First Time on the Spirit

Gourmet Gal

We haven't been on Silversea for about 7-8 years (Cloud & Shadow) having more or less "jumped ship" for Seabourn. I certainly don't want to start an "us vs. THEM" discussion at all. My feeling is it's a great thing to be able to sail with either one - any day where the main concern is steak or lobster is a very good day ! I would like to get your updated thoughts since we are strongly considering - in fact have a hold on a cabin...err...suite for the 63 day Circle South America in Jan 17. From what I'm reading on the the boards, the Spirit is not universally loved? Is it a good ship on which to spend extended time or does it become cramped feeling? Do they vary the menus? What about the alternative restaurants for dinner? Does it take seas well since this itinerary can encounter choppy seas? Does the staff communicate well with the passengers? Do they have "hosted" tables a la Seabourn? Is Trivia still a blood sport? We have very, very fond memories of prior cruises but times change so any updated thoughts would be greatly appreciated. HAPPY HOLIDAYS and thanks.

I mostly like Spirit. There are a couple of things I hate. The sinks in the bathrooms were designed by an idiot. They splash water on you if the faucet is turned on to more than a drip. But my husband figured out a work around. Put a washcloth in the sink where the water hits, and you will avoid being sprayed.

The observation lounge looks like the public room at an upscale nursing home. And the theater feels closed in and claustrophobic.

Other than that, it is fine. We have no issues with the restaurants. Always can find somewhere and something I like.

The ship does just fine in rough seas. I have rarely felt any motion at all, and have never felt seasick. And we were in some fairly motile seas at times.

Trivia can be a blood sport, but that is fine with me.

The observation lounge looks like the public room at an upscale nursing home.

I think this is unfair. To the nursing home. A nursing home -- of all places -- would know that people need/want to pee from time to time and provide toilets near public spaces. If one is in the observation lounge on the Spirit and hears nature's call, one must go down two decks to find the closest public toilet. Amazingly poor planning.

I think that the Spirit is far and away the least successful of the five larger SS ships. I hate the use of a highly trafficked area, near reception, etc., for what is meant to pass as The Bar. It totally lacks the intimacy of the first four ships. I think there is a surcharge for dinner in the Asian restaurant, as of course for Champagne. As I recall, there is a charge to use steam in the spa (unless one is having a treatment) and the steamroom is coed. Etc. I hope these issues are resolved on the Muse.

I think this is unfair. To the nursing home. A nursing home -- of all places -- would know that people need/want to pee from time to time and provide toilets near public spaces. If one is in the observation lounge on the Spirit and hears nature's call, one must go down two decks to find the closest public toilet. Amazingly poor planning

You are so right. I didn't even address this, but there is no restroom anywhere close by. Very poor planning.

One appealing feature of the '17 cruise is that it's in Rio for Carnaval.

This is, of course, a matter of personal taste. One of the SS ships was in Rio for Carnival this year, and a couple who nearly live on Silversea were not at all pleased for the Rio stop. Apparently, Rio is so crowded that traffic made regular touring, walking around, etc., difficult. They were very disappointed in the very, very expensive SS tour to the carnival parade. Apparently things were very chaotic and uncomfortable and it was a very, very long night. They do not blame Silversea or the tour operator so much as the inevitable chaos going to an event like carnival implies. These folk are very seasoned travelers and are not shy about exploring but they regretted being in Rio at Carnival time.

As an EMT, I spend a lot of time going into and out of nursing homes and frankly don't agree with what is said about the Obs bar except that there is no WC nearby. It is our bar of choice in the evening.

The main bar is like a train station -- lots of people walking around and no feeling of intimacy at all. Also, the theater is not as nice as on the smaller ships.

We do like the fact that there are a number of restaurants which makes longer cruises more enjoyable. We spent 44 days on the Spirit earlier in the year and generally didn't find the menu too repetitive. Keep in mind that you can always order off menu with 24 hours notice.

Hosted tables only happen on formal nights and usually are hosted by senior staff and officers.

The cruise we took on the Spirit earlier this year was the best one ever! The Captain and senior officers mingled a lot with passengers and it was a very happy ship. Many of those same officers will be on board this time, and we are looking forward to sailing with Vicki as CD.

