a reasonable time.

I don't think people would be complaining so much about P&Os new system if they started boarding earlier so everyone is on board earlier. I think its the fact that many people are being given such late boarding times rather than the fact P&O are trying to enforce times.

Nobody complained about P&Os old system which is why we can't understand why they changed it. It has worked for many years with large ships like Ventura and Azura.

RCI and Celebrity start boarding much earlier than P&O do which is why I think they are no complaints from their passengers as they are all on board at a reasonable time.

I don't think people would be complaining so much about P&Os new system if they started boarding earlier so everyone is on board earlier. I think its the fact that many people are being given such late boarding times rather than the fact P&O are trying to enforce times.

ahha faint glimmer of understanding....

Exactly!!!!! Most people on our cruise roll call have been given 3 or 3.30pm which just can't be a coincidence. I for one don't want to be rushed for muster after I get on at 3.30 pm, well that is if I get on at that time:(

Those boarding times at 3.00 to 3.30pm are unacceptable. When other companies can manage to get most of the passengers on by early afternoon, why can't P&O ? Bizarre !!! What if you have stopped in a nearby hotel after travelling down the night before. What are those passengers going to do for 6 hours ?

Those boarding times at 3.00 to 3.30pm are unacceptable. When other companies can manage to get most of the passengers on by early afternoon, why can't P&O ? Bizarre !!! What if you have stopped in a nearby hotel after travelling down the night before. What are those passengers going to do for 6 hours ?

I cannot believe that P&O are doing this to upset passengers. They must have a good reason. Those who travel great distances that entail an overnight stop before embarkation could perhaps book a hotel en route rather in Southampton. Compared with airports and flights being scheduled very early or late, a boarding time of 3:00 seems greatly convenient. My cruise next month has given me a check in time of 2:00 to 2:30. I have a three hour drive and will leave home with the intention of arriving at the terminal around 1:30 to allow time for CPS to take the car and for us to get to check in. If we have to wait for 20 minutes or so then I don't consider that unreasonable. I just hope I am not delayed by those with checkin times of 3:00 - 3:30 pushing in.

I could not agree more. P&O saying this is so passengers can have their cabins available when they board is utter twaddle.. P&O continue to row backwards when other lines move forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cunard start boarding at 12 noon and staterooms always have been ready. Same question as above - what are P & O doing that doesn't facilitate this? Disembarkation starts at 7.30 am on most ships, don't think P & O ships get in any later than others so what is there problem!

Exactly - and we were given 4pm as our boarding time !!!!!! :mad:

They say that people have asked to get straight to their cabins - sorry I think that this is an excuse for them changing the arrangements. It worked before, so if it 'aint broken why try to fix it and upset so many people ???:confused:

Just found this on P&O website FAQs. Don't remember seeing this last time I looked.

"Your check in time is stated on your ticket and you should aim to check in as close as possible to that time.

We stagger check in for all guests to ease congestion at the terminal and surrounding roads, however unavoidable circumstances sometimes happen and you may find that you are at the terminal earlier or later than your stated check in time.

"Whilst arriving early is not an issue as there is seating and refreshment areas at the terminals we would like to remind you that you may have to wait and that luggage processing will not start until 11am, with check-in opening at 12.45pm.

Arriving later than planned may be a problem, depending on how late you are, however as a general rule, you should aim to arrive by 2.30pm for Adonia, 3.00pm for Aurora, Oriana, Oceana, Arcadia and 3.30pm at the latest for cruises on Britannia, Azura & Ventura.

All guests must be on board at least an hour before the cruise departs."

So checkin doesn't open till 12.45 now and they say latest time to arrive is 3.30 for Britannia, Azura & Ventura. This seems to contradict the times they have been giving people 😕

Just found this on P&O website FAQs. Don't remember seeing this last time I looked.

"Your check in time is stated on your ticket and you should aim to check in as close as possible to that time.

We stagger check in for all guests to ease congestion at the terminal and surrounding roads, however unavoidable circumstances sometimes happen and you may find that you are at the terminal earlier or later than your stated check in time.

