Opinions please- upgrade from standard to deluxe balcony?

oceanseagle12

Hello! I am booked for the Regal in a standard balcony, category BD. I've been watching prices and available cabins and asked my TA about upsell or upgrade opportunities. She checked with Princess and they can get me into a deluxe balcony, DB. They're calling it a complimentary upgrade because they're won't be an additional out of pocket charge. But I'd lose the 50th anniversary offer of $100 OBC and specialty dining. So it would effectively cost $150.

I know this is subjective but since this is my first time on Princess, I thought I'd check with the experts for opinions/advice.

We are of the opposite opinion. We prefer the standard balcony over the deluxe balcony. Although you have a loveseat in a deluxe balcony we feel that there is less storage space and the cabin seems more crowded. The actual balconies themselves are the same. We are booked on the Royal this fall and the Regal on back to backs in winter in a standard balcony cabin and had our TA mark the cabins NO Upgrade because we didn't' want to chance getting upgraded to a deluxe balcony.

We had the deluxe balcony on our Royal cruise and will have it on our Regal cruise. We enjoyed the love seat over the single chair. However if it came to losing an OBC and a specialty dinner coupon, we would turn it down as that would mean more to us. Our 5cents worth.

On 3 long cruises on the Royal & Regal we've enjoyed deluxe balcony cabins.

We used the love seat couch more than the balcony which on some days was too hot in the direct sunlight & some days were too cold. The couch was great for us to be able to enjoy the ocean view even when the weather wasn't good for us.

On a 17 day TA we paid $249/pp to go from an inside (IA) cabin to a deluxe balcony (DB) cabin which for us was a worthwhile upsell. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hello! I am booked for the Regal in a standard balcony, category BD. I've been watching prices and available cabins and asked my TA about upsell or upgrade opportunities. She checked with Princess and they can get me into a deluxe balcony, DB. They're calling it a complimentary upgrade because they're won't be an additional out of pocket charge. But I'd lose the 50th anniversary offer of $100 OBC and specialty dining. So it would effectively cost $150.

I know this is subjective but since this is my first time on Princess, I thought I'd check with the experts for opinions/advice.

Well my opinion is this.... I am also new to princess and contemplated this very thing....although I am a relatively small lady, I am also very claustrophobic and feel like most cabins on most lines have WAY to much furniture, I'd prefer the space, so when I watched a video of a regal, regular balcony...I knew it was for me, I've never really sat on other cruise line couches but loved the thought of the space, PLUS the plugs are near the head if the bed in the Regular balcony video, bonus for me and my whitenoise machine.

Does anyone know what difference there is between a standard balcony and a premium balcony on the Coral Princess? I don't think that it's the same as a deluxe balcony.

On the Coral you're paying more for premium balconies because of the larger Caribe deck balcony.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Have any of you been in the angled balconies? There are a few of those deluxe versions open. They are listed at the same price as the DB, so I'm wondering if they will let me have one of those. If so, the larger balcony may be enough to push me to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had the deluxe balcony on our Royal cruise and will have it on our Regal cruise. We enjoyed the love seat over the single chair. However if it came to losing an OBC and a specialty dinner coupon, we would turn it down as that would mean more to us. Our 5cents worth.

So, call me confused. You stated you like the Deluxe over the Regular, but then at what price difference is it worth it to you?

The OP says he can get a Deluxe B over a Regular D - so that's up two letter grades, plus the Deluxe part for $75pp ($150 total).

Sounds decent.

The OBC and dining can easily be replaced if OP chooses by buying $150 OBC in Cruise Personalizer for his "free" upgrade. That way he turns it into a $150 upsell and is back to his original situation with funds in the account to spend.

Edited by steelers36

Does anyone know what difference there is between a standard balcony and a premium balcony on the Coral Princess? I don't think that it's the same as a deluxe balcony.

Don't be fooled by the word 'premium.' On the Coral Princess interiors of all non HC balcony cat. cabins are the same. The difference on the Coral Princess is location on the ship and a larger balcony. Note that their are 6 cat. BE cabins with the larger balcony.

Princess only has deluxe balcony cabins on the Royal and Regal and the interiors are different than regular balcony cabins on those ships.

I've been looking at the previous posts and wondering why Princess would upgrade any of us. We were upgraded from D424 to D408 on our upcoming Regal cruise. By the time I saw the email, it was past the time to decline. Hopefully the upgrade will be a good cabin, especially since our friends were originally right across the hall (and now are down the hall). I guess I have two questions...why the upgrade? And is the new cabin comparable...on the diagram it appears to be about 1/32" larger?:D

I've been looking at the previous posts and wondering why Princess would upgrade any of us. We were upgraded from D424 to D408 on our upcoming Regal cruise. By the time I saw the email, it was past the time to decline. Hopefully the upgrade will be a good cabin, especially since our friends were originally right across the hall (and now are down the hall). I guess I have two questions...why the upgrade? And is the new cabin comparable...on the diagram it appears to be about 1/32" larger?:D

Two possible reasons:

o They have a better chance of reselling your original cabin than they have of selling the upgrade cabin.

o They want to make an upsell offer to someone to move into your original cabin.

Either of these options means more income to Princess.

Thank you. Any chance we can get our original cabin? Their email was dated Sept 14 but I just found it yesterday. I assume they have the right to switch us. How would I prevent it from happening on a future cruise? Thanks.

To see if you can get back your original cabin, contact your TA (or Princess if you booked directly).

To avoid in the future, when you book ask the agent to mark your booking "will not accept an upgrade." The default is "will accept any upgrade."

No matter how you look at the upgrade it is not complimentary. Complimentary is free it's costing $150. What a way to put it so it looks good. Whoever said that must have been a used car sales person.

We would definitely opt for the deluxe balcony.We spend a fair amount of time in our stateroom; reading, watching movies, happy hour:D and I for one am not comfortable in the small chair provided. I especially dislike sitting or laying in bed to read or watch TV. We have always said that the major drawback of cruising with Princess has been the lack of comfortable (or any other kind for that matter) seating in balcony staterooms. The addition of seating in balcony cabins, albeit at a premium, was a welcome change with the introduction of the Royal and Regal. It would be a no-brainer for us. Bon Voyage!

Harry

No matter how you look at the upgrade it is not complimentary. Complimentary is free it's costing $150. What a way to put it so it looks good. Whoever said that must have been a used car sales person.

It appears to me that this is switching the original booking to a current sales promotion. When this occurs, the amenities of the original booking are lost if they do not exist with the new promotion.

If this was the Upgrade Fairy waving her magic wand, it would not be a switch to a new promotion and thus the original amenities would not be lost.

118735493_upgradefairy.jpg.a24331f8474539681bc54c61b091511d.jpg

Edited by caribill

Thank you. Any chance we can get our original cabin? Their email was dated Sept 14 but I just found it yesterday. I assume they have the right to switch us. How would I prevent it from happening on a future cruise? Thanks.

As you posted, it's late to get it back since someone else is now likely confirmed into your cabin. But there's a good chance they would scoop up yours if offered the swap.

To each their own, but you were moved only a few doors down in the same hallway, got 11 more square feet approx, plus a sofa, and appears to be similar-sized larger balcony.

I'd take the swap from your original to the new in a heartbeat.

Edited by steelers36