Regatta - SF to NYC

fred 15

We didn't just complete this cruise, but took it two years ago, also aboard Regatta.

This is definitely a worthwhile cruise! The Panama Canal is an amazing feat of engineering, especially when you consider it is 100 years old and still functions for over 95% of the world's shipping traffic. The new locks were still under construction when we went through, but they are very near completion now, I believe, and it would be wonderful to see how they will function.

Some of the ports of call were better than others, but if we weren't really interested we simply stayed aboard, and the crew took excellent care of us. My favorite stop was Costa Rica, where we booked a private tour into the jungle and a the 'treetop' walk. The people and food of Costa Rica were wonderful, and the tour of the jungle was amazing. (There was a zipline tour in the same area available, but I can't imagine screaming through the jungle and missing the amazing things we saw on the walk at ground level).

We did book a PH for this cruise, which made it really comfortable. We made many new friends onboard, and even entertained them a couple times in the cabin. The butler service was really helpful and, at least for us, luxurious.

If you are interested, I definitely suggest you book. Oceania is great, we loved the intimate atmosphere of Regatta (which has been updated since we were last aboard), and this cruise is fairly leisurely, making it an interesting and restful vacation, despite the number of ports.

As a side note, we sailed through the Suez Canal the next year aboard Nautica, and the contrast with the Panama Canal was really enlightening.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful next cruise!

Edited by TKS

We also took Regatta on this itin a few years back - the smartest (and fairly expensive) thing we did was grab a Vista suite - a perfect place to take in the Canal crossing.

+1

The forward and aft views are SPECTACULAR on and around the Panama Canal

031103.jpg

032022.jpg And the Regatta has three full decks (Decks 6, 7 & 8) where both standard AND Suite accommodations with an aft view may be had.

aura-regatta.jpg

We went through the Panama Canal 3 times, well worth it! Not on the Regatta. We took her to the Amazon. Lovely ship and crew.

We liked all of the ports of our Canal cruises, some more than others. If you get a chance in Guatemala, go to Antigua on a ship's tour or a ship's "Antigua on your own" tour. It's far inland with just one road. Our ship had to wait 2 hours for the last busses stuck in traffic.

Agree with S & J. The views fore and aft through the canal locks are amazing. Even though you know what is happening, watching a loaded freighter rise above your level in the lock ahead is just astonishing!

We were lucky enough to have booked one of the cabanas (which no longer exist) on the top deck, fore, and we had a real party the day we traversed the canal. Lots of folks stopped by for a look and a visit (O had closed off all the unoccupied cabanas - only two occupied that day - so people had little opportunity to take photos from the highest point on the ship facing forward). I remember one gentleman who came by a second time in the afternoon because he'd tried to download his photos and lost them. He was so sad and apologetic (and such a sweet man!) we pulled up a chair and told him to stay as long as he liked. He changed it for a stool, which he pulled in front of the rail, under the raked windscreen, and took photos and smiled happily for a couple hours. What a fun memory for us all.

Oh, and if you go, remember to take clothes you don't mind getting wet. It rains there A LOT!!! Think having buckets of warm water dumped over your head continuously for 30 minutes at a time. Living in the Southwest desert, as we do, that was also pretty special!

Edited by TKS

Been through the "ditch" 3 times Jan, Feb & March never had any rain

twice on Regatta & one on Marina

It is a long day during the transit so you want to be out & about with lots of sunscreen & water

I agree go to Antigua ..try lunch at the El Convento hotel

Been through the "ditch" 3 times Jan, Feb & March never had any rain

twice on Regatta & one on Marina

It is a long day during the transit so you want to be out & about with lots of sunscreen & water

I agree go to Antigua ..try lunch at the El Convento hotel

LOL, rain is a reality of life anywhere in the tropics.

Thanks for your comments. We have been through the Canal, but not up to Charleston, etc. We were scheduled to be on Regatta for that trip, but had to cancel at the last minute. I was particularly interested in Charleston, NYC, and the specific cruise: Cruise Director, Captain, entertainment, etc. Thanks again.