"Whilst arriving early is not an issue as there is seating and refreshment areas at the terminals we would like to remind you that you may have to wait and that luggage processing will not start until 11am, with check-in opening at 12.45pm.

Arriving later than planned may be a problem, depending on how late you are, however as a general rule, you should aim to arrive by 2.30pm for Adonia, 3.00pm for Aurora, Oriana, Oceana, Arcadia and 3.30pm at the latest for cruises on Britannia, Azura & Ventura.

All guests must be on board at least an hour before the cruise departs."

So checkin doesn't open till 12.45 now and they say latest time to arrive is 3.30 for Britannia, Azura & Ventura. This seems to contradict the times they have been giving people 😕

Well I will just make it having been given 3.30 pm :D:D

We have 3:45 so we'll be waving everyone else off.

Though I have great sympathy for the locals who will have the congestion of about 4-5,000 cars all trying to get to the docks for 12:30.

We will aim for 15-20 mins before our allocated time and give P&O the benefit of the doubt and trust that there will not be long queues when we get there. We'll plan our trip from London accordingly.

Bon Voyage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why don't hotels check you in until after 2pm.

I guess they want to have cabins ready for embarkation as it's a real hassle for the stewards to work whilst passengers are interrupting them, dashing down the narrow corridors "just dropping our hand luggage before going to the restaurant/bar/spa etc, don't mind us". Also that joy of getting to the buffet to find the tables are occupied by people nursing their coffee and the 2 other seats being used for carry on bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by manonabike

Just read back some of the latter posts and a tad confused...:confused:

From what I'm reading P & O had embarkation down to a fine art. It ran like clockwork. It wasn't broke...blah blah blah and my favourite one...No one complained...:D all was happy in embarkation land.

Then one day, P & O decided to change all of this wonderful experience of boarding and upset everyone by making it more difficult to board for just about every reason anyone can think of to make them take notice.

Is this the case or it just a few on here where in the grand scheme of things, won't make a single bit of difference to what P&O choose to do.

Not aimed at anyone but this is really becoming ridiculous. I think the ones who shout about other boarding procedures and the fact P & 0 will 'miss my money' by not boarding me an hour beforehand, should just stick to these ships.

The rest of us can just get on with the new boarding process and not have to listen and put up with the moans and groans when we arrive at our allocated boarding times.

Happy cruising y'all...:D

I had another thought now..if anyone is good at maths..i may try later in the day..

pick a ship..lets say Aurora, so not one of the big ones...

Take out the number of suites/mini suites on the shipX2, so you can take that number of people out of the equation.

Take another 200 out who are say Caribbean.

what you are left with divide by the number of hours between 1pm and 3.30pm to give some idea of how many people they are hoping to board in each hour.

I guess at least 50 each half hour would be a coach turning up...

I have stuff to do now, but later on today I will try and work the above out.....

Just a thought, are p&o putting on an increasing number of day visits and lunches.

I know several people who have done one on Britannia. Although not huge it's a source of revenue and marketing- could that be a reason to try and encourage the rest of us on later?

I only live about 30 mins from the port and my next cruise's boarding time is 3pm - the last one on Oceana if we go by the statement above. So I don't think times are allocated by how far away we live.

I am thinking to arrive about just 20 mins before this - one of the main reasons being that I don't fancy sitting around the terminal for hours if they stick to this new plan. At the moment there is one small refreshment stand in Ocean Terminal with a cup of tea at £1 85 - does anyone know if there is anything at all at the Mayflower terminal?

Edited by Scriv

Most things that upset passengers are usually started by cost cutting. Someone will have worked it out that by starting later staff at check in will be paid less ... Fewer people on the ship for lunch ... Save .. Save ... Passengers buying more refreshments in the terminal ... Someone will have added the pennies up to make pounds .... We have Caribbean loyalty tier but have done our last cruise with P&O. This embarkation nonsense just shows the company in yet another poor light. I'm surprised they haven't started sailing so late no one has to board until the restaurants have closed. Better not give them any more ideas.