Live (OMG!!) from Emerald Princess

Bimmer09

Very low key in morning- no Wake show on MUTS. Pool loungers not out by 8 am. Sunrise @ 7, always spectacular. No lounger hogs.

Officers look away if you meet them in hallway-it ain’t Azamara.

Lots of smokers on board but no zone for them on aft decks (as I find on all other ships) overlooking pool. No signing for drinks. They swipe your card. I don’t have drink package.

Haven’t seen/heard any live music by the pool yet

Captain’s Cocktail Party is Thurs (Formal night)

They have REAL wineglasses in the MDR- if you ask!! (this is for Jimmy V Wine..) I drank from a nice Reidel last night-ultra light glass, nice big bowl. But the waiter didn’t know what an aerator is. They had one in Crown Grill and it really brought the flavor alive. I bought a bottle of Pinot Grigio and a bottle of Merlot on first day. Drinking Grolsch @ $5.95 plus 89c tip.

Ship is in excellent condition! All our deck furniture (teak) was varnished on Boarding day but was dried by time we used balcony. Painting daily on deck.

Trident Grill=usual high standard for fast food. Malt vinegar and HP sauce for the Brits like me. Lots of TA pax on board so if you want Sanctuary or ship tour book early upon boarding. No TA for us.

Room service is fast- but forgetful. No bacon for my pancakes. No cream for my coffee. They’re busy on this itinerary so I cut them some slack.

Laundry came back Sunday night –I sent it in Saturday evening

Ricky Jay- full house in Princess theater (2 shows) House roaring with laughter.

10.15 Calypso pool area- Love Boat disco party. Very windy 19 knots off coast of Italy so didn’t even look in.

Sea day Tuesday- Crew show Tues night. 2 port lectures (first of cruise) this morning. Pub Lunch to look forward to….

Norris

Sea Day Tues 9/29

Two more men died of scurvy and madness during the night so we threw them overboard this morning. We are on our last bag of (gluten-free) boll weevils.

Got up at 5.30 to get message off to Cruise Critic. Raining ! The noive!!

1,000 Elites on board? (thanks antsp)

First formal night (Sunday) lots of people dressed-suits and ties, not many tux, no kilts (which I like to see) No kimonos that I saw (always dazzling)

Dining late in MDR-Da Vinci but we will switch to Michelangelo. Staff in DV lacking in polish-but we’ve only eaten there 3 times. Waiter in Sabatini’s breakfast called me a “liar” when I called my cappuccino “beautiful”….gave him my “what you talkin’ about Willis?” look. “ You should say the lady (Carol) is beautiful, not the coffee”

I smiled, not wanting to perform new rectal therapy on an empty stomach as my French toast and bacon hadn’t arrived-but what a clumsy interaction, no matter how well-meaning it might have been. Someone else might have taken offense.

Waiter serving table next to us in DV last night called over to me while taking their drink order-“what do you want to drink, sir?” from 6 feet away- just odd and unpolished.

Carol ordered room service Afternoon tea- asked for just sandwiches and scones- no sweets. So they brought us 2 plates of cakes and cookies and took away the tray after setting up the balcony table so I couldn’t remove all the plates/cups to the hallway afterwards. THESE ARE FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS- I know- but service is in the details. Head waiter in DV stopped by our table on Sunday night and stepped in a bear trap as I had a complaint about two of his staff which I’ll explain in my review following this cruise. He wants to make it up to me in someway….

The Maitre ‘d is Paulo (last name escaping me until I have my 5th cup of coffee)

He’s visible in his shorts and Hawaiian shirts at the Tradewinds smoking section every day.

DANCERS- the excellent 7 pc show band plays in the Wheelhouse Bar. Dance music!!

There was a solo guitar player in the Piazza when I walked by last night- guitar noodling which is a good way to clear a room. I caught snatches of a cool trio-2 violins and accordion. Thought I was in France so I lit up a Gauloise and didn’t shave my underarms for a week.

2 port lectures this morning-Livorno and Genoa.

Herculaneum yesterday- fantastic but would have been happy if the Cameo shop beforehand had been buried in ash also.

