Packing cubes?

First timer36

i thought i would like th, but i LOVE them.

bought 2 sets of 5 about 5 yrs ago ( thanks to cruise critics).

My husband does not use his, I does not like them. Here is how I use them.

a) with extra fees for suitcases, we often try to leave with 1 checked bag and 1 carry on each.

- in the check bagged, my stuff is in the cubes, if we have i night stay pre-cruise. I use 1 cube for the stuff I will need before boarding, no need to go though the entire bag. so usally 3 cubes in suitcase.

carry on is just a back pack.

So I cube is everything that needs to be in carry on, but I won't need until the ship ( ex- wires, paperwork, change of cloth).

the other cube is all "airplane stuff". ( ex - book, music, tablet, snacks).

So just before boarding, I take that cube out, and when I get to my seat, it goes in the pocket in front, then when I "switch" everything goes back in the cube.

At the end of my flight, grab the cube and I know I have everything.

as somebody said before, makes unpacking super easy.

Makes finding things easier.

and I use the cubes on shore excursions for snacks. makes it easier to find small items at the bottom of the bag.

I am sold, but others may have other ways to get organized that works for them.

The TravelWise packing cubes that I use are $29.95 for a set of 5 at Amazon. GREAT!! Lightweight, and can see contents.

They have many, many 5**** reviews also. I have several sets.

Previously I had the Eagle Creek ones, but they weigh more, and you can't clearly see what you have packed.

Also, "ranger roll" t-shirts...check youtube videos.

Love them! Each member of the family has their own color. We bring extras to start putting dirty clothes into until some empty out.

:)

I've been thinking about buying these, and maybe this is a silly question - can these be laundered? I don't really want to put dirty clothes into a packing cube that I'll then later use to pack clean clothes. Thanks!

• 1 year later...
I've been thinking about buying these, and maybe this is a silly question - can these be laundered? I don't really want to put dirty clothes into a packing cube that I'll then later use to pack clean clothes. Thanks!

That is a really good question. I am thinking of purchasing some of packing cubes, but do you put your dirty clothes in them to come home? I would think you would have to. Can the cubes be washed or do you just wipe them out before using them again?

We have been using them for years and we wash them in cold or warm with no dryer. You really don't need to dry them as they air dry very fast, but I think that the dryer heat could damage them. We use the Ebags house brand and have no complaints. We sometimes use just a packing cube along with our toiletry kit for a quick/travel light overnight.

We LOVE our packing cubes. My hubby was not a believer until our first time using them.

We roll all our clothes and always cross pack! Unpacking/packing is easy. Cube comes out and goes on the shelf. I like the medium size the best. Holds for us about 3-4 outfits. Bought two sets from Amazon.

I too use the small one for the plane. Grab out before take off and it has everything I need for the flight.

I love mine. I separate my clothes by function. Night clothes go in on cube, swimwear in another, underwear and socks in another, tops and bottoms had there own cube. Not only could I fit more in one suitcase but it was easy to unpack. I just pulled out a cube and stuck it in a drawer. On the way home all dirty clothes could be packed together and the clean clothes didn't get mixed in with the dirty.

Never travel without them anymore. The extra spaces in your suitcase can be filled with the smaller ones stuffed with lingerie, accessories, scarfs, etc. We did a month in China, moving every couple of days, and managed to stay organized the entire time.

We travel a lot and until a few years ago we never used them. Now we can't do w/o them. They keep things organized and you can also pack a whole lot into them because the compress. Another thing we use for larger stuff such as jackets is large zip lock bags.

DON

I bought some super cheap ones off ebay and they are great. Like others say, you can just pull it out and put it in a drawer- rather than transfering loads of individual pairs of socks etc! I also find them useful because my partner is bound to want something urgently from his suitcase before we have time to unpack properly. So I can just pull out the relevant cube for 'shorts' or whatever and find what he wants without turning the whole suitcase out onto the floor looking for it. Plus it's a good way to seperate clean and dirty laundry on the trip home. So many uses!

Not that impressed - sure it makes unpacking quick by just taking them out of suitcase and putting them in closet or drawers -- but then you have just half-unpacked - you still have to unpack each cube. When you figure time/effort to load and then unload cubes, doing without them is just fine.

Not that impressed - sure it makes unpacking quick by just taking them out of suitcase and putting them in closet or drawers -- but then you have just half-unpacked - you still have to unpack each cube. When you figure time/effort to load and then unload cubes, doing without them is just fine.

Just leave them unzipped and open in the drawer- why bother unpacking them?

I bought some but I didn't like them. I'm pretty small, so for me - one complete outfit (every piece) to a gallon size ziplock bag. Each night I take it out, use Downy wrinkle release and let it steam in the shower. When I take off my dirty clothes, they go right back in a zip lock and directly in my suitcase. I hang anything I'm wearing twice. One outfit for each day, 2 extra outfits (in case), and 3 bags for swimwear.

My formal wear and dresses go in a garment bag, typically, unless they fold and pack easily, to minimize wrinkles.

I've used this method for years and it works best for me. And squeezing all the air out of those ziplocks leaves me TONS of room in my suitcase for the important girly things I need. Hubs says I always bring more toiletries than clothes and he could be right. I just like "my" stuff. LOL

We have never unpacked the cubes, just leave all clothes in them and you still know where everything is. I love them and have found it saves a ton of roomin the suitcase because they hold so much and do compress down. We even use them for camping and have found it makes keeping the trailer so much more organized.

Edited by amydresh

• 1 month later...

I didn't pay for shipping for packing bags for my cruises. I went to Menards and bought the bigger sized zip-lock bags. I used these to put my undies/socks in at the end of the day and they worked great for me. When not on my trips I use them in my dresser drawers to keep things organized.