RCC & TAs & OBCs

murdock11

hi folks,

i've read a bunch of posts about transferring a RCC booking to a TA in order to get an OBC but i'm reluctant to pull the trigger because it sounds too good to be true! i guess i'm looking for a virtual pat on the head and "it'll be okay" :) can folks help me out with a few questions?

1. is it really as easy as it sounds?

2. should i let RCC know as i'm making the reservation that i'm going to transfer it to a TA? or keep my mouth shut?

3. the price for our sailing is currently the highest i've ever seen it - BOGOHO is so bogus. if RCC drops their price, would the average online TA (and i'm considering one that i frequently see on this site) be likely to contact RCC to get the new price for me if i ask or are we stuck with the original price?

4. anything i need to watch out for or monitor?

thanks so much for your help!

jody

Royal does not need to know that you may be transferring the booking to a TA.

Before you transfer (or book with a TA), you need to ask them if they will grant you price drops, are there change fees, are there cancel fees, and if they grant you a price drop, will they remove any perks.

I also ask them if they charge my credit card directly, or do they let Royal charge the credit card. I prefer having Royal charge the credit card, in case something goes wrong at the travel agency.

Edited by clarea

I've read the same posts, and I've always booked my own stuff in the past. So I went to one of the one's I've seen on here website and asked for more info.

The next day I got a call from a TA based out of California, I was driving at the time so couldn't really ask a bunch of questions so I will be calling back this coming Monday and plan on asking all those questions and more.

We booked this cruise for next week via RCCL and then transferred to an online TA - total nightmare.... I've gone through 3 different TA's and still haven't found one with this company that is capable of replying to an email or picking up the phone.

We booked 4 rooms, 12 people total and they're acting like I'm bothering them.

They refused to give us printed amenities listings and when we had a price drop on one of the 4 rooms it was like pulling teeth to get them to call RCCL and have it honored - I've spent more time on the phone with this cruise than I every have before and I'm totally turned off

It's so not worth the OBC that we got (and we got a LOT) - I would give it all back in a heart beat to be allowed to call RCCL and deal with my concerns myself

We booked this cruise for next week via RCCL and then transferred to an online TA - total nightmare.... I've gone through 3 different TA's and still haven't found one with this company that is capable of replying to an email or picking up the phone.

We booked 4 rooms, 12 people total and they're acting like I'm bothering them.

They refused to give us printed amenities listings and when we had a price drop on one of the 4 rooms it was like pulling teeth to get them to call RCCL and have it honored - I've spent more time on the phone with this cruise than I every have before and I'm totally turned off

It's so not worth the OBC that we got (and we got a LOT) - I would give it all back in a heart beat to be allowed to call RCCL and deal with my concerns myself

Unfortunately, you have transferred your cruise to the wrong agency. I suggest that the TA to be screened & selectd prior to the transferring any cruise. There are some wonderful TAs out there and their entire operation revolves around the cruise line industry. Once you have selected a TA, the rest is EZ-P-EZ. Bob has identified the key questions that need to be asked and answers received.

To assist, there is a good website that will help you select a TA based on several things. I can't list it of course, but beleive this. Google is your friend and then surf a bit, you'll find it!

Best of luck!

I've read the same posts, and I've always booked my own stuff in the past. So I went to one of the one's I've seen on here website and asked for more info.

The next day I got a call from a TA based out of California, I was driving at the time so couldn't really ask a bunch of questions so I will be calling back this coming Monday and plan on asking all those questions and more.

oh it would be great if you could report back on what you find out. i'm going to call the online TA i have in mind and i'll do the same.

it's funny about OBCs. if someone offered me $50 to make a few phone calls and surf the web for them, i'd think it's not worth my time. but to get a $50 OBC from a cruise line or a TA, i will happily spend hours if not days on the phone or computer! and ditto to get the best deal on the cruise fare.

Edited by murdock11

hi folks,

i've read a bunch of posts about transferring a RCC booking to a TA in order to get an OBC but i'm reluctant to pull the trigger because it sounds too good to be true! i guess i'm looking for a virtual pat on the head and "it'll be okay" :) can folks help me out with a few questions?

1. is it really as easy as it sounds?

2. should i let RCC know as i'm making the reservation that i'm going to transfer it to a TA? or keep my mouth shut?

3. the price for our sailing is currently the highest i've ever seen it - BOGOHO is so bogus. if RCC drops their price, would the average online TA (and i'm considering one that i frequently see on this site) be likely to contact RCC to get the new price for me if i ask or are we stuck with the original price?

4. anything i need to watch out for or monitor?

thanks so much for your help!

jody

Here's something to consider. The OBC you get will depend upon the cost of the cruise you're booking. One agency I'm aware of generally will give about 8% of the cruise fare for OBC. Now, that can be a bunch of cash if you're looking at a high end suite. If you're looking at a seven day inside, not so much. That will go a long way to explaining why some don't see using a TA as being that big an advantage. Just depends upon how much you will spend.

