Possibly sick child 3 days before cruise.... Help!

CruiseMom87

Why not, if someone is indeed sick with a common cold so much where as it affects their work duties then they need to find out why, do you really want to work with someone sneezing and or coughing all day long sitting next to you? As a supervisor I have sent people home for that as it is them that puts the rest of the work force at risk, again it comes down to honesty and integrity about risking everyone else.........;)

Trust me here as a family we all went through a HUGE learning curve about watching out for possible risks and even though it has been 10 years since my fathers passing I still have that sunk in my mind and watch out for the symptoms and to prevent it from getting worse because of other selfish needs and spreading the wealth when sick..............

That is very nice of you as a supervisor but I can assure you I've had many who didn't let me take off of work unless I has a fever and a doctors note (which cost me money to go get).

ImageUploadedByForums1443653114.224809.jpg.6b3e8b80fa4c309cc29fe4b2c15d2651.jpg

This thread has gotten completely out of control.

Everyone has germs. Especially kids.

Everyone can spread germs whether or not they have symptoms. This is especially true for medical personnel who have crazy amazing immune systems because of the constant exposure(s).

Wash your damn hands. Sneeze in your elbow. Cough in your elbow, even if you're just clearing your throat.

If your immunosuppressed, wear a mask and wash your hands more. But in all honesty, a cruise is probably not the BEST choice of vacation just due to the close quarters and such.

I don't believe people should "avoid vacations" because of one reason or another. Just take the precautions you need to do.

When I was teaching kids undergoing chemo I stayed away when I or my kids were sick. When they went out they wore a mask.

There were several times when I did not go with my husband to get his chemo treatments because I was sick or our 1 year old was sick and I didn't want to bring germs into a population of immunosuppressed people. But when he was out he wore the mask.

I also did not go stay in a hotel when I was sick and he was home, nor did we place my sick daughter with family while he was going through this. People get sick and we all had to deal with it. We took precautions by washing frequently and not kissing or hugging when I or my daughter was sick.

I'm wondering what all these other immuno compromised people do when their family members get sick? Do you send them to live somewhere else? Serious question, not trying to be snarky as it is a serious topic.

Edited by aflyingbuttress

If you only knew what these people go through on a daily basis, on guard, alert and very much aware of the world, now if the ones spreading the germs carelessly without a care knew, then even a suggestion of heading out would not even be at question......;) How about the senors out in the world whos suppression system is not at full strength, is it ok for them to stay home afraid of the uncaring world because of selfishness?:cool:

The point is that nobody should have to stay home, unless we are talking about a seriously contagious illness. But we're not, we are talking about the common cold, which is called common for a reason.

It's simple.

If you have a common cold, be considerate. Wash your hands often. Don't sneeze without covering your mouth. Don't leave tissues lying around. Touch as little as possible. Stay home if you can.

If you are immuno compromised, be careful. Wash your hands often. Wear a mask if necessary. Touch as little as possible. Stay home if you can.

It's really not fair to ask either of these people to completely alter their lives. Everyone needs to take care of eachother and everyone needs to take care of themselves.

Edited by aflyingbuttress

So which is more important to you?

Buying travel insurance in case a family member gets sick.

Getting a passport so that if you do have a serious issue you can fly back home.

I was once in the Travel industry and can tell you that 99% of the guests will board even if they are running a high fever, because they were to cheap to buy insurance and they didn't give a crap what happens to anyone else. We are going no matter what.

Not saying what you should do because of your childs cough but if you don't have a passport, please get one for future cruises.

My Thoughts

According to post 85 OP posted on her roll call

Yes she did. Probably at the port right now, though I don't know when sail time is for Fantasy. Kind of rude to start such a controversial thread, come back to read the thread (as late as 8:30), then not update.

Yes she did. Probably at the port right now, though I don't know when sail time is for Fantasy. Kind of rude to start such a controversial thread, come back to read the thread (as late as 8:30), then not update.

