Epic Refurbishment

Single Cruiser

These pictures are amazing at the transformation. I'm definitely booking for this year. The Epic has been my favorite ship to date. I can't wait to compare and see if it still is.

I have to admit, I was very sad to see the tree go from the La Cucina. But wow, it looks very nice and elegant now.

I still don't get this "water golf". :rolleyes: I just can't imagine it being anything special, even after looking at the pictures. I mean really...it's located at the pool deck, it's the place the little ones have to get wet and play...do they really think anyone is going to be able to actually "play" water golf??? :cool: There will be kids and toddlers running and playing in the water sprays everywhere. You won't be able to actually "golf". But I do like the theme and the stuff they replaced it with. Very cool....although I like anything that has to do with the sea and water creatures. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I went though all the pics and skimmed some of the headings. Does anyone know if they updated the Thermal Spa Area? I imagine it was cleaned, but the latest pic shows it with the curtain closed and I am panicking they may have removed the outdoor area :confused: - which is my favorite and why I buy the spa pass.

Edited by Lady Anna & Sir Troy

I went though all the pics and skimmed some of the headings. Does anyone know if they updated the Thermal Spa Area? I imagine it was cleaned, but the latest pic shows it with the curtain closed and I am panicking they may have removed the outdoor area :confused: - which is my favorite and why I buy the spa pass.

Panic not, there is still the balcony. Very little changed, if anything at all, that I can recall.

Got to say Epic really disappointed me with its entertainment venues.

The headliners club is cramped, a bit dingy and difficult to get a drink.

The cavern club is the same when the 'beatles' were playing, 15 minute wait for the waiter to bring you a drink and a small venue so seating is difficult.

Obviously NCL has never been in a british pub or they would never have designed o'sheehans the way they have (more like an amusement arcade than a pub) noise from table hockey is horrendous but at least the wait for a drink was not too bad.

All of the live music venues are poorly laid out with passengers having to walk in front of the entertainers to get to the bar, plus if you are not within 10 feet of the performers it is difficult to hear them (especially the poor piano player)

The worst though is the guy who was in charge of the karaoke which took plaice in the lounge aft of the ship, horrendous, if you must have this 'self entertainment' onboard at least supply a crew member that can warble half a tune, its quite a nice venue that was underused during our cruise.

The standout show on the Epic is Priscilla, outstanding and should not be missed.

To conclude, the Epic is different from any other ship floating, its open plan venues are not to my taste as i like to be entertained while i sup my pint and the layout makes this impossible.Saying that, the entertainers on board were of a good standard (barring karaoke).

Just my opinion

Jazz:cool:

Panic not, there is still the balcony. Very little changed, if anything at all, that I can recall.

Thank you! The two Balinese beds out on the Spa Balcony are my spots of choice. I'd have to upgrade to Haven to get my next spot of choice and I wasn't planning on the extra $$$ for this trip.

Feeling comforted... :cool:

L.A.S.T.

Edited by Lady Anna & Sir Troy

Got to agree on some points with Jazz. We were on the first cruise after the dry dock and never did manage to get into the Cavern. We loved Headliners even though it was very crowded, it was such a great atmosphere. It was hard to get a drink but the servers worked flat out. It was the only bar where I could not get 2 drinks without 2 cards. One for me, one for DH. Don't agree with Jazz about Priscilla. We thought Burn the Floor was excellent and Priscilla was ok but not outstanding. Each to their own. I'm all for a selection of different types of entertainment.

Edited by sandancer

Got to say Epic really disappointed me with its entertainment venues.

The headliners club is cramped, a bit dingy and difficult to get a drink.

The cavern club is the same when the 'beatles' were playing, 15 minute wait for the waiter to bring you a drink and a small venue so seating is difficult.

Obviously NCL has never been in a british pub or they would never have designed o'sheehans the way they have (more like an amusement arcade than a pub) noise from table hockey is horrendous but at least the wait for a drink was not too bad.

All of the live music venues are poorly laid out with passengers having to walk in front of the entertainers to get to the bar, plus if you are not within 10 feet of the performers it is difficult to hear them (especially the poor piano player)

The worst though is the guy who was in charge of the karaoke which took plaice in the lounge aft of the ship, horrendous, if you must have this 'self entertainment' onboard at least supply a crew member that can warble half a tune, its quite a nice venue that was underused during our cruise.

The standout show on the Epic is Priscilla, outstanding and should not be missed.

To conclude, the Epic is different from any other ship floating, its open plan venues are not to my taste as i like to be entertained while i sup my pint and the layout makes this impossible.Saying that, the entertainers on board were of a good standard (barring karaoke).

Just my opinion

Jazz:cool:

I agree with you. I was shocked at how disappointed I was with the entertainment venues. Forget the bathroom issue, the public spaces or lack of them is - and JMO - the biggest design flaw on the vessel.

Annie

Got to agree on some points with Jazz. We were on the first cruise after the dry dock and never did manage to get into the Cavern. We loved Headliners even though it was very crowded, it was such a great atmosphere. It was hard to get a drink but the servers worked flat out. It was the only bar where I could not get 2 drinks without 2 cards. One for me, one for DH. Don't agree with Jazz about Priscilla. We thought Burn the Floor was excellent and Priscilla was ok but not outstanding. Each to their own. I'm all for a selection of different types of entertainment.

Production value wise, Priscilla is very good but performance wise Burn the Floor is the better show.

Annie

Thermal Spa did not change. A little clean-up. Not much else.

I agree with you. I was shocked at how disappointed I was with the entertainment venues. Forget the bathroom issue, the public spaces or lack of them is - and JMO - the biggest design flaw on the vessel.

We love the Epic and have sailed 4 times on her. Lots of different venues with different entertainment. We seem to be able to find something different to do nightly. I suppose you could lock yourself away in the Library or game room if you wanted something more quiet.

• 1 month later...

Probably booking the Epic for February 2017. Excited to see how it's changed since we sailed in 2012.

The photos here are wonderful. Sad to hear that all the clams are gone out of the Haven courtyard. :( That was - by far - where we spent most of our days on the Epic. BUT....those hanging swings look pretty cool! ;) :D

Edited by happy cruzin

Carlos is usually in the atrium cafe - my guess is that they didn't have carlos cakes delivered to Southampton as it isn't their usual port? They used to have the free pound cakes in there before carlos.

http://

To

please

Thank you so much for posting pics of the new Library.

My daughter will be spending some time in there throughout our vacation as she has state exams a few months later (major condition of us going on this particular cruise!!!). We didn't realise that there was no library when we booked and were delighted when we heard it one of the big additions being made by NCL during drydock . Cant wait to sail her.

Thanks again

Hello

Can I ask what makes you say that about the show, I have seen the movie and I know fully what it is about and that the content may not be to every ones taste or liking, But is the stage production not somewhat different and more about the music, the reason that I ask is that NCL must considering it a family show as I am able to reserve tickets for my children when I log into my reservation.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...
While the horses with lamp shades have been retired from the new Bliss entrance, a dog with a lamp shade now watches over the entrance to the Cavern Club.

19b57a6c3cf2b36a7134d4f2a99f4471.jpg

More pics... Some of these are certainly repeats, but I'm too lazy to search and sort.

Walkway to Spice H2O:

WalkwayToSpice2_zpswrclu7go.jpg

We just got off the Epic on her first run out of PC on Nov 12th.

I looked everywhere for this "pooping dog" and did not find it in the Cavern Club. Also, the walkway to H2O did not have these hanging chairs. They were just regular sofa-type chairs.

I liked some of the improvements, but not others. It's definitely a big change in a lot of areas.