Norris

Sea Day Tues 9/29

Two more men died of scurvy and madness during the night so we threw them overboard this morning.

Norris

Great sense of humor. :)

One of my favorite things about cruising is a simple one. The MDR has orange sections for breakfast. Sometimes it's the simple things that matter.

Hi Bimmer, did you pay for your laundry or are you Elite. We have been told 72 hours turnaround for elites

No. Free laundry and priority over Elites as we are in a Suite (and Elite)

Norris

Has there been a change over of staff and officers recently? I was on 15th Aug for 21 days and ALL the senior officers were EXTREMELY friendly and spoke to us by name all the cruise

When 15 of them came to the M&G (some with their daughters in arms) hey stayed chatting with us for about 1.25 hours The best M&G ever:D

Quick catch –up.

Sea day 9/29 rain from 6 am to 5 pm with maybe 2 hrs of spotty sunshine in there somewhere. Thunder, lightning, torrential rain around 1pm for an hour. Cool as a result. Decks were left wet with standing water for hours before action taken

M and G Tues-Adagio. 60 or so attended at peak. CD only officer to show. (Lee Childers) Arranged by Merlot Champagne.

Today Livorno and off the ship for 11 hours-excursion to Florence-Uffizi Gallery etc.

Tomorrow another 7 am start-Cinque Terra tour from Genoa.

Shogun, I asked both a South African and an English rugby fan- not seen any Rugby while on ship. American football was on MUTs on Monday.

Norris

Rugby gets next-to-no attention in the US. :(

A bit sad that the US can send a team to the Rugby World Cup, but no-one in America cares.

Why show NFL games that are of no interest to anyone else in the world other than Americans, whereas Rugby is played by countries as widespread as Canada, Japan and Georgia?

Having said that, with the recent English result against Wales, I would probably be glad if I couldn't watch the England - Australia match this Saturday.

A bit sad that the US can send a team to the Rugby World Cup, but no-one in America cares.

Why show NFL games that are of no interest to anyone else in the world other than Americans, whereas Rugby is played by countries as widespread as Canada, Japan and Georgia?

Having said that, with the recent English result against Wales, I would probably be glad if I couldn't watch the England - Australia match this Saturday.

Here in the USA we do not have Rugby leagues; most do not even know what Rugby is.

If there are leagues it is at the University level and not professional (unless I am not aware of them).

It may depend on how many Americans are on board or because Princess is a USA based company.

Americans spend TONS of money watching sports so I am pretty sure the cruise lines think the NFL will bring in more interest and more spending at the bars-JMHO.

No offense intended here....:)

Friday Oct 2

Yesterday long excursion to Cinque Terra. Left Genoa 7.30 got back 5.30- 1 hr later than advertised. Cold and windy, some gentle drizzle for an hour or so.

Approx 230 pax along for the ride-swamped coffee shops and restaurants in Monterosso.

Another great show in Princess theater- Blame it on the Boogie? A 70’s disco extravaganza. 17 singers and dancers onstage in a colorful energetic production.

No complaints re entertainment.

Tues night was Peter Howarth lead singer of the Hollies for past 9 years-great singer and guitar player.

Weds night fantastic ventriloquist –very funny-interactive with audience-Kieran Powell.

Kory Simon Broadway singalong last night-packed Crooners every night. Very witty.

Met an MDR waiter with personality and efficiency last night-from Thailand.

Rough seas Thurs night heading for Cannes.

Heavy rain this morning approaching Cannes- 7 am Capt cancelled port. Bummer as I was itching to go ashore in France.

Last breakfast in Sabatini’s coming up. Sanctuary booked but doubtful if it is usable.

Got some pics and video of Costa Concordia in Genoa. Sad.

Art auction in Explorers-someone paid $3500 for a painting as I was walking past a couple of days ago.

Have taken about 1,000 pics so far. There are about 10 ship’s photographers onboard….so smile!

Skipped Captains’ cocktail party. Formal night last night lots of tuxes and white dinner jackets. Elegant.

Norris