Have to agree somewhat. However, with the way this thread has gone and the people screaming for everyone who sniffles to stay home because we are all somehow responsible for someone else taking their own precautions, I'm not sure I would have come back either. All it would take would be for her to say she was going with her child and then everyone would attack.

Exactly.

I was concerned about the child when I read the op's post.

She said that she was taking the child to the doctor, so when she did not come back to update I checked to see if she had posted at all.

I found a post about purchasing cigarettes and cigars and smoking them onboard. :rolleyes:

And a post that said that she was on her way to the port, presumably with the coughing child.

Personally, I am done with this thread and done with the op.

The judgment on this thread...

Just because the OP smokes does not mean she is smoking around her child. And no one has absolutely any idea whether her child turned out to be sick or not sick or not. Even if the child was sick, it's entirely possible that she/he is feeling better by now.

My daughter had strep throat 2 weeks ago. She was back to her normal self the day after she started taking her antibiotics, even with her minor cough. The antibiotics need to be taken for 10 days but she was no longer contagious after 24 hours. If I had brought her on a cruise a few days later she might cough but she would not be infecting anyone.

Lets give the OP a break please. She said she was taking her kid to the doctors. If the kid was sick she/he got antibiotics and was no longer contagious by the time they left for the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
And also her post was about her husband smoking, not OP smoking. It is entirely possible and even likely that dad walks away when he's smoking.

That may be true, but it is also true that the op posted about a sick child and then never came back to the thread that she started even though she did come to the boards to post in other threads.

Edited by mzloolue

I found this at a University Medical Center site:

"Normal body temperature varies by person, age, activity, and time of day. The average normal body temperature is generally accepted as 98.6°F (37°C). Some studies have shown that the "normal" body temperature can have a wide range, from 97°F (36.1°C) to 99°F (37.2°C). "

"A temperature over 100.4°F (38°C) usually means you have a fever caused by an infection or illness."

I'm not saying the child doesn't have a cold. Nor am I saying the child does have a cold. It does seem, however, that a temp of 99.1 falls short of being an automatic indicator of infection or illness.

Just trying to inject a little fact here, among all the opinion. If the doctor does diagnose the child with a cold, or anything contagious, obviously the child shouldn't cruise. But lets let the doctor make that call. OP, I hope your child is okay and you get to cruise. But if your child does prove to have something contagious, please think of others. I'm hoping the best for you.

I agree with quote above about the fever. I am a nurse and send information to Medicare (CMS) and they define a temp as being 100.4 and above. There is also such a thing as a baseline temp. Some people run higher than 98.6 and some run lower. I always take daily temps on my patients to get a baseline.

I don 't blame the OP for not coming back to bring everyone up to date. Wow!

Gosh people, we cannot live in a bubble! Hand washing is the easiest way to keep from getting sick (anywhere!).

I hope the child is well, and the OP is enjoying her cruise :)

DH and I recently did a sort of b2b. We were on liberty when she had the fire, then switched to the magic. The day between our cruises I knew I was coming down with a bug. Not really much I could do but continue my vacation. Just was a cold, but ran a little fever the first couple of days and felt miserable. Tried to lay low. Pretty much stayed in my room and always asked for a table for two at dinner. I tried to be extra careful not to spread germs, but no guarantees. I really think it is unreasonable to expect someone with a common cold to give up their vacation.

I wouldn't have come back either.

This thread has made me wonder what some people will do or think when we are checking in for our cruise next week. I have an issue with my sinuses and sneeze and blow my nose all day long. I have for years. I'm not sick or contagious but with the way some people spoke on here people will probably condemn me and possibly "report" me.

Are we going to beat her up sitting behind a keyboard? If the child was better by sailing, she could have said so.

Maybe she wasn't scared of getting beat up... perhaps she just didn't want to deal with the childishness that ensued after her first question. I don't blame her either.