We are taking private tours in Brazil - as much for safety as for avoiding crowds and seeing only what we want to see. We have not booked the Sambadrome partly due to the cost and partly due to the fact that we went to the Carnival Ball in 1967.

The 66 day Grand Voyage is a wonderful trip. There are many bucket list items to be checked off -- Iguazzu Falls, Puerto Valdez, the Falklands, Torres del Paine, the Straits of Magellan, the Chilean fjords, Machu Picchu and the Panama Canal.

Hope this is helpful.

As an EMT, I spend a lot of time going into and out of nursing homes and frankly don't agree with what is said about the Obs bar except that there is no WC nearby. It is our bar of choice in the evening.

The main bar is like a train station -- lots of people walking around and no feeling of intimacy at all. Also, the theater is not as nice as on the smaller ships.

I did not mean to diss the Observation Lounge overall. I too much preferred it at night to the main bar. I simply found the lack of a toilet to be very disappointing. I agree that main bar is like a train station. It's a nice analogy.

There are lots of design flaws on Spirit. Have we mentioned narrowness of room and lack of space between the foot of the bed and the wall? I trust Muse will be free of these issues.

I did not mean to diss the Observation Lounge overall. I too much preferred it at night to the main bar. I simply found the lack of a toilet to be very disappointing. I agree that main bar is like a train station. It's a nice analogy.

There are lots of design flaws on Spirit. Have we mentioned narrowness of room and lack of space between the foot of the bed and the wall? I trust Muse will be free of these issues.

I was told by a Silversea VP of something or other that the man responsible for the many "interesting" features of Spirit was relieved of all ship design responsibilities.

The 66 day Grand Voyage is a wonderful trip. There are many bucket list items to be checked off -- Iguazzu Falls, Puerto Valdez, the Falklands, Torres del Paine, the Straits of Magellan, the Chilean fjords, Machu Picchu and the Panama Canal.

Hope this is helpful.

EMT - Does this mean you will be on for the entire 66 days? We are boarding in Valparaiso -- looking forward to meeting you.

Dusababy aka Mary Ann

We like it too.

Nothing is perfect.

Agree with comments on the panorama.

Chairs so deep, one could nestle in.

That makes it hard to get out.

In the suites the end of bed and mirror conflict is real. Fun to watch Larry leap over the bed...:-)

Sink issues take some getting use to, but be creative:-) one can make it work.

It's a great ship..

Glass is definitely close to full

you've been so helpful & so thorough. Now we just have to commit to it & not dither around. Over a year always seems so far away & then the time just flies....

We have very, very fond memories of Silversea & the warmth of the staff.

Again, thanks to you all & I'll be lurking on the board for more information....

Happy New Year all & safe & happy travels.

Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is that the Spirit is the designed poorly and cheaply and we would not sail on her again. It was our first Silversea cruise and we would not have sailed with them again if it were not for the excellent service onboard. We subsequently sailed on the Whisper and Shadow and loved the ships (note: stayed in Silver Suites on all three of our Silversea cruises).

Gourmet Gal: You mentioned that you want to check out Seabourn. I hear great things about Seabourn but could not sail on a ship that permits smoking on balconies (unless this has changed in the last few months). Whether you will be next to a balcony where people are smoking is a "crap shoot" and we are not willing to risk it.

Edited by Travelcat2

Dusababy - Alas, we will only be doing the FLL to BA portion. We did the BA to FLL via Valparaiso several years ago on the Whisper and enjoyed it very much.

Sorry we won't meet this time. We will be on the 2017 WC from Auckland to Singapore. Will you be there?

Dusababy - Alas, we will only be doing the FLL to BA portion. We did the BA to FLL via Valparaiso several years ago on the Whisper and enjoyed it very much.

Sorry we won't meet this time. We will be on the 2017 WC from Auckland to Singapore. Will you be there?

Me too sorry you won't be there. Looks like Wes & Co. are getting off in BA. Re 2017 WC no plans - but who knows.

Enjoy and leave some good stuff for us !!

:)