I booked my first two cruises through the cruise lines. As I spent more time on Cruise Critic, I learned a lot about TAs, discounts, and OBC. Now, I wouldn't think about booking directly with a cruise line. I have two TAs I use (which of course I can't name). I ask each of them for a quote on a cruise telling them the cabin category, itinerary, ship, and date. They both know I'm getting multiple quotes and know I will go with the one with the sharpest pencil.

I do not book with the line and transfer, I book directly with the agencies. I usually get something exceeding 10% in discounts, perks, or OBC.

Another factor. I would suggest you do what I do. Contact multiple agencies and get multiple quotes. Some will want to play and some won't. Drop the ones that won't play and go on from there.

Ask the questions Clarea suggested too.

Another suggestion. Take a few minutes and review the agencies you already have a relationship with. Sometimes, you will find that these agencies provide travel services. When I say agencies, I mean things like big box discount stores, credit cards, insurance companies, senior citizens agencies, etc. Go to their websites and see if they do offer travel. See what kinds of deals they have. Another thing, when you're on a cruise, ask the people you meet who they do business with.

One final remark. I book suites and price drops on suites are, in my experience, rare. However, I booked a cruise on Princess for 2017. A couple of months later, Princess came out with a new promo. I sent the TA I booked with an email and asked if I qualified. A couple of hours later I received a new invoice adding included gratuities, a complimentary specialty dinner, and a bottle of wine. There was a small ($100) fare increase but it was more than offset by the $268 in promo. You will have to call and ask for price drops, but you will have to do that if you book with the cruise line too.

Yes, I know it might seem a bit scary to cut loose but I know a lot of people who save a bunch of money and wouldn't do it any other way.

Edit: One last edit. There are a lot of TA who advertise huge discounts which usually are calculated upon the brochure price which is like the window sticker on a new car. You don't pay that price do you? There are also some agencies that want you to pay a fee to be eligible for their benefits. Don't do that.

Edited by RocketMan275

Don't forget about warehouse and auto clubs. Of course I would not suggest joining them just for travel services, but don't forget memberships like this that you may already have that do offer travel services.

Why wouldn't you recommend joining for the travel services? Wouldn't one cruise with 8% OBC pay for the membership? BTW, you don't have to have one in your local area to join.

Just remember if there is a price drop your obc will most likely go down a bit. So sometimes it can be a trade off. But definitely go with a t/a you will get some awesome perks. Free dinners, spa treatments and obc.

There is a site out there that will search for the best perks for you, you put in your sailing date, ship, and room catagory and watch the quotes come back. Of course I can't say the name but they do a good job competing for you.

Why wouldn't you recommend joining for the travel services? Wouldn't one cruise with 8% OBC pay for the membership? BTW, you don't have to have one in your local area to join.

Well, I guess that's a good point! I wasn't really thinking of it that way. The other value I get from my memberships outweighs what I pay for them, so that OBC on the cruise was just a nice bonus.

One other note: Quite a few of the online agencies are only available Monday thru Friday until the early evening (eastern time). Think twice about dealing with these guys as you want to be dealing with a TA that is reachable when you want to reach them. Emailing them and waiting a few days on a price change may not always work out. Sometimes price drops may only be there for a few hours or a day or so. You want someone who will act quickly on your behalf.

A GREAT TA will monitor pricing for you and contact you when pricing changes (or even when a better cabin opens up).

Steve

I had the same fears you had. For our cruise in Feb. 2017 I put the cruise out to bid. Got some great offers. I then put a 24 hour courtesy hold on the room I wanted as it was the last aft cabin to be had. I then contacted the agency by phone that I wanted to use. We did a 3 way call to RC and took my hold off an put the deposit on the room I gave the down payment by phone directly to RC. The price of the room total is 2985 and I got 300 obc. Two weeks later the room price stayed the same and RC offered 50 obc. My agent told me if this ever happens to just call. She is off of Sat. but to call anyone there. I called and talked to another person who verified my numbers were correct and said she would take care of it and within 4 hours my invoice would show the new amount. Within 2 hours I had the new invoice with 350 obc. So far so good. Was very easy.

I always work the deals with a TA to get the maximum OBC. We just got back form the Oasis of the Seas and it was one of my best efforts yet by combining multiple promotions. Most travel agents do not allow combining RCCL and their promotions but mine does. So my latest deal.

Traveling Sept 5th in a deck 11 superior balcony ocean view cabin the total fare was $2,055 with all taxes and pre-paid gratuities ($168) under the old rate. Between a TA gift certificate OBC program, TA standard OBC, TA loyalty OBC and RCCL OBC my total OBC was $850. I know some will say impossible but I did do it but took took time, effort, and creative thinking to pull it off. I could have gotten another $400 in OBC if I had used my RCCL credit card OBC but I am thinking maybe I'll use that for a free cruise in the future.

I will admit it is getting harder and harder to get the good deals with OBC but if you're willing to spend some time and effort it is possible.

