Tips on food must haves!

Shebbieal

Sailing Celebrity for first time. On Reflection in December.

What are food/snack must haves? Like Coconut Ranger cookies for a snack on RCCL, or Garlic Tiger Shrimp in main dining room on RCCL.

Thanks

Sherry

Believe it or not, my favorite item (in the MDR, Murano is another story...it was ALL excellent there) was the Beef Cheek. Kid you not. So tender, so beefy, so tasty. Try it! If you can get around the name!!! :rolleyes:

One of my favorite things to eat on a cruise becomes a scavenger hunt. For lunch, a turkey BLT.

Go to the sandwich station and get a croissant with lettuce, tomato and mayo.

(I usually do something to pare down the amount of bread).

Go to the potato bar and get the bacon

Go to the carving station and get the fresh turkey.

Eat and repeat!

For breakfast, I love to get eggs Benedict. You can get them in the buffet area.

As much as I love English muffins, I just eat the eggs, ham and sauce. Yum!

4 PM scones. My husband eats 3/4 of one and I eat the other quarter. With a ton of whipped cream. Yum

Low carb, high fat. I'm trying!

My must have are escargot and creme brûlée every night. The prime rib is great, but that is normally in the MDR and not in Blu. We have in the past not dined in Blu the 1st night and went to Select Dining to have the prime rib. The carpaccio is great. All of the East Indian food at lunch is very good. Lets not forget the French Onion soup and goat cheese souffle.

On a recent 12 night trip on the Silhouette I had the French onion soup every night....really good. If my diet allowed it you would find me on line for ice cream every day, and looking for prime rib when ever it was offered. That said, they do some great vegeterian dishs every night but seeing that prime rib, well it is very tempting..

Stop! Please please stop. I can't handle this. :eek::eek::eek:

Going on the Reflection in December and on a mission to shave a ton of lbs before I board. Then you people!!! Yes, I said it, you cruisecritic'ers!!! Throw these, these awful-ly delicious, ahem, gorgeous, errr fattening wholesome delights in front of me.. Must....fight...the...temptations....:p

P.S. My journey these next few months will be worth the wait!

Geez, I am getting hungry! But being a contrarian by birth :) we must admit to not finding ourselves running anywhere on a ship for their Prime Rib. I love good Prime Rib but my idea of this item is a slab of beef (with the bone) about 2 inches thick and bloody red! We have never seen this on any cruise ship (including the ultra luxury lines). But we did forget to mention Celebrity ice cream (glad others were not as forgetful) which is often excellent.

Hank

Where does one obtain the ice cream, or do you all mean a la carte gelato?

Also, anyone care to weigh in on breakfast buffet croissant quality? I mostly do low carb (which has enabled me to keep 75lbs off for years), but vacation time for me is signaled by plain ol' croissants. (Nothing against ice cream.)

4pm Scones sound great! Where do I find them?

Oceanview Café....one day they also had warm, mini croissants with sharp cheddar inside of them in the same area at 4pm. wow! Dare I say that besides all of the other wonderful, decadent food, those croissants really stood out.

Have to agree that Celebrity Escargot is great. But DW (who is quite a chef) argues that if you put that much garlic and butter on anything (even cardboard) it will taste great :). That being said she also loves the Escargot.

Hank

Fully agree. People love this dish because of butter and garlic. Just serve it with mushrooms instead of escargots and it tastes even better

So many amazing foods we tried on our first Solstice cruise. We loved the food so much, this was one of the big reasons we booked another two cruises to come back and eat more!

Buffet - we didn't eat much at the buffet however loved the fresh bagels, cream cheese, and smoked salmon for quick port day breakfasts.

Main dining room - we were very impressed with sea day lunches and dinners here. While we thought the specialty restaurants were amazing, we would have been very happy dining at the main dining room each night.

Lunch highlights included beautiful pastas, crispy chicken and a chilled pineapple soup.

Dinner highlights included kangaroo, crocodile, steak tartare, tuna sashimi, escargots, bombe Alaska, olive oil mousse.

Silks - the dumplings and satay skewers were amazing!

Tuscan - loved the French onion soup, octopus carpaccio, steak tartare, creme brûlée and the most amazing filet minon.

Murano - wow. The cheese cart, the goats cheese soufflé, the lobster prepared table side, the venison. The mini taster desserts.

Room service - Murano cheese plate cost approximately US$12 but was just amazing! Great to enjoy with a wine in Cellarmasters pre dinner.

All the pastries and cakes in Bacio Cafe were fantastic, and we also loved Bistro On 5 for the beautiful savoury and sweet crepes.

Fully agree. People love this dish because of butter and garlic. Just serve it with mushrooms instead of escargots and it tastes even better

Or top the escargot with a mushroom and parmesan cheese, add the butter and garlic, bake until brown and bubbly, and it's even better still!

A few of our favorites:

Quisine - lamb chops, the bbq pork spring rolls, tombstone dessert

Buffet - eggs benedict (when made to order), paella, afternoon sushi, the cookies

MDR - my son and I love the caesar salad every day. escargot as mentioned. I think most of the beef is good and enjoy the fish dishes.

Murano - goat cheese soufflee, lobster, I know everyone says chocolate soufflee but I love the orange grand marnier version.

Have to agree that Celebrity Escargot is great. But DW (who is quite a chef) argues that if you put that much garlic and butter on anything (even cardboard) it will taste great :). That being said she also loves the Escargot. Hank

That is why so many people like lobster (the butter part). Many do not know what lobster tastes like :eek:

Believe it or not, my favorite item (in the MDR, Murano is another story...it was ALL excellent there) was the Beef Cheek. Kid you not. So tender, so beefy, so tasty. Try it! If you can get around the name!!! :rolleyes:

I am DEFINITELY going to try the beef cheeks on our next cruise! B2B on the Summit Oct. 18!

Where does one obtain the ice cream, or do you all mean a la carte gelato?

On the Summit the ice cream is right inside the buffet on the left hand side as you enter. Not sure if it moves around on the different ships but I know where it is on that one since we stop there every night for cookies and ice cream YUMMY.

My husband also swears by the tacos on the buffet. Me, creme brulee lunch day on the buffet. Yes, I bring one of each to the table and thoroughly enjoy them.

On the Summit the ice cream is right inside the buffet on the left hand side as you enter. Not sure if it moves around on the different ships but I know where it is on that one since we stop there every night for cookies and ice cream YUMMY.

My husband also swears by the tacos on the buffet. Me, creme brulee lunch day on the buffet. Yes, I bring one of each to the table and thoroughly enjoy them.

Thank you very much!

On some of the ships, during certain hours, there is an ice cream station on both sides of the buffet. They often have a different assortment of flavors, so if I don't find my favorites on one side, I go over to the other! (I'm looking at YOU, coconut...and butter pecan...and dulce de leche...and cinnamon...and mango...not to mention the sorbets :D)

Room service - Murano cheese plate cost approximately US$12 but was just amazing! Great to enjoy with a wine in Cellarmasters pre dinner.

All the pastries and cakes in Bacio Cafe were fantastic, and we also loved Bistro On 5 for the beautiful savoury and sweet crepes.

Wait!! The fabulous Murano cheese is available through room service?? Is that true on all ships? My husband my weep with joy!