Edited by Karter

oh it would be great if you could report back on what you find out. i'm going to call the online TA i have in mind and i'll do the same.

i just talked to an online TA (open 24/7) and the guy said they honor price drops but the OBC may change. someone mentioned that in a reply. when i said we'd be booking 4 cabins he said not to worry that we'd keep the OBC regardless. i know i need that in writing somehow but it was nice that i didn't have to beg.

they'll also book connecting cabins even though i didn't see availability on their website. that was the main reason i wanted to book RCC first and then transfer. now i think i may just go with the TA.

hi guys mundane is Brianna oneill and I go on Royal Caribbean and I [emoji173]️ there ship. I just came back from one last month and I was on the anthem of the seas and that ship was not ok. I'm a diamond plus with rci and we do Royal Caribbean every year but we were shocked with service and the food was ok. but the room was had was horrible. but the ship was small but it was AWASOME because it was all high tech. but me and my family and we are a big family maybe 20 people come with us. are room 7128 we hated that room it was the worst room ever the beds were horrible. but I loved doing the flowrider. I love going on the flowrider bc I have been doing it for 12years and now since I'm 18 I have doing since I was 6. so actually I have been cruising with rci only no other cruises since I was born and my family we are all diamond plus. so we went party's and we loved seeing the shows except the comedy show that was horrible. but 99% on that ship was all British people. we were the only New Yorkers on that ship. well I hope u all enjoy my review on the anthem of the seas. I recommend the tours in Rome Italy like the wine tasting and I recommend the tour guide I forgot his name but if you go on to a tour in spin ask the tour guid if they remember a a family name the powers and the oneill family. and my name on YouTube is rcfr1234 rcfr bc I will be post some videos from the ship well enjoy the day

Just got off the phone.

1 & 2. My primary question/concern was transferring a cruise booked on board. The TA encouraged me to do it that way as the transfer was easy as a phone call or email with the booking number. If they had a deal available for that cruise I would get thier price and any of the "perks" they had to offer. They absolute worst case scenario was that she would have to cancel my booking and re-book the only thing it would cost me is the amount of OBC I got from Royal for booking on board if I opted to use it on the cruise I booked it from.

3. I asked about if I found a lower price while monitoring RCCL's board (which I did, $300 worth on our up coming 10/4 cruise) is it just a matter of a phone call/email to get the price adjusted? She said yes, but the phone call/email would originate from her or she isn't really doing her job then. (Great answer, I'll still be monitoring though just to make sure until I get to know her better). She also informed me that any OBC would be reduced as it is tied to the price, and it could eliminate any extra perks like free specialty restaurant or drink package stuff.

I will be booking with her for next years cruise, we will see. Bottom line if I don't like it, I can just go back to doing it all myself.

Just got off the phone.

1 & 2. My primary question/concern was transferring a cruise booked on board. The TA encouraged me to do it that way as the transfer was easy as a phone call or email with the booking number. If they had a deal available for that cruise I would get thier price and any of the "perks" they had to offer. They absolute worst case scenario was that she would have to cancel my booking and re-book the only thing it would cost me is the amount of OBC I got from Royal for booking on board if I opted to use it on the cruise I booked it from.

3. I asked about if I found a lower price while monitoring RCCL's board (which I did, $300 worth on our up coming 10/4 cruise) is it just a matter of a phone call/email to get the price adjusted? She said yes, but the phone call/email would originate from her or she isn't really doing her job then. (Great answer, I'll still be monitoring though just to make sure until I get to know her better). She also informed me that any OBC would be reduced as it is tied to the price, and it could eliminate any extra perks like free specialty restaurant or drink package stuff.

I will be booking with her for next years cruise, we will see. Bottom line if I don't like it, I can just go back to doing it all myself.

We always book on board and RCI automatically transfers our booking to our TA. We have used the same cruise specific TA for all of our bookings, and would never consider the " on line discount TA" seems like they are more of a ticket broker than an actual TA. We have a personal e-mail and cell phone for our TA and can and have gotten her help on a minutes notice during very non business hours up to and including booking my DW a flight home from St. Martin on the agencies account for a family medical emergency so that the rest of us could continue our vacation. ( cost of last min. flight would've crushed the budget ) No amount of OBC can replace personal service. For the record she also take very good care of us as far as price drops and adding perks.

Edited by kike368

I've used a TA for the last 4 years and happily satisfied. I wait for their 4 big sales though out the year, around the holidays and get not only obc's, but also on some cruises they offer prepaid grats and dinner for 2 at specialty restaurants. Recently called them to apply the 30/30 promo from RCL and reduced my cost dramatically on the Anthem (August' '16) and Navigator (Feb. '17.) Prices of cruises were sufficient that it did not impact the percs.

The only downside is the $50 per cancellation fee and since it is for the 2 of us this, hopefully, will never apply. On the other hand, I treated my kids to a cruise on Oasis for the upcoming Easter week. Since there are 3 small grandchildren, I booked directly with RCL as the circumstances were different.

my gf insisted that we use her travel agent friend and we received no obc or goodies. i had her call her friend and she hasn't returned the call.

i think we got screwed. we head out on ios on 10/4.

Edited by gammite